06-08-2008, 09:32 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_desagana_diop.jpg

DeSagana Diop | C
Born: Jan 30, 1982
Height: 7-0 / 2,13
Weight: 280 lbs. / 127,0 kg.
High School: Oak Hill Academy HS (VA)
Years Pro: 6

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/desagana_diop/index.html)

For the right price...

Bob Lanier
06-08-2008, 09:40 PM
He'd be a good addition to the Spurs, but it would come at a cost of leaving serious holes at the reserve guard positions.

Better off sticking with Kurt Thomas and Mahinmi, with some doses of Bonner and Oberto, and using your MLE on more pressing matters. It would be different if Diop had any semblance of an offensive game, but right now he'd be overly expensive as a 15-minute-per-game backup to Duncan, and the Spurs can't afford to have two lumbering big men on the court at the same time against most teams.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 09:42 PM
He'd be a good addition to the Spurs, but it would come at a cost of leaving serious holes at the reserve guard positions.

Better off sticking with Kurt Thomas and Mahinmi, with some doses of Bonner and Oberto, and using your MLE on more pressing matters. It would be different if Diop had any semblance of an offensive game.

Then he'd probably be even more expensive and we wouldn't be having this is discussion.

A.H 21-50
06-08-2008, 09:45 PM
i'm not high on this guy
could be good for the LLE

he's a little bit soft and didn't appear to progress but he can defend , rebound and block some shots

so for a good price yes but for the MLE for example no

angelbelow
06-08-2008, 09:48 PM
i think his lack of offensive skills will hurt us. we need to start getting more well rounded players. we can have bowen and diop on the floor at once because thats part of why we struggle to score.

Amarelooms
06-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Worst offensive player in the game....highly over-rated...Spurs would be wise to pass

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Worst offensive player in the game....highly over-rated...Spurs would be wise to pass

And they likely will. He can block shots (which he often gets into foul trouble too aggressively persuing the ball) and catch passes/rebounds for dunks and that's about it. He has a decent jumper in the paint when he actually takes it but nothing to go crazy over.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd be okay with it, but he doesn't stay on the court very much so Kurt Thomas gets more rebounds per game. Blocks would be nice, maybe not at that price tag.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2008, 10:28 PM
I love his D, but he's just too damn terrible on offense. :td

The Truth #6
06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I would rather resign KT and let Ian get minutes. Let's use our $ on bigger priorities.

Spurtacus
06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Duncan, Mahinimi, Oberto, Thomas. We have more pressing needs.

SenorSpur
06-08-2008, 11:19 PM
My preference to provide the type of shotblocking and paint presence the Spurs haven't had since Rasho. As has been mentioned, he doesn't have much of an offensive game and is very foul prone. If his price tag was reasonable, he would be worth a 2-year look. I wouldn't imagine his market value would be very high, seeing as how he wasn't a starter last year. I wouldn't give up more than 1/2 of the MLE for him.

timvp
06-08-2008, 11:26 PM
His offense makes it tough to sell. Although the Spurs did go after Joel Przybilla and he's basically the same player. Przybilla's a little bit better but Diop would probably cost a lot less.

LakerHater
06-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I was wondering about him!? I think he would be a good addition, for the right price!!

Man of Steel
06-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Sign him

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2008, 11:36 PM
I love his D, but he's just too damn terrible on offense. :td

Or we could ignore the center position and let teams score at will whenever TD is out of the game/in foul trouble.

We need someone who can watch TD's back defensively, Diop fits the bill.

Avitus1
06-08-2008, 11:45 PM
He sucks...

El_Mago
06-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Expect Diop to head back to Dallas.

Diop clashed with Avery a bit, and now that they have a new coach there, Dallas could possibly utilize him better.

Plus, he own's a home in Dallas and did enjoy playing for Cuban, and still has friends there.

I expect him to go to Dallas or re-up with the Nets.

tav1
06-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Too expensive for so little offense, and at the expense of a wing.

curtismedellin
06-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Nah

ducks
06-08-2008, 11:55 PM
you sign him with the lle
to clean up the glass
mle goes to smith

intlspurshk
06-09-2008, 12:38 AM
If he can get more rebounds (8RPG), he would be very useful even his offensive game sucks.

But he seems to like to get back to Dallas.

T Park
06-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Or we could ignore the center position and let teams score at will whenever TD is out of the game/in foul trouble.

I agree, but, theres only so much money to go around.

I think its an either or.....

timvp
06-09-2008, 12:44 AM
If the Spurs sign Diop, they better draft well and add scoring swingman and scoring backup point. Diop would solve problems as long as the Spurs find ways to fix other problems.

It's a difficult balancing act but if the Spurs thinking bringing in Diop and then rolling with Finley will work ....... they'll be in store for the Spurs averaging about 75 points per game next year.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:45 AM
How much more does Diop provide over Thomas? Thomas won't eat into your MLE at all. Plus he has a J and, well, veteran savvy.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-09-2008, 12:45 AM
If you can get him for the LLE, yup.

Otherwise, no.

T Park
06-09-2008, 01:01 AM
If you can address the scoring problems first, then hed be ok.

I just am not that high on him after getting Kurt Thomas and brining in Mahinmi.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 01:31 AM
They aren't going to give the full MLE to a 15 minute a night backup, are they?

T Park
06-09-2008, 01:31 AM
They've done stranger.

Although honestly, I don't know exactly how highly the Spurs regard Diop.

timvp
06-09-2008, 02:14 AM
If Diop was as good as even Samaki Walker offensively, he'd might be my number one choice in the offseason. But the truth is that outside of Jason Collins, Diop is the worst offensive player in the NBA.

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 03:58 AM

Thank you sir. :toast

Despite the fact that Duncan had his way on the glass, this team needs another "paint-patroler". There is no one else on the roster, other than Duncan, that is capable of doing that on a game-by-game basis. Some may say Ian will fit the bill, but it's too early to tell. Getting another, established, big of this caliber is a necessity now that Splitter isn't coming.

TDMVPDPOY
06-09-2008, 04:08 AM
how about mikki moore or brenda haywood or the other wiz center?

mrspurs
06-09-2008, 09:48 AM
by signing diop, it would scare kurt into not taking a paycut, because he knows diop isnt gonna help downlow.........go spurs go

eisfeld
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
how about mikki moore or brenda haywood or the other wiz center?

Moore, Haywood and Ethan Thomas would demand way more money than Diop. With Oberto, Duncan, Mahinmi under contract, and Thomas hopefully resigning there's no need to waste money on them.

Diop would be a nice fit, but the Spurs already have many big-men under contract. I believe a player who can score off the bench is of more importance than a defensive minded big.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Diop is not a starting NBA bigman. Yes, he has started before in his NBA career. But he hasn't broken 20 minutes a night yet. This isn't to say he wouldn't be a useful addition to the rotation, but I don't think he warrants using the full MLE on him, or even using part of it when you have more urgent needs elsewhere in the rotation.

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Diop is not a starting NBA bigman. Yes, he has started before in his NBA career. But he hasn't broken 20 minutes a night yet. This isn't to say he wouldn't be a useful addition to the rotation, but I don't think he warrants using the full MLE on him, or even using part of it when you have more urgent needs elsewhere in the rotation.

He hasn't proven himself worthy for a full MLE. Half MLE, maybe.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Diop for the LLE, or move along.

Spurs Brazil
06-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Pass

Re-sign KT

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Just say NO to DeSagana.

MoSpur
06-09-2008, 04:03 PM
A shot blocker is a good addition at the right price. Some team will probably overpay for his services. Hopefully not the Spurs.

hater
06-09-2008, 04:05 PM
can we get rid of Oberto and sign Diop? I would do this.

Ocotillo
06-09-2008, 04:12 PM
can we get rid of Oberto and sign Diop? I would do this.

I don't think the Spurs would. I like what Diop would bring in shot blocking and rebounding but we would have to get rid of a big to do it. You propose Oberto, I think Fab would be a good bench guy within our system. That leaves either you don't bring back Thomas or you move Bonner.

I think Diop is a luxury you can't afford at this time when we need youth at the wing and what in the world would you do if Diop and Bowen were on the floor at the same time?

Bob Lanier
06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Sign Diop and flip him with Oberto and the first-rounder to Tau for Splitter.

Bruno
06-26-2008, 02:22 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/062608dnspomavslede.42e8c8a.html

DeSagana Diop may be headed back to the Mavericks.

The team for which Diop played nearly three seasons before getting traded to New Jersey in February may be prepared to offer him its full mid-level exception, an NBA source said Wednesday.

That would mean a starting salary of about $5.5 million for Diop, the 7-foot center who was popular not only with fans but in the locker room as a part-time starter with the Mavericks.

If it makes more financial sense for the Mavericks, they could orchestrate a sign-and-trade for Diop at a different salary. The Nets would have to re-sign Diop, then send him to the Mavericks for a player.

The Mavericks cannot begin discussing free agents until July 1, when negotiations can begin. Free-agent signings can begin

Full MLE for Diop :wow

SenorSpur
06-26-2008, 02:59 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/062608dnspomavslede.42e8c8a.html

Full MLE for Diop :wow

He aint worth all that. :sleep

mrspurs
06-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Duncan, Mahinimi, Oberto, Thomas. We have more pressing needs.

i disagree, other then duncan the rest of those players are choke artists that allowed duncan to play all buy himself pretty much all season....our biggest needs is someone to help duncan....and diop is just like mahinimi,oberto and kurt no rebounding,no shot blocking, and cant make easy noone in your face layups.....

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Fist overpaid Dampier now Diop, Mavs are really stupid

loveforthegame
06-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Diop was a big part of the Mavs before AJ fell in love with Bass and decided he was the better center.

Cuban and company know they'll have competition to sign him so I can see them overpaying him by offering the full MLE.

SenorSpur
06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Diop was a big part of the Mavs before AJ fell in love with Bass and decided he was the better center.

Cuban and company know they'll have competition to sign him so I can see them overpaying him by offering the full MLE.

Problem with that strategy is Bass IS NOT a center.

ManuTastic
06-26-2008, 10:42 AM
The only workable scenario I see here is to start Tim and KT, then use Diop and Oberto off the bench. Fabs plays best with Manu on the court, and Diop could protect the rim when Tim sits.
But then who the hell starts at SG? Christ, Pop, don't say Finley.

loveforthegame
06-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Problem with that strategy is Bass IS NOT a center.

I agree with you. I was only pointing out that AJ screwed Dallas by opting to play Bass there instead of Diop.

SenorSpur
06-26-2008, 11:34 AM
I agree with you. I was only pointing out that AJ screwed Dallas by opting to play Bass there instead of Diop.

Gotcha....and yest it's stupid.

MAvs have only 1 chip to play in FA and they're going to use it on Diop?

T Park
06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
i disagree, other then duncan the rest of those players are choke artists that allowed duncan to play all buy himself pretty much all season....our biggest needs is someone to help duncan....and diop is just like mahinimi,oberto and kurt no rebounding,no shot blocking, and cant make easy noone in your face layups.....

Oberto is a choker?

huh? wha?