PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Splitter won't be in mix yet

timvp
06-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Monroe: Splitter won't be in mix yet
By Mike Monroe

When the Spurs drafted Tiago Splitter last year, team officials believed the fact he was under contract through 2007-08 to a Spanish league team had allowed the 6-foot-11, 22-year-old with draft-lottery talent to slide to them at the end of the first round.

They were willing to wait one more year to get a player of his ability and size.

Now the Spurs' plans to sign Splitter this summer have been put on hold again, a victim of his outstanding play in Europe last season and the continuing decline of the U.S. dollar against the Euro.

Splitter on Friday signed a new contract with Tau Ceramica through the 2011-12 season. Reports last week out of Brazil, Splitter's home country, placed the value of the contract at several times the maximum deal the Spurs could offer him, just below $1 million for the 2008-09 season.

While Splitter had maintained for months that his goal was to join the Spurs this summer, and team officials had expressed confidence in recent weeks that he would do just that, his decision to stay in Spain was driven by economics. Not only was Tau Ceramica's offer for much more than the Spurs could pay, the difference was exaggerated by the dollar's continuing slide against the Euro.

Acknowledging that Splitter's decision to remain in Spain was a setback, Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said the team would address needs on its front line through other resources.

“We're excited Tiago is going to have an opportunity to continue to grow in a very good program,” Buford said Saturday. “We'll approach the position through the resources we have, and look forward to the opportunity to add him to our team at the earliest opportunity.”

Splitter's deal gives him the option to sign with an NBA team after the 2009-10 season, but includes a provision requiring the team to pay an unspecified amount to Tau Ceramica to buy out the remainder of the deal if he exercises the option.

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement with its players' union includes a rookie salary scale that limits the amount first-round picks can be paid. The Spurs can't offer Splitter more than $970,000. Further, they are limited to paying only $500,000 to buy out a contract of someone playing overseas.

Two of the Spurs' big men, Robert Horry, 37, and Kurt Thomas, 35, are unrestricted free agents, but Splitter's decision figures to effect their situations. The Spurs should be expected to make a concerted effort to bring back Thomas, acquired from Seattle in a February trade.

After a season in which he played only 45 games for a variety of reasons, Horry has contemplated retirement. Two days after the Spurs were eliminated from the playoffs by the Lakers, he said he was still “up in the air” about playing again. He said he prefers to remain with the Spurs if he opts to return.

Ian Mahinmi, a 21-year-old power forward-center who spent most of the season with the Austin Toros of the NBA's Development League, will play for the Spurs' summer league team in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City in July. Splitter's decision makes his development even more vital.

“This doesn't change how we approach putting together the best team we can,” Buford said. “We will continue to explore all avenues to improve.”

The Spurs can retain Splitter's NBA rights as long as they wish. Last summer, they traded their rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola, their second-round pick in 2004, to the Houston Rockets.

Scola also had been under contract to Tau Ceramica. He averaged 10.3 points and 6.4 rebounds in his rookie season with the Rockets.

Budenholzer to stay: Saturday's news that the Phoenix Suns had made Terry Porter their new coach had reverberating effects in San Antonio. It means that Mike Budenholzer will remain a Spurs assistant coach.

Budenholzer was one of 10 applicants who interviewed for the Phoenix job. He didn't seem particularly saddened by the news that Porter had gotten it.

“I'm very happy to stay here,” Budenholzer said. “I couldn't lose. I was in a win-win situation.”

Budenholzer has been with the Spurs for 14 seasons, 12 as an assistant coach. This season was his first as Gregg Popovich's lead assistant.

Budenholzer had been around so long, in fact, that he was on the staff when the newest Suns coach played for the Spurs. Porter spent three seasons in San Antonio from 1999-2002.

“I think Terry was a great hire,” Budenholzer said. “Hopefully, he'll do a good job — just not too good a job.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060808.SpurSplitter.en.36e17e2.html

timvp
06-07-2008, 11:42 PM
“We're excited Tiago is going to have an opportunity to continue to grow in a very good program,” Buford said Saturday.

ROFL

That is the lamest spin job I've ever seen out of the Spurs FO.

dbreiden83080
06-07-2008, 11:44 PM
ROFL

Ya think, excited oh yeah i bet Pop did fucking handstands in his office when this shit went down. RC your an idiot.

T Park
Not much else he can say.

Mr. Body
I wonder if Buford realizes what a bad job they've done lately.

T Park
06-07-2008, 11:45 PM
What else should he say?

The collective barganing agreement with the rookie scale sucks?

Tiago is a bogarting prick?

dbreiden83080
Not much else he can say.

Should have said nothing, that came off pathetic

timvp
Ian Mahinmi, a 21-year-old power forward-center who spent most of the season with the Austin Toros of the NBA's Development League, will play for the Spurs' summer league team in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City in July. Splitter's decision makes his development even more vital.

http://www.spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

dbreiden83080
http://www.spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

All hail Ian

timvp
06-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Splitter's deal gives him the option to sign with an NBA team after the 2009-10 season, but includes a provision requiring the team to pay an unspecified amount to Tau Ceramica to buy out the remainder of the deal if he exercises the option.RC has a better chance to win the lottery than to ever get Splitter.

Mr. Body
06-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Jesus: Ian is my homeboy.

T Park
06-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Should have said nothing, that came off pathetic

So the media says "comment on the Splitter contract"

he should say, "No comment"??

I'm not defending anything, just curious what you think the guy should say.

ElNono
06-07-2008, 11:49 PM
ROFL

Well, what do you expect him to say?
"That Splitter douche makes me look like an idiot by wasting yet another first round pick. I'm gonna put forth my resignation letter tomorrow."

Sam Presti, we miss you. Come back!!!!

ducks
06-07-2008, 11:53 PM
I think he should have called him out
said he promised to come over to the spurs this year and did not

spurs have to put these punks in their place

timvp
06-07-2008, 11:53 PM
What else should he say?

We are obviously disappointed that we won't have the services of Tiago Splitter this upcoming season. He's a great talent who we hope will join the team at some point in the future. Although the news is a bit of setback, we will continue our process of improving the team as best we can.

No need to lie and claim to be "excited". That comes across as a pathetically blatant lie.

ElNono
06-07-2008, 11:55 PM

I think he could have skipped the 'thrilled' word. You're desperate for a big, Splitter could be that big, but now you're thrilled he's not coming? That sounds pretty dumb right there...

T Park
06-07-2008, 11:56 PM
No need to lie and claim to be "excited". That comes across as a pathetically blatant lie.

:lol

Ok.

Guess I don't see it as that big of a deal.

Apologies.

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Splitter's deal gives him the option to sign with an NBA team after the 2009-10 season, but includes a provision requiring the team to pay an unspecified amount to Tau Ceramica to buy out the remainder of the deal if he exercises the option.

RC has a better chance to win the lottery than to ever get Splitter.

Scariest part of the whole article...

I've been saying that it might actually be a positive for Splitter to have signed a longer term deal with potential opt-out after two years under the premise that it would be easy to bring him over and that Tau couldn't just offer boatloads more money.

After seeing that ambiguous statement, I'm worried. If it's anywhere over the $500K authorized, it will effectively come out of Tiago's already minescule rookie scale contract right?

ChumpDumper
06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Splitter has to pay whatever part of the buyout that goes above the NBA limit, so that negotiation point is all on his people. They actually had the upper hand in this negotiation, so if Splitter ever actually wants to go to the NBA, his people will have made sure that buyout is affordable to him.

dbreiden83080
06-08-2008, 12:11 AM

Say no comment or tell the truth, Duncan will be 33 next year and by the time Splitters deal is done the window to win another title will be gone. This was a mess for the Spurs, RC fucked up, cop to it or say no comment.

ElNono
06-08-2008, 12:18 AM
I just think this closed the door for him. Think about it: in 2010 we're supposed to have enough cap space to go after some star talent. We're going to need as much cap space as possible, especially since Holt rarely wants to venture over the cap, so basically, we're going to put our money somewhere else and we're going to have to let go of his rights to open more cap space.
I think the best scenario is trading his rights in 2010, for some kind of pick, to at least get something from this guy.

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 12:21 AM
I just think this closed the door for him. Think about it: in 2010 we're supposed to have enough cap space to go after some star talent. We're going to need as much cap space as possible, especially since Holt rarely wants to venture over the cap, so basically, we're going to put our money somewhere else and we're going to have to let go of his rights to open more cap space.
I think the best scenario is trading his rights in 2010, for some kind of pick, to at least get something from this guy.

Spurs couldn't spare $1M for a likely starting Center? Doubt it...

If Splitter wants to come over in 2010, Spurs will welcome him with open arms.

raspsa
06-08-2008, 12:24 AM
I really can't blame Splitter for taking the money.. just maybe once he's built up his bank account enough he'll feel secure enough to try his luck in the NBA in a couple of years.. too bad though because the Spurs need him now.

ElNono
06-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Spurs couldn't spare $1M for a likely starting Center? Doubt it...

If Splitter wants to come over in 2010, Spurs will welcome him with open arms.

I tought the same thing about Scola. You know how that worked out..

objective
06-08-2008, 12:32 AM
for some reason RC referring to Tau, the multi-million euro empire of euroleague, as a 'program' like it was some college is very amusing to me.

ChumpDumper
06-08-2008, 12:34 AM
I tought the same thing about Scola. You know how that worked out..He wasn't $1 million for each of four years.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2008, 08:47 AM
:pctoss

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 08:51 AM
:pctoss

Well, we already knew that. The real question is: how much?

exstatic
06-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Splitter will probably never play a minute in silver and black. I see the Spurs carrying his cap slot until 2010, and then offloading his Tau ass as a throw in for a trade so they can clear cap space.

baseline bum
06-08-2008, 11:56 AM
ROFL

Maybe RC believes he can sucker some GM into taking the rights to his potential. Too bad for him, Isiah got fired this summer.

Bruno
06-08-2008, 12:01 PM
:rollin

Buford >>>> Hilary at denying the reality

"We're excited" :lol

A couple of days ago, I was pissed at the lack of Spurs coverage, but when I see what Spurs say to the press, I rather take no coverage than that.

wildbill2u
06-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Lots of possibilities in the future that make any predictions now a gamble.

NEGATIVE
1. Splitter plays so well that Tau offers him another even bigger contract to stay--and the Spurs are still limited by the rookie pay scale and buy out limits.

2. Splitter gets hurt and never regains his ability to play at a high level.

3. They trade Splitter's rights and Matt Bonner to Denver for Najera and Chucky Atkins.

POSITIVES

1. The NBA gets its head out of its ass, recognizes they are in a bidding war with well-funded overseas teams and junks the rookie pay scale and drafting of Euro pros.

2. Splitter has a NBA moment and decides he really wants to play in the NBA, even taking a pay cut if the finances aren't comparable with a huge new contract with TAU.

3. Spurs fall apart with injuries to two of the big three and wind up with a #1 lottery pick which they use to pick up the next Tim Duncan. They now don't need Splitter and trade his rights to Denver for Najera and Chuck Atkins.

xmas1997
06-08-2008, 12:53 PM
All we can do is hope that Splitter doesn't pull a Jav and take up motorcycle riding as a hobby.

nfg3
06-08-2008, 12:54 PM
So what do the Spurs do now? But more to the point is what does the NBA or each individual team do in the future about his type of situation? Here we have a player that IMHO said he would come over to the NBA the following season and play if drafted. So an NBA team(in this case the Spurs) draft him and a year later get nothing. Essentially we have a verbal agreement from a player who reneges on it at a later date to reap much greater financial rewards. Reaping the $$$$ isn't the point IMO but verbally committing to the Spurs and then leveraging - if indeed Splitter was or his agent was doing this intentionally - that against your present team for substanialy greater $$$ and thereby leaving the Spurs pretty much empty handed is. IMO - this is unethical and pure manipulation - if indeed that was what was going on from the start. Maybe Tiago was naive and didn't have all the facts and after considerable thought later on decided that it was in his best interests to stay with Tau. That is understandable and considering the vast differences in $$$ the best economical decision but that is not relevant to me. If you give your word - draft me and I will play for you in the near future - and that casues an organization to give their word - drafting said player - then both sides need to step up and honor that committment. In any case regardless of motive the fact remains - a NBA team wasted a first round pick on a foreign player and most likely will receive nothing in return. This is a sticky situation and there are many ways to view it but I'm trying to look at the end results.

* If you verbally commit to be drafted by the NBA and are then I feel you should be held to that committment. There might be a time frame attached to that committment due to previous contract committments but knowing the short length of a player's career it needs to be very limited. Maybe there should be a form that all draftees have to sign to that effect. If any player breaks that agreement then they can be banned from playing in the NBA forever or a limited time. Or other consequences could be thought up. Some Euro players would probably do it anyway since $$$ talks and BS walks. If they get the money by leveraging their present Euro team against the future in the NBA then they really didn't care to play in the NBA in the first place.

*Presently I feel that many if not all NBA GM's will shy away from foreign players in the first round due to the restraints of the CBA in offering contract $$$ to these players versus what the Euroleague teams can. I frankly don't see that provision in the CBA being altered since it was put there to control costs and this situation implies a possible bidding war between the leagues.

The Scola & Splitter situations have deprived the Spurs of players that could help this team stay competitive. The repercussions in the near future won't be pretty. Just ask the Timberwolves what they went through when they lost those first rounds picks (3?) in the infamnous Joe Smith deal.

This will be interesting to see how this plays out.

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Are people seriously advocating junking the rookie pay scale?

Don't you realize that pay scale is the only thing that makes it possible for a Cleveland to draft and sign a LeBron James instead of him holding out at the start for a trade to New York or LA?

oligarchy
06-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Are people seriously advocating junking the rookie pay scale?

Don't you realize that pay scale is the only thing that makes it possible for a Cleveland to draft and sign a LeBron James instead of him holding out at the start for a trade to New York or LA?

There's a difference in advocating a different pay scale for foreign professionals, rather than collegiate players.

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 01:13 PM
There's a difference in advocating a different pay scale for foreign professionals, rather than collegiate players.

Oh, yeah, that'll work. A pay scale that lets Tiago Splitter and Luis Scola get paid more than Kevin Durant and Greg Oden.

oligarchy
06-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Oh, yeah, that'll work. A pay scale that lets Tiago Splitter and Luis Scola get paid more than Kevin Durant and Greg Oden.

Yeah, such a stupid idea. Splitter makes more than the rookie scale. How much did Durant make last year? Oh, that's right. :rolleyes

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah, such a stupid idea. Splitter makes more than the rookie scale. How much did Durant make last year? Oh, that's right. :rolleyes
ROFL. So pay them more because they're foreign and in a system that allows them to start getting paid at age 17 or whatever? Meanwhile restrict US players from even getting drafted until they've played a year of college?

Doesn't matter anyway because the Players' Association would never let that bullshit fly.

picnroll
06-08-2008, 01:23 PM
One thing that could be done is allow an escalating scale of what can be offered each year post draft year. Say you draft a player and can offer him rookie scale year one. If he doesn't sign each year you could offer him more so that by year three or so you could offer up to MLE type money if you wanted him and that's what it took to bring him over.

Then there would be some bite to Euro temas paying to develop talent they could lose when fully mature.

oligarchy
06-08-2008, 01:30 PM
ROFL. So pay them more because they're foreign and in a system that allows them to start getting paid at age 17 or whatever? Meanwhile restrict US players from even getting drafted until they've played a year of college?

Doesn't matter anyway because the Players' Association would never let that bullshit fly.

ROFL? If you don't get the difference, I am sorry for you. Perhaps some light reading? http://www.amazon.com/Your-Favorite-Seuss-Bakers-Dozen/dp/0375810617/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212949777&sr=8-1

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 01:38 PM
One thing that could be done is allow an escalating scale of what can be offered each year post draft year. Say you draft a player and can offer him rookie scale year one. If he doesn't sign each year you could offer him more so that by year three or so you could offer up to MLE type money if you wanted him and that's what it took to bring him over.

Then there would be some bite to Euro temas paying to develop talent they could lose when fully mature.

As opposed to the idiocy of separate pay scales for Euro players, this actually is a potentially fair solution.

The risk is that it could set up situations where it would be more financially advantageous for a drafted US player to go play in Europe for 2-3 years before coming back to sign in the NBA.

oligarchy
06-08-2008, 01:50 PM
As opposed to the idiocy of separate pay scales for Euro players, this actually is a potentially fair solution.

The risk is that it could set up situations where it would be more financially advantageous for a drafted US player to go play in Europe for 2-3 years before coming back to sign in the NBA.

Fair solution? ROFL. Follow the link I posted. SERIOUSLY.

There's a way to setup a fair scale for European players that already make more than the NBA rookie scale. I'm sorry you can't comprehend that.

picnroll
06-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Possibly, but that would have an upside too. You could actually see how a player developed and not lock into a longer term contract if he didn't look like he was a good draft choice. The top picks would take the high lottery contracts, until of course some Russian oil man offers a LeBron $50 million his first year.

leemajors
06-08-2008, 02:03 PM

There's a way to setup a fair scale for European players that already make more than the NBA rookie scale. I'm sorry you can't comprehend that.

i don't see how you don't understand the players association would never let that pass, as Shoog pointed out.

whottt
06-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Just increase the rookie pay scale, for all players...to make it more competitive with Europe.

What's funny is everyone acting like this can only happen to a European draft pick...the Euroleague teams can start outbidding NBA teams for American Rookies as well, as long as they aren't bound by a rookie payscale and the NBA teams are.

Raise the Rookie payscale and stay competitive...or stay cheap and get passed by the Euroleagues.

The NBA is the #1 league because it pays the most...if that is no longer the case, the NBA will no longer be the #1 league.

nfg3
06-08-2008, 02:13 PM
i don't see how you don't understand the players association would never let that pass, as Shoog pointed out.

Ditto. IMHO the players asc. will NEVER I repeat NEVER allow the NBA to set up two different pay scales - one for domestic and one for foreign players. It just won't happen. I can't conceive of a scenario that would allow that to happen. If it did then the players assc. would simply be a paper tiger without any clout.

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 02:18 PM

The NBA is not in the business of paying people for what they did in the European leagues. Any system that allows a person with zero years NBA experience to make more than a rookie LeBron is insane.

I think it's pretty clear the only one who doesn't comprehend things is you.

oligarchy
06-08-2008, 02:19 PM

Oh. Can you ask them a question then for me, since you two are so intimately familiar with them? Can they just drop all Euros from being included in the draft? Thanks.

oligarchy
06-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Just increase the rookie pay scale, for all players...to make it more competitive with Europe.

What's funny is everyone acting like this can only happen to a European draft pick...the Euroleague teams can start outbidding NBA teams for American Rookies as well, as long as they aren't bound by a rookie payscale and the NBA teams are.

Raise the Rookie payscale and stay competitive...or stay cheap and get passed by the Euroleagues.

The NBA is the #1 league because it pays the most...if that is no longer the case, the NBA will no longer be the #1 league.

That's a better solution, as it would inevitably go that way, ALA ABA.

oligarchy
06-08-2008, 02:25 PM
The NBA is not in the business of paying people for what they did in the European leagues. Any system that allows a person with zero years NBA experience to make more than a rookie LeBron is insane.

I think it's pretty clear the only one who doesn't comprehend things is you.

Yeah. All #1 draft picks are hits. :toast

whottt
06-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Why is everyone blaming RC for this?

He didn't fuck up...

And what was he supposed to say? Splitter fucked us...I can't believe this POS did this and fucked up our entire offseason plan?

What RC said has nothing to do with why Splitter isn't here...it's irrelevant...and any bitching about it is Spurfans looking for a reason to bitch about something the Spurs had no control over. And it's not going to make you feel any better either.

This is going to happen more and more often to all NBA teams barring a restructuring of the rookie payscale...the Spurs were just the first one it happened to.

And it's not RC's fault...and it's not the fault of his speech either.

Worst post ever by lamevp.

picnroll
06-08-2008, 02:44 PM

US players are not going to go over to Europe without a VERY significant difference in pay. Why should the NBA create a situation where they have to pay top dollar to "even" the playing field indiscrimately to attract both Euros and US players on an equal basis. Not very smart money-wise.

CaptainLate
06-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Exactly. These damn FO people are like politicians.

Now, you don't have to burn bridges. But tell the truth a/h:

[ "Naturally we are disappointed Tiago chose to remain over there. Hopefully he'll improve and someday join us here. In the meantime, this situation is reflective of the crash of the US$ and introduction of the Amero. Therefore, the damn NBA and Players Assn better renegotiate the "rookie" salary issue. If it doesn't accommodate the signing of overseas players, then two things are going to happen:
# 1. The league will continue losing opportunities to bring talented players from overseas; and
#2. If I was a rookie, or even a talented player coming out of highschooler, I'd be signing a 3-4 yr contract for much more than I can get in the NBA. Playing overseas will also give me a chance to see parts of the world that I may never have an opportunity to do.

whottt
06-08-2008, 03:23 PM
US players are not going to go over to Europe without a VERY significant difference in pay.

This just in...the difference can be as signifigant as the Euroleague teams want it to be.

Why should the NBA create a situation where they have to pay top dollar to "even" the playing field indiscrimately to attract both Euros and US players on an equal basis. Not very smart money-wise.

Um...becoming the second best league in the world isn't very smart success-wise.

The Truth #6
06-08-2008, 03:40 PM
A lot of things haven't gone RC's way but it's way too soon to throw him under the bus. What was he supposed to do in this case? They obviously had a promise from Tiago so they drafted him.

The dollar is dropping. Is that RC's fault? I don't think RC can pick up the phone and call the Fed to drop interest rates any lower.

Let's see how this Summer plays out. If we haven't improved our domestic scouting, and if Ian is only Elson V.2, and they don't make an effort to sign a wing who can score, then yeah I would say the evidence is piling up against him.

picnroll
06-08-2008, 04:04 PM
This just in...the difference can be as signifigant as the Euroleague teams want it to be.

This just in ... as it stands now, and for some time to come probably, it will require Euroleague teams to pay a premium, a substantial premium most likely to attract almost all US born players. From a monetary standpoint the owners should set the rules to take advantage of that premium. That is assuming they are interested in making money.

Um...becoming the second best league in the world isn't very smart success-wise.
If the US economy continues to sink relative to Europe and Asia and basketball continues to increase in popularity in those countries, then NBA becoming the second or third best league in the world will likely be inevitable. Those are the determing factors.

tmtcsc
06-08-2008, 04:11 PM

He didn't fuck up...

And what was he supposed to say? Splitter fucked us...I can't believe this POS did this and fucked up our entire offseason plan?

What RC said has nothing to do with why Splitter isn't here...it's irrelevant...and any bitching about it is Spurfans looking for a reason to bitch about something the Spurs had no control over. And it's not going to make you feel any better either.

This is going to happen more and more often to all NBA teams barring a restructuring of the rookie payscale...the Spurs were just the first one it happened to.

:toast Good post, I agree totally. Lot's of people ROFL'ing around here (albeit cynically) because they feel a bit burned by RC.

RC had nothing to do with the declining dollar or Tau being able to pay him more than what he would get here.

First the Scola fiasco and now this. Scola was obviously a bad decision but it didn't stop us from making it further than we ever had after a Championship.

Let's not make a huge deal out of this again. RC probably took the high road so that he could retain his options regarding Splitter's future. Why burn bridges ? Privately, I'm sure the FO was very disappointed but maybe it was worth the risk of drafting him.

Oh well, no use in crying over it anymore, just do something about it.

whottt
06-08-2008, 04:17 PM
This just in ... as it stands now, and for some time to come probably, it will require Euroleague teams to pay a premium, a substantial premium most likely to attract almost all US born players. From a monetary standpoint the owners should set the rules to take advantage of that premium. That is assuming they are interested in making money.

This just in...what Tau just did with Splitter could have easily been done with an American rookie...in case you didn't notice, it was about the money.

If the US economy continues to sink relative to Europe and Asia and basketball continues to increase in popularity in those countries, then NBA becoming the second or third best league in the world will likely be inevitable. Those are the determing factors.

Yeah...true, it was amazing how we've dominated Soccer as the World's #1 economy. Other guys didn't have a chance.

We kick ass in Water Polo and Bobsledding as well...because we're the world's #1 economy.

The solution to the problem you just posed is simple...you take the cap off and let the Lakers, Mavs, Celtics and Knicks etc, put some money on the table. Yeah it will suck for the concept of leveling the field of competition, but it will also leave the Euroleague teams holding their dicks and priced out of the game...

picnroll
06-08-2008, 04:26 PM
This just in...what Tau just did with Splitter could have easily been done with an American rookie...in case you didn't notice, it was about the money.
This just in ... Tau would have to make a considerably higher offer to get a brother to leave LA or NY and go to the capital of toilet bowls Spain, eat tapas and learn Spanish.

Yeah...true, it was amazing how we've dominated Soccer as the World's #1 economy. Other guys didn't have a chance.
Yeah since soccer has always been a major sport in the USA filling 100,000 seat stadiums and drawing billion dollar TV contracts.

The solution the problem you just posed is simple...you take the cap off and let the Lakers, Mavs, Celtics and Knicks etc, put some money on the table. Yeah it will suck for the concept of leveling the field of competition, but it will also leave the Euroleague teams holding their dicks and priced out of the game...
Someday that may be the needed solution to compete on the world stage. Not today though. That also is the day I stop watching NBA basketball.

Russ
06-08-2008, 04:41 PM

The short term solution would seem to be to only draft players that are available to sign now. Even if that means carrrying them on the roster before they can contribute, ala Mahinmi.

Too much can happen in even one year to rely upon anything in the future (just ask Hillary).

CaptainLate
06-08-2008, 04:45 PM
US players are not going to go over to Europe without a VERY significant difference in pay.

WHICH IS COMING!!!

Have you been watching the manipulated crash of the US$? Even compared to the Canucks up north?

Do a search on "Amero Watch". I'd take a 4-5 year contract that was worth 30% or better than US$.

whottt
06-08-2008, 04:57 PM
This just in ... Tau would have to make a considerably higher offer to get a brother to leave LA or NY and go to the capital of toilet bowls Spain, eat tapas and learn Spanish.

This just in....you have absolutely no proof of that.

This just in....they can spend the off season in LA or NY playing for Tau as easily as they can playing for SA.

This also just in, for those who haven't heard the latest, Tau just offered Splitter several times what the Spurs could offer him.

Any time you hear the words, "several times" you can be sure the difference is a substantial one.

And finally this is in as well, American players like money as much, if not more, as Brazillian players do.

I know this may be a revelation to you, that um, money is a factor...but it's a fact nontheless.

Yeah since soccer has always been a major sport in the USA filling 100,000 seat stadiums and drawing billion dollar TV contracts.

Actually Soccer drew well in the major markets when they first tried it in the 70's...it drew well when we hosted the World Cup.

The reason it's not popular here is because we haven't been as good at it as Europe...and it's not for a lack of effort.

When we stop sucking at it, it'll become more popular.

Sincerely,

The Tour de France.

Someday that may be the needed solution to compete on the world stage. Not today though. That also is the day I stop watching NBA basketball.

It wouldn't last long...the second the powerful Euroleague teams start upping the ante the rest of the Euroleague teams will be raising hell about the capitalist pigs destroying the even playing field...and then they'll have a salary cap.

Besides...spending money doesn't guarantee championships...it just guarantees spending money...and baseball has been that way forever.

whottt
06-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Oh and BTW, I'd like to drop a big :flipoff you on Tiago...I was looking forward to the Brazillian chicks joining the forum.

whottt
06-08-2008, 05:25 PM
:toast Good post, I agree totally. Lot's of people ROFL'ing around here (albeit cynically) because they feel a bit burned by RC.

RC had nothing to do with the declining dollar or Tau being able to pay him more than what he would get here.

First the Scola fiasco and now this. Scola was obviously a bad decision but it didn't stop us from making it further than we ever had after a Championship.

Let's not make a huge deal out of this again. RC probably took the high road so that he could retain his options regarding Splitter's future. Why burn bridges ? Privately, I'm sure the FO was very disappointed but maybe it was worth the risk of drafting him.

Oh well, no use in crying over it anymore, just do something about it.

Thank you :tu

Spur fans don't seem to understand that a basketball team, from a de-facto minor-league just out bid the Spurs for the services of their #1 draft pick.

It was smart on the part of Tau, and Spilitter would have been stupid to do otherwise...

This has nothing to do with Splitter not being an American, or RC screwing up...it has everything to do with the rookie scale allowing Euroleague teams to outbid NBA teams, for rookie players, ANY ROOKIE PLAYERS FROM ANY COUNTRY, for their basketball services.

The funny thing is you can't even call Splitter disloyal over it...because he was loyal to his original team on top of it.

Splitter and Tau both made a smart move...and the rookie payscale is now an impedement in competing with other leagues. Not just for the rights to International players...but to American Players as well.

I don't care if the Knicks had drafted Tiago with the 28th pick...the result would have been the same.

And I didn't hear one fucking monday morning QB now ripping and second guessing the FO, calling this before it happened...

IF one of you guys foresaw this...I'd like the link...experts.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 05:31 PM
The Spurs knew that Splitter's contract situation was a problem. Without it, he wouldn't have been available for the Spurs to draft in the first place. They took a shot with a low first round pick. It didn't work out, so far. Maybe Splitter will feel differently about the rookie contract in a couple years. If not, so what? Their primary problem lies in their perimeter rotation more than anything. Plus they have Mahinmi coming in, which is just as if they had a lottery pick in this year's draft. Mahinmi is the prototypical 21st century NBA bigman. Mahinmi is a much more desirable bigman prospect than Splitter. Splitter is just more polished at this point in time. At least now the Spurs will be forced to let Mahinmi crack the rotation earlier.

whottt
06-08-2008, 05:37 PM
At the very least...if they don't substantially up the rookie payscale...they at least need to incoporate some form of draft bird rights into the CBA to allow NBA teams to match or better competitive offers from non NBA Teams so they can sign their own draft picks.

Because a #1 pick is a terrible thing to waste.

Any of you guys think the NBA is going to award us an additional pick because their rule just caused us to waste a #1 pick?

Will there be just compensation?

E20
06-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Trade his rights right now. He is no use to the Spurs. Spurs are too cheap to buy out his contract or whatever and in 4 years he will be no use to us either. Trade him now. This is basically Scola part 2.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 05:38 PM
At the very least...if they don't substantially up the rookie payscale...they at least need to incoporate some form of draft bird rights into the CBA to allow NBA teams to match or better competitive offers from non NBA Teams so they can sign their own draft picks.

Any of you guys think the NBA is going to award us an additional pick because their rule just caused us to waste a #1 pick?

Only when the Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks have problems will Stern act.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 05:38 PM
The Spurs knew that Splitter's contract situation was a problem. Without it, he wouldn't have been available for the Spurs to draft in the first place. They took a shot with a low first round pick. It didn't work out, so far. Maybe Splitter will feel differently about the rookie contract in a couple years. If not, so what? Their primary problem lies in their perimeter rotation more than anything. Plus they have Mahinmi coming in, which is just as if they had a lottery pick in this year's draft. Mahinmi is the prototypical 21st century NBA bigman. Mahinmi is a much more desirable bigman prospect than Splitter. Splitter is just more polished at this point in time. At least now the Spurs will be forced to let Mahinmi crack the rotation earlier.

Amen. iYAAAAHN, come on down.

whottt
06-08-2008, 05:39 PM

And I'd say the Spurs had no clue this was going to happen...and if they had they'd have dumped Tiago long ago while his value was high based on the season he was having.

Spurs tend to try to get something for their draft picks...even if it's only cap relief.

They didn't see this coming...and I gurantee you the NBA is taking notice of it.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Trade his rights right now. He is no use to the Spurs. Spurs are too cheap to buy out his contract or whatever and in 4 years he will be no use to us either. Trade him now. This is basically Scola part 2.

Nah. His rights are at their lowest value right now. In a couple years, he'll have some money in his pocket and may be willing to take on that rookie contract. If he entered the league at age 24, then he'd at least have a shot at one long term big money contract ($50+ mil) in his NBA career. He should turn out to be a slightly above average starting NBA center. Ian will be much more.

whottt
06-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Only when the Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks have problems will Stern act.

This threatens the Knicks, Lakers, and Celtics...it has nothing to do with the Spurs being a small market team or having a tightfisted owner.

Tau just gave the entire NBA a blackeye...not just the Spurs, and this was a historic moment in Euroleague NBA power distribution...

It's another in a long series of strides the Euroleagues have been making against the NBA...and this was probably the biggest one yet.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 05:44 PM
And I'd say the Spurs had no clue this was going to happen...and if they had they'd have dumped Tiago long ago while his value was high based on the season he was having.

Spurs tend to try to get something for their draft picks...even if it's only cap relief.

They didn't see this coming...and I gurantee you the NBA is taking notice of it.

They were aware of the possibility. They thought they had a good shot, no doubt. But, again, in the grand scheme of things they took a shot on an international with a low pick. If, for whatever reason, they had a lottery pick and it turned out this way, then I'd be pissed.

Spurs fans want the front office to be aggressive and yet conservative. You can't have it both ways. If they aren't making "mistakes" in the casual fan's mind then they aren't being aggressive.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 05:47 PM
This threatens the Knicks, Lakers, and Celtics...it has nothing to do with the Spurs being a small market team or having a tightfisted owner.

Tau just gave the entire NBA a blackeye...not just the Spurs, and this was a historic moment in Euroleague NBA power distribution...

It's another in a long series of strides the Euroleagues have been making against the NBA...and this was probably the biggest one yet.

This is the only head to head stride they've made. What would make sense is for the league to allow international draft picks who were drafted two or more years ago eligible to receive a MLE contract.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 05:52 PM
One day in the not too distant future we will be looking back at this conversation and wondering why so many were worried about Splitter. It will be like revisiting the "Giricek > Ginobili" threads of old.

whottt
06-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm not that worried about Splitter...I said Ian had more upside 3 months ago and got nearly a boardwide pileon for saying it...

But if you think this is going to be isolated to Splitter, Tau and the Spurs, you are sadly mistaken...the Euroleagues has pretty obvious intentions of setting itself up as a rival of the NBA...not a minor league...and you really can't blame them for that.

To ignore the fact that they are inching closer and closer to that goal with each passing year, is the height of "American arrogance".

They are gaining...and you can stick your head in the sand and count on your "inherent" superiority to win the day...but ultimately you will wind up a fool for taking that approach.

I personally don't care other than as a Spurfan...I'm not too happy with hte NBa right now and I am sick of Stern...and a part of me enjoyed this.

I'm not worried about Splitter,...he's a nice player and he's definitely better than Scola, but he's not the reason we just lost in the playoffs...nor is he the most pressing concern this offseason...

All that said...wasting a #1 pick kinda sucks...and I'd prefer we don't do it again.

At the very least this deal benfitted all of the Euroleagues as it makes NBA teams a little more skittish about using a #1 pick to raid their talent...

Harry Callahan
06-08-2008, 06:29 PM
for some reason RC referring to Tau, the multi-million euro empire of euroleague, as a 'program' like it was some college is very amusing to me.

If you pay attention, the Spurs FO refers to their own team as a "program" as well.

Harry Callahan
06-08-2008, 06:37 PM

He didn't fuck up...

The only reason Splitter was drafted by the Spurs in the first place at the 28th pick is the contract situation in the first place.

I doubt if Splitter will ever show his face in San Antonio again like he did last year (at least for a couple of years). I guess in the end that appearance was all negotiating with someone else anyway. Pretty sorry no matter how you slice it. If Splitter had been honest with the Spurs, they could have drafted him in the second round a few picks later and passed on Marcus Williams (the Arizona Stiff). At least SA could have had a productive pick last year.

To be somewhat fair to Splitter, he probably never imagined he would get a big offer. If he doesn't come in two years, he probably never comes.

This time, the Spurs should be respectful publicly, but if he does not come in 2010, they should hold his rights for good so that if he plays in the NBA, it will be here or nowhere else.

Harry Callahan
06-08-2008, 07:01 PM

No compensation. The Spurs can't even get a decent plane or reasonable playoff schedule.

Some kind of contractural flexibility would be nice on a limited scale so SA could be more competitive in this situation, but the NBA PA and the league really don't care about doing the Spurs any favors at this point.

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 08:06 PM

Hmm, well, let's see . . .

Year --#1 pick --Players who would have gotten a bigger contract under your plan
2002 -- Yao Ming -- point is moot because China was determining Yao's salary anyway
2003 -- LeBron James -- Darko Milic, Mickael Pietrus, Zarko Cabarkapa, Aleksandar Pavlovic, Boris Diaw, Zoran Planinic, Carlos Delfino, Leandro Barbosa
(I should just stop right here, but . . . )

2004 -- Dwight Howard -- Andris Biedrins, Viktor Khryapa, Sergie Monia, Sasha Vujacic, Beno Udrih
2005 -- Andrew Bogut -- Yaroslav Korolev, Johan Petro, Ian Mahinmi2006 -- Andrea Bargnani (guess he would have been eligible for really big money)
2007 -- Greg Oden -- Marco Blinelli, Rudy Fernandez (oh, that would have helped team unity), Tiago Splitter, Petteri Koponen

I don't see a single international player who deserved to get more money than the #1 pick. And the guy who presumably would have gotten the biggest contract of any rookie in the past six years under your plan would have been . . . Andrea Bargnani.

So, no not all #1 draft picks are hits. Just the ones you would stiff with your plan. Excellent idea. :tu

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 08:08 PM
How about the MB Plan?

After 2 years, a team can use its own MLE exception to sign an international player whose draft rights it holds. That would at least somewhat control for quality. Plus it wouldn't necessarily create an unfair advantage vis a vis other teams as the team wouldn't be given a new cap exception.

picnroll
06-08-2008, 08:14 PM

How about the MB Plan?

After 2 years, a team can use its own MLE exception to sign an international player whose draft rights it holds. That would at least somewhat control for quality. Plus it wouldn't necessarily create an unfair advantage vis a vis other teams as the team wouldn't be given a new cap exception.

Sorry it will have to be called the P&R Plan

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I think that's on the right track. But like I said before, it may create a huge incentive to sign a 2-3 year European contract for mid-to-lower first round picks, or those who feel they're not going to be getting a lot of playing time early on.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Sorry it will have to be called the P&R Plan

I posted it somewhere yesterday.

picnroll
06-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I think that's on the right track. But like I said before, it may create a huge incentive to sign a 2-3 year European contract for mid-to-lower first round picks, or those who feel they're not going to be getting a lot of playing time early on.
How many of those mid/late picks really get much significant playing time on the good teams that picked them? How many of those good teams would be better off letting these mid/late picks get playing time overseas? How many of these mid/late picks would get disillusioned sitting in East Jesus, Spain getting no playing time all the while dodging coins and batteries at the end of the bench? How many NBA teams would see their lat round pick with "the incredible upside" showed no progress and saved themselves the cap money by not signing them? There are pluses as well.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 08:32 PM

I guess the catch for those players would be that the NBA team wouldn't have to give them a larger than rookie scale contract. Considering that the attractiveness of the rookie scale for NBA teams is that it allows them to lock in a talent at a low salary, then perhaps, on average, an international talent who hasn't proven himself abroad would not be rewarded.

Of course, it wouldn't be perfect, but would the # of bad contracts doled out differ that much than the norm in the NBA?

oligarchy
06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Hmm, well, let's see . . .

Year --#1 pick --Players who would have gotten a bigger contract under your plan
2002 -- Yao Ming -- point is moot because China was determining Yao's salary anyway
2003 -- LeBron James -- Darko Milic, Mickael Pietrus, Zarko Cabarkapa, Aleksandar Pavlovic, Boris Diaw, Zoran Planinic, Carlos Delfino, Leandro Barbosa
(I should just stop right here, but . . . )

2004 -- Dwight Howard -- Andris Biedrins, Viktor Khryapa, Sergie Monia, Sasha Vujacic, Beno Udrih
2005 -- Andrew Bogut -- Yaroslav Korolev, Johan Petro, Ian Mahinmi2006 -- Andrea Bargnani (guess he would have been eligible for really big money)
2007 -- Greg Oden -- Marco Blinelli, Rudy Fernandez (oh, that would have helped team unity), Tiago Splitter, Petteri Koponen

I don't see a single international player who deserved to get more money than the #1 pick. And the guy who presumably would have gotten the biggest contract of any rookie in the past six years under your plan would have been . . . Andrea Bargnani.

So, no not all #1 draft picks are hits. Just the ones you would stiff with your plan. Excellent idea. :tu

Your point being what? What point don't you get? THOSE PEOPLE MADE HOW MUCH THE YEAR PRIOR? Please, go to school. Jesus Christ. It makes as much sense on wasting draft picks on players who won't come over. There is no guarantee on a college player or foreign player.

It's completely stupid to compare the two as the same. Who cares if that's what America chooses to do for American players (non-professional). The point being -- don't consider Foreign players rookies, or whatever. Think of an idea instead of saying everything is idiotic. The only thing idiotic is people who bitch about an idea, but don't give one. So, a player who plays in Europe and has a contract making more than the rookie scale should be considered the same (or by your standards less than any college pick). Excellent.

itzsoweezee
06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
this offseason and last offseason combine as a screwup of epic proportions. fuck these know-nothing fuckers that are running the front office and fuck that cheap piece of shit owner.

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Your point being what? What point don't you get? THOSE PEOPLE MADE HOW MUCH THE YEAR PRIOR? Please, go to school. Jesus Christ. It makes as much sense on wasting draft picks on players who won't come over. There is no guarantee on a college player or foreign player.

It's completely stupid to compare the two as the same. Who cares if that's what America chooses to do for American players (non-professional). The point being -- don't consider Foreign players rookies, or whatever. Think of an idea instead of saying everything is idiotic. The only thing idiotic is people who bitch about an idea, but don't give one. So, a player who plays in Europe and has a contract making more than the rookie scale should be considered the same (or by your standards less than any college pick). Excellent.

The only one who doesn't get the point is you.

First, YOU made this moronic statement, did you not?

The NBA and NBA fans don't care how much those guy made overseas. The only thing they care about is how they are going to perform as an NBA player and how they should be paid commensurate with their NBA performance.

You said international players without NBA experience should be paid more than college players without NBA experience. And I showed there isn't a shred of evidence to justify that on the basis of performance.

Or, why don't you tell us which of those players I listed deserve to have a contract that pays them more than the #1 pick?

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah, Shoog. Go to school.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:53 PM
this offseason and last offseason combine as a screwup of epic proportions. fuck these know-nothing fuckers that are running the front office and fuck that cheap piece of shit owner.

This offseason? It's June 8th.

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 10:55 PM
How about the MB Plan?

Can't the Spurs do this anyways?

They could renounce his rights in 2010 and then use their MLE to sign him to a larger contract than originally specified.

I'm sure the league would have something to say about it, but is that possible?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2008, 10:56 PM
This offseason? It's June 8th.

:lol

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 10:59 PM

They really did screw the pooch, but at least there are still pieces in place. But cue anyway the Pollyanna Brigade and the Four Championships/No History Brigade.

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah, Shoog. Go to school.
http://schools.nationalrelocation.com/district/3302730/

oligarchy
06-09-2008, 09:27 AM
The only one who doesn't get the point is you.

First, YOU made this moronic statement, did you not?

The NBA and NBA fans don't care how much those guy made overseas. The only thing they care about is how they are going to perform as an NBA player and how they should be paid commensurate with their NBA performance.

You said international players without NBA experience should be paid more than college players without NBA experience. And I showed there isn't a shred of evidence to justify that on the basis of performance.

Or, why don't you tell us which of those players I listed deserve to have a contract that pays them more than the #1 pick?

We are just going to go back on forth on the same points. I say it does matter that college players make zero and international players have contracts. You say it doesn't, based on precedence of performance.

CaptainLate
06-09-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm not that worried about Splitter...I said Ian had more upside 3 months ago and got nearly a boardwide pileon for saying it...

But if you think this is going to be isolated to Splitter, Tau and the Spurs, you are sadly mistaken...the Euroleagues has pretty obvious intentions of setting itself up as a rival of the NBA...not a minor league...and you really can't blame them for that.

To ignore the fact that they are inching closer and closer to that goal with each passing year, is the height of "American arrogance".

They are gaining...and you can stick your head in the sand and count on your "inherent" superiority to win the day...but ultimately you will wind up a fool for taking that approach.

And it's b/c "American arrogance" is :sleep to the conspiracy to destroy the US$ and replace it with the Amero -- the currency of the North American Union. The Euroleagues, having already experienced it, are well aware of what has been done to Europe.

Start your education here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVsMUpPgdT0 and, as I said earlier, do a search on "Amero" and "North American Union". Check out http://www.amerocurrency.com/ and WAKE THE HELL UP!! :ihit You can be damn sure cia Pop knows what is going on, but I wonder whether he is for or :nope a One World Government?

www.RonPaul2008.com

CaptainLate
06-09-2008, 09:59 AM
No compensation....Some kind of contractural flexibility would be nice on a limited scale so SA could be more competitive in this situation, but the NBA PA and the league really don't care about doing the Spurs any favors at this point.

Unless the Spurs get new ownership willing to spend :greedy to stay competitive, then after the Duncan era they will be looking to sell the team who isn't interested in keeping the Spurs in SA...or will lie and "do a Seattle".

Mitch Cumsteen
06-09-2008, 11:14 AM
The problem lies not with NBA rookie salary cap, but with the location where Splitter was drafted. If he goes in the top ten, then the salary is competitive. If he goes in the second round, the salary can be competitive, depending what a team is willing to offer. The late first round draft and stash is currently a lousy strategy. You can do it in the second round, but not late in the first round. If you can get a guy to come over immediately, fine. But otherwise, treating the Euroleague like a glorified D-league clearly isn't going to fly with good prospects. It used to be that they built their value to go to the NBA, now they are building their value to the Euro teams.

Scola didn't come because the Spurs were too fucking cheap to pay him. In some ways, this is a similar deal -- they thought they could get frontline help on the cheap with a rookie contract for a guy who they knew was better than what they could pay him. It seemed like a brilliant business decision at the time -- get Mahinmi and Splitter for less than the cost of Scola. But they severely underestimated the market forces at work. In hindsight, you can't blame them but they got blindsided and made a bad business decision.

oligarchy
06-09-2008, 11:28 AM
The problem lies not with NBA rookie salary cap, but with the location where Splitter was drafted. If he goes in the top ten, then the salary is competitive. If he goes in the second round, the salary can be competitive, depending what a team is willing to offer. The late first round draft and stash is currently a lousy strategy. You can do it in the second round, but not late in the first round. If you can get a guy to come over immediately, fine. But otherwise, treating the Euroleague like a glorified D-league clearly isn't going to fly with good prospects. It used to be that they built their value to go to the NBA, now they are building their value to the Euro teams.

Scola didn't come because the Spurs were too fucking cheap to pay him. In some ways, this is a similar deal -- they thought they could get frontline help on the cheap with a rookie contract for a guy who they knew was better than what they could pay him. It seemed like a brilliant business decision at the time -- get Mahinmi and Splitter for less than the cost of Scola. But they severely underestimated the market forces at work. In hindsight, you can't blame them but they got blindsided and made a bad business decision.

Therein lies the problem. If they are considered a top prospect, you have take them in the 1st. You have good points, but I still think there's a problem when you have to draft in the 2nd round so you can pay the player correctly. Oh well, no need to dwell on something the NBA and NBA fans don't care about. Either draft them top 10 or in the second.

I think that's why Splitter fell to San Antonio. I believe most teams felt that he wasn't a top 10, and the teams after that probably felt he wouldn't come over on that scale. I wonder how far he would've fallen if San Antonio didn't choose him?

Bruno
06-10-2008, 05:38 AM
A couple of new things about Splitter :
-His salary won't e as high as reported. The report saying that he will earn 8 times more than in NBA is bullshit. His salary should be in the €1.2M - €1.4M range.
- Tau has announced that their budget will be lower next year than this year. It will go from €14M to €12.5M-€13M.

It makes me even more puzzled about Splitter decision not to follow "the biggest dream in his life" to stay in Europe for not that much more money and for a second tier team. If you add to that Buford weird declaration "we're excited", I'm fully lost and I really hope we will know one day what has really happened.

objective
06-10-2008, 05:55 AM
wow, sounds like he makes even less than Javtokas.

temujin
06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
1) 1.2 to 1.4 M before or after taxes?
That makes a big difference.

2) Getting year in year out in the final 4 of the Euroleague can hardly be described as a second tier. Tau would consistently beat half a dozen NBA teams in 7 games series.

picnroll
06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
2) Getting year in year out in the final 4 of the Euroleague can hardly be described as a second tier. Tau would consistently beat half a dozen NBA teams in 7 games series.
Not even close. Tau would be hard pressed to beat a single NBA team in a series. Christ, Planicic is one of their starters.

stxspurs
06-10-2008, 10:04 AM
no euros picked in the first round unless there is a contractual agreement if picked in the first round u will play for the team that year. if u back out a substantial fine will be imposed on the player. all euro projects/not sure/iffy/needs time to grow players in second round. problem solved.

stxspurs
06-10-2008, 10:06 AM
then there will be a "my bad" re-draft

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 10:12 AM
no euros picked in the first round unless there is a contractual agreement if picked in the first round u will play for the team that year. if u back out a substantial fine will be imposed on the player. all euro projects/not sure/iffy/needs time to grow players in second round. problem solved.

Not a bad idea. However David Stern has his nose so far up the ass of the international markets that I doubt he would want to impose any restrictions that would upset the development of international coalitions in these areas and with these clubs. Clubs that he hopes, one day, to somehow absorb into grand plan to form an NBA International League.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-10-2008, 10:27 AM
ROFL

That's probalby the only thing he can say at this point - it's not entirely their fault, TAU has been owning the Spurs for quite a while, they winning made things easier for splitter to stay and the problem with currency is a big one.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Not a bad idea. However David Stern has his nose so far up the ass of the international markets that I doubt he would want to impose any restrictions that would upset the development of international coalitions in these areas and with these clubs. Clubs that he hopes, one day, to somehow absorb into grand plan to form an NBA International League.

The League of Extraordinary European Men????

temujin
06-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Not even close. Tau would be hard pressed to beat a single NBA team in a series. Christ, Planicic is one of their starters.

And Splitter did not even start.

NYK, Twolves, Grizzlies, Seattle, Miami and Charlotte the first that come to mind.

Splitter would be starting with all those teams.

temujin
06-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Overall, I judge Buford's statement appropriate.
In two years time, Splitter will be a much better player and will decide.

The key thing is they keep the rights on him.

Re-sign Thomas, try Mahinmi and you will get another 52-56 wins season.

stxspurs
06-10-2008, 11:56 AM

i doubt that would happen/i hate stern as much as i do bud selig....anyway we lucked out with manu/parker....i think our time is up with the ero luck. we need us born athletes that can help now

stxspurs
06-10-2008, 12:02 PM

we could still hold their rights or maybe they are not allowed to get back in the draft for 2 or 4 years after backing out on the team that drafted them. making it a now or never type deal if they ever want to play in the nba.

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 12:13 PM
i doubt that would happen/i hate stern as much as i do bud selig....anyway we lucked out with manu/parker....i think our time is up with the ero luck. we need us born athletes that can help now

Couldn't agree more. :toast