Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_carlos_delfino.jpg

Carlos Delfino | SG
Born: Aug 29, 1982
Height: 6-6 / 1,98
Weight: 230 lbs. / 104,3 kg.
Years Pro: 3

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/carlos_delfino/index.html)

Not my top choice, but I can definitely see it.

exstatic
06-08-2008, 09:23 PM
We could do a lot worse.

Bob Lanier
06-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Great rebounder for a guard, very good defender, especially against power wings (Pierce, James, Carter, etc. rather than pure jumpshooters).

On the other end, I believe Toronto fans are calling him "Count Chuckula" or something like, which is more or less accurate. Either he's on or he's off with the jumpshot, and he hasn't developed his handle or his post-up game to a significant degree since he's entered the league. And he seems to have enough of an ego that he's reluctant to accept a limited offensive role, although that could just be bluster for someone struggling to stay in the league.

He could be a good replacement for Bowen if he's willing to become a role player and abandon his pretensions of being a point guard, though.

angelbelow
06-08-2008, 09:43 PM
not a bad option, how much do guys think hes gonna cost?

Bob Lanier
06-08-2008, 09:49 PM
He's not consistent enough to draw more than $2.5 or $3 million a year, max, I'd guess. Basically the qualifying offer.

Pistons < Spurs
06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Once he was traded to the Raptors, didn't he say something about this being his last attempt in the NBA, and that he'd go to Europe?

Man of Steel
06-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Sign him

timvp
06-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I just don't like him. He's the one Argentine who lacks basketball fundamentals. He's also the one Argentine primadonna. His basketball IQ is scary low, especially offensively.

Delfino and Petrius look like solid options on paper but they are so damn dumb that it'd be hard for me to ever imagine Pop dealing with 'em.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Once he was traded to the Raptors, didn't he say something about this being his last attempt in the NBA, and that he'd go to Europe?
i think that was brezec

tav1
06-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I think Delfino is a fine choice and wouldn't demand the entire MLE. That last part is a plus.

intlspurshk
06-09-2008, 12:31 AM
He is nothing special and his playoff performance is not that great. I don't see him can help SPURS much.

T Park
06-09-2008, 12:47 AM
If you can't get Azubuike, then JR Smith, then Gordon Giricek,

then maybe this guy.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Delfino would be a pickup for the bench. The appeal is that you could split the MLE. Peter Lynch might call that "diworsification."

angelbelow
06-09-2008, 02:37 AM
I just don't like him. He's the one Argentine who lacks basketball fundamentals. He's also the one Argentine primadonna. His basketball IQ is scary low, especially offensively.

Delfino and Petrius look like solid options on paper but they are so damn dumb that it'd be hard for me to ever imagine Pop dealing with 'em.

+1

but i would give delfino the edge out of the two because manu is here to help him out. so is oberto. with that said, i dont mind delfino here.

Dingle Barry
06-09-2008, 02:45 AM
Reminds me of a shittier 04 Hedo

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-09-2008, 04:36 AM
+1

but i would give delfino the edge out of the two because manu is here to help him out. so is oberto. with that said, i dont mind delfino here.

That was my thought - 3 Argies playing together could make for a special second team, although it wouldn't work that way because one of the SGs would have to start. Harumph.

PDXSpursFan
06-09-2008, 11:11 AM

I agree with on the IQ part. But the big difference is that Petrius is overrated so he would be expensive. Also defensively Delfino >>>>> Petrius and can be available cheap.

urunobili
06-09-2008, 11:14 AM
2 mill a year for him even as a scrub makes sense...

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-09-2008, 07:15 PM
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO AND NO!!!

When he started his career, the guy had all the athletic conditions to be even better than Manu. He was a sick dunker, who could drive to the rim squeezing the ball with one hand and jump like he was competing in high jump in the Olympics. That jumping ability would've made it possible for him to average 6-7 rebounds playing as a guard. He was stronger than Manu and almost as quick, which allowed him to play from point guard to small forward.

Also, he had an NBA three-point range before moving from Europe and his perimeter defense was very promising. He had the capacity to disrupt shots with his long arms and to make some steals.

And yet, none of those things have happened. A guy with a lot of potential, who just wasted it by simply not caring about the game. He is the kind of guy who needs a coach that tells him that he's the best thing since sliced bread, and doesn't go hard on him. He has a very low level of confidence, and he can't stand to get shouted by the coach. He has settled himself for being a role player who comes from the bench in Toronto to take open jumpshots.

Imagine him under Pop, after his first mental mistake that leads to an easy basket for the other team, Pop calls a timeout. He starts yelling at him, for which will destroy his thin self-confidence, or even worse, give one of his "I don't give a fuck" looks. The next step is well known, Pop's doghouse, free agency, return to Europe or ends up warming the Bobcats bench (in the best possible scenario for him).

A lot of unreached potential. Not Spurs material at all.

urunobili
06-09-2008, 08:24 PM
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO AND NO!!!

When he started his career, the guy had all the athletic conditions to be even better than Manu. He was a sick dunker, who could drive to the rim squeezing the ball with one hand and jump like he was competing in high jump in the Olympics. That jumping ability would've made it possible for him to average 6-7 rebounds playing as a guard. He was stronger than Manu and almost as quick, which allowed him to play from point guard to small forward.

Also, he had an NBA three-point range before moving from Europe and his perimeter defense was very promising. He had the capacity to disrupt shots with his long arms and to make some steals.

And yet, none of those things have happened. A guy with a lot of potential, who just wasted it by simply not caring about the game. He is the kind of guy who needs a coach that tells him that he's the best thing since sliced bread, and doesn't go hard on him. He has a very low level of confidence, and he can't stand to get shouted by the coach. He has settled himself for being a role player who comes from the bench in Toronto to take open jumpshots.

Imagine him under Pop, after his first mental mistake that leads to an easy basket for the other team, Pop calls a timeout. He starts yelling at him, for which will destroy his thin self-confidence, or even worse, give one of his "I don't give a fuck" looks. The next step is well known, Pop's doghouse, free agency, return to Europe or ends up warming the Bobcats bench (in the best possible scenario for him).

A lot of unreached potential. Not Spurs material at all.
Plus we are not sure his chemistry with both Manu and Oberto... :downspin:

Bob Lanier
06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
And yet, none of those things have happened.
Actually all of those things happened.

And he's still not a very good player, for the reasons you describe.

But he can rebound, defend, shoot, and dunk.

tav1
06-28-2008, 11:37 AM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/450971

Toronto has decided to let DelFino walk.

He's not my first option, or second for that matter, but I wonder what his asking price is?

timvp
06-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't like Delfino but if he's going to be virtually unrestricted, he might become one of the fallback plans if the other options aren't successful.

I know Colangelo isn't that big of a Bonner fan but Bonner back to Toronto for Delfino might be tempting for both sides. Bonner could replace George Garbage.

A.H 21-50
06-28-2008, 11:43 AM

Toronto has decided to let DelFino walk.

He's not my first option, or second for that matter, but I wonder what his asking price is?

i'm not a fan of delfino
not a bad player but will not turn into a good good player

others guys seems better

Biggems
06-28-2008, 11:54 AM
if you could combine Pietrus and Delfino together they would have the basketball IQ of a walnut

Sway
06-28-2008, 12:00 PM
if you could combine Pietrus and Delfino together they would have the basketball IQ of a walnut

:lmao

Spurs Brazil
06-28-2008, 12:22 PM
The one player who seems to be on his way out is restricted free agent Carlos Delfino. Because of financial constraints, and the desire to give coach Sam Mitchell a chance to establish a regular rotation, Delfino doesn't appear to have a future with the Raptors.

And because of those same issues, it's unlikely Toronto would entertain a sign-and-trade proposition for Delfino, who may end up heading to Europe, where he's sure to command a greater salary than he'll get in the NBA.

T Park
06-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah Delfino is probobly gone to europe...

tav1
06-28-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't like Delfino but if he's going to be virtually unrestricted, he might become one of the fallback plans if the other options aren't successful.

I know Colangelo isn't that big of a Bonner fan but Bonner back to Toronto for Delfino might be tempting for both sides. Bonner could replace George Garbage.

I thought the same thing, but the article seems to suggest Toronto is all capped out and is not in a position to take back any players.

The Spurs best option on Bonner is Pop sending Mullin and Nellie all sorts of choice wine and calling them at their drunkest and trading Bonner for part of the gigantic trade exception GS seems content to let die.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-28-2008, 01:21 PM
He have huge offer from Panathinaikos. We will see if he end up there. He have huge offer much more than can get in NBA but he is not level of player that is to standard of PAO for starters so team is little bit hesitate on him.

Indazone
06-28-2008, 01:23 PM
If he is not on the level of player standard for PAO for starters then why even give him a huge offer? They offer him big money because he's an NBA calibur player.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-28-2008, 01:43 PM
If he is not on the level of player standard for PAO for starters then why even give him a huge offer? They offer him big money because he's an NBA calibur player.

No because if they cannot get players they want they will take him with big offer. They are offers contracts to Jamison, Artest, and some others. Players like Delfino and Finley is options if cannot get ones they want.

Indazone
06-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Artest?? He should at least fly there for an all expense paid vacation. It would be something if they signed him. Doubt that they would because Artest isn't as dumb as he looks. He will wait to see all the offers from the NBA teams and see what the Euroleague offers.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Artest?? He should at least fly there for an all expense paid vacation. It would be something if they signed him. Doubt that they would because Artest isn't as dumb as he looks. He will wait to see all the offers from the NBA teams and see what the Euroleague offers.

Is report PAO offer Artest what is same as 3 years $73 millions dollars before tax contract from NBA. What you think is chance NBA will match? Seem in Greece reporters are skeptics that he will take offer.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Is report PAO offer Artest what is same as 3 years $73 millions dollars before tax contract from NBA. What you think is chance NBA will match? Seem in Greece reporters are skeptics that he will take offer.

:lol

VaSpursFan
06-30-2008, 12:33 PM

:wow:wow:wowPAO is going to offer Artest around $24 million a season? somehow i don't believe this...if it's true, he shouldn't hesitate.

:lol

I agree :lmao:lmao:lmao

Spurs Brazil
06-30-2008, 03:35 PM
:wow:wow:wowPAO is going to offer Artest around $24 million a season? somehow i don't believe this...if it's true, he shouldn't hesitate.

I agree :lmao:lmao:lmao

:rollin:rollin:rollin

T Park
06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Kill Bill is the hoopsworld of posters.

Put him on the ignore list.

waly.mg
06-30-2008, 05:43 PM
I trade Delfino for Bonner inmediatly

AnotherArgie
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Sorry if it's dupe, but according to argentinian newspaper Ole:

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008/07/02/basquet/01706524.html

the Spurs already offered Delfino a two years contract. His agent is studying it, since he's looking forward for a 3 years deal.

The article also says the Spurs are interested in Pietrus, James Jones, Posey and Quintin Ross; and that the Cavs, Magic and Khimky of Russia are also interested in Delfino.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry if it's dupe, but according to argentinian newspaper Ole:

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008/07/02/basquet/01706524.html

the Spurs already offered Delfino a two years contract. His agent is studying it, since he's looking forward for a 3 years deal.

The article also says the Spurs are interested in Pietrus, James Jones, Posey and Quintin Ross; and that the Cavs, Magic and Khimky of Russia are also interested in Delfino.

I wonder if that's for the LLE or if the Spurs are considering splitting up their MLE if they lose out on Maggette and perhaps a couple other top free agent targets.

Of course, another possibility would be a sign and trade involving Raps' fan favorite Matt Bonner.

timvp
07-02-2008, 01:13 PM
The Spurs could have offered Delfino the LLE. That'd make sense and would be a decent buy, even though I don't like him too much as a player. He respects Ginobili and perhaps Ginobili could keep him from being a primadona.

It could also be part of an MLE offer. I doubt the Spurs are foolish enough to think that Maggette is in the bag at this point so they are likely floating out all sorts of contract offers.

nkdlunch
07-02-2008, 01:26 PM
exactly what I predicted earlier this morning. very likely Spurs get Delfino. :tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh hell no. Barry can do everything Delfino does and he's not an attention whore.
Hopefully this is false. I'd rather bring back Barry than sign Delfino.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh hell no. Barry can do everything Delfino does and he's not an attention whore.

My guess is Delfino is part of Plan C.

tav1
07-02-2008, 01:32 PM
There is probably more money in europe for delfino than the LLE. That's basically what he made last year for the Raps.

Hmmm.

If that's the case, then the Spurs probably plan to use Udoka at the 4 quite a bit, especially if they sign both Maggette (MLE) and Delfino (LLE). It's also makes things look bleak for Malik Hairston and impossible for Gist. But it would explain Barry's eagerness to leave.

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Delfino/Ginobli/Finley
Bowen/Maggette/Hairston(?)
Duncan/Udoka/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto/Mahinmi

That's a roster that would see tons of small ball sets. But it's damn good.

nkdlunch
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM

Barry can do many things better than Delfino.

on the other hand Barry cannot guard guards or SF. Delfino can.

either way I don't see barry leaving.

rascal
07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Delfino is not a difference maker. He won't help the spurs at all. Won't make any difference if the spurs get him or not when playing the top teams in the playoffs.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Delfino is not a difference maker. He won't help the spurs at all. Won't make any difference if the spurs get him or not when playing the top teams in the playoffs.

Sure. He's a role player and the Spurs will need some of them given that they have 3 significant role players who are free agents.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
He have huge offer from Panathinaikos. We will see if he end up there. He have huge offer much more than can get in NBA but he is not level of player that is to standard of PAO for starters so team is little bit hesitate on him.

Is it for 3 years and $73 million?

angelbelow
07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Is it for 3 years and $73 million?

theres no way artest refuses that. so it must be false :rolleyes

loveforthegame
07-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm not crazy about Delfino but I can understand the Spurs interest in him.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 02:48 PM
My guess is Delfino is part of Plan C.

Yeah, I think so too. For the LLE, he's not a terrible option. At least with him you can picture a sometimes on-court trio of Delfino/Manu/Oberto that have a built-in familiarity, and just as Oberto seems to operate a liitle better when Manu's on the court with him, maybe the same would be true for Delfino.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
There is probably more money in europe for delfino than the LLE. That's basically what he made last year for the Raps.

Hmmm.

If that's the case, then the Spurs probably plan to use Udoka at the 4 quite a bit, especially if they sign both Maggette (MLE) and Delfino (LLE). It's also makes things look bleak for Malik Hairston and impossible for Gist. But it would explain Barry's eagerness to leave.

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Delfino/Ginobli/Finley
Duncan/Udoka/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto/Mahinmi

I think you're cheating a little, listing Udoka as a back-up PF-- he's 6'5".
The above roster would have 7 swing position players-- wouldn't it be better to lose one of those for an extra big body? If Hairston makes the team and they sign Maggette & Delfino, I don't see any reason for keeping Finley.
If Bynum and Oden are healthy next year, they will present problems.

Fiestadog
07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Reminds me of a shittier 04 Hedo

Just ask the Pistons...he's a loser.

T Park
07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Delfino > Hedo

Bruno
07-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Delfino for the LLE will be a good signing, if he can live with few and inconsistent playing time. He can shoot and defend, that's enough to me.

tav1
07-02-2008, 04:51 PM
The above roster would have 7 swing position players-- wouldn't it be better to lose one of those for an extra big body? If Hairston makes the team and they sign Maggette & Delfino, I don't see any reason for keeping Finley.
If Bynum and Oden are healthy next year, they will present problems.

1) Delfino at the LLE is great value, and even those on the board whom are low on him would take that, especially if Maggette is at the wing

2) Udoka logged quite a few minutes at the 4 last season--Pop likes to play small. So, yes, I think it's odd. But if, and were specuating here, they have offerred Maggette the MLE and Delfino the LLE, then I don't think it's a stretch that they plan to use Ime at the 4.

Like everyone else on this board, I watch a lot of Spurs basketball. I can't imagine that I'm the only one to note that Pop likes to play him at 4--where he's a surprisingly good rebounder.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 05:17 PM
1) Delfino at the LLE is great value, and even those on the board whom are low on him would take that, especially if Maggette is at the wing

2) Udoka logged quite a few minutes at the 4 last season--Pop likes to play small. So, yes, I think it's odd. But if, and were specuating here, they have offerred Maggette the MLE and Delfino the LLE, then I don't think it's a stretch that they plan to use Ime at the 4.

Like everyone else on this board, I watch a lot of Spurs basketball. I can't imagine that I'm the only one to note that Pop likes to play him at 4--where he's a surprisingly good rebounder.

I understand your reasoning-- but do you still think keeping Finley is preferable to adding a Big?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-02-2008, 06:09 PM
When I first thought about this, I was totally against it (read my post in the first page of this thread). But now that I've come to think about it, he could be a good signing for the LLE. He could be converted into a Spurs-kind of player, improving his work ethic. If that happens, then I'll declare Pop a genius, because so far, Delfino has had problems with almost every coach he's worked under in his career.

He's got an attitude problem and the worst part is that he doesn't know it. He seems to underrate himself on the court, never reaching his potential or exploiting his conditions. At the same time, he overrates himself in front of the press, always blaming the coaches for his failures. He's Manu's exact opposite.

If the Spurs coaching staff can work him on the psychological side of his game, then this is a steal for the LLE. Of course, Manu and Fabricio would have a say too, since both are the National Team captains now, and they've always spoken very well and were supportive to other Argentinians playing around the world, but they have always been strangely silent about Delfino.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
When I first thought about this, I was totally against it (read my post in the first page of this thread). But now that I've come to think about it, he could be a good signing for the LLE. He could be converted into a Spurs-kind of player, improving his work ethic. If that happens, then I'll declare Pop a genius, because so far, Delfino has had problems with almost every coach he's worked under in his career.

He's got an attitude problem and the worst part is that he doesn't know it. He seems to underrate himself on the court, never reaching his potential or exploiting his conditions. At the same time, he overrates himself in front of the press, always blaming the coaches for his failures. He's Manu's exact opposite.

If the Spurs coaching staff can work him on the psychological side of his game, then this is a steal for the LLE. Of course, Manu and Fabricio would have a say too, since both are the National Team captains now, and they've always spoken very well and were supportive to other Argentinians playing around the world, but they have always been strangely silent about Delfino.

I imagine Pop has at least spoken to Manu & Oberto about this possibility to gauge their interest and opinions about Delfino's maturity, locker-room presence, etc. It would be strange to take such a chance on an average talent if he's a trouble-maker and two of his team-mates from the Argentine National team have secretly told you that he's not worth the effort...

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Delfino would be a fantastic fit in SA.

Hope its for the LLE, and if so, its a steal.

Avitus1
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Guess we'll wait and see how this works out. Hopefully good...

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Delfino by that description, sounds like almost an argentine Stephen Jackson.

Dunno how clutch he is.

SPURS21
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Umm Delfino is crap. Here in T.O. I think everyone will be glad to see him go.

timvp
07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Delfino by that description, sounds like almost an argentine Stephen Jackson.Delfino is more like the Argentine Jerry Stackhouse -- the homeless man's version.

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Delfino is more like the Argentine Jerry Stackhouse -- the homeless man's version.

If he played like the 2006 version, bring him the F on.

ShoogarBear
07-02-2008, 08:28 PM
All the bad things noted, but the nice thing about Delfino is that he would give the Spurs incredible defensive flexibility in the swing spot in addition to Bowen and Udoka. If the Spurs sign Maggette and Pop can get him to play just adequate defense, that would be a huge upgrade for the Small Ball defense.

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Umm Delfino is crap. Here in T.O. I think everyone will be glad to see him go.

Toronto treated Matt Bonner like a god.

Thats all I need to know about Toronto.

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
All the bad things noted, but the nice thing about Delfino is that he would give the Spurs incredible defensive flexibility in the swing spot in addition to Bowen and Udoka. If the Spurs sign Maggette and Pop can get him to play just adequate defense, that would be a huge upgrade for the Small Ball defense.

Yeah if they pulled both, you could almost give Bowen and Ginobili november through January off.

SPURS21
07-02-2008, 09:23 PM
TPark you are right, what does that say about Delfino

Sway
07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
What position does Delfino usually play? On the first page he is listed as a SG, but on his draft profile he is listed as a SF/PF. He doest seem that big, but is listed at 230lb which is pretty big for a SG.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Using any part of the MLE on Delfino would be an awful move and kill any chance of scoring Maggette, Smith, Pietrus, or Gomes. Landing him with the LLE would be perfect-- this FA market is not that great and lots of teams will be looking for a guy who defends and the worst thing that could happen would be the Spurs getting shut out completely. Grab him right away & still try to make a big splash with Maggette.

tav1
07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
I understand your reasoning-- but do you still think keeping Finley is preferable to adding a Big?

Depends. I think Delfino/Maggette is better than Maggette/Javtokas or Maggette/Benson. I'd gladly take a small ball front courts at times for that sort of wing flexibility.

And I think Finley is done. He just strikes me as a guy who has worn down. I think he should retire and continue to collect his checks from Cuban and think about coaching.

tav1
07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Delfino for the LLE will be a good signing, if he can live with few and inconsistent playing time. He can shoot and defend, that's enough to me.

You said in 30 words what I tried to say in 300.

SenorSpur
07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
The above roster would have 7 swing position players-- wouldn't it be better to lose one of those for an extra big body? If Hairston makes the team and they sign Maggette & Delfino, I don't see any reason for keeping Finley. If Bynum and Oden are healthy next year, they will present problems.

Even if Hairston doesn't make the team, there's no reason for bringing Finley back - at all. The Spurs have so much better options at their disposal.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-02-2008, 09:42 PM
What position does Delfino usually play? On the first page he is listed as a SG, but on his draft profile he is listed as a SF/PF. He doest seem that big, but is listed at 230lb which is pretty big for a SG.

SG-SF. Could play the point in case of extreme shortage. Can't play the 4, not even with a smallball lineup.

T.F. Storm
07-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Delfino by that description, sounds like almost an argentine Stephen Jackson.

Dunno how clutch he is.

Well he once hit a game-tying three pointer against the Knicks to send the game to OT back when he was with the Pistons. :lol

SenorSpur
07-02-2008, 09:45 PM

Hmmm.

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Delfino/Ginobli/Finley
Duncan/Udoka/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto/Mahinmi

Just because the Spurs are revamping the swingman positions doesn't necessarily mean the end for Hairston and Gist. Hell, they just got here. It will probably take 1-2 years to develop them - more likely 3 years for Pop to trust them. They would be the future. The Spurs would be foolish to give up on these guys so soon. Besides, Defino and Maggette (or whoever the other swingman will be) probably wont be resigned in 2010, anyway.

Mr. Body
07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
The Spurs drafted knowing what their FA tactics would be. Signing two swingmen does not endanger Hairston or Gist.

SenorSpur
07-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I think so too. For the LLE, he's not a terrible option. At least with him you can picture a sometimes on-court trio of Delfino/Manu/Oberto that have a built-in familiarity, and just as Oberto seems to operate a liitle better when Manu's on the court with him, maybe the same would be true for Delfino.

If Pop is going to feature that trio of Argentines from time-to-time, he needs to sign Pietrus, so he can feature an similar French trio of Parker-Mahinmi-Pietrus. Which would be very appealing to TP. :lol

ShoogarBear
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
From Defino's standpoint, would he even consider signing if Maggette is coming? I just can't see him accepting the role of 4th swingman.

tav1
07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Just because the Spurs are revamping the swingman positions doesn't necessarily mean the end for Hairston and Gist. Hell, they just got here. It will probably take 1-2 years to develop them - more likely 3 years for Pop to trust them. They would be the future. The Spurs would be foolish to give up on these guys so soon. Besides, Defino and Maggette (or whoever the other swingman will be) probably wont be resigned in 2010, anyway.

Roster spots.

And it wouldn't be foolish. Most teams give up on their 2nd round picks fairly quickly. There is a reason their contracts are not locked in stone.

Although, I still think Hairston would make the team as an Austin assignee. But that would give the Spurs oodles and oodles of swings.

tav1
07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
The Spurs drafted knowing what their FA tactics would be. Signing two swingmen does not endanger Hairston or Gist.

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Delfino/Ginobli/Hairston
Maggette/Bowen/Udoka/Gist
Duncan/Mahinmi/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto/

Possible. I still say it's unlikey that they'll carry all three rookies and Mahinmi.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
This is Delfino's good side:

vuamqw1zCTg

d6ww4WC7agg

1aR6OShQLao

kM0SAyKhvpo

DX-nrMzOA0s

EfKu6Ng2hVU

9JSbrQwrL2Q

M8XCEXMBhrg

I73SwqIWCNA

UqVWmD4OTdk

_gJofAIQ3lA

g5SzXBbBWOo

Gd2--een7SI

g45YC1c_y6k

5Fc3_2IeBtQ

dVIyq8Jymwo

Mr. Body
07-02-2008, 10:14 PM
From Defino's standpoint, would he even consider signing if Maggette is coming? I just can't see him accepting the role of 4th swingman.

I don't see them signing both. Not with Udoka there, not with the draft they had.

Srupsog
07-04-2008, 04:38 PM
If the spurs do sign maggette and then sign delfino, I think the spurs should sign finley or barry, just in case delfino sucks.

Sway
07-04-2008, 05:09 PM
The only way I like the Spurs signing Delfino is if its for a bargain price. Since he is a RFA, his team would be dumb not to match a bargain basement contract. I guess Im just not getting the Spurs interest in him if the only way to sign him is to overpay. He is not the type of player a team should even consider over paying for. Especially with similiar players like Pietrus and Barnes who are UFA.

mrspurs
07-04-2008, 05:31 PM
me no like delfino....and thats all i got to say about that

xtremesteven33
07-04-2008, 05:41 PM
delfino is a great talnet who would be a fantastic addition to the spurs. those who cant see that are either blind or stupid

Sway
07-04-2008, 06:04 PM
delfino is a great talnet who would be a fantastic addition to the spurs. those who cant see that are either blind or stupid

Well I guess most of the NBA is either blind or stupid because last I checked not too many people are high on Delfino. Since you are in the minority I think you may be the one choosing between option A or B.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Buy low, I guess.

diego
07-04-2008, 07:37 PM
a lot of times a players worth is relative to his contract. in delfino's case, for him to be valuable to the spurs, he must have a very small contract, anything else and he isnt worth it.

AusSpursFan
07-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Better options out there, as a last resort maybe

waly.mg
07-05-2008, 08:17 AM
There´s another thing in the Delfino´s thing

Delfino´s Girlfriend is Italian, and Manu´s wife and Manu speak italian

When Manu and Delfino are together with Delfino´s girlfriend always talking italian

underdawg
07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Buy low, I guess.

wouldn't he be the perfect replacement for Barry if he decides to go with another team? Wouldn't the price be similar for either one?

ducks
07-05-2008, 01:22 PM
There´s another thing in the Delfino´s thing

Delfino´s Girlfriend is Italian, and Manu´s wife and Manu speak italian

When Manu and Delfino are together with Delfino´s girlfriend always talking italian

what at would happen if manu was traded ?
would he through a hissy fit?

Tully365
07-05-2008, 03:22 PM
It's awfully rare for a 57th pick from the draft to find himself suiting up for that team the following season.... I wish Gist and Hairston the best of luck, but I'd guess the odds for Hairston are at least 5/1 and for Gist more like 20/1.

SenorSpur
07-05-2008, 03:31 PM
It's awfully rare for a 57th pick from the draft to find himself suiting up for that team the following season.... I wish Gist and Hairston the best of luck, but I'd guess the odds for Hairston are at least 5/1 and for Gist more like 20/1.

I agree the odds are long for Hairston and Gist, but the fact of the matter is the Spurs NEED to develop these guys. They have virtually "nothing" in the cupboard in the way of young, emerging talent. As such, they can ill-afford to to simply throw away talent before it comes to fruition. They need to invest the 1-2 years it will take to see if these guys can fit for the longer term.

Tully365
07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I agree the odds are long for Hairston and Gist, but the fact of the matter is the Spurs NEED to develop these guys. They have virtually "nothing" in the cupboard in the way of young, emerging talent. As such, they can ill-afford to to simply throw away talent before it comes to fruition. They need to invest the 1-2 years it will take to see if these guys can fit for the longer term.

Yeah, that's true. But just to give a frame of reference, here are the last seven guys chosen with the 57th pick:

Sammy Majia
Loukas Mavrokefalidis
Marcin Gortat
Sergei Karalov
Xue Yuyang
Randy Holcomb
Alvin Jones

tav1
07-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Yeah, that's true. But just to give a frame of reference, here are the last seven guys chosen with the 57th pick:

Sammy Majia
Loukas Mavrokefalidis
Marcin Gortat
Sergei Karalov
Xue Yuyang
Randy Holcomb
Alvin Jones

Tully, this is a sobering reminder of how much we might expect from Gist. I of course will root for him and remain optimistic by putting my most positive basketball voodoo into the air by hoping he is the exception to the rule. But given this reminder, I continue to hope that the Spurs will make every effort to secure a quality young player--24 or younger--with the trade exception if they don't use it elsewhere *and* Hairston and Gist play to the odds. What others on this board say about refilling the pipeline and putting some reserves in the cupboard remains true. Ideally, we'd do this through the draft. But if there is a player (Wilson Chandler, for example) that we could get on a short contract flier and play him in Austin for a year, I'm all for it.

SenorSpur
07-05-2008, 04:12 PM

Sammy Majia
Loukas Mavrokefalidis
Marcin Gortat
Sergei Karalov
Xue Yuyang
Randy Holcomb
Alvin Jones

An unheralded list indeed. However, there are more successful finds in that round than one may think. For some perspective, here are some notable second round picks in recent years:

Gilbert Arenas
Monta Ellis
Paul Milsap
Carl Landry
Mehmet Okur
Louis Williams
Stephen Jackson
Daniel Gibson
Brandon Bass
Ryan Gomes

Going back a few years:
P.J. Brown
Antonio Davis
Nick Van Exel
Steve Kerr
Jerome Kersey
Gerald Wilkins
Anthony Mason
Vernon Maxwell

Of course, don't forget our beloved Manu Ginobili was chosen @ pick #57 too. I know that's an exception, but you get the point.

The Spurs do not have and likely do not want the financial commitment that comes with having first rounders over the next several years. Therefore, they have to get talent from somewhere. The most fiscally responsible way to do this is via the second round.

I simply hate for the Spurs to rush to judgement on both Hairston and Gist before these guys have an opportunity to develop. The ultimate insult would be for us to, one day, see them contributing for some other team.

Tully365
07-05-2008, 04:30 PM
An unheralded list indeed. However, there are more successful finds in that round than one may think. For some perspective, here are some notable second round picks in recent years:

Gilbert Arenas
Monta Ellis
Paul Milsap
Carl Landry
Mehmet Okur
Louis Williams
Stephen Jackson
Daniel Gibson
Brandon Bass
Ryan Gomes

Going back a few years:
P.J. Brown
Antonio Davis
Nick Van Exel
Steve Kerr
Jerome Kersey
Gerald Wilkins
Anthony Mason
Vernon Maxwell

Of course, don't forget our beloved Manu Ginobili was chosen @ pick #57 too. I know that's an exception, but you get the point.

The Spurs do not have and likely do not want to be financial commitment that comes with having first rounders over the next several years. Therefore, they have to get talent from somewhere. The most fiscally responsible way to do this is via the second round.

I simply hate for the Spurs to rush to judgement on both Hairston and Gist before these guys have an opportunity to develop. The ultimate insult would be for us to, one day, see them contributing for some other team.

Great post. I'm with you on this, and still believe the Spurs are one of the best at evaluating talent, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope Chris Douglas-Roberts turns out to be one of those 2nd round gems. I love the way he plays, and felt bad for him dropping so much on draft day. There were actually a few minutes there, from picks 35-40 when I started to think, "o god, is it possible the Spurs still get CDR??" But who knows, Hairston's numbers are similar to CDR's and maybe he will be the 2nd round steal... can't wait for summer leagues,,,

Mal
07-05-2008, 04:40 PM
For same price I would sign Delfino instead of Barry or Finley. I see more potential in him.

SenorSpur
07-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Great post. I'm with you on this, and still believe the Spurs are one of the best at evaluating talent, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope Chris Douglas-Roberts turns out to be one of those 2nd round gems. I love the way he plays, and felt bad for him dropping so much on draft day. There were actually a few minutes there, from picks 35-40 when I started to think, "o god, is it possible the Spurs still get CDR??" But who knows, Hairston's numbers are similar to CDR's and maybe he will be the 2nd round steal... can't wait for summer leagues,,,

Like some have stated earlier, I'm pleased that the Spurs have rediscovered the domestic side and started focusing on college-level players, as opposed to ignoring them strictly for the Euros. The economic downturns in this country have pretty much dictated as much.

With all the Spurs much-heralded success in evaluating talent in the Euro market and their famous draft-n-stash philosophy, the cupboard of talent in the pipeline is virtually nill. Consequently, that is another reason the Spurs will have to alter their strategy somewhat and begin taking a longer look at developing some of these second-rounders on their own dime.

BTW, word on CDR. :toast It will be interesting to watch how he develops over the next several years, versus Hairston. Another tandem to watch is the development of Hill and Batum.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I think the Spurs were trying to trade away their high second rounder, they just got a free look at Hairston in the process.

Sway
07-05-2008, 05:21 PM
I think the Spurs were trying to trade away their high second rounder, they just got a free look at Hairston in the process.

Im not sure about that. The trade that got the Spurs Hairston was made before he was picked. Hairston also worked out for the Spurs and was asked to come back for a second work out but couldnt due to his schedule. I think the Spurs specifically went after Hairston.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I think the main attraction was next season's pick.

Tully365
07-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Tully, this is a sobering reminder of how much we might expect from Gist. I of course will root for him and remain optimistic by putting my most positive basketball voodoo into the air by hoping he is the exception to the rule. But given this reminder, I continue to hope that the Spurs will make every effort to secure a quality young player--24 or younger--with the trade exception if they don't use it elsewhere *and* Hairston and Gist play to the odds. What others on this board say about refilling the pipeline and putting some reserves in the cupboard remains true. Ideally, we'd do this through the draft. But if there is a player (Wilson Chandler, for example) that we could get on a short contract flier and play him in Austin for a year, I'm all for it.

Damn! I forgot about putting bball voodoo in the air!! I'm gonna do that right now.:lol

Tully365
07-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Im not sure about that. The trade that got the Spurs Hairston was made before he was picked. Hairston also worked out for the Spurs and was asked to come back for a second work out but couldnt due to his schedule. I think the Spurs specifically went after Hairston.

That was a steal for the Spurs, don't you think? Hairston has potential, the cash they got (I read it was 500,000) pays for all of the ten day contracts/D League call ups or pays most of a minimum salary-- and if Hairston makes the team as a 2nd rounder, that Suns money pays most of his salary, which means the Spurs take a serious look at him with almost no financial risk. And, if Phoenix isn't as good next year, that pick might be closer to the one that netted a CDR or a Mario Chalmers-type player.

Sway
07-05-2008, 05:51 PM
That was a steal for the Spurs, don't you think? Hairston has potential, the cash they got (I read it was 500,000) pays for all of the ten day contracts/D League call ups or pays most of a minimum salary-- and if Hairston makes the team as a 2nd rounder, that Suns money pays most of his salary, which means the Spurs take a serious look at him with almost no financial risk. And, if Phoenix isn't as good next year, that pick might be closer to the one that netted a CDR or a Mario Chalmers-type player.

I agree, this was a great move on the Spurs part. They got a pretty good prospect, some cash, and a future pick. It doesnt get better than that. I also think Hairston is going to surpirse a lot of people which will make this trade even better for the Spurs.

intlspurshk
07-05-2008, 09:58 PM
The 2nd pick SPURS got is Warrior's pick, isn't it???

dastrey
07-05-2008, 10:41 PM
The Spurs were an injured Ginobili away from getting to the Finals. They don't need to find a savior. Delfino would be a great addition to this team. He doesn't have to play spectacular. He just has to give us more than an old Finley did. A 2 year contract around 7 million would be fair.

lapeapod
07-06-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm a really big fan of Delfino's and I've followed his career since he was with the Pistons. He's athletic, can defend, play two positions (SG and SF), bring the ball up, is a really good rebounder and for the strongest point he's a really good teammate. Carlos is most interested in a 3 year contract with some stability. He's played in 192 games straight so he's very healthy and the Spurs would be a really good fit for Delfino.

Just compare Delfino's stats with Mikael Pietrus's stats and Carlos hands down holds his own with Pietrus. He can be a solid 10 points and 5 boards off the bench with 25 minutes of play. He's just turning 26 years old so he's in his prime and will only get better. European players always take longer to mature than their American counterparts. Look at Luis Scola, he's a 27 year old rookie so not a young kid.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2008, 12:35 PM
What do you have to say on the topic of his ability of being a primadonna?

lapeapod
07-06-2008, 02:25 PM
On the subject of Carlos being a primadonna. Carlos is really soft spoken and doesn't usually talk much. He's usually one of the last players at practice and stays late working on his game with any of the other gym rats. He got the reputation as a primadonna his rookie year because he hurt his knee and wouldn't "man-up" and play like Larry Brown wanted to without getting a second opinion on it from his own doctor in Argentina. Carlos did get the surgery and spent the summer bicycling in his native country to get back in shape.

When Delfino was with the Pistons he primarily backed up Tayshaun Prince who was really durable and never missed one game. It's basically was lack of playing time for Carlos that led to his unhappiness and talking to the Spanish press about his role with the Pistons. Joe Dumars always has said to let him know if you want a trade and he'll accomodate you. So last summer Delfino asked his agent to make a trade and Carlos ended up with the Raptors where he played in every game, averaged 9 points and over 4 boards in 24 minutes per game.

I think next week it should shake out for lots of free agents on where they'll land and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Delfino is a Spur. He has said he's very excited about the thought of playing with Manu and Olberto plus the weather is a lot nicer than Toronto's.

Kindergarten Cop
07-06-2008, 05:00 PM
The 2nd pick SPURS got is Warrior's pick, isn't it???

Yes, it was the Warriors pick that we acquired from Phoenix - which will likely be a much better pick than the Suns' second rounder with Davis bolting.

timvp
07-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Pistons consider a Carlos Delfino return
By VINCE ELLIS

The Pistons have been in contact with several free-agent swingmen around the league, and one name is particularly interesting.

Former Piston Carlos Delfino is among the free agents the team is considering signing. Tomorrow is the first day NBA free agents can sign contracts, although they can agree to deals earlier.

Delfino, a 6-foot-6 forward from Argentina, averaged nine points per game in 82 games for the Toronto Raptors last season, his fourth year in the NBA.

A restricted free agent, Delfino received a qualifying offer by the Raptors in June, which means Toronto has the right to match any offer he gets.

But the Raptors have a glut of swingmen and might be reluctant to match.

The Pistons traded Delfino to Toronto in 2007 for draft picks after three years of inconsistent play and minutes. He was the Pistons’ second, first-round selection in 2003 — the year Darko Milicic was taken second overall.

The NBA will release the salary cap number for the 2008-09 season Wednesday, a figure expected to be about $59 million, with the luxury tax kicking in at $70 million.
The Pistons have committed $60 million in salary for next season, but can use the mid-level exception — around $5.6 million — to sign a player or two.

The Pistons have also contacted Golden State’s Mickael Pietrus, Portland’s James Jones, Boston’s James Posey and Utah’s C.J. Miles.

Published reports said the Pistons might be interested in pursuing Clippers free agent Corey Maggette, but he is thought to be waiting to see if he can get a big deal from a team that has plenty of spending money under the salary cap.

Interesting turn of events . . .

lapeapod
07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I just don't see Delfino signing with the Pistons as long as Tayshaun Prince and Rip Hamilton are still the starters. The main reason Carlos asked to be traded was to get some more playing time because Tay and Rip average 38-39 mpg so what will have changed if he comes back to them. It's a compliment to Delfino though the Pistons like his game more than what they have in Jarvis Hayes and are considering offering him a contract.

The Spurs are in the lead to sign Delfino so it should happen pretty soon if they offer up a fair contract. Carlos is ready to start working out with the Argentina team for the Olympics and he wants to be under a contract so that's one less thing to worry about this summer.

If Delfino signs then Manu can take his time recovering from his ankle injury and not log in so many minutes during the regular season and let Delfino play lots of minutes and you mark my words he'll average 10-14 points per game and 5-7 rebounds with regular minutes.

SequSpur
07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
i thought you all said delfino signed with the spurs?

ChumpDumper
07-08-2008, 06:11 PM
We were just making a buzz.

Spurs4lyf
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Are there any updates? Is Delfino going to sign with the Pistons again?

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 10:52 AM
I'd rather have Delfino than Mason.

nkdlunch
07-10-2008, 12:36 PM

no fuckin way. Mason's play is already at least 1 level above Delfino's. Mason is a lot more consistent and a lot more clutch.

oh yeah, and he is deadly from straightaway 3s

picnroll
07-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Is that based on last year's production of the two?

mardigan
07-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Is that based on last year's production of the two?

More based on being as negative as possible about everything.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
More based on being as negative as possible about everything.

More like Casper, without the personality.