06-08-2008, 09:55 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_jannero_pargo.jpg

Jannero Pargo | PG
Born: Oct 22, 1979
Height: 6-1 / 1,85
Weight: 175 lbs. / 79,4 kg.
College: Arkansas
Years Pro: 5

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jannero_pargo/index.html)

This player would fit Spurs Basketball.

NewJerSpur
06-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Perfectly...Speedy Claxton v2.0.

angelbelow
06-08-2008, 10:09 PM
hes a great scorer. i would love him here in sas.

Biggems
06-08-2008, 10:21 PM
is he really a FA? i had read somewhere a while back that he signed a contract extension last season with NO....maybe the sourse was wrong and he really is a FA.

I would definitely be for us signing him. This way Vaughn would never have to see the court...cause we would have TP, Pargo, Manu, and Barry who could run the point.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2008, 10:22 PM
:tu

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Yes.

Man of Steel
06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Sign him

Spurs Brazil
06-09-2008, 02:43 PM
He's a good option but I don't think we'll have the money to sign him

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Hopefully his streakiness will drive the price tag down a little bit. A guy who can score in bunches off the bench would be welcomed.

Spurminator
06-09-2008, 02:46 PM
This would be a huge upgrade at backup PG, and he could get minutes at the 2 as well. As far as bang-for-your-buck, there are few better options.

King
06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Perfectly...Speedy Claxton v2.0.

You mean a couple good games, even great ones, but mostly completely absent, however built up to demi-god status by Spurs fans?

1Parker1
06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I doubt the Hornets will let him walk. He had a great season by his standards and considering CP3 is slightly injury prone, I'm sure keeping him would be a priority.

urunobili
06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
he deserves full MLE... probably for our needs he is > Azubuike

MoSpur
06-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't see him leaving NOLA. Unless someone throws a lot of money his way.

jack sommerset
06-09-2008, 03:02 PM
He would be a great sign. He could replace both Finley and Barry.

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 07:30 PM
You mean a couple good games, even great ones, but mostly completely absent, however built up to demi-god status by Spurs fans?

More like a guy with a good amount of potential who's not afraid to take big shots at crucial points in big games even if conventional wisdom (and screaming fans) would tell him otherwise. He gave Parker a tougher time on defense than CP and Steve Nash combinedso he's no slouch at that end of the court either....don't know about the demi-god part.

exstatic
06-09-2008, 07:34 PM
he deserves full MLE... probably for our needs he is > Azubuike

Getting someone to spell Tony for 15 minutes is more important than starting the overhaul of our All Over 30 swingman rotation? I don't think so.

timvp
06-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I've pimped Pargo the last four summers as a guy to get for cheap. He's likely not cheap anymore so I'm going to have to not make it five summer in a row.

One thing I don't understand about Pop is he tries to make all his backup point guards into shoot-first chuckers ... but never actually wants to sign a shoot-first chucker. Players like Pargo, Eddie House and even Earl Boykins have been available for cheap for a few years now and Pop has insisted on turning non-chuckers into chuckers.

I don't get it. Pop spends half his time telling the backup point guards to shoot. Why not just get a guy who loves shooting?

This summers bargain basement point guard chucker looks to be Juan Dixon. Pop would never have to tell Dixon to shoot . . .

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Wouldn't be a pretty sight dealing with he and CP for the next few years, but such is the NBA. Would be nice to find a miraculous way to sign JP, but if it isn't in the cards someone esle has to be made available (probably through the draft) to give Manu a rest on the court so he isn't bringing the ball upcourt, setting the offense, and creating scoring opportunities whenever Tim and TP are resting.

BRHornet45
06-09-2008, 08:00 PM
sons I do not want to lose Pargo, but I think he will sign elsewhere to get a starting job or more money than we will offer him. There are a lot of people in N.O. who have a very stupid attitude about Pargo and they want him gone just because they are so spoiled by Chris Paul. Pargo is a shoot first point guard who is a very streaky player. However, when he is hot ... he is incredible and can carry the team offensively. He almost single handedly brought us back against the Spurs in the 4th quarter of game 7 (18 points in the 4th).

Sway
06-09-2008, 08:33 PM
One thing I don't understand about Pop is he tries to make all his backup point guards into shoot-first chuckers ... but never actually wants to sign a shoot-first chucker. Players like Pargo, Eddie House and even Earl Boykins have been available for cheap for a few years now and Pop has insisted on turning non-chuckers into chuckers.

I don't get it. Pop spends half his time telling the backup point guards to shoot. Why not just get a guy who loves shooting?

This summers bargain basement point guard chucker looks to be Juan Dixon. Pop would never have to tell Dixon to shoot . . .

:lmao

Dude Ive been thinking the same damn thing for a while now.

Its not just the PG, you see that with other positions as well. I dont get it...Its a lot easier to teach an offensive minded player to play defense than it is to teach a defensive player to make a damn shot.

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Use the second round of the draft for a backup PG.

ducks
06-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Yes.

how much ?

is he worth the mle?
is he worth half the mle?
I know you think jr is not worth that
what is this guy worth
rember that tp can play 35 minutes -37 minutes a game
manu can only pay less then 30

ducks
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Getting someone to spell Tony for 15 minutes is more important than starting the overhaul of our All Over 30 swingman rotation? I don't think so.

especially if spurs have to use the full mle for him

bigdog
06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Use the second round of the draft for a backup PG.

No. Use the first round of the draft for a backup PG.

Use Free Agency for the wing player.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 09:44 PM
No. Use the first round of the draft for a backup PG.

Use Free Agency for the wing player.

Use a first round pick on a player that will only average 15 minutes per game at the most for the next four years?

Don't think so...

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 09:51 PM
With the attention JP is likely garnering around the league after a good season and a very impresive postseason, he's likely to search ealsewhere than SA (starting with where he currently plays) for more money and a larger role....yet it would be interesting to see the different lineups that can be created given his versatility. He's more equipped for scoring than assists, but he's smart enough to run an offense and pick his spots. You could put him on the floor with Tony or Manu or even both at the same time. Gives your offense a little more flexibility.

bigdog
06-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Use a first round pick on a player that will only average 15 minutes per game at the most for the next four years?

Don't think so...

Well would you rather get a wing guy in the 1st round that might not be ready to contribute NOW?

a wing player is our biggest need by far, and I wouldn't take the risk of getting a guy in the draft that is unproven, and possibly not ready to contribute this upcoming season. That's where free agency comes in. Get a guy that has shown he can do something, without having a huge question mark about his game.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Well would you rather get a wing guy in the 1st round that might not be ready to contribute NOW?

a wing player is our biggest need by far, and I wouldn't take the risk of getting a guy in the draft that is unproven, and possibly not ready to contribute this upcoming season. That's where free agency comes in. Get a guy that has shown he can do something, without having a huge question mark about his game.

Spurs #1 FA priority should be an NBA-ready wing player. And their #1 draft priority should be a wing player, regardless of their NBA-readiness.

Spurs already have Parker, Vaughn, and Barry to play the PG position. Spending critical MLE dollars or a first rounder on a player that won't break double-digit minutes is not prudent.

Nbadan
06-10-2008, 01:02 AM
I agree back-up PG is less of a priority for the Spurs than a good swing-man...it's gonna take much more than the LLE to get Pargo from the Hornets to SA...

timvp
06-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Spurs #1 FA priority should be an NBA-ready wing player. And their #1 draft priority should be a wing player, regardless of their NBA-readiness.

Spurs already have Parker, Vaughn, and Barry to play the PG position. Spending critical MLE dollars or a first rounder on a player that won't break double-digit minutes is not prudent.Agree somewhat. However, if the better swingman options are off the board and RC has gotten good intel about Mario Chalmers from Bill Self, I'd be fine with Chalmers being drafted to be the backup point.

Chalmers is the only point guard I'd touch with the 26th pick. I'm not overly sold on him either but Self should have a pretty good idea if the kid is for real. Then at 45 you take the best swingman available in Weems, Forbes or Giddens. Maybe take a big if Hardin or Thompson fall.

It looks like a wing is the most likely outcome at 26 but it's not a certainty.

angelbelow
06-10-2008, 02:22 AM
thompson probably wont fall to 45th but either will chalmers so we either trade up or forget about either of those.

mrspurs
06-10-2008, 07:15 AM
I don't see him leaving NOLA. Unless someone throws a lot of money his way.

agreed.....why would NO let this guy go? unless there is a problem we dont know about.....:flag:

ace3g
06-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Hornets' Pargo Plans To Opt Out

New Orleans guard Jannero Pargo admitted on Tuesday that he will opt out of his contract later this month, according to The Times-Picayune.

The move will allow him to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but he still hopes to sign a long-term deal with the Hornets.

Head Coach Byron Scott claims that he wants Pargo back on the roster next season.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52938/20080611/hornets_pargo_plans_to_opt_out/

DarrinS
06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
A backup PG that can shoot the long ball?

Yes, please.

SPURSGOAT
06-11-2008, 06:28 PM
If we can get him for cheap; then yes. Rather use the second round of the draft for a backup PG though.

VaSpursFan
06-11-2008, 06:53 PM
he would be awesome on the second unit...teams would have to guard him. we definitely need more, capable scorers.

AFBlue
06-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Agree somewhat. However, if the better swingman options are off the board and RC has gotten good intel about Mario Chalmers from Bill Self, I'd be fine with Chalmers being drafted to be the backup point.

Chalmers is the only point guard I'd touch with the 26th pick. I'm not overly sold on him either but Self should have a pretty good idea if the kid is for real. Then at 45 you take the best swingman available in Weems, Forbes or Giddens. Maybe take a big if Hardin or Thompson fall.

It looks like a wing is the most likely outcome at 26 but it's not a certainty.

If Rush, Walker, Batum, Budinger, and even Lopez are off the board....yeah I could see the Spurs going Chalmers. His ability to play the combo guard role could be effective and his ability to shoot the long-range jumper is attractive.

Back to the thread title....no way the Spurs land this guy.

Spurs Brazil
06-11-2008, 09:05 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52938/20080611/hornets_pargo_plans_to_opt_out/

Hornets' Pargo Plans To Opt Out

Jun 11, 2008 4:34 PM EST
New Orleans guard Jannero Pargo admitted on Tuesday that he will opt out of his contract later this month, according to The Times-Picayune.

The move will allow him to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but he still hopes to sign a long-term deal with the Hornets.

Head Coach Byron Scott claims that he wants Pargo back on the roster next season.

urunobili
07-28-2008, 12:18 PM
dump... do you think there is any remote chance we could get this guy? that'd be a huge blow for the Hornets and would be a good addition to us... never liked him but last year he proved me wrong many times...

Ocotillo
07-28-2008, 12:41 PM
I kind of doubt he is on the radar due to the George Hill selection in the draft. With Vaughn under contract and Hill coming in, I think the FO is rolling the dice that the depth chart at point is complete.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Adding Pargo would be redundant.

DROB4EVER
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
How many pgs do we need?

Kindergarten Cop
07-28-2008, 02:16 PM

Kindergarten Cop
07-28-2008, 02:19 PM
How many pgs do we need?

Just to play Devil's advocate, if Pargo were added to run the point we could play Hill at his normal position at the 2 and he wouldn't have to suffer the growing pains of learning to be an NBA PG. I'm not saying that this will happen and in fact I don't want it to - but I just thought that I'd throw it out there.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Pargo's natural position is the 2.

For a bench scorer, we could do worse.

Tully365
07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I like him, but think at this point it would be better to develop George Hill. If Hill doesn't pan out, they can reevaluate the situation. The Spurs have three point guards & a combo guard in Roger Mason now and adding another point (unless they are considering waiving Vaughn) doesn't seem as pressing a need as adding another big guy.

SPURSGOAT
07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
No need for another combo guard we have enough already... enough with the pargo & livingston & insert pg/combo guard here... we are fine with what we have.

Sissiborgo
07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Great player he can Shoot he's quick and gives all he has so i like it!..

manufor3
08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Great player he can Shoot he's quick and gives all he has so i like it!..

+1

BOHOLANO#21
08-07-2008, 07:50 PM
signing him makes the FO looks bad. i think them agents are using the SPURS again in making a deal with other teams.:sleep