06-08-2008, 09:08 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_kelenna_azubuike.jpg

Kelenna Azubuike | SG
Born: Dec 16, 1983
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99,8 kg.
College: Kentucky
Years Pro: 1

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kelenna_azubuike/index.html)

Bit of a long shot, but maybe Golden State doesn't want to commit long-term.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
He would definitely help to decrease the scoring droughts that occur *when Manu is the primary scoring option with Tim and Tony both on the bench. He has a ton of upside, but for this very reason I don't think GS lets him go...Barnes on the other hand....

*EDIT: When Manu is the ONLY legit scoring option and ALL of the offense is being funnelled through him with TD and TP both on the bench.

angelbelow
06-08-2008, 09:25 PM
agreeed on the ton of upside, i think hes a great long term project and im not convinced hes ready to contribute.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I was actually impressed by his range in the few games I saw of Golden State's this past season. He's got a tamed "shoot first" mentality and seems to be pretty coachable.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 09:28 PM
A solid choice. He's not likely to hurt your team in any way, nor will he light the world on fire. Good shooter, great rebounder for size.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 09:29 PM
agreeed on the ton of upside, i think hes a great long term project and im not convinced hes ready to contribute.

I actually disagree with both of those assessments. I think he's a solid NBA player now, and NOT a project, but I think he's near or at his ceiling now. WYSIWYG.

angelbelow
06-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I actually disagree with both of those assessments. I think he's a solid NBA player now, and NOT a project, but I think he's near or at his ceiling now. WYSIWYG.

thats fair, i havent seen him enough to provide a accurate analysis.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 09:50 PM
He can play better defense (and who can't on Golden State) but he would do a good job slashing, drawing fouls, and helping relieve Manu of his scoring duties (i.e. reducing scoring droughts). I think Pop could make him a more consistent defender if he were to stay on top of him like he did Tony early in TP's career. This might still be wishful thinking though, as I doubt the Warriors relinquish hold of him.

tmtcsc
06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
He's athletic for sure but I'm not sold on his scoring ability.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Any concern with his (lack of) height? I heard he's about 6' 3 1/2".

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 09:59 PM
His jumpshot is likely to only get better, and he actually has a mid-range game which is something this team lacks outside of Tony and Manu. 10-15 points should help spell Manu and TP and hold off the dreaded Scring Drought the Spurs often run into when that point range is all they need to stay afloat until guys' jumpers start falling again.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I don't think they're in cap/tax hell like Denver is. He'd be tough to pry away from them.

timvp
06-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I actually disagree with both of those assessments. I think he's a solid NBA player now, and NOT a project, but I think he's near or at his ceiling now. WYSIWYG.Agreed.

He's a guy that if you give him 30 minutes a game, he'll give you 12 points and 5 boards while shooting about 45% from the field. He's not a great isolation scorer but he'd be someone who'd get out and run and hit the open jumpers. He'd be a fantastic Michael Finley replacement.

The problem is getting him out of Golden State. They have cap trouble but they'll likely be able to keep one of Azubuike, Barnes and Petrius. Nellie clashed with Barnes last year so Barnes is out. The Warriors have avoided giving Petrius a contract for a long time so I'm guessing they will finally let him walk this summer. That leaves Azubuike as the one they'll retain.

I think the way to get him out would be to give him a three-year contract with a third year team option (~ 3-year, $17.8M). Front load that contract so the Warriors have to pay him mostly upfront. With all the other contracts the Warriors have to hand out this summer, they may let Azubuike walk.

It's a little risky because that'd be every penny of the MLE and the Warriors could draw it out and make the Spurs lose out on fallback options -- not to mention that's a lot of money to be throwing at a relatively unproven player -- but I'd be all for this type of tactic this summer. All the Spurs need is one solid perimeter athlete and they're right back in the mix of things.

Bob Lanier
06-08-2008, 10:13 PM
That's a lot more than he's worth, but it might be necessary.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
I don't see GSW letting him go. If the Spurs throw all the money they can at him, maybe, but it'd be surprising to see the Spurs do that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2008, 10:31 PM
1st target: JR
2nd target: Kelenna

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
1st target: JR
2nd target: Kelenna

:tu

Spurtacus
06-08-2008, 10:35 PM
If Golden State resigns Baron Davis, they might not have enough for KA. Then we can swoop in. :)

SenorSpur
06-08-2008, 11:30 PM

Which is why I'd rather have Pietrus.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2008, 11:34 PM
If Golden State resigns Baron Davis, they might not have enough for KA. Then we can swoop in. :)

Baron's not a free agent, unless he exercises his player option, which would be about the dumbest thing he could do (he's owed $17.2 million for 2008-2009).

Long discussion on him already here:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97768

And here's my breakdown of GS's salary situation from that thread:

Unless I missed something Harrington's on the books for two more years, he's got $9.3 million due to him this coming season.

And I forgot that Baron's got a player option for $17.3 million, with his knee problems I don't see him opting out and taking a chance. Also, I think it's one more season for Foyle before the team has the option on him.

So guaranteed money you've got:

Davis $17.3 million
Foyle $9.8 million
Harrington $9.2 million
Jackson $7.2 million
Wright $2.5 million
Belinelli $1.5 million
Draft pick $1.4 million
----------------------
$49 million

And that's without even talking to Biedrins and Ellis.

We all know they want to keep Ellis, and he'll probably be a $10 million dollar guy, so they're already up against the salary cap. Then they have Bird Rights for any of Biedrins, Pietrus, Barnes that they want to re-sign, but Biedrins ain't coming cheap either.

I actually see them signing Ellis, Biedrins, one of Barnes, Pietrus, Kelenna, and then filling out the rest of the roster with minimum deals.

Of course there could be trades here and there, but you can't go crystal ball on those and have to evaluate the GS salary situation on its surface. Damn, this is actually looking better for us than I thought (assuming the Spurs front office has their eyes on the same young two guard from GS that could come and start day 1 for us and give us as many minutes a night as we need from him that I do).

ace3g
06-08-2008, 11:47 PM

exactly I only want the Spurs signing players 6'6 and above (PG only exception)

I know size doesn't mean everything in the NBA but the Spurs need tall , long players that can rebound and score

El_Mago
06-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I rather have CJ Miles.

He is younger and could come a lot cheaper.

I know Miles is not a very exciting "name," but he has improved quite a bit throughout his years in Utah.

He came fresh out of higschool, and the kid can flat out shoot.

Plus, he has improved his defense, and comes from a "tough" team, and an even "tougher" coach who preaches defense.

tav1
06-08-2008, 11:54 PM
If the Spurs draft a wing that can contribute quickly, I'd rather they split the MLE. But if not, Buike is a good fit.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 12:08 AM
exactly I only want the Spurs signing players 6'6 and above (PG only exception)

I know size doesn't mean everything in the NBA but the Spurs need tall , long players that can rebound and score

Cuz' 6'6"+ shooting guards who can rebound and score that will sign for the MLE grow on trees...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 12:08 AM
I rather have CJ Miles.

He is younger and could come a lot cheaper.

I know Miles is not a very exciting "name," but he has improved quite a bit throughout his years in Utah.

He came fresh out of higschool, and the kid can flat out shoot.

Plus, he has improved his defense, and comes from a "tough" team, and an even "tougher" coach who preaches defense.

CJ Miles sucks. Let me guess, you're a longhorn fan....

El_Mago
06-09-2008, 12:21 AM
No.

Not a long horn fan.

But, I am not going to bust a nut over a guy who Golden State has already stated will make a priority.

Plus, we all know the Spurs don't make big splashes in the off season, nor do they just throw money around.

3 years with a team option for 17-18 million is a stretch.

Apparently last year the Spurs were offering Udoka a 12 million dollar deal. The dude comes in and signs for 2 years, 1 million each.

Same thing with Elson and Butler. Both came in under 2 year deals at 3 million each.

You guys can wish the Spurs are going to pry away a JR Smith or Kelenna, and it may well happen, but signs mostly point to NO.

Logic tells us the Spurs are going to go for a young wing on the cheap or draft, and make a splash down the road in 2010.

The Spurs hardly ever spend full MLE on players, and I don't that is going to occur for a JR Smith or Bukie.

intlspurshk
06-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Not for full MLE. I would sign a PF / C first if kelena is one of the option.

T Park
06-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Option 1 go after JR smith with the full MLE.

If he doesn't work out, go after this guy.

Indazone
06-09-2008, 02:19 AM

You can't go wrong with JR Smith. Nuthugger that he is. He's still one of the highest efficiency players available. His PER is off the charts.

Dingle Barry
06-09-2008, 02:28 AM
I'm not sure that being a UT fan or not has any bearing on realizing that CJ miles is an omnibust. Even if he weren't, this team is no place for him.

Just wanted to chime in with that. Oh and we need to get Barnes because GSW will match for Azi

mikekim
06-09-2008, 04:20 AM
I know he doesn't quite have the length...

but this guy has "2003 Stephen Jackson" written all over him, in my mind...just a feeling

J.R. Smith is looked at as "S-Jax 2.0," but I think it's this guy. Smith is probably better than the 2003 Jackson, and is really a different type of player. I think Azubuike can be the new S-Jax, but with a better, more stable attitude/coachability.

mikekim
06-09-2008, 04:48 AM
And a lot of my regrets with Jackson has to do with the player he has become and showed potential for becoming when he was with the Spurs.

I remember being so pissed at him for not being able to dribble with his left hand (his ball-handling was just kinda bad...)

So Azubuike is probably several steps ahead of '03 Jack actually. He's more comparable to current S-Jax (I mean, he did fill in for him pretty admirably this past season.) Throw in the better attitude and level head, and he looks like our top off-season priority.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Not sure why people are so hot on Azubuike when the Spurs will clearly have to overpay for him...and it just so happens there are two other Warriors players that are just as good if not better and are unrestricted, meaning they're likely to cost less.

For me, as far as Warriors go...

1. Pietrus
2. Barnes
3. Azubuike

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Not sure why people are so hot on Azubuike when the Spurs will clearly have to overpay for him...and it just so happens there are two other Warriors players that are just as good if not better and are unrestricted, meaning they're likely to cost less.

1. Pietrus
2. Barnes
3. Azubuike

Because neither Petrus or Barnes play the 2.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm not sure that being a UT fan or not has any bearing on realizing that CJ miles is an omnibust. Even if he weren't, this team is no place for him.

Just wanted to chime in with that. Oh and we need to get Barnes because GSW will match for Azi

I was just asking because I have a longhorn buddy who argues that the Spurs should sign C.J. this summer because 'he was going to go to school in Austin and he would have been a star.'

:lol

TDMVPDPOY
06-09-2008, 08:41 AM
it seems like 1-2 players will not be back at gsw...baron davis looks like he wont be resign...

ss1986v2
06-09-2008, 09:20 AM
it seems like 1-2 players will not be back at gsw...baron davis looks like he wont be resign...
hes still under contract for next year unless he exercises his ETO. and he wont be leaving 17.8 mil on the table when there are only two or so teams with any significant cap space. he will play out his last year, and then look for his extension or look elsewhere.

eisfeld
06-09-2008, 11:06 AM

Signed!

xtremesteven33
06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Kelenna Azubuike=Devin Brown

JR Smith=Stephen Jackson

tav1
06-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Buike doesn't see like more than a 3.5 a year guy. That's a good price. The question is whether the Warriors want to keep him or not in light of Ellis. I'm not sure that they do.

TDMVPDPOY
06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
the question is, how many years are we going to offer them? 2-3 year stints? so it doesnt affect the 10/11 plan?

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2008, 12:07 PM

1. Pietrus
2. Barnes
3. Azubuike

I live in Oakland and watch quite a bit of Warrior ball; the only other team I root for in the NBA...Spurs always come first though...:flag:

I would rank them:

1. Barnes
2. Azubuike
3. Pietrus

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Ugh. Baron is not a free agent. He has a player option to become a FA and forfeit the $17+ million he is owed this next year, and with his knee problems he'd be a fool to exercise it.

spursfan98
06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Sign him up if jr smith doesnt work out

loveforthegame
06-09-2008, 02:02 PM

Not at all. He has a nose for the ball and works hard for everything. He grabs rebounds you wouldn't think he'd have a chance at but does it anyway.

He's my top free agent pick though I'd hate to see him leave the Warriors.

Indazone
06-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Barnes sucks.

angelbelow
06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Kelenna Azubuike=Devin Brown

i really agree with this..

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 05:34 PM
i really agree with this..

Yeah, except for career numbers and Kelenna improving throughout the year, they're exactly alike...

dastrey
06-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I see Azubuike as a poor mans Joe Johnson. He would be a solid addition.

genomefreak13
06-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Nope. He's too raw to be a starter for the spurs. The spurs need a starting guard that can make his own shot.

Manu will surely be back to the bench - to reserve him for the playoffs. Manu was forced to take up some starting role because of injuries to TP this season. That's what caused the injury that eventually caused the exit of the spurs.

Next year, we need a durable starting SG that can play long minutes to allow Manu rest during the regular season.

picnroll
06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Seem like Ellis is a target of the Grizz. If the Grizz get him that about wipes out any chance of getting Azubuike. On the other hand if The Warriors havve to pay up to keep Ellis Azubuike is a goner for them.

Article from The Examiner
It is no secret that the Grizzlies will have a boatload of cash this offseason, and they just happen to play in Memphis, all of three hours from Ellis’ hometown of Jackson, Miss. The Grizzlies are said to be targeting Ellis, who has turned into one of the most explosive backcourt scorers in the league.

If the Grizzlies sign Ellis to an offer sheet that starts in excess of $10 million per year, it is going to put the Warriors smack dab in the middle of no-man’s land.

Common sense dictates Mullin would almost have to match the offer. After all, Ellis is the most dynamic Warriors player since ... well, Arenas. Ellis has improved every year, and if he adds a 3-point shot, there’s no telling how good he can become offensively.

But if Mullin matches that contract, one that will increase in every subsequent season, it probably will have a lasting and negative effect on the Warriors. Then again, the alternative is allowing Ellis to leave for nothing ... which seems unheard of.

The problem, however, with matching a big-time offer for Ellis is that he hasn’t yet proven he is worth that kind of contract. As dynamic as Ellis is, he isn’t a point guard, he doesn’t make teammates better and he has yet to shine in the postseason.

T Park
06-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Good news for the Spurs if they are targeting Azubuike, which I highly doubt.

If the Warriors get in a bidding war with Ellis and have to up their price to keep him, then Buike is available.

Once again, doubt the Spurs are interested in Kelenna.

GaryJohnston
06-11-2008, 07:49 PM
J.R., then Azubuike.

Much ado about nothing though, we are kidding ourselves if we think we are going to land one of these guys. Sadly, I don't see the FO doing much.

picnroll
06-11-2008, 07:55 PM
From the description of Warriors fans who've followed Azubuike for some time he pretty much overlaps skill-wise with Udoka. The guy with the skill set the Spurs need is clearly JR Smith.

Spurs da champs
06-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Why would you rather have this chump then J.R Smith?
I say no.

MannyIsGod
06-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Ugh. Baron is not a free agent. He has a player option to become a FA and forfeit the $17+ million he is owed this next year, and with his knee problems he'd be a fool to exercise it.

This doesn't make sense AHF. If he's worried about his knee problems then of course he ops out and signs a long term deal that nets him far more than 17 million and is guaranteed.

tav1
06-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Apparently Memphis plans to chase Monte Ellis. They won't get him, but they might put Golden State in a position of having to match a large contract offer, killing GS's ability to retain Azubuike. Looks good for us, methinks.

pad300
06-13-2008, 05:15 PM
It's confirmed, Azubuike has opted out and become an FA -
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52974/20080613/azubuike_opts_out_of_his_deal_with_warriors/

T Park
06-13-2008, 05:23 PM
I disagree with his skill set being like Udoka.

I think hes more athletic, and can shoot the ball a little better.

Him going restricted is ok. Lets just hope the Spurs agree with us and go after him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2008, 05:53 PM
This doesn't make sense AHF. If he's worried about his knee problems then of course he ops out and signs a long term deal that nets him far more than 17 million and is guaranteed.

I don't see any teams lining up to give him the big contract, which is in part why I think he won't opt out...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2008, 05:55 PM

Him going restricted is ok. Lets just hope the Spurs agree with us and go after him.

I agree. Having watched him play, he's much more polished when putting the ball on the floor. Way better handles, better mid-range jumper, he can jump out of the gym (how many guys did Ime posterize this year? Kelenna had a couple...).

And he's not a feast or famine guy like Ime is, you are going to get consistency from him in his time on the floor every night.

tav1
06-13-2008, 06:05 PM

What he said. Not Udoka, but their games both fit the Spurs system and would complement one another.

tav1
06-13-2008, 06:12 PM
I agree. Having watched him play, he's much more polished when putting the ball on the floor. Way better handles, better mid-range jumper, he can jump out of the gym (how many guys did Ime posterize this year? Kelenna had a couple...).

And he's not a feast or famine guy like Ime is, you are going to get consistency from him in his time on the floor every night.

And what he said.

Do you guys think that Azubuike will command the full MLE? I can't see that. I'm hopeful we can get him for half the MLE and spend the other half on another player or simply save it for an in-season signing.

As I wrote a few posts above, Memphis is targetting Monte Ellis. Between him, Biedrins and Nellie's supposed commitment to Wright and Belinelli, I think Golden State might let Azubuike walk. Probably not, but there is a chance.

wisnub
06-13-2008, 06:28 PM
[:flag: GO GET HIM RC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Once....please let Spurs have a good player from free agency. Can u guys recall last time we got star/potentially star player from free agency (not draft or trade)? Anyone ???

picnroll
06-13-2008, 07:26 PM

Handles is certainly something that the GS fans, a lot of them, are not giving him credit for, saying his handles are not good at all, and saying he can't create his own shot.

timvp
06-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Azubuike opts out: Guard Kelenna Azubuike has joined Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins in the restricted free-agent market after opting out of his contract. Azubuike, who would have made the league minimum of $797,581 next season, is in line to receive a modest salary bump after averaging 8.5 points and 4 rebounds.

"I think everybody would hope that it would get done early," said Mike Higgins, who represents Azubuike and Watson. "But I don't envy them, because they have a lot on their plate. Just like with any team, they only have a certain amount of dollars to spend, and a lot of guys to sign."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/13/SPD0118DRA.DTL

At first glance this doesn't seem like a major deal. It's unlikely that one of the few teams with cap space is going to blow it on overpaying Azubuike or that some other team is going to use a big chunk of their midlevel exception on him. Even if they do, the Warriors won't be forced to match as Azubuike's a fairly replacable bench player. I predict that the Warriors work out a reasonable deal with Kelenna by the end of the summer. Something along the lines of a 2-3 year contract at about $1-2.5 million a season seems reasonable, but that's just a quick guesstimate.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2008/6/12/551226/kelenna-azubuike-ops-out

That second excerpt is just a blog so take it for what it's worth. Azubuike really may be attainable for an inflated two-year contract. Two-year, $10M? That'd be a nice addition if RC can pull it off.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Handles is certainly something that the GS fans, a lot of them, are not giving him credit for, saying his handles are not good at all, and saying he can't create his own shot.

That's fucked up. When I watched GS early in the season, they were hurting for offense and essentially put the ball in his hands and he had a huge game, like 33-35 points or something like that (it was when Sjax was still suspended).

Kid can play.

T Park
06-14-2008, 12:34 AM
TIMVP, if that blogger is the way the Warriors think, the SPurs could take him away easily with even a 3 quarters of the MLE.

If thats all it could take, I'd get him, and then see what else you could get.

roycrikside
06-14-2008, 02:09 AM
And what he said.

Do you guys think that Azubuike will command the full MLE? I can't see that. I'm hopeful we can get him for half the MLE and spend the other half on another player or simply save it for an in-season signing.

As I wrote a few posts above, Memphis is targetting Monte Ellis. Between him, Biedrins and Nellie's supposed commitment to Wright and Belinelli, I think Golden State might let Azubuike walk. Probably not, but there is a chance.

First off, there is no way the Grizzlies or anyone else will get Monta Ellis. I live in the Bay Area and trust me, it's not going to happen. Chris Mullin has gone on the record, multiple times, that the Warriors will match any and all offers for Ellis and he is not available. He was, by far, the most exciting player on the team and a fan favorite and there would be riots in Oakland if he left, much more so than Davis leaving.

Secondly, I'm not sure exactly how tall Azubuike is (but 6'3" and a half seems short) but he is an excellent rebounder for his size, especially offensively, and I'm 100% certain he would out-rebound Michael Finley. If I'm the Spurs I would offer Kelenna as much as I possibly had to, even the full MLE so the Warriors don't match, and install him as the new starting shooting guard, playing 25 mins a night. He's only going to get better and better.

tav1
06-14-2008, 05:36 AM
First off, there is no way the Grizzlies or anyone else will get Monta Ellis. I live in the Bay Area and trust me, it's not going to happen. Chris Mullin has gone on the record, multiple times, that the Warriors will match any and all offers for Ellis and he is not available. He was, by far, the most exciting player on the team and a fan favorite and there would be riots in Oakland if he left, much more so than Davis leaving.

Secondly, I'm not sure exactly how tall Azubuike is (but 6'3" and a half seems short) but he is an excellent rebounder for his size, especially offensively, and I'm 100% certain he would out-rebound Michael Finley. If I'm the Spurs I would offer Kelenna as much as I possibly had to, even the full MLE so the Warriors don't match, and install him as the new starting shooting guard, playing 25 mins a night. He's only going to get better and better.

Yes, I know there is no way Ellis leaves. But Ellis and Biedrins might such the well dry, and put Golden State in a position of giving up Azubuike.

tav1
06-14-2008, 05:44 AM
That second excerpt is just a blog so take it for what it's worth. Azubuike really may be attainable for an inflated two-year contract. Two-year, $10M? That'd be a nice addition if RC can pull it off.

That's too much money for Azubuike. He's in line for a "modest salary bump"--from under 1 to 2 or 2.5 million. If the Spurs offered 3.5 or 4 million, they'd be out of Golden State's range. I'm not sure about the rest of the league, though, or what other suitors he might have.

The question is could the Spurs sign anyone else for the remaining 2 million? I favor not giving Azubuike a dollar more than we have to and either signing a second wing with the rest or sitting on it until after deadline buyouts.

Guajalote
06-14-2008, 12:24 PM
That's too much money for Azubuike. He's in line for a "modest salary bump"--from under 1 to 2 or 2.5 million. If the Spurs offered 3.5 or 4 million, they'd be out of Golden State's range. I'm not sure about the rest of the league, though, or what other suitors he might have.

The question is could the Spurs sign anyone else for the remaining 2 million? I favor not giving Azubuike a dollar more than we have to and either signing a second wing with the rest or sitting on it until after deadline buyouts.

Good point. If this is the player we go after (assuming not JR), hopefully we won't out-think ourselves on this one and wait too long for an offer. Are there any other teams looking at Azubuike?

tav1
06-14-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm not even sure the Spurs are looking at Azubuike. But I am certain that the Warriors are in a pinch, and they simply can't afford to offer Azubuike much.

Big P
06-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Now he would be worth a "Bonner" type contract...3 years $9 mil...& still have +-$2.5 mil to sign another player....

Adonal Foyle would be a decent backup bigman to use the leftovers on...he basically rebounds & is a very good shotblocker...plus his personality fits the Spurs....all I'm saying is that we could do a lot worse than sign Foyle to a 1 or 2 year deal at $2-2.5 mil per...

Either way, it is going to be very interesting starting with the Draft & moving on in to July...I think there is going to be a lot of movement....IMO a few teams feel like they are "right" there, maybe just a tweak or two here....Hopefully the Spurs will be involved in some of these, where we get younger more athletic at the SG/SF position...

I think Portland is ready to get rid of Jack & we can use the TE from the Beno trade along with a pick..they might bite..I could also see Portland moving down or out of the first round...they have enough youth at all positions..they need vets & capspace..we can provide both(although I'm sure they would just be interested in our cap space), so that leaves the 13th pick possibly open for trades...

In a perfect world we get Jack as our backup PG along with the 13th pick...Jack for the TE & buy the pick for $2-3 mil. along with a 2nd rounder or two.

tav1
06-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Foyle would be signed for the LLE, not part of the MLE.

Portland was trying to use Jack to get Devin Harris last season, they won't trade him for an exception. For the exception we might land Sergio, but even that might need a little sweetener.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-14-2008, 07:00 PM

I've seen the kid play, he's not a chump at all and has more upside than Udoka. Udoka has never thrown it down a la Jason Richardson.
First of all Udoka is OLD. We've seen his ceiling, he'll only get acclimated a la Oberto.

Azubuike's edge over J.R. Smith is his demeanor despite J.R.'s freakish athleticism is I haven 't seen young ego problems that J.R.'s displayed.

T Park
06-14-2008, 07:30 PM
First of all Udoka is OLD. We've seen his ceiling, he'll only get acclimated a la Oberto.

What brought you to that conclusion...

Big P
06-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Foyle would be signed for the LLE, not part of the MLE.

Portland was trying to use Jack to get Devin Harris last season, they won't trade him for an exception. For the exception we might land Sergio, but even that might need a little sweetener.

LLE or the $2.5 mil after using the of the MLE...whats the difference?
For having so much confidence in him they sure have alot of guards.

Jack For Harris? I never heard that one...slight problem is Devin makes over $10 mil per & Jack is making $1.5 +-....maybe thats why it never happened?

turiaf for president
06-16-2008, 12:07 PM
i think he's perfect for the spurs. great perimeter D and an hit the open shots. younger bowen in the making

tav1
06-16-2008, 12:16 PM
LLE or the $2.5 mil after using the of the MLE...whats the difference?
For having so much confidence in him they sure have alot of guards.

Jack For Harris? I never heard that one...slight problem is Devin makes over $10 mil per & Jack is making $1.5 +-....maybe thats why it never happened?

Well, you must live under a rock because it was openly discussed ad naseum for a week last February. Jack was part of a three way discussion that included other contracts, so that accounts for the difference in the contracts.

And, yes, they do have a lot of guards. See if you can't follow the plot: Portland wants to free up roster spots. In order to do that, they want to trade 2 or 3 decent players for a very good player. Jack, in theory, would be part of a package that would land one such player.

If they can't do this, they might trade two or three guys in seperate deals to free up the space. That is plan B, though.

In general, you should try not to be such a jack ass.

tav1
06-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Someone humor me, and understand that after Artest, which won't happen, I favor Azubuike as our free agent choice.

Azubuike averaged 8 pts and shot 37% from beyond the arc last season. He made $700,000. Why do we think the Spurs will offer him the MLE? That seems like an unjustifiable pay increase, especially given what they paid Udoka, who is no worse a player. The Spurs won't overpay for anyone. It's a matter of principle.

I ask because, given the roster crunch, it seems unlikely that the Spurs will split the MLE, or that there is a combination that makes sense as a split.

If that's the case, I think the Spurs either plan to offer Azubuike something like 2.5 or 3 and leave the rest of the MLE unspent, or they will offer the full MLE to someone deserving of the full MLE.

Assume the latter: Artest won't be available, Maggette is out of the price range, Jones is a spot up player, Delfino is a shoddy option and would require overpaying to compete with Europe, the Nuggets look poised to match on JR Smith, and the Lakers will match Vujacic offers. Who does that leave? Tony Allen? Maybe, but even more so than Azubuike, one couldn't justify a 6 million dollar expenditure on him. Ariza? Ditto.

Siskauskas? Hmm. I wonder if those rumors were more substantial than we gave them credit.

What do you think?

TheProfessor
06-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Siskauskas? Hmm. I wonder if those rumors were more substantial than we gave them credit.

What do you think?
Spurstalk favorite Kill Bill seems to think the Spurs and Rockets (who reportedly both had interest) won't be able to match European offers with the MLE. But I think there's a chance he could be talked into it. This will probably be his last chance to come over, and he fills a glaring need in San Antonio.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Spurstalk favorite Kill Bill seems to think the Spurs and Rockets (who reportedly both had interest) won't be able to match European offers with the MLE. But I think there's a chance he could be talked into it. This will probably be his last chance to come over, and he fills a glaring need in San Antonio.

He is Spurs type player and Popovich type player. In US fans do not understand his value. Only issue for Siska is he very much play game at Euroleague speed. This is big issue for NBA.

But thing with Siska is very high IQ for game, very great shooter, very great shooting range and also he is very good passer and very talent one on one player with many different move and way to beat defender.

It just he play game at Euroleague speed. He definite Spurs type player but also must have year or two to adjust to NBA speed. Could maybe be helpful player by playoff similar to how Scola do in Rockets.

tav1
06-28-2008, 04:33 PM
He is Spurs type player and Popovich type player. In US fans do not understand his value. Only issue for Siska is he very much play game at Euroleague speed. This is big issue for NBA.

But thing with Siska is very high IQ for game, very great shooter, very great shooting range and also he is very good passer and very talent one on one player with many different move and way to beat defender.

It just he play game at Euroleague speed. He definite Spurs type player but also must have year or two to adjust to NBA speed. Could maybe be helpful player by playoff similar to how Scola do in Rockets.

What's his current contract? What are Euro teams offering him? Other than the Lithuanian report, anything more recent about where he intends to sign?

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-28-2008, 04:40 PM
What's his current contract? What are Euro teams offering him? Other than the Lithuanian report, anything more recent about where he intends to sign?

He is with CSKA and he have say since that he is interest in NBA for 3 year contract. He have offers from Spurs and Rockets but both is able only give MLE for 3 years and this what they offer. This as he say is big pay cut for him and he not feel do this plus move to other side of world fair to family. So he would want same money as Europe.

He had €2.5 million from CSKA for year plus €1 million euro from PAO contract with CSKA must also pay as buyout from PAO. These is both net money.

€3.5 million is like $5.5 million of dollars. So he is make like $5.5 million of dollars after tax. NBA MLE is similar amount but is gross before tax. So for him be almost like half as much money as he make now if he accept MLE.

Same problem as Papaloukas. He gets what is like 3 years $20 millions for NBA contract from Olympiacos. Pistons and Raptors tell him he can have MLE this summer but is all they can pays so he take more big contract and go back to Greece.

tav1
06-28-2008, 04:51 PM
He is with CSKA and he have say since that he is interest in NBA for 3 year contract. He have offers from Spurs and Rockets but both is able only give MLE for 3 years and this what they offer. This as he say is big pay cut for him and he not feel do this plus move to other side of world fair to family. So he would want same money as Europe.

He had €2.5 million from CSKA for year plus €1 million euro from PAO contract with CSKA must also pay as buyout from PAO. These is both net money.

€3.5 million is like $5.5 million of dollars. So he is make like $5.5 million of dollars after tax. NBA MLE is similar amount but is gross before tax. So for him be almost like half as much money as he make now if he accept MLE.

Same problem as Papaloukas. He gets what is like 3 years $20 millions for NBA contract from Olympiacos. Pistons and Raptors tell him he can have MLE this summer but is all they can pays so he take more big contract and go back to Greece.

So he's not an option. Maybe Pop and Manu could call him and say pretty please.

tav1
07-01-2008, 04:22 PM
I've not seen Azubuike's name attached to any team interest, Spurs or otherwise. With Baron Davis opting out, and reports that the Warriors offered a big deal to Arenas, it's very possible that we have no competition for Azubuike. That is, in addition to deals for Ellis and Biedrins, the Warriors will probably have to sign B-Diddy for more than he's worth. They're out of money.

Azubuike could be had for cheap. Any idea why the Spurs don't have any reported interest? They just layin' low, or are they sour on him?

SPURSGOAT
07-01-2008, 04:51 PM
maybe they do have interest... we just have not read anything yet...it is only the first day... will see how much things heat up over the next couple of days...

tav1
07-01-2008, 04:52 PM
maybe they do have interest... we just have not read anything yet...it is only the first day... will see how much things heat up over the next couple of days...

Yeah, they might. But my point is that I've not read of one team that is targeting Azubuike.

TJastal
07-01-2008, 05:29 PM
What exactly is this guy gonna offer the spurs that Udoka doesn't already provide.. unless you think Udoka is a career backup, then.. perhaps. But if were agreed were looking for good bench players... then..

I'd much rather see the Spurs obtain a skill-set along the lines of Michael Pietrus, who has more size, length, leaping ability and a "take it to the rack mentality" not to mention block shots, something the team could use more right now.

T Park
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
What exactly is this guy gonna offer the spurs that Udoka doesn't already provide.. unless you think Udoka is a career backup, then.. perhaps. But if were agreed were looking for good bench players... then..

I'd much rather see the Spurs obtain a skill-set along the lines of Michael Pietrus, who has more size, length, leaping ability and a "take it to the rack mentality" not to mention block shots, something the team could use more right now.

sigh...

Udoka isn't as good as azubuike.

Not even close.

Azubuike and Udoka are two totally different players.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 05:38 PM
sigh...

Udoka isn't as good as azubuike.

Not even close.

Azubuike and Udoka are two totally different players.

No doubt Azubuike is better than Udoka, not to mention younger. Only problem I have with this is the need for size and length on the wing, and Azubuike is about the same height as Udoka, which wouldn't make us any taller.

But if we sign Kelenna, I'm all for it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM

A starting two guard.

Yay, Pietrus can dunk. Take it to the rack ability? You obviously haven't seen Kelenna play if you think he can't take it to the rack.

Here, let me help you:

http://www.nba.com/media/kelenna_azubuike_400_070707.jpg

http://www.slamdunkcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/00000000000000000000000000000000000000000a18.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06Jn3AagR03kj/340x.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/marty_burns/11/15/five.to.know/p1.azubuike.jpg

Aside from that, you're wondering what Kelenna gives us that Pietrus doesn't?

Let's see:

Kelenna averaged more points per game, more rebounds per game, more assists per game, less turnovers per game, and had higher FG%, FT%, and 3pt %.

Oh, and you're right - Pietrus has a ton more length than Kelenna, dude's a whopping one inch taller. OMG! But clearly Pietrus trumps all that because he averages a whopping 0.2 blocks per game more than Pietrus.

You'd have been better of saying you haven't ever heard of Kelenna so you don't like him as much instead of opening your mouth and looking like a fool.

timvp
07-01-2008, 08:03 PM
So with Davis out of the picture, is Azubuike still a possibility? Nellie said Barnes is gone. With Ellis moving over to SG, that opens up a starting spot. I guess perhaps if the Warriors sign Maggette and one of Azubuike or Pietrus ... the Spurs may have a shot at the other.

Sucks though because it got a whole lot harder to steal either one.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 08:06 PM
So with Davis out of the picture, is Azubuike still a possibility? Nellie said Barnes is gone. With Ellis moving over to SG, that opens up a starting spot. I guess perhaps if the Warriors sign Maggette and one of Azubuike or Pietrus ... the Spurs may have a shot at the other.

Yep. I suspect they keep Kelenna now. They like him, we would have just been putting GS in a bind if Baron was still on the books.

I don't see them retaining either Barnes or Pietrus. My guess is they let both walk, re-sign Kelenna, and give some minutes to Wright.

The fallout from BD to the Clips sucks for us, unless GS turns around and goes after Maggette.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 08:07 PM

If the Warriors don't bring in Arenas, then my guess is that they'll re-sign everybody.

Slinkyman
07-01-2008, 08:14 PM
I can imagine all the restricted FAs will be resigned or matched, Pietrus is the only Warrior that may end up with a different team now. Unless Arenas picks GS that is.

Spurtacus
07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Any news about KA? Specific teams that are interested?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
So like I said...

http://www.nba.com/media/act_kelenna_azubuike.jpg

spurman20
07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
A starting two guard.

Yay, Pietrus can dunk. Take it to the rack ability? You obviously haven't seen Kelenna play if you think he can't take it to the rack.

Here, let me help you:

http://www.nba.com/media/kelenna_azubuike_400_070707.jpg

http://www.slamdunkcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/00000000000000000000000000000000000000000a18.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06Jn3AagR03kj/340x.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/marty_burns/11/15/five.to.know/p1.azubuike.jpg

Aside from that, you're wondering what Kelenna gives us that Pietrus doesn't?

Let's see:

Kelenna averaged more points per game, more rebounds per game, more assists per game, less turnovers per game, and had higher FG%, FT%, and 3pt %.

Oh, and you're right - Pietrus has a ton more length than Kelenna, dude's a whopping one inch taller. OMG! But clearly Pietrus trumps all that because he averages a whopping 0.2 blocks per game more than Pietrus.

You'd have been better of saying you haven't ever heard of Kelenna so you don't like him as much instead of opening your mouth and looking like a fool.

Do you think G State would match and MLE offer for him?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Giving him the MLE for the next three years with a player option after year 2 should do the trick.

TheProfessor
07-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Giving him the MLE for the next three years with a player option after year 2 should do the trick.
There is no way in hell the Spurs will give Azubuike the full MLE.

spurman20
07-08-2008, 09:51 PM

I take it your not a R Davis fan huh? You dont think he could help if he stays in line?

timvp
07-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Giving him the MLE for the next three years with a player option after year 2 should do the trick.It'd need to be a team option.

angelbelow
07-08-2008, 09:52 PM
theres no way they resign azubuike now right?

Kori Ellis
07-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Still short.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 09:53 PM
I take it your not a R Davis fan huh? You dont think he could help if he stays in line?

Ricky Davis has been a cancer everywhere he's ever been. He's made every team he's played on worse. No thanks.

spurman20
07-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Ricky Davis has been a cancer everywhere he's ever been. He's made every team he's played on worse. No thanks.

I agree but I think Duncan and Pops could keep him in line, I just dont wanna see some have to roll our starting SG out in a wheel chair next year so not Fin or Berry at least as a starter

SPURSGOAT
07-08-2008, 09:56 PM
There is no way in hell the Spurs will give Azubuike the full MLE.

That's what it will take to land anyone that is left pretty much... or pretty close to it...

nickdakoolkat
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
As a warrior fan I would love to keep Buike, but if we don't he would be a great fit for the spurs. He is a very mature 3 year player. He can rebound for his size, and he gives a great effort every night no matter how much PT he gets. He can also shoot the ball, and isn't afraid to take and make a big shot...plus he is friggin strong...him and maggette are 2 of the most yoked SF in the league.

Spurs Brazil
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I think Nuggets will matc JR.

I'd offer the whole MLE on a 2 year deal. No team or player oprion

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Bottom line is we're going to have to overpay for Kelenna (full MLE) if we want to get him.

That's the price of doing business on the swing man market this year. He's really worth about 3 million a year, but honestly it's worth the extra 3 mil if it means Michael Finley is done as a Spur.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 10:05 PM

I wouldn't be ready to give him the full MLE just yet. He's a good player, but right now he seems like a ~$4-4.5M player, not a ~$6M.

I would give about 4.5 of the MLE to Azubuike, try to get our last big with the rest (~$1.2M), and re-sign Barry with the LLE.

TheProfessor
07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
That's what it will take to land anyone that is left pretty much... or pretty close to it...
Regardless of what it will take, I just can't see the Spurs making that offer. For JR Smith, yes, but not for Azuibuke.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Bottom line is we're going to have to overpay for Kelenna (full MLE) if we want to get him.

That's the price of doing business on the swing man market this year. He's really worth about 3 million a year, but honestly it's worth the extra 3 mil if it means Michael Finley is done as a Spur.

I second that :toast

TJastal
07-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Regardless of what it will take, I just can't see the Spurs making that offer. For JR Smith, yes, but not for Azuibuke.

Azuibuke > Jr Smith

spurman20
07-09-2008, 11:44 AM
The spurs dont seem to have any interest in Azuibuke.......most likely cause he can jump and you know how we hate that. I dont think the warriors match offers for him now that they signed Turrif to an offer sheet.....nows the time to go after him or J Hayes.....or it looks like the big three have won thier last title together

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 11:45 AM
The spurs dont seem to have any interest in Azuibuke.......most likely cause he can jump and you know how we hate that. I dont think the warriors match offers for him now that they signed Turrif to an offer sheet.....nows the time to go after him or J Hayes.....or it looks like the big three have won thier last title together

TheProfessor
07-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Azuibuke > Jr Smith
In terms of pure talent and potential, J.R. Smith is clearly superior. But I'd rather have Azuibuke on this team.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 11:55 AM
"The spurs dont seem to have any interest in Azuibuke.......most likely cause he can jump and you know how we hate that"

I am LOL at this comment .. thx for that Spurman :)

TJastal
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM
In terms of pure talent and potential, J.R. Smith is clearly superior. But I'd rather have Azuibuke on this team.

Exactly, he would flourish in the spurs system, whereas JR Smith would flounder. So why not show him the money.

Jr Smith may have more potential than Azubuike, but you know damn well that arrogant cocky, lazy side will come out the 3rd or 4th time he gets benched, and it would just get worse from there.

To me Azubuike just looks hungrier, meaner, tougher, and willing to do whatever it takes .. and has star potential.. great replacement for Finley for the mid level money IMO.

tav1
07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/Kelenna_Tanzania.html

This piece gives some sense of who Azubuike is as a person. Personally, between his worth ethic, evident intelligence, and relative maturity, I think he'd make a great Spur. If we end up with the some combination like Azubuike/Delfino I won't be dancing in the streets but I won't be discouraged either. That'll give us a fighting chance--a lot will ride on Mahinmi and Hill, but it'll make for a captivating season.

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 01:30 PM
http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/Kelenna_Tanzania.html

This piece gives some sense of who Azubuike is as a person. Personally, between his worth ethic, evident intelligence, and relative maturity, I think he'd make a great Spur. If we end up with the some combination like Azubuike/Delfino I won't be dancing in the streets but I won't be discouraged either. That'll give us a fighting chance--a lot will ride on Mahinmi and Hill, but it'll make for a captivating season.

AGREED.....if we can somehow get Delfino and Azubuike...ill be very satisfied.