06-08-2008, 09:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_matt_barnes.jpg

Matt Barnes | G/F
Born: Mar 9, 1980
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 226 lbs. / 102,5 kg.
College: UCLA
Years Pro: 4

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/matt_barnes/index.html)

I think he would be really good in SA. He wouldn't be my top target. A sign and trade would be ideal.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Yes sir. Very low on the radar and might be comparable down the line to Horry with better dribble. Definitely very high on my priority list, but I'm not the one being paid to make the big decisions.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Matt Barnes has gotten workouts for the Spurs every time he's been a free agent. So the Spurs like him. But he really wants to stay in Northern California. His experience with Knicks/Philly/Larry Brown turned him off to the rest of country a few years back - he almost quit basketball and went to the NFL after that. So I think it would take a lot (not money) to get him here.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I brought this up in another thread but with the unfortunate passing of his mother (R.I.P.) he may be a little less attached to NorCal if she was a primary reason for his homesickness. This time might be the charm and his recent frustrations with Nellie have been well-documented this season.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Matt Barnes has gotten workouts for the Spurs every time he's been a free agent. So the Spurs like him. But he really wants to stay in Northern California. His experience with Knicks/Philly/Larry Brown turned him off to the rest of country a few years back - he almost quit basketball and went to the NFL after that. So I think it would take a lot (not money) to get him here.

Maybe it takes no NoCa teams wanting him?

The Truth #6
06-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Perhaps the lack of playing time last year will change his mindset on where he wants to play. Or maybe he'll reconsider trying to join the NFL. But after last season, something has to change. I can't see him being happy not playing.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:25 PM
$ seems to cure all, even if it isn't the same $ as before.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Maybe it takes no NoCa teams wanting him?

Last time that no NoCa team wanted him, he started working out with NFL teams. :lol He's was an All-American wide receiver. It's been a few years since his bad experience in Philly/NY, so hopefully he's over it now. I have wanted Matt Barnes here for four years.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
5th time's the charm...hopefully.

The Truth #6
06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
So would he only play for the 49ers if he was to try and join the NFL? I'm not sure his insistence on California would give him more options by playing football.

Anyway, somehow I see us getting him because it would be the expected unexpected move for us to pull off. As soon as its legal I imagine Pop will be courting one of the two GS players inbetween touring the wine country.

He's not a pure scorer and in some ways duplicates Ime's contribution, but I would be happy if we got him this off-season. With he and Ian on the court, we would have a much different look.

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 10:37 PM
1st - Najera
2nd - Barnes

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 10:39 PM
I think he's a little more fluid on the offensive end than Ime, but I agree with your "expected unexpected" theory on a possible signing. Pop's likely already made reservations for a stay in the Bay.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Bonner for Barnes. Nellie has a soft spot in his heart for big men who shoot the long ball.

SenorSpur
06-08-2008, 11:24 PM
At age 28, perhaps he's given up his NFL fantasies by now. If he's so attached to NoCal, he can always try out for the Sac Queens.

Man of Steel
06-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Sign him

Sway
06-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Matt Barnes would be a good signing for the Spurs if some of the other FAs dont work out.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2008, 11:40 PM
1st - Najera
2nd - Barnes

:lol

I can't see how anyone would want our #1 FA priority to be a garbage man.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 11:42 PM
:tu

Avitus1
06-08-2008, 11:45 PM
I'd like to see it happen but I doubt he's going anywhere.

tav1
06-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Seems like I'm in the minority, but I've never liked his game. I'll pass.

Joe Schmoogins
06-09-2008, 12:25 AM
norcal people

intlspurshk
06-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Ime and him may duplicate a bit of talent. Both are nothing very special. Maybe one is enough. Let's see how much Ime asked when he opts out.

timvp
06-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Barnes has turned emo lately. I like him in a sign-and-trade or for the LLE but I wouldn't spend MLE money on him.

T Park
06-09-2008, 12:50 AM
His wanting to just meltdown in crunch time this past season has really turned me off on him.

E20
06-09-2008, 01:00 AM
He had a hard time signing a contract with GS last time. A sign and trade would be ideal, saves us the MLE.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Bonner for Barnes.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Bonner for Barnes. Nellie has a soft spot in his heart for big men who shoot the long ball.

I like that idea.

Then you use the MLE to throw at a good backup PG and a cheap big man, draft another swing, and we're done.

Spurs Brazil
06-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Bonner for Barnes.

This is a good idea. If Nelie liked Croshere he can live with Bonner.

And Bonner played the best game of his carrer against the Warriors last season

MoSpur
06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't like his game too much. I'd rather have Azubu....

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 07:26 PM
This is a good idea. If Nelie liked Croshere he can live with Bonner.

I actually thought the same thing to myself after further examining the idea and thinking about their styles of play....although Bonner could probably contribute more to a team at this point than Croshere at this point. Don't know if GS would go for it though given Barnes' higher ceiling, but trades aren't always about getting fair value....sometimes it's more about getting a better fit for a system.

honestfool84
06-09-2008, 09:52 PM
but trades aren't always about getting fair value....sometimes it's more about getting a better fit for a system.

some trades are about helping other teams, actually (see grizzles, memphis and twolves, minnesota/sonics, seattle)

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 09:54 PM
some trades are about helping other teams, actually (see grizzles, memphis and twolves, minnesota/sonics, seattle)

What I mentioned was just one example of why seemingly lopsided trades can occur....but obviously as we have seen finance and other factors can come into play as well. It was more geared towards the particular trade being discussed.

honestfool84
06-09-2008, 09:55 PM
What I mentioned was just one example of why seemingly lopsided trades can occur....but obviously as we have seen finance and other factors can come into play as well. It was more geared towards the particular trade being discussed.

i was just joking, actually. had to throw that in.

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 09:57 PM
i was just joking, actually. had to throw that in.

Gotcha'. Especially considering THIS particular season of lopsided trades of historical proportions.

Nbadan
06-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Sign Thomas and spend the MLE on a small forward.........and the LLE on a PG

mrspurs
06-10-2008, 07:26 AM
keep him...we got players like him already....

urunobili
06-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Barnes has turned emo lately. I like him in a sign-and-trade or for the LLE but I wouldn't spend MLE money on him.

now the question here is on who you would spend it.... :stirpot:

i like Barnes for the Spurs... :toast

genomefreak13
06-11-2008, 08:21 AM
This is the guy would definitely help the spurs. Great athleticism, mid-range jumper and an excellent defender. His value to enhance, we must get a point guard that can consistently hit the three. Aside from this , I think it's time to see what Ian can do for us.

We need to pick up young athletic new guys to defend the post and make alley-opps.

mountainballer
06-11-2008, 10:06 AM

exactly. spurs need to use the full MLE on a somehow decent offensive player. splitting the MLE again for somehow decent defensive role players won't bring us back on track.

if there was a scenario that lands us Barnes for BAE money - great!
(what about using the TE from Beno in a S&T? it's similar to BAE money, but that way the player could be offered an additional year or two. this year could be a PO. thta would give the player some more security and might be the crucial point to get him to sign)

Marcus Bryant
06-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Bonner + Beno trade exception for Barnes in a S&T.

mountainballer
06-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Bonner + Beno trade exception for Barnes in a S&T.

as far as I know, a TE can't be combined with a player's salary in a trade. it can only be used to acquire a player, who makes exactly the same money (no 125%+100K rule), or less.

The Truth #6
06-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I like Barnes but am concerned that he would make Ime superfluous and wouldn't address our scoring need. However, I do think getting rid of Bonner is probably a good idea because Pop will probably never really trust him, and Bonner, though a cool guy, is sort of a spazz on the court who doesn't have the confidence we need to deliver consistently with the pressure of playing for Pop.

So, if we replaced Bonner with Barnes would we be cool with Tim, Oberto, Kurt and Ime as our bigs? It seems like we need more size but it could give us more versatility, especially for Pop's small ball lineup. It might work, but we would still need a one on one scorer.

rascal
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't expect Bonner to be on the team next year.

Pop has a history of getting rid of players that go into the doghouse or sit at the end of the bench and never get into the game.

LakerLanny
06-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Barnes would be a nice pickup, I think he would fit your system very well and perhaps more importantly he is the kind of guy who should be attainable based on salary, etc.

I would take a long hard look at him if I was RC Buford.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Don Nelson had this to say at Monday’s press conference for rookie picks Anthony Randolph and Richard Hendrix: “Matt Barnes and Cro, those guys will not be back, so there’s going to be some minutes there (at the forward spots). The team is going to take on a different shape, a different look. So there will be more opportunities for our youth.”

link (http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2008/07/01/well-well-well/)

MoSpur
07-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Supposedly Dallas is interested in Matt Barnes.

Spur-Addict
07-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Good for Baron.

Ocotillo
07-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Supposedly Dallas is interested in Matt Barnes.

they also are rumored to be throwing the full MLE and Diop.

SPURSGOAT
07-01-2008, 01:28 PM
link (http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2008/07/01/well-well-well/)

GO get him Pop and RC!

Sway
07-01-2008, 09:43 PM
I thinks the Spurs should go for it especially since he can be had on the cheap. He is athletic (40.5 in. vertical), plays good defense, is versatile, and has an ok shot. Signing him would unfortunately make Udoka the odd man out since Barnes is pretty much a bigger/better version Udoka.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Barnes would be a crafty pick up at this point. The Spurs might be able to get him for less than the MLE (though with Pietrus and Diop receiving the full MLE or close to I'm not entirely sure).

loveforthegame
07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Is Barnes still holding on to his stance that he'll only play for California teams?

I think he'd be a better pick up than Delfino.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 11:01 PM
We could do worse...

SequSpur
07-08-2008, 11:01 PM
$2.99

tav1
07-08-2008, 11:13 PM
No and Thank You. He's plan F or G.

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 02:33 AM
If we did do a trade for Bonner with Barnes, that leaves us pretty thin upfront don't you think?

Mark in Austin
07-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Barnes>>>Delfemale

Sissiborgo
07-09-2008, 05:33 AM
My opinion we should get Correy Maggettte:D he can score and plays good ball..

Spurs Brazil
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Now that we signed Mason I'd like to see the Spurs sign Barnes with the LLE or the rest of MLE

mardigan
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Now that we signed Mason I'd like to see the Spurs sign Barnes with the LLE or the rest of MLE

Would he sign for that? If so I would be all for it.

Spuradicator
07-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Signing Barnes would really make me happy.

rj215
07-09-2008, 07:55 PM
god how the hell did it come to this? we're thinking of ways to lure matt barnes for LLE.....way to go Spurs FO.....2010 better be worth it...

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2008, 07:59 PM
god how the hell did it come to this? we're thinking of ways to lure matt barnes for LLE.....way to go Spurs FO.....2010 better be worth it...

Let's see, we fans were counting on free agent movement leaguewide shaking out such that Maggette was stuck taking the MLE or that Denver wouldn't match a full MLE offer to JR Smith. Both were crapshoots at best. The Spurs went after Maggette because they could before the signing moratorium was lifted. Locking themselves up with JR Smith for a week could have been quite costly at this point in free agency.

rj215
07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Let's see, we fans were counting on free agent movement leaguewide shaking out such that Maggette was stuck taking the MLE or that Denver wouldn't match a full MLE offer to JR Smith. Both were crapshoots at best. The Spurs went after Maggette because they could before the signing moratorium was lifted. Locking themselves up with JR Smith for a week could have been quite costly at this point in free agency.

yeah i know how it happened but i guess i'm just :depressed

SRJ
07-09-2008, 09:14 PM
keep him...we got players like him already....

We...the San Antonio Spurs...average age 43 with the collective athleticism of a floor safe...have more than one player who is athletic, 6'7", and under 30 years old?

Who the fuck was I watching all last season??

mardigan
07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Who the fuck was I watching all last season??

The Toros?

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Maybe the Spurs sign Diawara and re-up Barry.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Maybe the Spurs sign Diawara and re-up Barry.

I'd like that.

Sway
07-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Ive been pimping Barnes here for a while now. I kind of see him as a more versatile and athletic Udoka. Not the best player, but it looks like he can be had on the cheap. We could do a lot worse...

T Park
07-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Barnes I like.

Spurs? I don't know how interested they are anymore. They used to be interested alot, they bringing him in multiple times to work out.

Sway
07-09-2008, 11:23 PM
He seems like a good fit, but I wonder if the FO thinks he isnt Spurs material due to the hard foul on James White.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:03 AM
I wonder what kind of $ he's going to be able to pull this offseason. He's not expected back with the Warriors.

jag
07-11-2008, 12:08 AM
The Spurs FO is so unpredictable with personnel choices...there are many popular FA's on Spurstalk, but rarely does that represent what's popular with the FO.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:09 AM
They've been interested in Barnes before. Just like with Mason and Thomas, the Spurs tend to track certain players they like and pick them up when they can.

NewJerSpur
07-11-2008, 12:12 AM
My only fear is that he may go to the Lakers (with Turiaf likely leaving for GS) or the Clippers (with his ex-teammate now on the roster and the team having money to spend although they don't always pony-up). If he can clear the City of Angels the Spurs may have just as good a shot at him this offseason as any other squad that has him on the radar.

sabar
I thought he didn't wanna leave california, has that changed?

spurman20
Barnes is a product of the system............he played mostly pf will at G State were he could use his quickness on the wing to beat his man....but when his on the floor your playn d with 4 while he waites for a fast break to happen........oh and he is awffffuuulllll shooting the ball.....not worth having

Marcus Bryant
I thought he didn't wanna leave california, has that changed?

Well, Oakland apparently wants him to leave.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Barnes is a product of the system............he played mostly pf will at G State were he could use his quickness on the wing to beat his man....but when his on the floor your playn d with 4 while he waites for a fast break to happen........oh and he is awffffuuulllll shooting the ball.....not worth having

Would it not benefit the Spurs to have a 3 who can play the 4? Yeah, he regressed on his shooting a little last season. Still, rebounds well and can play in an up and down game, which of course is what the Spurs play a lot of in the regular season.

NewJerSpur
07-11-2008, 12:16 AM

Barnes can spread the floor, take bigger less mobile defenders usually assigned to him off of the dribble, and has good range. He is also a good, long defender who is a tough rebounder despite his lack of gerth.

spurman20
07-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Would it not benefit the Spurs to have a 3 who can play the 4? Yeah, he regressed on his shooting a little last season. Still, rebounds well and can play in an up and down game, which of course is what the Spurs play a lot of in the regular season.

The thing with the spurs is they do not want to play fast cause it takes Tim out of the game......If Barnes could play D at all he might would help but lets say you have him on the floor at the 4 with tim manu tony and now mason....He could help in certain games but again......it would put pressure on the other spurs to defend even more. I think that is the problem with our team is our D is slipping.....we are never gonna consistantly outscore LA PHX GS HELL MAYBE EVEN PORLAND AND DENVER AND LETS THROW IN SEATTLE......WE NEED TO GO BACK TO STRONG D.......

SPURSGOAT
07-11-2008, 12:25 AM
The question is can we get Barnes with LLE kind of money...

NewJerSpur
Barnes did a pretty good job defending the league MVP in the 2007 playoffs when Nellie decided to play small ball (which Pop is not adverse to even when he hasn't always had the personnel to pull it off successfully).

Marcus Bryant
The thing with the spurs is they do not want to play fast cause it takes Tim out of the game......If Barnes could play D at all he might would help but lets say you have him on the floor at the 4 with tim manu tony and now mason....He could help in certain games but again......it would put pressure on the other spurs to defend even more. I think that is the problem with our team is our D is slipping.....we are never gonna consistantly outscore LA PHX GS HELL MAYBE EVEN PORLAND AND DENVER AND LETS THROW IN SEATTLE......WE NEED TO GO BACK TO STRONG D.......

The thing is that the Spurs often play fast. Barnes is certainly not any worse at defense than Finley or Barry.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:26 AM
The question is can we get Barnes with LLE kind of money...

Indeed.

NewJerSpur
07-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Should come cheap after the year he had last season...another plus in an over-valued FA market.

spurman20
07-11-2008, 12:27 AM
The thing is that the Spurs often play fast. Barnes is certainly not any worse at defense than Finley or Barry.

Oh I agree with that....thats why we should sign those to clowns either....I like Mo Evens better......He has similar skill set to barnes but is stronger and a better shooter.....and a great defender......I would love to have this guy with the LLE

loveforthegame
07-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Him and Baron Davis are good friends. If Barnes still stands by his stance of only playing for CA teams then I can see him going to the Clippers.

I'd like to see him here but I just don't see it happening. One of his complaints last year in GS was that he wasn't getting enough minutes. Well, he wouldn't be getting many here either.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Him and Baron Davis are good friends. If Barnes still stands by his stance of only playing for CA teams then I can see him going to the Clippers.

Yeah, could be.

NewJerSpur
07-11-2008, 12:39 AM

I'd like to see him here but I just don't see it happening. One of his complaints last year in GS was that he wasn't getting enough minutes. Well, he wouldn't be getting many here either.

That would probably depend on his role. He went from getting major minutes in the playoffs prior to last season as a core player in GS's resurgence to spending a great deal of time in Nellie's doghouse while he regularly re-configured and shortened his rotation. He could receive a decent amount of minutes on the Spurs as the Rooks come along or if they don't pan out and he proves himself a valuable commodity (especially if he helps in giving the team more offensive flexibility with the potential of producing more fast-break opportunities.

This is all speculation on my part and really hinges on him leapfrogging Cali, but the team might still have him in their sights and he is definitely there to be had for cheap like many Spur acquisitions.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Bonner shoots the trizzay. Nellie likes bigs who can do that...

rj215
07-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Bonner shoots the trizzay. Nellie likes bigs who can do that...

Bonner for SJAX??????????? :drunk

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:13 AM
If we are talking about him, he is not coming...

angelbelow
07-11-2008, 01:41 AM
i dont think we can pry kelena so we may have to settle for him, if hes even interested.

tp2021
07-14-2008, 05:22 PM
From our friend Ludden.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-summerleaguenotes071408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This is the part that is of relevance.

Belinelli could be in line for additional playing time this season. Stephen Jackson and Corey Maggette will start on the wings, but Mickael Pietrus and Matt Barnes won’t be back and Kelenna Azubuike isn’t signed yet, possibly leaving a regular role off the bench for Belinelli. Unless, of course, Golden State’s newest rookie takes all the minutes.

So they are content in letting him walk? I don't know how much interest he draws from the rest of the league.

spurman20
07-14-2008, 05:31 PM

Yes I think it would I just would prefer George to Barnes because I think he is the better defender. If it was scoring then I would go with Barnes.

spurman20
07-14-2008, 05:33 PM

The spurs play fast but not streetball which is what bares is use to. And rarely do we ever go super small where he would play the 4 and use his speed to his advantage. Our best player is duncan, if you play fast you take him out of the game.

SPURSGOAT
07-14-2008, 05:35 PM
From our friend Ludden.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-summerleaguenotes071408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This is the part that is of relevance.

So they are content in letting him walk? I don't know how much interest he draws from the rest of the league.

Go get him RC!!

oligarchy
07-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Yes I think it would I just would prefer George to Barnes because I think he is the better defender. If it was scoring then I would go with Barnes.

You think, but the problem is your thoughts suck. You should try watching people play. It may help you understand what people are, and aren't good at. For example, Devean George is poor at about just about everything, including perimeter defense. He has serviceable post defense on smaller players, but that is about it. He isn't even a good at rebounding. Barnes is a better rebounder and defender, better at driving to the basket and a better outside shooter. Barnes > George. George defines scrub.

spurman20
07-14-2008, 07:42 PM
You think, but the problem is your thoughts suck. You should try watching people play. It may help you understand what people are, and aren't good at. For example, Devean George is poor at about just about everything, including perimeter defense. He has serviceable post defense on smaller players, but that is about it. He isn't even a good at rebounding. Barnes is a better rebounder and defender, better at driving to the basket and a better outside shooter. Barnes > George. George defines scrub.

Well again the free agent barnes is such a good all around player that acording to his agent he has not gotten 1 offer. Well Devin has gotten offers from the Cavs, Mavs, and Rockets and has fielded calls from the Spurs Lakers and Heat. Maybe you should inform the FOs of all the NBA how good Barnes is and how George sucks. You talent evaluation sucks at best.

Futher more, If you had read my posts you would know that I would only advocate this move as a counter move to other teams who have drafted and developed players whom we have no answer for....ie...David West.

George did an excellent job on West last year in the first round of the playoffs, he can also defend against smaller players do to his size and 7-4 wingspan.

Stick to NBA Live boy!

oligarchy
07-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Well again the free agent barnes is such a good all around player that acording to his agent he has not gotten 1 offer. Well Devin has gotten offers from the Cavs, Mavs, and Rockets and has fielded calls from the Spurs Lakers and Heat. Maybe you should inform the FOs of all the NBA how good Barnes is and how George sucks. You talent evaluation sucks at best.

Futher more, If you had read my posts you would know that I would only advocate this move as a counter move to other teams who have drafted and developed players whom we have no answer for....ie...David West.

George did an excellent job on West last year in the first round of the playoffs, he can also defend against smaller players do to his size and 7-4 wingspan.

Stick to NBA Live boy!

Links to anything you stated? Perhaps it is your super-duper inside knowledge, you know, being an agent and all?

Funny how my talent evaluation sucks, but you say Dragic can't defend, and George is a better defender than Barnes. Also, simply because one may, or may not, have received offers could simply be because of attitude.

Can a Mavs fan or Lakers speak to Devean George please? I think a Mavs fan might be able to speak to both players better as well.

Sway
07-14-2008, 08:58 PM

Stick to NBA Live boy!

Dude give it up! You are the only person Ive seen on this site pimping George. You are also the only person on this site that doesnt think George sucks ass. Barnes isnt the best player but he is a hell of a lot better than George.

spurman20
07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Dude give it up! You are the only person Ive seen on this site pimping George. You are also the only person on this site that doesnt think George sucks ass. Barnes isnt the best player but he is a hell of a lot better than George.

Did you sneak across the border or are you hear legally? Who is pimping George? Read the threads dumb ass. You dont watch many spurs games or you would know we are lacking a tweener defender. That is the only reason I would want Devin.

Barnes is a scrub who nellie made look like a Ok sub.

You must have forgotten how D West, B Diaw, L Odom, Dirk and Bass, and I can go on, anyone with a 6-7,6-9 tweener has destroyed us! We have no one on the roster to guard these guys.

Did you forget how goofy we looked rotating Thomas, Duncan, Oberto, Udoka on these guys and having them go off on us?

The spurs have gotten away from what they use to do and teams are on to it. Ask you mom if you can stay up and watch as we make D west look like Karl Malone. Then next year we can all talk about what went wrong and not fix it!

oligarchy
07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Did you sneak across the border or are you hear legally? Who is pimping George?
You are one racist idiot. HEAR is different in meaning than HERE. Just to let you know. Idiot.

Barnes defends better and rebounds much much better than Devean. Devean is the scrub.

spurman20
07-14-2008, 09:30 PM
You are one racist idiot. HEAR is different in meaning than HERE. Just to let you know. Idiot.

Barnes defends better and rebounds much much better than Devean. Devean is the scrub.

Keep believing that that, and maybe if you leave a tooth under your pillow a little fairy will leave you a peso under it.

oligarchy
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Keep believing that that, and maybe if you leave a tooth under your pillow a little fairy will leave you a peso under it.

Now I'm Hispanic too and you're trying to make fun of me with some peso smack talk? You need to be banned. Mr. Agent.. lol. Seriously, get off the internet before you wake your mom up. Stop pretending to know anything, or be anything, you prepubescent teen.

Sway
07-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Did you sneak across the border or are you hear legally?

Huh?!? Where the fuck did that come from? Dude you are a fucking idiot. Way to go the xenophobic route.

Btw, if you are going to ask an asinine question at least ask it right. Yes I can hear legally, my hearing is actually quite good.

Who is pimping George?

You are dumb ass. If I didn’t know better I would think you are his gay porn agent.

Read the threads dumb ass.

Have you looked at your threads? God damn kid get Hooked back on Phonics. You are one illiterate bastard.

That is the only reason I would want Devin.

I’m going to go with Option B: You got some Brokeback Mountain type love for him.

spurman20
07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Huh?!? Where the fuck did that come from? Dude you are a fucking idiot. Way to go the xenophobic route.

Btw, if you are going to ask an asinine question at least ask it right. Yes I can hear legally, my hearing is actually quite good.

You are dumb ass. If I didn’t know better I would think you are his gay porn agent.

Have you looked at your threads? God damn kid get Hooked back on Phonics. You are one illiterate bastard.

I’m going to go with Option B: You got some Brokeback Mountain type love for him.

Thats all u got? Brokeback Mountain??? You got a thang for white cowboys dont ya.

Sway
07-14-2008, 10:19 PM
I got a thang for white cowboys.

Fixed!

ducks
07-20-2008, 09:55 AM
would the rest of the mle get him?

SenorSpur
07-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Of all the players that remain in the FA "bargain basement bin", this is the guy the Spurs should target.

angelbelow
07-20-2008, 01:53 PM
at the very least he is an active rebounder and average-above average spot up shooter.

NewJerSpur
07-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Go get'em guys....guys meaning Pop & R.C. of course, just in case they're reading this. ;)

tp2021
07-20-2008, 01:59 PM
RC is.

NewJerSpur
07-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Well, that's good to know. :lol

Lebowski Brickowski
07-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Barnes is undervalued, probably from the year he had last season.

I think he makes under 1 mil right now. And he can, and has, played better than he did for Nellie last year.

I'm sure he could be had for the rest of the MLE. I'm suprised he hasn't been signed.

Gino2882
07-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Barnes is undervalued, probably from the year he had last season.

I think he makes under 1 mil right now. And he can, and has, played better than he did for Nellie last year.

I'm sure he could be had for the rest of the MLE. I'm suprised he hasn't been signed.

I agree about him being a bit undervalued. However, I think Kori has touched on this, but Barnes really likes the West Coast. It may be tough for him to want to leave and this may be why he has yet to sign with another team.

SenorSpur
07-20-2008, 09:49 PM
I agree about him being a bit undervalued. However, I think Kori has touched on this, but Barnes really likes the West Coast. It may be tough for him to want to leave and this may be why he has yet to sign with another team.

....or it could be that Barnes has not generated any legitimate interest from any teams. Which, if true, is not hard to imagine since he didn't generate much interest last year. Proof again, that his contributions have been undervalued.

Perhaps the Spurs are simply and strategically waiting out the market, hoping to get a great bargain.

ducks
07-20-2008, 09:53 PM
rember they waited out a fa last year

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Shouldn't we wait until we resign KT before we think about Barnes? If KT chooses to go elsewhere, we could be left with a roster that is backcourt heavy and thin on bigs.

ducks
07-20-2008, 10:21 PM
spurs have already talked to kt
market will determine how much money he makes

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 10:29 PM
But if KT signs somewhere else, we'll need the rest of the MLE and the LLE for bigger bodies, right? It sure seems like this is the best fit for KT, but you never know.

ducks
07-20-2008, 10:31 PM
you can not get a big for the lle
you would have to trade to get a big

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 10:33 PM
you can not get a big for the lle
you would have to trade to get a big

Not even a fatass zombie?

ducks
07-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Not even a fatass zombie?

why waste the money
you might as well sign a guy on the summer league for that
and try to develop him

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 10:44 PM
But if KT signs somewhere else, we'll need the rest of the MLE and the LLE for bigger bodies, right? It sure seems like this is the best fit for KT, but you never know.

Well the management is not dumb. They know their needs. If they sign Barnes (which would be an excellent signing for 2M that helps us at the 3 spot) then they have other plans in place.

Managing is a chain of events linked together, not individual ideas.

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 10:45 PM
why waste the money
you might as well sign a guy on the summer league for that
and try to develop him

How much of the MLE do we have left?

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 10:45 PM
~1.9 M

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 10:49 PM
~1.9 M

Is it realistic to hope for a decent big with that "chump change?"

ducks
07-20-2008, 10:50 PM
that is more money then you will make your entire life

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 10:54 PM

That's why I used these: "" :p:

SequSpur
07-20-2008, 10:55 PM

stfu.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:02 PM
I hope for a guy like Barnes. We badly need a bench guy who can score.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:05 PM
I hope for a guy like Barnes. We badly need a bench guy who can score.

He is a good defender which is what I am excited about. If we get a guy like Barnes, when you take into consideration we signed Mason and probably Hill, our team D just got better.

We also need a guy with some "edge", Barnes has that. He plays to win.

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 11:11 PM
He is a good defender which is what I am excited about. If we get a guy like Barnes, when you take into consideration we signed Mason and probably Hill, our team D just got better.

We also need a guy with some "edge", Barnes has that. He plays to win.

But what happens if KT does not re-sign? It's Tim, Fab, an unproven Ian and Matt Bonner?

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:25 PM
But what happens if KT does not re-sign? It's Tim, Fab, an unproven Ian and Matt Bonner?

Well if KT does not sign, I do think it will be a curveball, and they probably have this plan of action up in the office:

Plan A: KT signs, go after Barnes and maybe a back up big in Skinner/Brown

Plan B: KT not sign, go after bigs with MLE/LLE such as Skinner/Brown, explore trade avenues. Still look at Barnes.

Plan C, D, E and F

KT signing with us does not effect our MLE or LLE so we can still sign Barnes under each scenario. In either scenario we are still going to need a guy like Barnes and another big.

I do not think Skinner/Brown + Barnes is that much worse than KT and Barnes. Of course I would rather have KT, but if you look at the scenarios, even if it is not Barnes, they work out the same pretty much. You are still going to sign a big and then still have Duncan, Oberto, Ian and Bonner.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:27 PM
They have an entire system in place. They plan ahead. So they do not do anything without taking the entire picture into account.

For example: they will not sign Barnes and then 3 weeks later go: damn, that Barnes signing costs us...If they make him an offer, it will be because they are going in one direction that fits the plan. His signing will not be looked at in an isolated manner.

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Well if KT does not sign, I do think it will be a curveball, and they probably have this plan of action up in the office:

Plan A: KT signs, go after Barnes and maybe a back up big in Skinner/Brown

Plan B: KT not sign, go after bigs with MLE/LLE such as Skinner/Brown, explore trade avenues. Still look at Barnes.

Plan C, D, E and F

KT signing with us does not effect our MLE or LLE so we can still sign Barnes under each scenario. In either scenario we are still going to need a guy like Barnes and another big.

I do not think Skinner/Brown + Barnes is that much worse than KT and Barnes. Of course I would rather have KT, but if you look at the scenarios, even if it is not Barnes, they work out the same pretty much. You are still going to sign a big and then still have Duncan, Oberto, Ian and Bonner.

I agree with the scenarios, but I'm not sold on Skinner or Brown. KT is a priority!

SequSpur
07-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Matt Barnes < Matt Bonner's Granny

spurman20

I think spurs will get with Jersey to see about grabbing a big from them. They are rumored to be looking to move Williams Boone and or Kyrstic. They have 18 players on thier roster and can only carry 15 so they have got to move someone.

Oh they just signed Dooling form Orl. They will look to deal a couple guys and might be willing to accept a couple second rounders or a first in 2011 to clear room for thier run at LJ.

spurman20
But I think KT will sign for 2yrs.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:36 PM
I agree with the scenarios, but I'm not sold on Skinner or Brown. KT is a priority!

I think that is why he is plan A. But the rest of the plans do not change much regardless of KT. KT would be better than Skinner or Brown, but the way our team is set up, it all depends heavily on the big 3 being ultra productive.

Other teams have big 3's, but none rely on them as much as the Spurs imo. It is a gamble that has paid off big time for the Spurs, but one that has made it hard to repeat and now maintain as the Spurs get older (Duncan, Bowen and Gino).

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:41 PM
I think spurs will get with Jersey to see about grabbing a big from them. They are rumored to be looking to move Williams Boone and or Kyrstic. They have 18 players on thier roster and can only carry 15 so they have got to move someone.

Oh they just signed Dooling form Orl. They will look to deal a couple guys and might be willing to accept a couple second rounders or a first in 2011 to clear room for thier run at LJ.

This is what I have been saying. But as some others pointed out, I do not know that just because they have overload, that they would be willing to "dump" players for just picks.

If we could land Boone for our TE or for second round picks + cash I would be so happy. I watch pretty much every game for every team and I truly think that Boone was the best out of all those mentioned. He would provide the interior defense, athleticism and rebounding the Spurs need and he is young. If we could somehow manage to get Ian living up to his potential, get Boone and get Tiago in a year or two, our young big men would be very nice.

Just do not know how much they would be willing to get rid of Boone, Williams or Krstic.

NewJerSpur
07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
I'd take Boone over Krstic and Williams.

Man of Steel
07-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Suns fan forum website says Barnes is joining Phoenix

ss1986v2
07-20-2008, 11:51 PM
scratch barnes...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/07/20/20080720barnes.html

Free-agent forward Matt Barnes is scheduled to arrive in Phoenix Monday, expecting to sign a one-year veteran's minimum deal with the Suns after completing a physical.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:52 PM
That would be a very nice pick up for the Suns. Replace Gordan with Barnes and you do not lose a ton of offense, but get much better D.

tsb2000
Seriously, we let a player like Barnes go to the freaking Suns for minimum? :pctoss

DPG21920
scratch barnes...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/07/20/20080720barnes.html

Vets min? You have got to be shitting me.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Well, good pick up by the Suns. I guess he thinks he can make more money next year if he plays well.

NewJerSpur
07-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Damn, that'll really suck. Could've used him to defend a guy like Diaw....now they'll likely be playing on the same team. We'll see what happens I guess.

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Barnes is getting waaay too much love on this thread. To date, he's proven nothing!

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Barnes is getting waaay too much love on this thread. To date, he's proven nothing!

Read my post about him, I said he will not put the Spurs over the top, but allow us to fill a need, up our D and let us maintain.

spurman20
07-20-2008, 11:58 PM
This is what I have been saying. But as some others pointed out, I do not know that just because they have overload, that they would be willing to "dump" players for just picks.

If we could land Boone for our TE or for second round picks + cash I would be so happy. I watch pretty much every game for every team and I truly think that Boone was the best out of all those mentioned. He would provide the interior defense, athleticism and rebounding the Spurs need and he is young. If we could somehow manage to get Ian living up to his potential, get Boone and get Tiago in a year or two, our young big men would be very nice.

Just do not know how much they would be willing to get rid of Boone, Williams or Krstic.

They have to dump players, you can only have 15 on your roster. They are also not interested in having any contracts go beyond 2010. So they have only two ways to go. Take picks in the future or trade several players for one whos salaries match whos contract ends 2010.

They are biulding a young core to entice LB to sign with them and to offer Clev a nice package of picks and players to do a sign and trade.

GM for Jersey has said they dont wanna give Krystic away but hinted if he was offered a good draft pick he would be willint to trade because he knows they cant offer him a long term deal.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:59 PM
If we are talking about him, he is not coming...

My post from earlier on this thread, lol.

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Read my post about him, I said he will not put the Spurs over the top, but allow us to fill a need, up our D and let us maintain.

I'm not saying he's shitty. I'm just saying our money could be spent more prudently.

knee-knee-3
07-21-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm not being sarcastic: what has Barnes ever proven defensively?

spurman20
07-21-2008, 12:02 AM
I'd take Boone over Krstic and Williams.

Krystic is the scorer of the bunch a big who can get 15-17ppg and 7-8rpg so I would go with him first.

Williams is the pot smoking shotblocker that we need if he could put the pipe down. Many believe if he stays clean he is a future allstar.

Boone is soft, and just an avg defender. Tends to not play hard all the time, but is a balance of scoring, rebounding and can alter shots...not a shot blocker.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:02 AM
They have to dump players, you can only have 15 on your roster. They are also not interested in having any contracts go beyond 2010. So they have only two ways to go. Take picks in the future or trade several players for one whos salaries match whos contract ends 2010.

They are biulding a young core to entice LB to sign with them and to offer Clev a nice package of picks and players to do a sign and trade.

GM for Jersey has said they dont wanna give Krystic away but hinted if he was offered a good draft pick he would be willint to trade because he knows they cant offer him a long term deal.

They only have 15 players under contract right now and there future is filled with options that they can either pick up or not for 2010/2011. So they really do not have to get rid of anyone. They can let them play, up their value or use them in sign and trades.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_jersey.htm

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not saying he's shitty. I'm just saying our money could be spent more prudently.

How? We only have two, ~2M dollar contracts to offer. Who can we get for that money better than Barnes?

spurman20
07-21-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not being sarcastic: what has Barnes ever proven defensively?

Barnes is crap, no one wanted him he will be crap in Phx. He wouldnt fit in S.A. I dont know why so many people love this guy. I would much rather have KA from the warriors who only got 3mil pr year than barnes.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Krystic is the scorer of the bunch a big who can get 15-17ppg and 7-8rpg so I would go with him first.

Williams is the pot smoking shotblocker that we need if he could put the pipe down. Many believe if he stays clean he is a future allstar.

Boone is soft, and just an avg defender. Tends to not play hard all the time, but is a balance of scoring, rebounding and can alter shots...not a shot blocker.

I disagree. Krstic is the best scorer, however Boone is by far the best rebounder and defender. Look at his numbers. He is not a prolific shot blocker like Williams, but way better overall imo. That is why he started and played way more than Williams.

We are splitting hairs however, because if we got any of those 3 that combined with Mason would be an "A" of an off-season.

knee-knee-3
07-21-2008, 12:07 AM
How? We only have two, ~2M dollar contracts to offer. Who can we get for that money better than Barnes?

I should affix an * to the rest of my posts, because this is all moot if we resign KT.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Barnes is crap, no one wanted him he will be crap in Phx. He wouldnt fit in S.A. I dont know why so many people love this guy. I would much rather have KA from the warriors who only got 3mil pr year than barnes.

Thats the point. The Spurs do not have 3M per year to spend. They have 2 contracts for less than 2M. There is a big difference between the vet. min for 1 year and 3M per year for 3 years.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:09 AM
I should affix an * to the rest of my posts, because this is all moot if we resign KT.

Even if we sign KT, we can still sign other FA for our two contracts (MLE/LLE) and Barnes for that money is very solid.

spurman20
07-21-2008, 12:10 AM
They only have 15 players under contract right now and there future is filled with options that they can either pick up or not for 2010/2011. So they really do not have to get rid of anyone. They can let them play, up their value or use them in sign and trades.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_jersey.htm

If they sign CDR and they just signed dooling and still hold Krystics rights so that is 17. They must have dumped Amrstrong. Thats still 2 more than allowed.

This is one reason Philli who loves Krystic hasnt made an offer I believe because they know Jersey will have to get rid of someone.

The FO of Jersey has already hinted at the fact Krystic and at least one other front line player is likely to be gone before training camp starts.

ElNono
07-21-2008, 12:11 AM
He's gone. Time to lock this thread and move on.

knee-knee-3
07-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Even if we sign KT, we can still sign other FA for our two contracts (MLE/LLE) and Barnes for that money is very solid.

What would the acquisition of Barnes mean for Udoka?

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:13 AM
If they sign CDR and they just signed dooling and still hold Krystics rights so that is 17. They must have dumped Amrstrong. Thats still 2 more than allowed.

This is one reason Philli who loves Krystic hasnt made an offer I believe because they know Jersey will have to get rid of someone.

The FO of Jersey has already hinted at the fact Krystic and at least one other front line player is likely to be gone before training camp starts.

I could see that happening, but I was just saying that they might not need to get rid of young, talented bigs for just picks. They can use those guys for the future and now and they have value.

spurman20
07-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Thats the point. The Spurs do not have 3M per year to spend. They have 2 contracts for less than 2M. There is a big difference between the vet. min for 1 year and 3M per year for 3 years.

The spurs had it befor they over paid for Mason. We gave him 3.75pr year.
They are gonna see who falls thru the cracks and try to scoop them up. But I wouldnt be surprised to see us try to trade for a player.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:15 AM
What would the acquisition of Barnes mean for Udoka?

Same thing it meant for him last year. Gives us another option.

spurman20
07-21-2008, 12:17 AM
I could see that happening, but I was just saying that they might not need to get rid of young, talented bigs for just picks. They can use those guys for the future and now and they have value.

True, I dont know why they would but it appears that the nets want to get rid of some young guys because they have to many right now.

knee-knee-3
07-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Same thing it meant for him last year. Gives us another option.

So will Barnes replace Barry?

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Essentially, except it will be an offense for defense substitution. Bones handled the ball, Barnes would not, so we would have to have him on the floor with a ball handler. He can shoot ok and get to the rim and finish, so it would not be as if he was totally invisible out there offensively, he just would not initiate the offense, although he does have decent handles.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:26 AM
But evidently the Spurs did not think he would fit or he just did not want to play in SA, not sure.

I have learned that if we talk about someone, that means our F.O. is going the completely different direction, which is why I posted earlier: if we are talking about him, he is not coming!

knee-knee-3
07-21-2008, 12:31 AM
But evidently the Spurs did not think he would fit or he just did not want to play in SA, not sure.

I have learned that if we talk about someone, that means our F.O. is going the completely different direction, which is why I posted earlier: if we are talking about him, he is not coming!

let's NOT talk about Le Bron til after 2010, ok?

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:33 AM
let's NOT talk about Le Bron til after 2010, ok?

why would we talk about james
he wants to be the first nba player to make one billion dollars
and does not care about a nba title

why would he come to a small market team like the spurs

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:34 AM
why would we talk about james
he wants to be the first nba player to make one billion dollars
and does not care about a nba title

why would he come to a small market team like the spurs

We can give him a billion Cabana dollars?

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:37 AM
We can give him a billion Cabana dollars?

why he deserves nothing

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:44 AM
why he deserves nothing

Did you just say Lebron deserves nothing?

anakha
07-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Did you just say Lebron deserves nothing?

Spurstalk Fact #821: ducks loves Tony Parker and hates Manu Ginobili and Lebron James.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 01:07 AM
He can hate Lebron for his motives, but he can not deny his talent.

ss1986v2
07-21-2008, 01:09 AM
He can hate Lebron for his motives, but he can not deny his talent.
obviously you dont know ducks...

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 01:09 AM
I saw howard the duck, loved it.

Lebowski Brickowski
07-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Very good pickup by Phx. He'll fit right in on O and provide good perimeter D.

That sux for us though. :bang