PDA

View Full Version : Boy Dies From Secondary Drowning

Slydragon
06-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Not all drowning deaths happen immediately, health officials say.
JonJon.jpg

A 10-year-old boy died last weekend several hours after swallowing water in a swimming pool, reports FOX News. Police say he later complained he was tired and took a nap. When someone checked on him, water was coming out of his nose and he was having trouble breathing. The boy later died at the hospital.

The boy, known as "Jon Jon," was autistic and suffered from attention deficit and a social phobia, his mother said. But that had nothing to do with his death. Doctors say the cause of death was "dry" or "secondary drowning." Water, when inhaled, can damage the inside surface of the lung, collapse the alveoli and cause edema in the lungs with a reduced ability to exchange air. This may cause death up to 72 hours after a near-drowning incident. Momlogic talked to pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson to find out exactly what this is, and how moms can protect their kids.

"Remember, drownings are uncommon [3,582 per year] and secondary drownings only account for a tiny fraction of all drownings, so this is rare," Dr. Natterson explains. "Pool safety is supposed to be about being in the water, so the idea of secondary drowning is terrifying because it is even more beyond a parent's control. In order for a child to have a secondary drowning episode, he must get water into his lungs. This means that he will cough or choke a little or do something to indicate that the fluid has gone down the wrong way. If you are watching your child closely and none of these things has happened, you can feel fairly reassured that there is no risk of secondary drowning. On the other hand, if you do see some of these behaviors, and certainly if your child complains of difficulty breathing after swimming, it is much better to be safe than sorry."

The general warning signs for secondary drownings include:
• coughing
• trouble breathing
• pain in the lungs or chest especially when taking a deep breath
• a feeling of swallowing or inhaling water

If your child is experiencing warning signs, "take that child to see a doctor right away," advises Dr. Natterson.

http://www.momlogic.com/2008/06/death_by_secondary_drowning.php

lefty
06-08-2008, 03:20 AM
:depressed

mrsmaalox
06-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Back in my ICU nursing days, a near-drowning case was always one of the most serious and dreaded cases to work with.

manufor3
06-08-2008, 11:09 AM
That's very sad

desflood
06-09-2008, 09:26 AM
I read this story two days after my daughter swallowed a bunch of pool water at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Freaked me the hell out.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Every kid who has ever swam in a pool has inhaled water at some point. I'm not sure how this can even really be monitored very well. Scary.

mrsmaalox
06-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Every kid who has ever swam in a pool has inhaled water at some point. I'm not sure how this can even really be monitored very well. Scary.

True, but it has to be a huge amt of water; and by medical terms a "near drowning" is someone who has actually drowned, but was able to be brought back from it with advanced lifesupport. This poor child didn't just inhale the amt of water we see our kids do.

The sone
06-09-2008, 12:06 PM
debbie downer.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-09-2008, 12:18 PM
True, but it has to be a huge amt of water; and by medical terms a "near drowning" is someone who has actually drowned, but was able to be brought back from it with advanced lifesupport. This poor child didn't just inhale the amt of water we see our kids do.

Well that makes me feel a little better. This part of the article made me think the warning signs were much more subtle than that: "cough or choke a little or do something to indicate that the fluid has gone down the wrong way."