PDA

View Full Version : Well, I Feel Like Crap Now

06-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Had to get my immunizations updated yesterday (Side note: WTF is up with waiting three fucking hours for three shots? Texas Med Clinic can kiss my ass right in the crack.) and the Yellow Fever one is setting in right about now. Feels like a low grade flu. That and it stings like a bitch when they shoot you up with it.

Intramuscular Typhoid sucks balls too.

CubanMustGo
06-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Try catching any of the diseases. You won't complain about the pain of the shots anymore. :lol

RashoFan
06-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Why the hell did you need those shots for?? You getting deployed somewhere icky????

06-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Deployed? Not so much.

Sent icky places to look at work? Possibly.

The Typhoid was expired and the YF only had another year on it, so I needed an update.

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 07:06 PM
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/imageDB.cgi?isbn=9780425212028

Highly recommended book. We don't appreciate it now, but in the 1700s-early 1900s, city life this country essentially revolved around the yellow fever cycles.

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=1-9780425212028-2

Review:

"In a summer of panic and death in 1878, more than half the population of Memphis, Tenn., fled the raging yellow fever epidemic, which finally waned when cooler weather set in. The disease had been transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which came in swarms on ships from the Caribbean or West Africa. This account has a narrower scope than James Dickerson's recent Yellow Fever, focusing on the Memphis tragedy, but journalist Crosby offers a forceful narrative of a disease's ravages and the quest to find its cause and cure. Crosby is particularly good at evoking the horrific conditions in Memphis, 'a city of corpses' and rife with illness characterized by high fever, black vomit and hemorrhaging, treated by primitive methods. Crosby also relates arresting tales of heroism, such as how two nuns returned to the quarantined city from a vacation to nurse the victims. The author profiles scientists, some of whom died in their fight to identify the cause of this deadly disease. She also describes more recent outbreaks in Africa: yellow fever is making a frightening comeback despite the existence of a vaccine. Photos. Barnes & Noble Discover New Writers selection. (Nov. 7)" Publishers Weekly (Copyright Reed Business Information, Inc.)

06-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Cool looking book Shoog, I'll get it after I finish my new one. I've read "Hot Zone" and "Demon In The Fridge" and like both.