PDA

View Full Version : What would be a more formidable tandem

Biggems
06-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Dwight Howard and Duncan or Amare and Duncan?

Defensively, Howard and Duncan would be like a wall around the basket. We would have two guys who would completely clean the glass of rebounds. We would have two of the best shot blockers in the league. Our interior defense, as Mike Tyson says, would be "Impregnable" Offensively, all Howard can do is dunk or play within 5 ft of the basket. He has almost no range. Duncan would definitely have to be the outside offensive force between the two.

With Amare and Duncan, we would still be strong defensively, just not as strong as with Howard and Duncan. Now, if Pop is the coach, Amare will play defense and he will play it consistently. Offensively we would be a juggernaut. Amare and Timmy would combine for 50-60 pts a night. Their high/low game would be downright sick. Both players can play inside or outside. Amare, in fact, has 3 pt range.

If I had to choose between the two tandems, I would pick Duncan and Amare. While I am a big fan of defense, I think Duncan and Howard just would not be able to measure up on both sides of the court to the combined effort that Duncan and Amare would be able to put in. IMO, Amare can be every bit the defender that Howard is, but he hasn't been coached up to it yet. If he was coached by Pop, he would be a tremendous defensive player.

bdictjames
06-08-2008, 10:32 AM
I'd take Howard over Amare any day. Who knows how many rotations Amare will fuck up.

JamStone
06-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Duncan could help make Amare a better defender. I don't think Duncan can make Dwight a better offensive player.

In today's NBA, mobility and quickness is starting to be more of a requirement for the power forward position. With Amare, you have that at the 4. With Dwight Howard, Duncan still plays the 4 against the likes of the new breed of power forwards like Lamar Odom and Boris Diaw and Rashard Lewis, having to chase them out on the perimeter.

Duncan and Amare would be more formidable.