PDA

View Full Version : Juan Carlos Navarro

jag
06-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Not sure why this guy isn't mentioned more around here. He'd be a good option to fill in and either back up Tony, or split mintes with Manu. Living here in TN, i've had a few chances to watch the Grizzles play, and i absolutely love watching this guy. Great passing, great basketball IQ, and he can shoot the ball from anywhere on the court. He's about going to be 28 here in a few days, but he's a good playmaker and i think he'd fit in great in the Spurs system.

He wouldn't be a good option as a starting 2, but he could definitely come off the bench and back up either the 1 or the 2.

In the 2007-08 season he made $538,090. Looked around but I couldn't find any info about the terms of his contract, though.

angelbelow
06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
i think he was briefly mentioned before, but everyone was concerned with his defense, however he is very potent offensively and i think we should take a look. his D is probably as bad finleys but his offense at this point is better, so he would be an upgrade in my book.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Why would Memphis give him up?

jag
06-08-2008, 06:41 PM
i think he was briefly mentioned before, but everyone was concerned with his defense, however he is very potent offensively and i think we should take a look. his D is probably as bad finleys but his offense at this point is better, so he would be an upgrade in my book.

He'd definitely provide a spark off the bench, and as far as his defense is concerned....he's not gonna shut anyone down, but i'd never compare him to Finley. He's a pesky defender, somewhat similar to Vujacic, and he always hustles and works to get a hand up to contest shots. Knock Jacque V. all you want, but the guy plays good D and hustles....JCN could play similar D in the Spurs system where it's constantly pushed for and required, for minutes.

hsxvvd
06-08-2008, 06:42 PM

+1

jag
06-08-2008, 06:43 PM

They might need a big man, and i would part with Oberto for JCN.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 06:45 PM
They might need a big man, and i would part with Scola for JCN.

We already parted with Scola for tax reasons. A year ago. Ringing any bells?

jag
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
We already parted with Scola for tax reasons. A year ago. Ringing any bells?

LMAO at me saying "scola" i meant oberto

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 06:59 PM

http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/images/2006/1775/44bf7e1fbaf37_md.jpg

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Oh, wait. My bad. :bang

ShoogarBear
06-08-2008, 07:00 PM
LMAO at me saying "scola" i meant oberto

Yeah, but the first idea would have been pure genius if they could have pulled it off.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Oh, wait. My bad. :bang

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/presti_200.jpg

Wait, wrong franchise....

jag
06-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, but the first idea would have been pure genius if they could have pulled it off.

JCN was the 05-06 Spanish league MVP...so it would have been an excellent move when we knew we weren't gonna sign Scola.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Maybe if the Spurs took back the rotting corpse of Brian Cardinal's NBA career...

angelbelow
06-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Maybe if the Spurs took back the rotting corpse of Brian Cardinal's NBA career...

true.. whats cardinals contract look like?

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Not worth it. Something like $9 mil per. Of course, Splitter passed on joining a league in which someone like Brian Cardinal received forty million dollars guaranteed. But I digress.

T Park
06-08-2008, 07:46 PM
More realistic bup please.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Not worth it. Something like $9 mil per. Of course, Splitter passed on joining a league in which someone like Brian Cardinal received forty million dollars guaranteed. But I digress.

No shit. Cardinal, Malik, and that's just the forwards. Centers are a whole other ballgame: Big Country, Gadzuric, Rasho, Dampier, Foyle, Shaq (current contract), Eddie Curry.

Reminds me of a scene from Finding Forrster:

Jamal: "Women will sleep with you if you write a book?"
Forrester: "Women will sleep with you if you write a BAD book!"

Apparently, GMs will sleep with your agent if you are a BAD NBA big man.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Jerry West was the genius that gave Brian Cardinal that hideous contract in the first place.

Man of Steel
06-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Sign him

tav1
06-09-2008, 12:06 AM

Memphis is not running a sane ship--the owner is in fire sale mode and I'm not sure any team's willingness to take back one of their bad contracts wouldn't include one of their younger players as incentive.

You mention Cardinal, but I think if a team were willing to deal for Milicic then Memphis would include either Navarro, Lowry or Crittenton.

In the same way, the Spurs might get David Lee back from the Knicks if they took on Eddy Curry's deal.

Bob Lanier
06-09-2008, 12:23 AM
If Marcus Bryant tells you that Buford missed Memphis, then that's that. Buford may have missed one deal with Memphis this year but if somebody says he missed one deal with Memphis of all the bad deals Memphis has made this year, then that's enough to get a whole lot started. Buford should've told Marcus Bryant that you don't have to give the people of San Antonio a reason to think about firing him or anything like that. If you fire somebody, you fire them to make the team better...simple as that. Buford's cool with that. Buford's all about that. The people in San Antonio deserve to have a winner. It's simple as that. It goes further than that ... If Buford can't deal with Memphis, he can't deal with Memphis. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about Memphis. We're sitting here, and he's supposed to be the general manager, and we're talking about Memphis. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about Memphis, not a good team, not a good team, not a good team, but we're talking about Memphis. Not the teams that he goes out there and spars with and plays every negotiation like it's his last but we're talking about Memphis man. How silly is that? ... Now Buford know that he's supposed to lead by example and all that but he's not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. He knows it's important, he honestly does but we're talking about Memphis. We're talking about Memphis man. We're talking about Memphis. We're talking about Memphis. We're not talking about someone with assets. We're talking about Memphis. When you come to the office, and you see him deal, you've seen me deal right, you've seen me take everything he can, but we're talking about Memphis right now. ... Hey I hear you, it's funny to him too, hey it's strange to him too but we're talking about Memphis man, we're not even talking about the negotiations, when it actually matters, we're talking about Memphis ... How the hell can R.C. Buford make his team better by trying to outcompete collusions?

kolko
06-18-2008, 07:27 PM
He is back to Europe. He has signed with his former club, Barcelona.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2008, 07:34 PM

:lol

mikeanthony21
06-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Why did Memphis give up Pau Gasol?

Pistons < Spurs
06-18-2008, 11:52 PM

WOW! I'm glad I traded him for Rodney Stuckey in the Dynasty league!

Udokafan05
06-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Memphis would give up conley before navarro

ace3g
06-19-2008, 02:51 AM
apparently he is going to sign a 5 year contract with FC Barcelona.

http://www.solobasket.com/contenidos/navarro/vuelve/bara/c-18235.html

http://www.terra.es/deportes/articulo/html/dpo506321.htm

http://www.cope.es/18-06-08--juan_carlos_navarro_regresa_al_fc_barcelona,4832,n oticia_ampliada

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/gen/20080618/noticia_53482560029.html

timvp
06-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Navarro was pretty horrible. Three-point chucker who played no defense and wasn't much of a passer despite being about 6-foot-1. He looked out of shape and not too interested in bettering himself as a player.

Saying that, the Wizards got a future first round pick from the freakin' Grizzlies for Navarro -- a mediocre Euro prospect who was signed to a small, one-year contract. And the Spurs got nothing for the most sought after Europe prospect in the same summer.

Seriously, WTF :pctoss

ShoogarBear
06-19-2008, 03:00 AM
On the other hand, Peter Holt saved 15% by switching to GEICO . . .

remingtonbo2001
06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
On the other hand, Peter Holt saved 15% by switching to GEICO . . .

Will that count against the cap?

Mitch Cumsteen
06-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Memphis got Splittered on this deal. Barcelona offered him $20 million.

Spurs Brazil
06-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Grizzlies Will Still Extend Qualifying Offer To Navarro

Jun 19, 2008 3:45 PM EST
Memphis Grizzlies General Manager and Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Wallace released the following statement today on Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro, who rejoined F.C. Barcelona after completing his rookie NBA season with the Grizzlies in 2007-08. “Juan Carlos Navarro has decided to rejoin his former team, F.C. Barcelona,” said Wallace. “As of late Tuesday, Juan Carlos’ intention was to test the NBA free agent waters come July. However, on Wednesday he received the proverbial offer he could not refuse from his old team. We plan on extending a qualifying offer to Juan Carlos so that the Grizzlies retain the right to match any future offer if he ever decides to return to the NBA. “Juan Carlos made a positive contribution to the team and we wish him and his family all the best in his return to his homeland.”
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53078/19691231/grizzlies_will_still_extend_qualifying_offer_to_na varro/