PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Cotto Vs Antonio Margarito- call it now



atxrocker
06-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Happens on 7/26. This fight has all the makings of an epic battle. I think Cotto is going to be the victor in what should be a damn good fight. Who does everyone else got on this fight?

TheTruth
06-08-2008, 04:22 PM
WOW! That is going to be a blood bath, but I really don't see anyone that can beat Cotto right now. MAYBE Mayweather, but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

This is gonna be EPIC!

Sense
06-08-2008, 07:54 PM
this match is overrated..
Cotto wins easily.

SAtoDallas
06-11-2008, 11:46 PM
This is going to be an awsome fight, I thing Margarito is a badass but I feel Cotto is on top of his game. So I'm going with Cotto via UD in 12.

cornbread
06-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Cotto's got the mojo.

2centsworth
06-12-2008, 02:40 AM
Margarito is a piece of steel and hits like a mule if you stay in front of him. My heart tells me Cotto, but my mind tells me Antonio.

DBryant88
06-12-2008, 11:14 AM
cotto hands down

degenerate_gambler
06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
One of those must see fights. Cotto is the more talented of the two. He's a decent boxer and very good body puncher. Margarito will throw punches from any angle, anywhere and has a chin of steel as was mentioned in another post.

I think the fight comes down to whether Margarito can survive Cotto's body assault. This and Cotto's underrated jab will tell the tale. If Miguel can't keep Margarito off of him, this has the chance to be a legendary fight. Cotto has a sweet uppercut that might be able to slow Margarito down.

You can't count Antonio out. He's a very good puncher, banger and if he can unload a bomb or two to Cotto's chin, it will be interesting to see what that chin is made of.

I like Cotto to win but Margarito will be dangerous till the very end.

SAtoDallas
07-20-2008, 08:57 PM
OK, fights on this weekend here's a real fight for fight fans. The HBO countdown will be shown throughout the week.

dallaskd
07-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Not a big follower of boxing, but im going with cotto

spursnatic
07-20-2008, 10:23 PM
El Boricua va a ganar!! Cotto is gonna win, shows it in his record. :ihit

Whisky Dog
07-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Margarito will crowd Cotto like he did Cintron and force Cotto into a brawl. Instinct tells me Margarito is stronger with a much better chin and wears Cotto down taking the win late.

Mayweather and Mosely didnt duck Margarito for no reason. They were scared because of the strength, chin, and incredibly aggressive style.

djohn14
07-26-2008, 05:52 PM
I got to say Cotto....I dont know if its because I want him to win...but I have to take him.

SAtown
07-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Holy shit what a fight

djohn14
07-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Margarito blocks way too many punches with his skull.

SAtown
07-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Margarito!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

midgetonadonkey
07-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Great fight. Almost all you bastards were wrong.

Whisky Dog
07-26-2008, 11:25 PM
That was a vicious fight that I was expecting, and the reason I went to Sports City Cafe here in Mesquite at 7:15pm just to get a good booth for this fight. That place was packed with a seriously large line at the door just to get in by fight time, and the place went nuts when Margarito took it late. Damn good time, damn good fight.

midgetonadonkey
07-26-2008, 11:26 PM
I watched a free stream of it online.

Whisky Dog
07-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Margarito will crowd Cotto like he did Cintron and force Cotto into a brawl. Instinct tells me Margarito is stronger with a much better chin and wears Cotto down taking the win late.

Mayweather and Mosely didnt duck Margarito for no reason. They were scared because of the strength, chin, and incredibly aggressive style.

Mayweather and Mosely aren't fools.

The man has sledge hammer hands.

2centsworth
07-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Great fight. Almost all you bastards were wrong.

except me of course.

TheTruth
07-27-2008, 01:59 AM
Margarito will crowd Cotto like he did Cintron and force Cotto into a brawl. Instinct tells me Margarito is stronger with a much better chin and wears Cotto down taking the win late.

Mayweather and Mosely didnt duck Margarito for no reason. They were scared because of the strength, chin, and incredibly aggressive style.

You are the man. GREAT CALL!

Fantastic fight. Margarito's chin is made of stone.

Sense
07-27-2008, 03:00 AM
damnit i didnt watch it... now I wanna see a replay

SAtoDallas
07-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Awesome fight! Margarito is the TJ tornado. Shit my DVR didn't record I wanted to the watch that ass kicking sober.

SAtoDallas
07-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Mayweather and Mosely aren't fools.

The man has sledge hammer hands.

You're right that's why Mayweather turned 8 mil guaranteed down, he knew he'd lose that perfect record if he fought Margarito.

Mosley turned a fight down as well and after this he's definately not gonna go for it.

atxrocker
07-27-2008, 01:30 PM
this fucking fight was everything that i had hoped it would be. margarito has an amazing chin, cotto landed lots of solid combos throughout the fight. a lesser fighter wouldn't have had the heart to take it and win, but margarito is a fucking beast. i'm glad i was wrong.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/atxrocker/T1_0726_margarito_miller.jpg

This dude is the fucking man!

MoSpur
07-28-2008, 12:23 PM
No wonder Mayweather wanted nothing from Margarito. I am a huge boxing fan. I was afraid all of my Mexican boxers were slowly going away like Barrera, Morales, Marquez, and the like, but Margarito pulled one out for all of us Mexicans. Too bad not that many want to fight him because we would be treated to a lot more fights with him on the card. Hopefully him being champion brings on more fights. I like watching this dude.

Major props to Whiskey Dog and 2Cents Worth and whoever called this one.

I'll admit I was on the fence on this one because Cotto is no joke. Cotto is outstanding, but Margarito did what he did best and that was throw punch after punch. I was pulling for Margarito and he didn't let me down. HECK YEAH. Viva Mexico!

mexicanjunior
07-28-2008, 12:27 PM
That was probably the best fight I have seen this year, awesome stuff and worth the $60 for the HD version of the PPV...

2centsworth
07-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Margarito will always have a tough time against an elusive defensive minded fighter, because margarito takes too long to get his shots off. He needs a guy who is willing to stay in front and slug it out. Cotto is taylor made for Antonio. No one can beat Antonio at his game. Like I said before, Antonio has a chin of steel and has cement in his gloves.

I. Hustle
07-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Haha GO Margarito. Oh well I guess I have to watch the replay

MoSpur
07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I'll admit that if Margarito were to face Mayweather, Mayweather would not be dumb enough to stay in front and slug it out with Margarito, which is I will refuse to watch a Mayweather fight besides the Oscar fight. Mayweather bores me and his style is what hurts the sport of boxing in my opinion.

2centsworth
07-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I'll admit that if Margarito were to face Mayweather, Mayweather would not be dumb enough to stay in front and slug it out with Margarito, which is I will refuse to watch a Mayweather fight besides the Oscar fight. Mayweather bores me and his style is what hurts the sport of boxing in my opinion.

Mayweather's style is boring, but Ali and Sugar Ray had similar styles are were still exciting. Though I enjoy the slugfest, I can also watch good defensive fighters like the old Roy Jones and Sweet Pea Whitaker.

LEONARD
07-28-2008, 06:16 PM
http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/07/28/video-miguel-cotto-vs-antonio-margarito/

Sense
07-28-2008, 06:25 PM
http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/07/28/video-miguel-cotto-vs-antonio-margarito/

THANKS ALOT!

LEONARD
07-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Damn...he just gave up...the brain damage was just too much for him to handle I guess...

2centsworth
07-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Damn...he just gave up...the brain damage was just too much for him to handle I guess...

he tapped out, which is unusual, but smart on his part.

Sense
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
No wonder Mayweather wanted nothing from Margarito. I am a huge boxing fan. I was afraid all of my Mexican boxers were slowly going away like Barrera, Morales, Marquez, and the like, but Margarito pulled one out for all of us Mexicans. Too bad not that many want to fight him because we would be treated to a lot more fights with him on the card. Hopefully him being champion brings on more fights. I like watching this dude.

Major props to Whiskey Dog and 2Cents Worth and whoever called this one.

I'll admit I was on the fence on this one because Cotto is no joke. Cotto is outstanding, but Margarito did what he did best and that was throw punch after punch. I was pulling for Margarito and he didn't let me down. HECK YEAH. Viva Mexico!

+1..

I just watched the fight, and yeah.. I agree instant classic..

I just think that some Puerto Ricans are taking this loss too seriously as far as to calling Margarito a cheater...

apparently some of them think Margarito has been taking drugs all his career, so he doesn't get knocked out.
amusing...

I overrated this fight, but I was wrong... I know Cotto's the better boxer, but when you have someone who punches stronger than you, and doesn't feel your punches.... and he keeps coming at you..

there's no way you can win..

hater
07-28-2008, 08:47 PM
holy shit! what a fight. tnx 4 d link.

it was more like a massacre than a classic. Margarito is one scary motherfucker. He's got a chin of stone. No wonder little floyd is pussying out

LEONARD
07-29-2008, 09:40 AM
He took a knee? I kept reading about this knockout but then saw him take a knee?

2centsworth
07-29-2008, 09:46 AM
He took a knee? I kept reading about this knockout but then saw him take a knee?

KO & TKO are the same to me, but yeah he didn't go to sleep. I was happy to see them waive the towel. Live to fight another day. MMA tapouts are a great example to boxing (that's a compliment).

Evan
07-29-2008, 09:48 AM
KO & TKO are the same to me, but yeah he didn't go to sleep. I was happy to see them waive the towel. Live to fight another day. MMA tapouts are a great example to boxing (that's a compliment).

Also mma doesn't have the emphasis on records and that’s helps as well.

2centsworth
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Also mma doesn't have the emphasis on records and that’s helps as well.
boxing is slowly but surely moving in that direction. smart guys like Cotto, and the guy is sharp in interviews, understand it's just a sport and business. The other thing I liked about the fight is that even though they tried to make it Puerto Rico vs Mexico most fans saw it as two great fighters.

Evan
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
boxing is slowly but surely moving in that direction.

Thats good. I have said time and time again MMA will help boxing. Refresh it a bit, force good change.

dbreiden83080
08-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I just saw this fight on HBO replay tonight and WOW, what a war. I don't want to say that Cotto can't ever beat him because he won a number of RDs decisively. The fight was about even through 10 rds. Margarito's pressure is so fucking intense. He is not as skilled as Cotto, might not hit as hard but has an in-human gas tank and a chin that is so GOOD, i am not sure if you hit the man over the head with a DAMN crowbar he'd go down. He just wore Cotto out, by walking through his best shot, time and again, while making Cotto pay a heavy price for it almost every time. He killed Cotto to the body in this fight. Cotto can win a rematch but one thing he has to do that he didn't in this fight, is hold on to Margarito, when he is trapped in those corners. When Cotto moved his feet, and used his jab, he controlled the action in the center of the ring. Every time he got run down by Margarito into the corner, he got into trouble. He landed shots but paid big time with hard counters, from Margarito. When he needs a break, he has got to hold on to him, let the ref break them apart and go right back to boxing his man. Hell of a war, hopefully they do it again.

2centsworth
08-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I just saw this fight on HBO replay tonight and WOW, what a war. I don't want to say that Cotto can't ever beat him because he won a number of RDs decisively. The fight was about even through 10 rds. Margarito's pressure is so fucking intense. He is not as skilled as Cotto, might not hit as hard but has an in-human gas tank and a chin that is so GOOD, i am not sure if you hit the man over the head with a DAMN crowbar he'd go down. He just wore Cotto out, by walking through his best shot, time and again, while making Cotto pay a heavy price for it almost every time. He killed Cotto to the body in this fight. Cotto can win a rematch but one thing he has to do that he didn't in this fight, is hold on to Margarito, when he is trapped in those corners. When Cotto moved his feet, and used his jab, he controlled the action in the center of the ring. Every time he got run down by Margarito into the corner, he got into trouble. He landed shots but paid big time with hard counters, from Margarito. When he needs a break, he has got to hold on to him, let the ref break them apart and go right back to boxing his man. Hell of a war, hopefully they do it again.

good summation. I would like to see Delahoya and Cotto mix it up first. Cotto needs to recoup and knocking out Delahoya would do wonders for regaining his confidence.

mexicanjunior
08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
After watching Margerito's post fight interview, it sounded like Delahoya had made some kind of promise to fight him if he beat Cotto and was basically calling Oscar out to keep it. I can't see Oscar fighting him though, he would get destroyed. It would be better and more lucrative for him to follow through with trying to fight the smaller Manny Pacqoiu...

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
damn what a fight. good job boxing.

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 11:58 AM
why did Cotto keep going down to a knee? Your saying that's his way of tapping out?

I. Hustle
08-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Cotto acted like a bitch. I would rather get knocked out then cower in the corner

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 12:11 PM
That's why I've always liked mma better. you go down like that and your eating a knee to your face.

2centsworth
08-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Cotto going down the way he did was smart. He'll be back to fight another day. Anyone who calls him out is probably not a professional fighter.

I. Hustle
08-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Cotto going down the way he did was smart. He'll be back to fight another day. Anyone who calls him out is probably not a professional fighter.

BS Any fighter will say that Cotto showed a lack of heart. I may have never been a pro boxer but I have grown up around the sport and have sparred more than enough times to know what it feels like to get hit from a pro boxer. Maybe not on the level of AM but I am not on the level of Cotto either.

2centsworth
08-05-2008, 02:08 PM
BS Any fighter will say that Cotto showed a lack of heart. I may have never been a pro boxer but I have grown up around the sport and have sparred more than enough times to know what it feels like to get hit from a pro boxer. Maybe not on the level of AM but I am not on the level of Cotto either.

link ?

Cotto was smart and will live to fight for another multi-million dollar paycheck. The KO was inevitable, sticking around to go to sleep is plain dumb and suicidal. Cotto showed heart in taking the fight when he had very little to gain. If you think Cotto ending up in the hospital would have showed more heart, and then you and I will never agree.

I. Hustle
08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
link ?

Cotto was smart and will live to fight for another multi-million dollar paycheck. The KO was inevitable, sticking around to go to sleep is plain dumb and suicidal. Cotto showed heart in taking the fight when he had very little to gain. If you think Cotto ending up in the hospital would have showed more heart, and then you and I will never agree.

Why even answer the bell then? The guy was obviously already defeated. All he did in that final round was run and cower. He didn’t attempt to fight and knew that, as you said, a knockout was inevitable. His corner should have called it earlier or he should have done it earlier. Ok so to try and see where you are coming from sitting in the corner and throwing the towel is a lot better than getting up to just run around and keep taking a knee. Agree?

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Why even answer the bell then? The guy was obviously already defeated. All he did in that final round was run and cower. He didn’t attempt to fight and knew that, as you said, a knockout was inevitable. His corner should have called it earlier or he should have done it earlier. Ok so to try and see where you are coming from sitting in the corner and throwing the towel is a lot better than getting up to just run around and keep taking a knee. Agree?

Because the judges had the bout tied up going into the 11th.

I. Hustle
08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Because the judges had the bout tied up going into the 11th.

And? He did as much to win the round when he was in the ring as he would have sitting down. Throwing in the towel would have given it to AM.

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 04:14 PM
And? He did as much to win the round when he was in the ring as he would have sitting down. Throwing in the towel would have given it to AM.

Throwing in the towel would be quitting. The fact that he still went out there because he knew he had a shot at it, despite probably knowing he was going to get KO'd makes him a warrior. and a smart one.

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 04:15 PM
And you of all people have no right to call Miguel Cotto a pussy.

I. Hustle
08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Throwing in the towel would be quitting. The fact that he still went out there because he knew he had a shot at it, despite probably knowing he was going to get KO'd makes him a warrior. and a smart one.

What makes him a warrior again? Going out there knowing that there is a chance he WOULD get knocked out? It's like you are arguing for me now. He went out there knowing that AM was not hurt and still ready to go while he was half dead. I would rather be called a punk for sitting in the corner and giving up than running away and cowering in the corner.

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
What makes him a warrior again? Going out there knowing that there is a chance he WOULD get knocked out? It's like you are arguing for me now. He went out there knowing that AM was not hurt and still ready to go while he was half dead. I would rather be called a punk for sitting in the corner and giving up than running away and cowering in the corner.

ok tough guy

Whisky Dog
08-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Cotto battled his ass off in that fight. He just took too many good shots that took it out of him. Anybody that had sparred against anyone of quality would know what it's like to have your mind willing but your body beaten. Cotto's a tough dude.

SAtoDallas
08-06-2008, 09:20 PM
I've watched that fight three times, and boy both men gave as good as they got. With the work rate Margarito has it's amazing Cotto lasted as long as he did. Good for him and his corner for throwing in the towel and living to fight another day.