Pages : [1] 2

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 09:03 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_jr_smith.jpg

J.R. Smith | SG
Born: Sep 9, 1985
Height: 6-6 / 1,98
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99,8 kg.
High School: St. Benedict's Prep (Newark, NJ)
Years Pro: 3

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jr_smith/index.html)

I'm not sure the Spurs have a better shot at a young athletic scoring guard this summer. 22 years old. They must have seen something they liked as they've already traded for him once. Do it.

MaNu4Tres
06-08-2008, 09:10 PM
If he cleans up his shot selection and buys the meaning of defense I'm all for it.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Finley played no defense and was scared to shoot, so this will be the opposite, offensively. If he's aggressive enough, Manu can start.

Those are his 3 point percentages for the last three seasons as a chucker in an unstructured offense.

Hey folks, Manu takes bad shots. As long as Pop doesn't go apeshit, and uses a judicious hook, I think it will work out. I'd like to see Barry and Smith playing off each other with the second unit.

A.H 21-50
06-08-2008, 09:28 PM
the guy is young
can bring his athletism and shoot to the team

why not: one of the best choice if we want a wing player imo but have to learn a lot and be more mature

exstatic
06-08-2008, 09:34 PM
This is a high risk, high reward proposition. The guy has everything except common sense and maturity. He's got handle, a sweet jumper, and an outrageous vertical. This is the only FA in our reach this summer that has All NBA potential. He could also be flipping burgers in 5 years.

Bob Lanier
06-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Those are his 3 point percentages for the last three seasons as a chucker in an unstructured offense.

Hey folks, Manu takes bad shots. As long as Pop doesn't go apeshit, and uses a judicious hook, I think it will work out. I'd like to see Barry and Smith playing off each other with the second unit.
:tu

He'd be perfect for the Spurs, and is very far from being the biggest bad apple in Denver's locker room.

angelbelow
06-08-2008, 09:47 PM
as long as hes better than finley, im down.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 09:53 PM
I'd rather play Diop at SG next year if the choice is Finley.

The Truth #6
06-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Hopefully Denver resigns Carmelo and we can come in and try to steal him away. I was impressed with him versus the Lakers. At moments he was unstoppable going to the rim, even against Kobe. His PER was the highest on the team for the playoffs as well, IIRC.

Spurtacus
06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Bring him in! He's young and has a few years experience. But, how much is it going to cost us?

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Spurs would need to offer full MLE for at least three years to scare away the Nuggets....and even that might not work.

It's something the Spurs should seriously consider though. This kid could be a beast for the Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Despite his troubles, you can't help but love his upside. Bring him in at all costs.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Sign him to the MLE for 4 years. If he doesn't work out, you have a tradeable asset.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 10:33 PM
If he cleans up his shot selection and buys the meaning of defense I'm all for it.

:lol

If I #### Jessica Alba I might buy her dinner.

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Sign him to the MLE for 4 years. If he doesn't work out, you have a tradeable asset.

$26M is alot of cheese for this high-risk guy, but I guess it would be $52M for the Nuggets, which is alot more cheese....just might work.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 10:38 PM
There is a lot of crazy in this thread.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:38 PM
$26M is alot of cheese for this high-risk guy, but I guess it would be $52M for the Nuggets, which is alot more cheese....just might work.

That's the idea.

picnroll
06-08-2008, 10:39 PM
This is the guy that the Spurs might be able to get with the most well rounded offense. The guy that could easily be that fourth scorer. If Pop can get this guy to play with discipline on both sides of the floor he's the best option. IF

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 10:41 PM
There is a lot of crazy in this thread.

You're fighting a lost cause here...just back away from this thread slowly.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Who else is out there who is available for the MLE with his ability and his upside?

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Who else is out there who is available for the MLE with his ability and his upside?

Exactly...

JR Smith is easily worth the MLE as currently constituted and would be an outright steal if the other aspects of his game fell into place.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Denver, although they denied it after the fact, has thrown Melo's name out there in trade discussions rather than Smith or even Iverson for that matter. He's likely to be the last on the list of their Cap Casualties and they'll likely shed what they need to to keep him. For what he could bring to the team I'd rather go after Barners, even with the age differential and draft a young guard with a high ceiling as a scorer who can be coached up on the defensive end.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Spurs know they have to get more athletic and that they have to get more scoring from their 4-12 guys. Yes, the Spurs have a '2010 plan', but do they really need all $30 million or whatever in cap room that they hypothetically have right now? Signing a 22 year old athletic scorer who has proven he can put up points in the NBA isn't the worst thing. If anything, it would give the Spurs a tradeable asset down the line. Hey, he couldn't be worse than Finley.

When the Spurs have known they needed to change the supporting cast, they did. The Luxury Tax is not a concern this summer. They've traded for this guy before.

Sure, it may seem a little unorthodox. About as much as starting a 23 year old Stephen Jackson in the NBA Finals.

If anything, the trouble with Splitter might push them in this direction. Bringing Splitter over would have made them feel comfortable. Now they need to dig and make things happen.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 10:50 PM

There is no constitutional obligation to spend the MLE on any single player, or at all.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:51 PM
There is no constitutional obligation to spend the MLE on any single player, or at all.

Sure. But they will this summer.

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 10:51 PM

And your choice(s) would be?

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 10:54 PM
And your choice(s) would be?

If we're gonna spend like drunken sailors, go the vaunted 'buy a pick' idea. This is simply a player who does not play organized basketball, on either end of the court. He would be enormously disruptive to the Spurs. To those claiming evidence they nearly traded for him before as proof they should do so again, let us remind them that the trade was primarily to jettison Brent Barry's then-valueles contract with an outside chance of trying out a far cheaper JR Smith, a known headcase.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Yes, they need to sign a guy who can flame out on offense and give you next to nothing every other night on defense at the least as a tradeable asset. A guy who makes a living either bombing away from behind the arc or trying to make the highlight reel on Sportscenter above the rim who lacks the mid-range game S-Jax had.

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
If we're gonna spend like drunken sailors, go the vaunted 'buy a pick' idea. This is simply a player who does not play organized basketball, on either end of the court. He would be enormously disruptive to the Spurs. To those claiming evidence they nearly traded for him before as proof they should do so again, let us remind them that the trade was primarily to jettison Brent Barry's then-valueles contract with an outside chance of trying out a far cheaper JR Smith, a known headcase.

So your solution is to leverage a future pick and cash to get a player in the '08 draft with the hope that he'll make the same impact as an NBA-ready double-digit scorer with upside?

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Part of the sign Scola argument was that if he didn't work out you could trade him. But then Scola was a well-rounded player who could do something besides score.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:01 PM
So your solution is to leverage a future pick and cash to get a player in the '08 draft with the hope that he'll make the same impact as an NBA-ready double-digit scorer with upside?

I'm saying if we're going to piss our money away.

Yes, I'd rather buy a pick, pick a player with a decent head on his shoulders, rather than give the full MLE to a basketcase who in no conceivable way makes his team better.

Stop saying upside. At a certain point a player is WYSIWYG and Smith is past that point.

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 11:05 PM

Yes, I'd rather buy a pick, pick a player with a decent head on his shoulders, rather than give the full MLE to a basketcase who in no conceivable way makes his team better.

Stop saying upside. At a certain point a player is WYSIWYG and Smith is past that point.

Fine....with no upside this guy shoots above 45% from the floor (over 40% on 3pt) and averages double-digit points in less than 20 minutes.

How you can say that type of production "in no conceivable way makes his team better" is beyond me.

T Park
06-08-2008, 11:08 PM
JR Smith would be a better version of Stephen Jackson.

He would fit the mold of someone who WANTS to take a shot, and someone who wants to take down the Lakers.

Bring him on.

I would make him FA priority numero uno this summer.

SequSpur
06-08-2008, 11:09 PM
JR Smith Sucks.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Fine....with no upside this guy shoots above 45% from the floor (over 40% on 3pt) and averages double-digit points in less than 20 minutes.

How you can say that type of production "in no conceivable way makes his team better" is beyond me.

Win share. I have no idea what it is in this case, but he has a case of the Earl Boykins disease, where a player disrupts an offense to generate his own points while giving up points on the other end. Meanwhile he is productive in no other way.

It's like you guys think we're playing a Tower Defense game and see JR Smith as a rocket turret, you just stick him in the game and he starts nailing shots. But this is basketball, and there are real consequences to his presence.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2008, 11:12 PM
JR Smith Sucks.

Stop just posting trash in every thread. JR Smith is actually the style of player you like ... scores a lot, is a balla.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Yes, they need to sign a guy who can flame out on offense and give you next to nothing every other night on defense at the least as a tradeable asset. A guy who makes a living either bombing away from behind the arc or trying to make the highlight reel on Sportscenter above the rim who lacks the mid-range game S-Jax had.

Believe it or not players like that have value in the league.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 11:15 PM
JR Smith Sucks.

eh, shut up shorty.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 11:16 PM

He's fucking 22 years old, the same age as some of the draftees, and you're ready to write his ass off. No one is denying he has issues. If he didn't, he'd be fielding MAX offers this summer.

There is no more talented fully developed NBA player available this summer in our price range or the draft after maybe the top 3 picks. Period. End of story.

SequSpur
06-08-2008, 11:17 PM
JR Smith is a wack job.

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:19 PM
manu takes alot of bad shots but no one hardly says anything

NewJerSpur
Believe it or not players like that have value in the league.

I'll take a pass on seeing Smith force the action (which he often does) trying to bring the team back from a deficit he'd help to create with some of his suspect decision-making and "all-or-nothing" style of offense. Denver can go ahead and lock him up because I was happy seeing him on the floor against the Spurs in 2007 taking shots away from Iverson and Melo.

Marcus Bryant
He's fucking 22 years old, the same age as some of the draftees, and you're ready to write his ass off. No one is denying he has issues. If he didn't, he'd be fielding MAX offers this summer.

There is no more talented fully developed NBA player available this summer in our price range or the draft after maybe the top 3 picks. Period. End of story.

So the Spurs shouldn't spend money on raw unproven talent, but we're going to bitch about the Spurs not having raw unproven talent in their pipeline?

I hate Spurs fans.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Win share. I have no idea what it is in this case, but he has a case of the Earl Boykins disease, where a player disrupts an offense to generate his own points while giving up points on the other end. Meanwhile he is productive in no other way.

It's like you guys think we're playing a Tower Defense game and see JR Smith as a rocket turret, you just stick him in the game and he starts nailing shots. But this is basketball, and there are real consequences to his presence.

Yeah, like we beat LA in a series. That's one consequence. Finley plays no defense either. Now, plug in JR Smiths numbers as a #4 option, which he was in Denver. LA couldn't keep his ass out of the paint or stop his long ball.

SequSpur
06-08-2008, 11:20 PM

Max offers? Come on....

picnroll
06-08-2008, 11:21 PM
To paraphrase SequSpur, Mr Body sucks. Playing on he Nuggets with gunners like Melo and AI isn't exactly the training ground for disciplined team play. Not to mention a coach like Karl. The guy has the tools to be an all-star or near all-star if he'll buy into it.

picnroll
06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I'll take a pass on seeing Smith force the action (which he often does) trying to bring the team back from a deficit he'd help to create with some of his suspect decision-making and "all-or-nothing" style of offense. Denver can go ahead and lock him up because I was happy seeing him on the floor against the Spurs in 2007 taking shots away from Iverson and Melo.

Sounds like the Stephen Jackson that helped the Spurs win a trophy.

SequSpur
The Spurs don't need another perimeter player to jack up the 3 ball. Live and die by the jumper.

The Spurs need an athletic front line, not a bunch of wack job shooters.

exstatic

He was HUGE against the Lakers this year, probably the best Nugget, and he's their #4 option, which would be is role here.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Jesus, it's not like JR Smith is unproven. He's quite proven what kind of player he is.

Just because you have the MLE doesn't mean you should throw it all at a disruptive player who can't play defense and doesn't care to. Be a little smarter about this, pls.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 11:24 PM

Stephen Jackson actually had a mid-range game and could pass the ball from time to time when he didn't have a clear shot at the basket.

exstatic

+1. I don't think you can win with all vanilla. Maybe JR would be the jalapeno for our jalapeno sundae. He's also a better shooter and ball handler than Jack.

ducks
The Spurs don't need another perimeter player to jack up the 3 ball. Live and die by the jumper.

The Spurs need an athletic front line, not a bunch of wack job shooters.

he got layups against la when he played them:flag::flag::flag::flag:

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah, like we beat LA in a series. That's one consequence. Finley plays no defense either. Now, plug in JR Smiths numbers as a #4 option, which he was in Denver. LA couldn't keep his ass out of the paint or stop his long ball.

And... he had no consequence in that series. No impact. Scoring 20 for a sub-mediocre team getting run out of the building in the playoffs does not automatically equal a good Spurs prospect.

ducks
Stephen Jackson actually had a mid-range game and could pass the ball from time to time when he didn't have a clear shot at the basket.

jackson had a better coach then karl to:lol:lol:lol:lol

NewJerSpur
He was HUGE against the Lakers this year, probably the best Nugget, and he's their #4 option, which would be is role here.

Guess the Lakers had to give the points up to someone, but only that someone....hence Denver's loss.

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:26 PM
And... he had no consequence in that series. No impact. Scoring 20 for a sub-mediocre team getting run out of the building in the playoffs does not automatically equal a good Spurs prospect.

but all that unproven draft picks = better prospect:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

exstatic

How can you have a mid range game when you can't dribble the ball? I hated seeing Jack dribble worse than I hated seeing Bowen dribble.

Man of Steel
Sign him

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:27 PM
he got layups against la when he played them::

As long as we get to play on one side of the gym we're aces.

ducks
sign him and front load the deal

exstatic

Being a #4 option that can score at will against LA = great Spurs prospect.

ducks

he will play better d when duncan is behind him
and bowen shows him a few pointers

picnroll
06-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Jackson had a mid-range game? Jackson shot threes and drove to the basket when he wasn't turning the ball over. He could play pretty good D and rebound.

exstatic

Was Finley shutting anyone down? Was Barry? We've had more than a few one way players here in the last 5 seasons.

Marcus Bryant
Ugh. The main value here is that he can put up points during the regular season and play minutes that Manu wouldn't have to.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:29 PM
but all that unproven draft picks = better prospect:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

In this case, yes, absolutely.

I would absolutely take an unproven first round draft pick this year over a proven to be undisciplined and disruptive JR Smith who cannot play defense and does not improve his team. Yes.

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:29 PM
jr smith a proven nba scorer that can go for 20-30 points a game for 6 million
or a unproven rookie for almost a million?

who is the better prospect?

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:30 PM
jr smith will not force more shots then manu does
jr smith also will get rid open three when they double team duncan

manu's d is not that great either

he see's the passing lanes but usually spurs hide him on one of the worse shotters on the other team

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 11:30 PM
How can you have a mid range game when you can't dribble the ball? I hated seeing Jack dribble worse than I hated seeing Bowen dribble.

Actually, Jax's dribble was more controlled/compact with the Spurs (1 move and go) than J.R.'s tendency to take multiple dribbles and trying to force the action. Jax was/is more comfortable taking mid-range jumpers than Smith who often steps behind the line when close to 3-point range to take shots or forces the action to the rim in situations where an elbow jumper would suffice.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Was Finley shutting anyone down? Was Barry? We've had more than a few one way players here in the last 5 seasons.

Is that really your argument? He plays worse defense - in fact, doesn't even care - than two of our players so we should give him all of the MLE?

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:33 PM
jr smith a proven nba scorer that can go for 20-30 points a game for 6 million
or a unproven rookie for almost a million?

who is the better prospect?

For the Spurs, or a team that doesn't care how many games it wins?

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Is that really your argument? He plays worse defense - in fact, doesn't even care - than two of our players so we should give him all of the MLE?

HE DOES NOT CARE BECAUSE THE FRANCHISE DOES NOT CARE!
The spurs does and people buy into ot

look at boston
kg plays d and all boston players play d now

do you watch basketball?

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 11:34 PM

So who should they sign?

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:35 PM
jr smith on the spurs would win plus 60 games
and limit manu minutes to less then 30 minutes a game

exstatic
06-08-2008, 11:36 PM

He'll care, or he won't play. MLE contracts are the bread and butter of NBA trades. If RC can move Malik and Rasho's albatross deals, any possible Smith mistake would be easily fixable. He's not going to ruin the franchise.

This kid could probably average 15 off the bench without taking any shots from anyone not named Finley or Barry.

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:36 PM
So who should they sign?

he wants a guy in the draft that is not proven:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:37 PM
He'll care, or he won't play. MLE contracts are the bread and butter of NBA trades. If RC can move Malik and Rasho's albatross deals, any possible Smith mistake would be easily fixable. He's not going to ruin the franchise.

no kidding especially since is 22 not 30 or past his prime:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 11:37 PM

No kidding. Yeah, here's a 22 year old athlete who can put up 15 a night and he's signed for the MLE. You want him?

exstatic
06-08-2008, 11:38 PM
So who should they sign?

Someone he can bitch about RC signing. :rolleyes

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:40 PM
HE DOES NOT CARE BECAUSE THE FRANCHISE DOES NOT CARE!
The spurs does and people buy into ot

look at boston
kg plays d and all boston players play d now

do you watch basketball?

Yes, yes, give JR Smith a brain transplant. I saw that in a science-fiction movie once. This guy had his brain put into the body of an ape. Then he was as strong and polished and as great a defender as an ape.

You guys really think Smith is magically going to transform into a defensive minded, team-first player once he signs a mighty big contract with the Spurs.

You don't have this crazy, niggling feeling that maybe, just maybe he had a pretty good year (in jacking up terms) because it was a contract year?

And that his team kind of blew, but had enough talent to mosey into the playoffs, where they got beat black and blue?

You actually think he sucks at defense because of the team around him? :lol

Looks, acts, talks like a duck... is a duck, man.

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:40 PM
sj did

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Yes, yes, give JR Smith a brain transplant. I saw that in a science-fiction movie once. This guy had his brain put into the body of an ape. Then he was as strong and polished and as great a defender as an ape.

You guys really think Smith is magically going to transform into a defensive minded, team-first player once he signs a mighty big contract with the Spurs.

You don't have this crazy, niggling feeling that maybe, just maybe he had a pretty good year (in jacking up terms) because it was a contract year?

And that his team kind of blew, but had enough talent to mosey into the playoffs, where they got beat black and blue?

some players do not play great with their team

beno played better for kings then spurs

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Jack was a similiar, seemlingly brainless, yet gifted perimeter talent. Also a much less refined scorer when the Spurs picked him up.

What's the solution here? The Spurs can't acquire the perfect JR Smith. I'm not sure the Spurs could have done anything to meet the standard they are being held to for their 4th through 12th players.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 11:43 PM

He's actually had two consecutive solid years for Denver, and three overall excellent 3 point shooting years in a row.

Marcus Bryant

Yeah, this has become pretty fucking stupid.

Mr. Body

This kid could probably average 15 off the bench without taking any shots from anyone not named Finley or Barry.

Yes! Let's sign a one-dimensional me-first headcase to the full MLE, totally disregarding the fact he was motivated (slightly) this year because it was a contract year for him and he'll not lift a damn finger to do jack shit after he's signed! No! No! We'll expect him to shake off those leopard spots and suddenly become as good as Michael Finley was in his prime! He can run! He can jump and shoot! He's a goddamn gazelle! Mwa! Mwa! Everything's great if we can just spend this MLE on this guy!

Nah. This guy was worth a shot making rookie scale. At the MLE no way.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Denver, although they denied it after the fact, has thrown Melo's name out there in trade discussions rather than Smith or even Iverson for that matter. He's likely to be the last on the list of their Cap Casualties and they'll likely shed what they need to to keep him. For what he could bring to the team I'd rather go after Barners, even with the age differential and draft a young guard with a high ceiling as a scorer who can be coached up on the defensive end.

Barnes can't play shooting guard.

Shooting guard is priority 1 this summer, unless the idea of geriatric, no defense playing Michael Finley starting with Manu backing him up coming off an Olympics run gives you a warm fuzzy for the 2009 playoffs...

picnroll
06-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Jack was a similiar, seemlingly brainless, yet gifted perimeter talent. Also a much less refined scorer when the Spurs picked him up.

What's the solution here? The Spurs can't acquire the perfect JR Smith. I'm not sure the Spurs could have done anything to meet the standard they are being held to for their 4th through 12th players.
Not to mention that Jack had the reputation of being a poor defender when he came to the Spurs. But then we all know Pop has never gotten any player to improve on D.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:45 PM
He's actually had two consecutive solid years for Denver, and three overall excellent 3 point shooting years in a row.

Yes! Yes! He can shoot three-pointers! Like Luke Jackson! Sign him up!

dastrey
Signing J.R. Smith should be the Spurs top priority. He is going to be a stud. He is a better player than Stephen Jackson was in '03 and is still very young.

Marcus Bryant
Yes! Let's sign a one-dimensional me-first headcase to the full MLE, totally disregarding the fact he was motivated (slightly) this year because it was a contract year for him and he'll not lift a damn finger to do jack shit after he's signed! No! No! We'll expect him to shake off those leopard spots and suddenly become as good as Michael Finley was in his prime! He can run! He can jump and shoot! He's a goddamn gazelle! Mwa! Mwa! Everything's great if we can just spend this MLE on this guy!

Nah. This guy was worth a shot making rookie scale. At the MLE no way.

OK, so who is available this summer instead? Marcus Dove?

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 11:46 PM
What are these great moves the Spurs have not made? At this point it looks like anything short of Kobe as their 4th scorer is unacceptable.

Aggie Hoopsfan

Just give it up exstatic, unless the player's name is Javtokas Mr. Body doesn't want to see him paid a dime by the Spurs.

ducks

yeah spurs unable to hit three pointers in their losses was a big reason why they lost
no need to address that
also he can get a layup
spurs do not need to get better in that area at all:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Mr. Body

You're not too swift. I don't bitch about RC signing people - well, unless it's Bonner, and please don't defend that one -- as I spend most my time bitching about the players he doesn't sign.

But congratulations, once RC and the Spurs org don't even take one look at JR Smith this year you can bitch about them not signing him.

NewJerSpur
Barnes can't play shooting guard.

Shooting guard is priority 1 this summer, unless the idea of geriatric, no defense playing Michael Finley starting with Manu backing him up coming off an Olympics run gives you a warm fuzzy for the 2009 playoffs...

I wasn't suggesting Barnes play SG, and Finley is a SF not a SG.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2008, 11:47 PM

Pass the ball? Buckets was a turnover machine. Some people have short memories.

exstatic

His overall FG%s for the last two seasons were 44 and 46%. If that's a chucker, chuck away.

Marcus Bryant
You're not too swift. I don't bitch about RC signing people - well, unless it's Bonner, and please don't defend that one -- as I spend most my time bitching about the players he doesn't sign.

But congratulations, once RC and the Spurs org don't even take one look at JR Smith this year you can bitch about them not signing him.

Who should he sign instead?

NewJerSpur

:tu

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:48 PM
His overall FG%s for the last two seasons were 44 and 46%. If that's a chucker, chuck away.

oh oh is that close to barry:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Pass the ball? Buckets was a turnover machine. Some people have short memories.

The guy still had a more compact offensive style than Boom or Bust Smith.

Aggie Hoopsfan

And of course being 22 and with the actual prospect of being exposed to some coaching here in SA instead of playground ball in Denver, there's no hope at all for this kid to learn how to play defense. :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
Pop should've started Steve Smith in Game 6 of the '03 Finals.

Mr. Body
Fantastic. Maybe we can sew him onto the back of someone who plays defense or will make the extra pass or knows rotations or won't sulk if he happens to not get at least 12 shots a game or tries to get a couple rebounds every now and again.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 11:50 PM

They're looking at a draft prospect, and are allegedly high on him, who has done prison time and is a 22 YO early JUCO declare. Brumbaugh.

ducks
THIS GUY WOULD BE PERFECT for 6 million
also he is not afraid to shot
unlike finely who thinks to much

Aggie Hoopsfan
What's the solution here?

Mr. Body doesn't want J.R. taking the MLE because he still thinks we should give it all to Javtokas. :lol

Marcus Bryant

Compact? ROFL.

He hit shots. That's it. He made shots when they were needed. He made love to pressure or whatever.

And that's not even what they need out of JR Smith. They just need someone who can put up points and take up minutes during the regular season.

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Fantastic. Maybe we can sew him onto the back of someone who plays defense or will make the extra pass or knows rotations or won't sulk if he happens to not get at least 12 shots a game or tries to get a couple rebounds every now and again.

he should get 6-10 shots a game

manu is not going to play more then 30 minutes a game before the allstar game this up coming season

exstatic

Smith has never even averaged 12 FGAs per game any time in his career. Anything else, or are you going to sew TWO people on Finley's back: one to play defense and the other to shoot?

Marcus Bryant

Yeah, because no other Spur had a rep for not being a defensive stalwart before coming to SA.

Anyways, who should RC sign instead? Who should RC have signed?

Mr. Body
And of course being 22 and with the actual prospect of being exposed to some coaching here in SA instead of playground ball in Denver, there's no hope at all for this kid to learn how to play defense. :rolleyes

I'll sign him for the full MLE and cross my fingers hoping the coaching will take. Yeah, he'll spurt that coaching out like an organ transplant. This, after a contract year. Like it's not Jackie Butler all over again.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2008, 11:52 PM
I wasn't suggesting Barnes play SG, and Finley is a SF not a SG.

So you're saying Bowen was our starting SG?

Come on, Finley is a 2guard on the Spurs. Our starting one for 2008 at that (I just threw up in my mouth a little typing that).

Mr.Bottomtooth
They're looking at a draft prospect, and are allegedly high on him, who has done prison time and is a 22 YO early JUCO declare. Brumbaugh.

:rollin
I completely forgot about that.

NewJerSpur
Compact? ROFL.

He hit shots. That's it. He made shots when they were needed. He made love to pressure or whatever.

And that's not even what they need out of JR Smith. They just need someone who can put up points and take up minutes during the regular season.

Yes, compact. Someone would have to tell Smith what the SPURS would need from him....but they likely won't get the chance to once Denver locks him up.

ducks
you sign him
then you sign diop to clean up the garbage
ian to clean up the garbage

Buddy Holly
Sign him!

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 11:53 PM
So you're saying Bowen was our starting SG?

Come on, Finley is a 2guard on the Spurs. Our starting one for 2008 at that (I just threw up in my mouth a little typing that).

Finely is a SF, not a SG....don't let the shooting part fool you.

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:53 PM
I'll sign him for the full MLE and cross my fingers hoping the coaching will take. Yeah, he'll spurt that coaching out like an organ transplant. This, after a contract year. Like it's not Jackie Butler all over again.

he will not sign if he thinks pop is to tough

most players in the nba would love to play for pop

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2008, 11:55 PM

Stephen Jackson, for his career, averages 2.4 turnovers per game.

J.R Smith, for his career, averages 1.5 turnovers per game.

Just admit you don't like the guy.

Buddy Holly
06-08-2008, 11:55 PM

WTF?

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Stephen Jackson, for his career, averages 2.4 turnovers per game.

J.R Smith, for his career, averages 1.5 turnovers per game.

Just admit you don't like the guy.

I think the guy does have upside, but don't think he's a championship calibur fit for this team like Jax was.

Slinkyman
I don't think it'll take the full MLE to get JR, most of it but not all of it. I'd give him a shot.

Buddy Holly
Does NewJerSpur know one damn thing about what he's talking about?

Aggie Hoopsfan

Smith's gotten better year after year. Jackie was an enigma with reasonable stats in his contract year. Horrible comparison.

Still waiting to hear who you think we should sign instead, other than some unknown future all-star with our late first round draft pick :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2008, 11:57 PM

:lmao

Marcus Bryant
Yes, compact. Someone would have to tell Smith what the SPURS would need from him....but they likely won't get the chance to once Denver locks him up.

Denver is going to pay double for him on top of their other contracts?

Jack needed to be told what the Spurs wanted from him multiple times. He never really got it. But it worked out in '03.

Mr.Bottomtooth
WTF?

NewJerSpur

Of course not, I just became a Spurs fan a few weeks ago.

Buddy Holly
I don't think it'll take the full MLE to get JR, most of it but not all of it. I'd give him a shot.

He's restricted and if Denver trades Melo, they'd probably be willing to spend MLE like money or more to keep him.

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:58 PM

you offer it all
a couple of teams might offer it
or you offer a 3 year deal and let him have the player option
then you reward him:lobt2:

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 11:58 PM
I think the guy does have upside, but don't think he's a championship calibur fit for this team like Jax was.

ROFL. Jack was one raw turnover chucker in SA.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Denver is going to pay double for him on top of their other contracts?

Jack needed to be told what the Spurs wanted from him multiple times. He never really got it. But it worked out in '03.

Apparently he got enough of it. Denver has already tried to move Melo.

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:59 PM
CAP GEEKS
is there a way to front load the mle deal?

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Apparently he got enough of it. Denver has already tried to move Melo.

Denver is moving Anthony for this guy and yet the Spurs shouldn't make a run at him? Huh?

Aggie Hoopsfan

Holy fucking shit. Get off his damn player page on nba.com and recognize he's a shooting guard in San Antonio.

Or are you telling we started four forwards this year.

Bruce Bowen was our starting SF, Finley our starting shooting guard.

You can call Finley whatever the hell you want, fuck you can call him a center for all I care.

Bottom line, here's our lineup:

PG: Parker
SG: Finley
SF: Bowen
PF: Duncan
C: Thomas

Right now our SG situation needs a lot of work with an ancient Finley (who I hope to God isn't back) and an aging/injured Manu going into an Olympic summer.

As Marcus said, no one's looking for someone to have the ball in their hands in the fourth of game 7 of the Finals, they're looking for a guy to put up points and keep the wear and tear down on Manu for the regular season.

This guy fits the bill.

picnroll
Jack patented the crossover, off the foot, out of bounds and crossover/strip the ball moves. He has improved his ball handling post-Spurs.

Buddy Holly
The ONLY thing Jax has on JR is height and body mass.

exstatic
06-09-2008, 12:01 AM

Denver has 5 players under contract for next year that make $65M combined. That's 5 players taking you right up to the luxury tax. They still need to sign another 8 players, ALL costing them the tax, to fill out their roster. Even at minimum salaries, that's probably another $10 M, and your whole bench is minimum salary guys. If we sign him to the MLE, they pay double to match. They simply will not be able to completely offload enough salary in 2 weeks. Everyone is going to want to send back contracts, even for Carmelo.

NewJerSpur
Many here get mighty defensive about J.R., but nevertheless....

picnroll
He's restricted and if Denver trades Melo, they'd probably be willing to spend MLE like money or more to keep him.
They'll still have to take back contracts and be in Cap Hell.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Stephen Jackson was a bench discard who averaged 2 points per game the last three months of the year before he came to SA. Then he went to Spurs U. for a year sitting at the end of the bench with tendinitis of the knee or whatever the hell the flavor of the month injured list excuse was.

Like I said, some folks have a short ass memory.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Smith's gotten better year after year. Jackie was an enigma with reasonable stats in his contract year. Horrible comparison.

Still waiting to hear who you think we should sign instead, other than some unknown future all-star with our late first round draft pick :lol

That's such a tired debate ploy... oh yeah, what'd you do, huh? Well, I wouldn't keep doing what we're discussing doing. That's the issue, yeah?

But anyway, since you asked...

I'd rather hang onto the money if JR Smith at the MLE is the other option. Unless, say, you live in fairy tale land and Rumplestiltskin comes and steals your mother's soul unless you spend that last chunk of millions on a headcase. But then that's the kind of logic employed by Smith arselickers around here. Moonie eyed dingbats.

I'd take Diop before him.
Take a look at Siskauskas.

The better idea is to split the money up like usual, but this wouldn't occur to you, I guess.

Pietrus is a better option. At least he could contribute, although I'm not a big fan. Smith won't contribute to much of anything. I'm happy to be wrong, but I doubt I will be. The Spurs have clearly defined by their words and activities the players they like to have in their organization. Seriously seriously doubt even now they go against that. Butler is exactly the Smith-type in character: completely self-absorbed and without understanding of team goals and initiatives beyond himself.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:03 AM
They'll still have to take back contracts and be in Cap Hell.

Right. They're screwed regardless. Which makes them less likely to match an offer to Smith.

Buddy Holly
06-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Many here get mighty defensive about J.R., but nevertheless....

Any defensiveness pops its head into the picture when complete morons like you start entering the discussion.

ducks
06-09-2008, 12:04 AM
if spurs had jr this year instead of booner
they would be up 2-0 against boston

Mr. Body
The ONLY thing Jax has on JR is height and body mass.

Wow. Other than the fact that he's a tremendous player in this league, does things other than hit shots, is a team leader, rebounds, plays defense, passes the ball, hustles, and cares about winning.

Other than that, practically brothers.

NewJerSpur
Stephen Jackson was a bench discard who averaged 2 points per game the last three months of the year before he came to SA. Then he went to Spurs U. for a year sitting at the end of the bench with tendinitis of the knee or whatever the hell the flavor of the month injured list excuse was.

Like I said, some folks have a short ass memory.

Sure. We'll revisit this entire debate when Smith is not wearing a Spurs Jersey next season. How's that?

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:05 AM
That's such a tired debate ploy... oh yeah, what'd you do, huh? Well, I wouldn't keep doing what we're discussing doing. That's the issue, yeah?

I'd rather hang onto the money if JR Smith at the MLE is the other option. Unless, say, you live in fairy tale land and Rumplestiltskin comes and steals your mother's soul unless you spend that last chunk of millions on a headcase. But then that's the kind of logic employed by Smith arselickers around here. Moonie eyed dingbats.

The better idea is to split the money up like usual, but this wouldn't occur to you, I guess.

Pietrus is a better option. At least he could contribute, although I'm not a big fan. Smith won't contribute to much of anything. I'm happy to be wrong, but I doubt I will be. The Spurs have clearly defined by their words and activities the players they like to have in their organization. Seriously seriously doubt even now they go against that. Butler is exactly the Smith-type in character: completely self-absorbed and without understanding of team goals and initiatives beyond himself.

Obviously the players the Spurs would like in their organization are the kind who squeeze off rounds in a strip club parking lot and beat down fans.

Pietrus couldn't create offense for himself. Diop? Diop would do nothing for this team.

Mr. Body
Any defensiveness pops its head into the picture when complete morons like you start entering the discussion.

I love this. You don't like my balla I'm in love with! You're a moron!

ducks
SPURS WENT AFTER KiDD WHO BEAT HIS WIFE
and wanted to give him max money to

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:06 AM
SPURS WENT AFTER KiDD WHO BEAT HIS WIFE

Right. And they were offering him about 5 times what it would take to land Smith.

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 12:06 AM

Funny, people who use terms such as morons to describe other posters are the ones you would actuallly believe to be on the defensive. If it makes you feel superior feel free to unload buddy.

picnroll
06-09-2008, 12:09 AM

Pietrus? Diop? Siskauskas?
Yeah they're going to take the scoring pressure off of Parker and Ginobili.

:rofl

Buddy Holly
06-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Wow. Other than the fact that he's a tremendous player in this league, does things other than hit shots, is a team leader, rebounds, plays defense, passes the ball, hustles, and cares about winning.

Other than that, practically brothers.

Team leader? A team leader on the Warriors is nothing to put on your resume. Was he also the leader of the Pacers team? I doubt it.

He should rebound, he's 6'8 and one of tallest players in the Warriors rotation.

JR Smith and Iverson were the probably the only players with any heart in the Lakers-Nugs series.

Buddy Holly
06-09-2008, 12:11 AM
I love this. You don't like my balla I'm in love with! You're a moron!

Nope, if you can bring intelligent input, articulate retorts then there's no problem. I don't care about any player enough to get personally insulting if you don't like them.

Hell, I could care less if the Spurs don't sign JR Smith.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Obviously the players the Spurs would like in their organization are the kind who squeeze off rounds in a strip club parking lot and beat down fans.

Pietrus couldn't create offense for himself. Diop? Diop would do nothing for this team.

I'm not sure about Diop yet. Too many bigs already.

Pietrus is easily a better pick-up than Smith as he has the brains to fit into a team concept. I don't think they need him, precisely.

That's why I offered the draft idea. I literally don't see any MLE type solutions. What I'd really like to do is steal Childress out of Atlanta with the MLE but that wouldn't work. Otherwise I'd just try to get Pargo and Barnes, smaller pieces, and rebuild through the draft otherwise. There's not much else there unless looking at Siskauskas and overseas offerings. I literally do not think Smith is even an option, as he's a terrible fit at this price for the Spurs. Notice I said 'at this price'.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 12:12 AM
T

Moon eyed dingbats? From a guy who would rather the Spurs make a run at the '09 title with Finley starting at 2G and an Olympic year Manu backing him up? LMAO!

It would, but it doesn't get us a starting 2G who can get us 15 a night and keep Manu's regular season minutes down.

Pietrus is a knucklehead. For someone who is so adamant about Smith being a head case, you sure seem to have a fondness for a guy who is every bit the head case of Smith, and even worse thinks he's worth the max.

But please, by all means keep up with the condescending bullshit while advocating the Spurs either pocket their MLE or sign a 'me first, I deserve the max' low bball IQ guy in Pietrus. It's what you do best. Another shitty take brought to you by Mr. NoBody.

Bob Lanier
06-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Brent Barry is a better rebounder than Stephen Jackson. And Brent Barry isn't a very good rebounder.

I suppose that Jackson "cares about winning" to the extent that he behaves like a sane human being when he's winning and not so much when he's not.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Sure. We'll revisit this entire debate when Smith is not wearing a Spurs Jersey next season. How's that?

What does that have to do with your horrible take on the turnover prowess of Smith vis a vis Buckets?

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm not sure about Diop yet. Too many bigs already.

Pietrus is easily a better pick-up than Smith as he has the brains to fit into a team concept. I don't think they need him, precisely.

That's why I offered the draft idea. I literally don't see any MLE type solutions. What I'd really like to do is steal Childress out of Atlanta with the MLE but that wouldn't work. Otherwise I'd just try to get Pargo and Barnes, smaller pieces, and rebuild through the draft otherwise. There's not much else there unless looking at Siskauskas and overseas offerings. I literally do not think Smith is even an option, as he's a terrible fit at this price for the Spurs. Notice I said 'at this price'.

Jack did? That's a new one.

I thought the Spurs needed to build a supporting cast to win now?

Sure, Childress would be great. Jamison would be better.

Syphilis? Let's deal with who has proven they can score in this league.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Pietrus? Diop? Siskauskas?
Yeah they're going to take the scoring pressure off of Parker and Ginobili.

:rofl

No they're not, you missed the part where he's rather the Spurs not spend the MLE. Yep, that's right, he thinks that 5 million in Holt's pocket is going to ease the Big 3's scoring load each night. :lol

picnroll
06-09-2008, 12:15 AM
The French national team, which needed scoring, didn't even want Pietrus to play for them.

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Although I believe Pargo may lean towards signing back with N.O., as he has found a better fit there than in he previous teams, I think his signing and a subtle move for Barnes would put the team over the top...not to mention the possible emergence of Mahinmi who could contribute what D. Rob did on the downside of his career.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Moon eyed dingbats? From a guy who would rather the Spurs make a run at the '09 title with Finley starting at 2G and an Olympic year Manu backing him up? LMAO!

It would, but it doesn't get us a starting 2G who can get us 15 a night and keep Manu's regular season minutes down.

Pietrus is a knucklehead. For someone who is so adamant about Smith being a head case, you sure seem to have a fondness for a guy who is every bit the head case of Smith, and even worse thinks he's worth the max.

But please, by all means keep up with the condescending bullshit while advocating the Spurs either pocket their MLE or sign a 'me first, I deserve the max' low bball IQ guy in Pietrus. It's what you do best. Another shitty take brought to you by Mr. NoBody.

'Mr. NoBody'. That's really funny! Good for you! Hold on, let me write it down so I remember it. That's great, just great. It's like a Special Olympics for comedy.

Pietrus is a team-oriented player who knows his position and role. No surprise you'd think that's equivalent, somehow, with JR Smith.

And, oh yes, I've advocated starting Finley next year. Yes, yes, that was me. Because obviously if you sign Smith all your problems are solved and you won't have Barry starting within 10 games. Make that 5 games.

'Mr. NoBody'. Classic.

dastrey
06-09-2008, 12:18 AM
J.R. Smith >> Pietrus

Outside of the Big 3, the Spurs have no one else that can create their own shot. We don't need another defender that spots up for 3's. There really is no point in debating though because Smith is really a pipe dream. The Spurs would be very lucky to lock Smith up with a 6 year MLE contract.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Although I believe Pargo may lean towards signing back with N.O., as he has found a better fit there than in he previous teams, I think his signing and a subtle move for Barnes would put the team over the top...not to mention the possible emergence of Mahinmi who could contribute what D. Rob did on the downside of his career.

No! Sign Smith Now! Sign Smith Now! Don't Oppose My Manhood!

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 12:19 AM
No! Sign Smith Now! Sign Smith Now! Don't Oppose My Manhood!

You're right, lol.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Pietrus is a team-oriented player who knows his position and role. No surprise you'd think that's equivalent, somehow, with JR Smith.

Pietrus is so team oriented he demanded a max extension last year knowing doing so would have put his team 20 mil over the luxury cap.

And, oh yes, I've advocated starting Finley next year. Yes, yes, that was me.

Um, you said we should stand pat and not spend the MLE. Unless you think the 2008-2009 Spurs starting 2guard is coming out of a late first round pick this summer in the draft, which is even more comical than your assertions that Pietrus is any brighter than a pile of rocks.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:21 AM
The Spurs would find it tough to be able to land Pargo and Barnes for the MLE.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Alright, I'm done here. This thread has been absolutely hilarious. You guys getting all het up when somebody suggests there are problems with your pet buddy JR Smith. It's almost like you're terrified he's not this paragon of brilliant Spurs basketball and someone would question how a player like this could possibly work in a firmly entrenched system where each player is responsible for team goals, team tasks, and will get yelled at - from top to bottom, even Duncan. You think Smith will let himself get yelled at and thrive under that environment?

Mmmkay.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 12:22 AM
The French national team, which needed scoring, didn't even want Pietrus to play for them.

Nonsense. Pietrus is a 30 and 10 guy with Robert Horry like basketball instincts [/Mr. Body]

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Alright, I'm done here. This thread has been absolutely hilarious. You guys getting all het up when somebody suggests there are problems with your pet buddy JR Smith. It's almost like you're terrified he's not this paragon of brilliant Spurs basketball and someone would question how a player like this could possibly work in a firmly entrenched system where each player is responsible for team goals, team tasks, and will get yelled at - from top to bottom, even Duncan. You think Smith will let himself get yelled at and thrive under that environment?

Mmmkay.

Not any moreso than Jack.

Diop and Pietus?

http://mconnick.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/office-space-cc01.jpg

Mmmmkay, I'm going to need you to come in next weekend.

T Park
06-09-2008, 12:26 AM

Yeah that not signing anyone will really put the Spurs over the top.

I like Finley, but even I admitted that they needed someone else.

Who the hell is gonna be the starting SG after mr "Why would Holt accept the buyout" is done?

T Park
06-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Desagana Diop, is gonna solve the offensive lulls the team suffered in the playoffs?

Genius posts Body as always.

mikekim
06-09-2008, 04:40 AM
The only problem I have with Smith is his knack for finding ways to get into George Karl's doghouse.

Because I'm sure it's much, MUCH easier to get into Pop's doghouse...

Yes, he can score, but is he smart enough (both on and off the court)?? Even if he behaves fairly well, I'm not sure if he's smart enough to learn and stick with the Spurs system.

Maybe I'm not giving the guy enough credit, but every time I've seen him play, I see a guy who can shoot lights out at times, get to the basket, and show some great athleticism...but I have doubts whether he is smart enough to know when to use each of that within our offense. And I'm not even talking about the discipline required for our defense (something he definitely did not cultivate in Denver)

Just so many question marks with Smith. After seeing my share of Nugget games (I had him on my fantasy team this past year), I'm afraid that some of those question marks are probably legitimate doubts.

That's why Azubuike has the slight edge on him for me. 'Buike just seems like a surer thing...he just seems like he'll FIT better, not that he's necessarily better than Smith.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Why would anyone argue with Mr. Body? He's a fucking retard and thats been proven many times over. Just ignore him.

exstatic
06-09-2008, 07:34 AM

Mmmkay.

You need a reading comprehension course. I didn't see one pro-Smith poster who failed to use a term like knucklehead, immature, etc. He is a dunderhead. He is also one of the most talented FAs this summer,BAR NONE, and because of said dunderheadedness, he is available for our price tag. A mistake with an MLE signing is also relatively easily remedied, so what it comes down to is we see his talent and yes, and the ripe old age of 22, his potential and think he's worth a shot, and you don't. That's it, in a nutshell.

I thnk you have to take your shot and dare to be great. Diop, Siskauskas, Pargo? Those are status quo hires.

kobyz
06-09-2008, 07:52 AM
the problem with JR Smith - you can't trust on him, he can take bad shots from nowhere and ruin your ofense. on defense you can't trust on him also!!

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Hey if JR Smith is hired for the MLE and takes us to the promised land, I'll buy everybody a puppy, okay? You guys can play with your puppies and braid each other's hair and sob that such a glorious day almost never happened. Meanwhile... I won't bother pricing puppies.

Windbush
06-09-2008, 09:11 AM
One thing I noticed was Bowen played D mostly against guards while FinleyManuBarry guarded the three. It may be better served to go for the 'long three' we've been talking about and keep Bowen at 'guard'. Even a few years out when Bowen retires, the three is more practical because Manu will still be at the two. Next year, I wouldn't be surprised if Barry is starting at the two and Thomas at Center.

ducks
06-09-2008, 09:56 AM
the problem with JR Smith - you can't trust on him, he can take bad shots from nowhere and ruin your ofense. on defense you can't trust on him also!!

manu takes bad shots

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 10:10 AM
manu takes bad shots

Let's take the worst thing about one of our best players and move it to the top of our wish list.

Big P
06-09-2008, 10:11 AM
manu takes bad shots

There's a slight difference between Manu & JR Smith.

Ocotillo
06-09-2008, 11:03 AM
F*ck a puppy! I want a pony..........and J.R. Smith.

ducks
06-09-2008, 12:33 PM
There's a slight difference between Manu & JR Smith.

manu and jr smith have balls to take them
smith makes alot of his shots

other posters in this thread talk about manu taking bad shots

Indazone
06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
manu and jr smith have balls to take them
smith makes alot of his shots

other posters in this thread talk about manu taking bad shots

At least this is Nuggets JR Smith and not Nugget grabbing Reggie Evans :lol

LakerLanny
06-09-2008, 01:27 PM
JR Smith is a knucklehead, but he has a lot of talent.

It would be incumbent on Popovich to break him like you do a young horse, because right now he is wild and unrideable.

But he has athletic ability and doesn't shy away from taking big shots. He just doesn't know that taking shots from 5 feet beyond the 3 pt line isn't necessarily the best look you can get.

My guess is Pop would kill him.

spursfan98
06-09-2008, 01:29 PM
JR would be great

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 01:44 PM
JR Smith is a knucklehead, but he has a lot of talent.

It would be incumbent on Popovich to break him like you do a young horse, because right now he is wild and unrideable.

But he has athletic ability and doesn't shy away from taking big shots. He just doesn't know that taking shots from 5 feet beyond the 3 pt line isn't necessarily the best look you can get.

My guess is Pop would kill him.

My God, the first sensible thing you've ever said.

rAm
06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
J.R. Smith is a complete polar opposite of what our organization looks for in it's players. This would just never work out.

MoSpur
06-09-2008, 02:46 PM
He's gonna cost to get him over here.

dastrey
06-09-2008, 02:50 PM
J.R. Smith is a complete polar opposite of what our organization looks for in it's players. This would just never work out.

So is that why Brent Barry was nearly traded for him a couple seasons ago?

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 02:52 PM
So is that why Brent Barry was nearly traded for him a couple seasons ago?

The trade wasn't for JR Smith at the MLE, it was an extremely cheap chance for a young guy.

The trade was to get rid of Barry's salary, anway, back when he was timid and sucked for the Spurs and they wanted rid of his extra salary year. So.. no.

jack sommerset
06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Spews would love to have this guy. Problem is he will go to the highest bidder. Teams that want him will have to pay more than they want for a longer period of time. Spews don't make decsions like that.

Bartleby
06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Smith shot 46% and 40% from the field/three point range this year. His shot selection is a bit questionable at times, but it's not like he's throwing up bricks. If he could learn to play within the Spurs system I could see him quickly becoming the third or fourth scorer. Is he worth the MLE? Probably so, but I doubt the Spurs will throw enough money at him to bring him to SA.

dastrey
06-09-2008, 03:09 PM
The trade wasn't for JR Smith at the MLE, it was an extremely cheap chance for a young guy.

The trade was to get rid of Barry's salary, anway, back when he was timid and sucked for the Spurs and they wanted rid of his extra salary year. So.. no.

Obviously the Spurs saw something in him. If the J.R. Smith trade was with any other team the Nuggets would have done it, but since it was with the Spurs they thought twice about his value. It turned out to be a smart move to keep him. It's funny how people label him a chucker/knucklehead and don't see his potential. When your coach is George Karl you aren't going to be the most disciplined player. He is still very young and has time to mature. Stephen Jackson was a chucker/turn-over machine and helped us win a championship. J.R. Smith has all the tools to be a better player than SJAX. He can knock down the open jumper. He is an incredible slasher with great dribbling skills, as well as explosiveness to finish at the rim. He is also capable of playing big minutes during the regular season to rest Manu.

Spurminator
06-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Obviously the Spurs saw something in him. If the J.R. Smith trade was with any other team the Nuggets would have done it, but since it was with the Spurs they thought twice about his value. It turned out to be a smart move to keep him.

JR Smith was a Hornet at the time.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Obviously the Spurs saw something in him.

First, the trade was with New Orleans, not Denver. Then New Orleans gave him to Chicago as part of the trade for Tyson Chandler, who then gave him to Denver just for a second round pick.

Next, the trade was to get rid of Barry's contract. Smith was then what he is now: a perpetually intriguing kid who you might think could piece everything together at some point. But don't fool yourself, the trade was to shed salary. And it was certainly, my no means, for Smith at the MLE, which is what people are proposing paying him.

The Jackson comparisons are faulty because the Spurs weren't paying Jax the full MLE. The Spurs wouldn't even give him that money even when he was already proving more valuable than Smith is.

hater
06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
this thread reminds me of the thread to sign Artest. = not gonna happen

The Truth #6
06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
The Spurs need someone who can not only get his own shot at will, but is actually willing to do so. That's what JR Smith does and that's what we need. Those kind of players usually don't know much about team basketball. We can't have it both ways.

Of course he's not "Spurs basketball", but right now "Spurs basketball" means being old, slow, unable to play defense, and can't get a shot off. That's not working for us right now.

We have to take a chance.

Everyone is saying how JR could be our fourth scorer. If he came here and played as aggressively as he did in the Lakers series he could be our #1 scorer and give our Big 3 a needed rest. He doesn't just jack up 3s. This season he began taking it to the basket much more.

He's a one dimensional player but it's an important dimension our team needs.

In the playoffs he shot 53.5%FG.

picnroll
06-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Mr Body rather than giving me a puppy if the Spurs sign Smith is there any chance you'd shoot yourself instead?

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Mr Body rather than giving me a puppy if the Spurs sign Smith is there any chance you'd shoot yourself instead?

No.

Problem is, I haven't stated my expected gains from being, naturally, right about this. What to do with 20-25 puppies, not to mention bawling Spurstalk posters? What a mess.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Having JR Smith on the roster would be like SJax reincarnate. A wild child...a loose cannon...a rebel...SIGN HIM UP!!

But only if we can resign HITA to counsel and coach him as well.

picnroll
06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
No.

Too bad.

Ocotillo
06-09-2008, 04:08 PM
But only if we can resign HITA to counsel and coach him as well.

How about our new assistant coach, Robert Horry?

Spurs Brazil
06-09-2008, 04:21 PM
this guy is my 1st option

Give him the full MLE for 4 or 5 years and start him at SG

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 04:37 PM
For all the outright hatred, Body does make a solid point about this kid....

There hasn't really been legitimate interest in him since the almost-trade and that can be looked at more as a salary dump than anything else.

I haven't seen anything that suggests the Spurs are interested in targeting Smith and risking a multi-year MLE type deal.

I think he's arguably the best talent available for the money, but I'm not sure the Spurs are even going to entertain him as a possibility.

Ocotillo
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
^^ That would not be suprising. As fans there are all sorts of players out there over the years we have convinced ourselves the front office was going to go after them only for the Spurs to show zero interest. That could be the case here.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
For all the outright hatred, Body does make a solid point about this kid....

There hasn't really been legitimate interest in him since the almost-trade and that can be looked at more as a salary dump than anything else.

I haven't seen anything that suggests the Spurs are interested in targeting Smith and risking a multi-year MLE type deal.

I think he's arguably the best talent available for the money, but I'm not sure the Spurs are even going to entertain him as a possibility.

CIA Pop.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 05:56 PM

No one wanted Stephen Jackson when we signed him either.

Bob Lanier
06-09-2008, 06:03 PM
The more things change...

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 06:18 PM
No one wanted Stephen Jackson when we signed him either.

Define "no one", because I was talking about the front office....not Spurstalk posters.

I'd be stoked to have JR Smith, but I'm just not sure the Spurs FO feels the same way.

exstatic
06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Define "no one", because I was talking about the front office....not Spurstalk posters.

I'd be stoked to have JR Smith, but I'm just not sure the Spurs FO feels the same way.

I'd have thought the same thing if they weren't showing strong interest in Brumbaugh as a draft pick. He's done actual prison time.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Pop took time during the regular season to recruit a pothead. Perspective.

Spur-Addict
06-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Pop took time during the regular season to recruit a pothead. Perspective.

:lmao...true story, Damon definetly spends his down time investing in hydroponics.

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
And the thread lives on, lol. But, at this point I guess this is what the offseason is all about....speculation.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 07:57 PM
croP34QKmK4

exstatic
06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
And the thread lives on, lol. But, at this point I guess this is what the offseason is all about....speculation.

Mr. Smith appears to be a perfect storm of being one of the most coveted AND most despised FAs available.

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Mr. Smith appears to be a perfect storm of being one of the most coveted AND most despised FAs available.

Now THAT is a statement we can both agree on...a very polarizing figure indeed.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Man F* him.....he's so damn good!

I'm so confused right now...:dizzy

ECZ
06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
nice, but its not going to happen :(

curtismedellin
06-10-2008, 04:04 AM
This is a high risk, high reward proposition. The guy has everything except common sense and maturity. He's got handle, a sweet jumper, and an outrageous vertical. This is the only FA in our reach this summer that has All NBA potential. He could also be flipping burgers in 5 years.

...common sense and maturity, that's scary. It took Barry almost a year and a half to adjust to Pops system. I would love to see this work but geez.....

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-10-2008, 04:34 AM
I hope the Nuggets shop AI and hand the starting SG job to JR. JR is too good to be coming off the bench.

Guy could easily be a 20+ppg player....... he was averaging 17ppg before he had a brain fart and got suspended in the brawl.

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I hope the Nuggets shop AI and hand the starting SG job to JR. JR is too good to be coming off the bench.

Guy could easily be a 20+ppg player....... he was averaging 17ppg before he had a brain fart and got suspended in the brawl.

Good luck with that. You'd likely have to take on a terrible contract to even begin with moving AI.

LakerLanny
06-10-2008, 11:49 AM
My God, the first sensible thing you've ever said.

I must have been sober for that post! :toast

hater
06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't see whats so great about that play. if he had dunked on the other hand...

curtismedellin
06-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't see whats so great about that play. if he had dunked on the other hand...

Shit. Not great granted, but a damn good play nonetheless.

angelbelow
06-10-2008, 02:36 PM
mark bryand brought up a great point, sign him to the full MLE, he doesnt work out then we have a valuable trading asset. i say we go ahead with that plan.

The Truth #6
06-10-2008, 02:54 PM
If he fails miserably, how is that a good trading asset? Are you saying because he would still be young and have potential?

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
If he fails miserably, how is that a good trading asset? Are you saying because he would still be young and have potential?

Stop making sense. The Spurs already tossed away an asset they could have traded if it didn't work out, that Scola guy.

ducks
06-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Stop making sense. The Spurs already tossed away an asset they could have traded if it didn't work out, that Scola guy.
did houston get past the first round with the great scola

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 04:40 PM
did houston get past the first round with the great scola

Wow, you didn't get very far with that one: what team did Smith play for?

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Once again, this thread delivers!

yavozerb
06-10-2008, 05:22 PM
This guy is about as anti-spur as you can get...Forget about this one, move on.

Avitus1
06-10-2008, 05:24 PM
If we could get this guy we could get a set of young legs and slowly improve on his already decent game.

picnroll
06-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Once again, this thread delivers!

Probably becsause you make half the posts when you said about four pages ago you were done with it. Is this your calling in life?

rAm
06-10-2008, 05:30 PM
If we could get this guy we could get a set of young legs and slowly improve on his already decent game.

I would want J.R. if he could check his ego at the door, and listen to everything Pop/Duncan and all the vets say. However, I highly doubt this would happen.

Even if he did change the way he acts and plays, would he still be as good? I think part of his game is the fact that he jacks up so many shots and doesn't think about it. If he starts questioning his shot selection due to pop getting on his ass every time he takes a retarded shot would he still have his explosiveness and fire?

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Probably becsause you make half the posts when you said about four pages ago you were done with it. Is this your calling in life?

I love you so much!

exstatic
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM

You can fail in our system and still have value in the league. No one doubts this kid can score, but can he fit in our system? If he doesn't, he can still score, and there are at least 20 teams that don't care about contending and would want him.

Marcus Bryant
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Jack was a bonehead player with a bad rep bestowed upon him by none the less than multiple NBA champion Byron Scott when he landed in SA.

The Spurs aren't a bunch of choir boys. Pop recruited a friggin' pothead in the middle of the season. DerMarr Johnson had his own tragic auto accident. Kurt Thomas beat his wife once. Matt Bonner once toilet papered his HS coach's house.

Get over it already.

exstatic
06-10-2008, 06:23 PM
This guy is about as anti-spur as you can get...Forget about this one, move on.

Funny, PJ once use that EXACT PHRASE, the anti-spur, when talking about Stephen Jackson during his time here.

rAm
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Jack was a bonehead player with a bad rep bestowed upon him by none the less than multiple NBA champion Byron Scott when he landed in SA.

The Spurs aren't a bunch of choir boys. Pop recruited a friggin' pothead in the middle of the season. DerMarr Johnson had his own tragic auto accident. Kurt Thomas beat his wife once. Matt Bonner once toilet papered his HS coach's house.

Get over it already.

I think it's more his style of play than it is his character. He just seems like a punk to me, I can't remember a specific incident about him.

Marcus Bryant
06-10-2008, 06:38 PM
I think it's more his style of play than it is his character. He just seems like a punk to me, I can't remember a specific incident about him.

ROFL. Pop went after Kobe Bryant in free agency. Pop told DRob he was done and was ready to run him out in favor of Chris Webber.

The Spurs are loyal to one thing and that's the ring.

rAm
06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
ROFL. Pop went after Kobe Bryant in free agency. Pop told DRob he was done and was ready to run him out in favor of Chris Webber.

The Spurs are loyal to one thing and that's the ring.

I think Pop's style has matured since then. That being said, anyone that wouldn't go after Kobe as a FA is retarded. Comparing JR to Kobe here makes no sense.

Marcus Bryant
06-10-2008, 06:54 PM
How so?

rAm
06-10-2008, 07:00 PM
How so?

How so to what? I'm leaving work, ill post when I get home.

Bartleby
06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Comparing JR to Kobe here makes no sense.

He's not Kobe, but keep in mind how young he still is. From what I've seen so far, he looks like he could turn out to be a VERY explosive scorer in the right environment, particularly given how the game has changed to favor players like him.