Marcus Bryant
06-08-2008, 10:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_mickael_pietrus.jpg

Mickael Pietrus | G/F
Born: Feb 7, 1982
Height: 6-6 / 1,98
Weight: 215 lbs. / 97,5 kg.
Years Pro: 4

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mickael_pietrus/index.html)

Athlete who can run with TP and Ian.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Has been looked down upon members here for his low BBIQ.

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 11:00 PM

Which is why he's underrated at this point.

Add to that the fact that he's one of the few unrestricted Free Agents, and you're looking at a very plausible solution to the Spurs' athletic swingman issue.

lefty
06-08-2008, 11:00 PM
I want Pietrus on our team.

NOW

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I'd go for Pietrus, definitely.

T Park
06-08-2008, 11:05 PM
if you strikeout on Azubuike, JR Smith, and others, then this guy.

Should be way down on the list. BBall IQ is piss poor, and doesnt exactly create his own shot very well.

SpursFan0728
06-08-2008, 11:08 PM
He would be 2nd on my list behind Azubuike mainly because he is more of a defensive forward. What we need is an offensive threat along wif our big 3.

SequSpur
06-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Pietrus Sucks.

lefty
06-08-2008, 11:09 PM
if you strikeout on Azubuike, JR Smith, and others, then this guy.

Should be way down on the list. BBall IQ is piss poor, and doesnt exactly create his own shot very well.

True.

But we'll get the IQ from our "old legs"

Pietrus can learn.

picnroll
06-08-2008, 11:13 PM
If this guy with his low IQ can't succeed in Nellie's undisciplined system he'd be an absolute, complete and total disaster with the Spurs.

Mr. Body
06-08-2008, 11:14 PM
You basically get more effort than JR Smith, a better court IQ than Smith, worse shooting, by far better defense, some rebounding, and by far a better attitude and team mentality. He's flawed but glows in comparison to Smith.

lefty
06-08-2008, 11:15 PM
You basically get more effort than JR Smith, a better court IQ than Smith, worse shooting, by far better defense, some rebounding, and by far a better attitude and team mentality. He's flawed but glows in comparison to Smith.

:tu

Man of Steel
06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I thought he was the white guy who wears a ton of gel on his hair?

But--okay--

Sign him

angelbelow
06-09-2008, 12:10 AM

that includes me and all of my warrior friends.

tav1
06-09-2008, 12:12 AM
3rd or 4th option.

timvp
06-09-2008, 12:14 AM
This guy has the worst basketball IQ of any perimeter player in the NBA. He's just a run and jump athlete. He's the type of player who wouldn't even make in Europe because he's too dumb once you slow down the tempo.

His stats look nice but a pile of bricks has more basketball IQ. Unless he comes damn cheap, I pass.

lefty
06-09-2008, 12:17 AM
This guy has the worst basketball IQ of any perimeter player in the NBA. He's just a run and jump athlete. He's the type of player who wouldn't even make in Europe because he's too dumb once you slow down the tempo.

His stats look nice but a pile of bricks has more basketball IQ. Unless he comes damn cheap, I pass.

Yeah, but man, can he jump for those rebounds.

Unlike Oberto

Aggie Hoopsfan

You really don't have a fucking clue about what you're talking about, do you?

tav1

The Spurs may need to split the MLE. If that's the case, Pietrus becomes more of an option.

Bonner sign and trade would be ideal.

intlspurshk
06-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I would rather throw all the MLE to JR Smith. Piertus at least want 4 million per year

picnroll
06-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Even Parker basically said he sucks. And they were friends. :lol

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 12:25 AM
You really don't have a fucking clue about what you're talking about, do you?

You're over here slobbering over JR Smith? Colonizing other threads with JR Smith manlove? Wow, that's a prodigious stiffy you've got there.

timvp
06-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Even Parker basically said he sucks. And they were friends. :lolYeah, true. That was funny :lol

Pietrus got mad at Parker because Parker said all the French players suck except for Diaw. Didn't Pietrus get cut from the National Team? His scrub brother plays more, IIRC. This Pietrus simply can't play basketball if the tempo slows.

picnroll
06-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Pietrus wasn't cut. He didn't even get an invite.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:34 AM
I can see Pietrus because basically he's what you would hope to pull out of #45, if not #26, an athletic wing player who can run the court and hit some shots on the kick out. He really wouldn't solve the Spurs more pressing issue which is scoring from someone outside of the Big 3.

T Park
06-09-2008, 12:34 AM

A better court IQ?

WTF player have you watched?

Pietrus is sequ esque stupid on the court.

Wake up.

T Park
06-09-2008, 12:35 AM
You're over here slobbering over JR Smith? Colonizing other threads with JR Smith manlove? Wow, that's a prodigious stiffy you've got there.

God, what are you, 14?

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Yet RC is a "lousy" GM...

timvp
06-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Pietrus wasn't cut. He didn't even get an invite.Ah, yes. Even better. Might as well sign Diop and play him at small forward. That's basically the perimeter court sense Pietrus will give you.

Only way I see Pietrus working is if he's solely an off the bench energy boost who plays small ball four. And came dirt cheap.

T Park
06-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Ah, yes. Even better. Might as well sign Diop and play him at small forward. That's basically the perimeter court sense Pietrus will give you.

Only way I see Pietrus working is if he's solely an off the bench energy boost who plays small ball four. And came dirt cheap.

If thats all the good he would do? I'd rather have Ricky Davis.

timvp
06-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I hope the Spurs don't fall for Pietrus or Delfino as "the answer" for their need on the perimeter. Both of those players are too dumb to trust in the postseason.

T Park
06-09-2008, 01:02 AM
I agree with you on Pietrus.

Delfino?

Eh, call me crazy, but I think working with Oberto and Ginobili would help him 10 fold.

objective
06-09-2008, 01:22 AM
count me in on the Pietrus bandwagon, such as it is.

I'm down for Pietrus, and I fully accept all of his flaws.

He doesn't come across as a smart guy, and I believe tales of his low basketball IQ. I'm not impressed by his stats because frankly his stats aren't at all impressive. I'm confident he'll never be better than he is right now, the player he is currently is his ceiling. He'll just be an inconsistant athlete who can't be counted on to make the intelligent basketball play and could be out of the league after this next contract because when his athleticism fades he'll have nothing left to contribute.

I know all that.

But imo he's the best, most gettable option for swing position without knowing how the draft turns out.

I don't believe Azubuike is a realistic option due him being restricted. JR Smith's history of brain-dead off the court behavior makes him too much of a charcater risk. His repeated driving violations and stop-sign running that killed a friend, and his run-in with a woman in a club where he was accused spitting on her, tearing her clothes, and spraying her with Moet; he told cops he was too drunk to remember what he did. That's just within the last calender year.

Pietrus can run the break, he can play strong man defense at times, and is a marginal shooter from 3 point land. Spurs need youth and athleticism, Pietrus brings that. Until he hits 29 or 30. So about 3 years.

Full MLE? Maybe not. But up to 4 million a year? Sure. Better Pietrus than Diop, Mourning, Mutombo, Javtokas or any one else that comes to mind. He'd be a bench contributor of energy and athleticism, or simply a starter in name only for 5-6 minutes a game before Ginobili enters the action. He'd probably never break double digits points for average and is just a role player.

You know what you're going to get and that's enough for me considering the UFA pool.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2008, 01:26 AM
I don't believe Azubuike is a realistic option due him being restricted. JR Smith's history of brain-dead off the court behavior makes him too much of a charcater risk. His repeated driving violations and stop-sign running that killed a friend, and his run-in with a woman in a club where he was accused spitting on her, tearing her clothes, and spraying her with Moet; he told cops he was too drunk to remember what he did. That's just within the last calender year.

Jack emptied a clip while under the influence of something and beat down some fans while sober.

Indazone
06-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Pietrus pissed off in Golden State. He says Nellie doesn't use him right (shades of Beno eh?) Pietrus thinks he's more a guard and can handle the rock. Wants more of a role in the offense.

Dingle Barry
06-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Slightly less dumb than Elson

Bruno
06-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Spurs have been said to be interested in him for years. I hope it's false and that Spurs won't sign him this summer. I don't think he would be horrible but there are avaialable players way much better than him.

When a coach choose Cedric Ferchaud over you, it means you sucks.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 08:15 AM
count me in on the Pietrus bandwagon, such as it is.

I'm down for Pietrus, and I fully accept all of his flaws.

He doesn't come across as a smart guy, and I believe tales of his low basketball IQ. I'm not impressed by his stats because frankly his stats aren't at all impressive. I'm confident he'll never be better than he is right now, the player he is currently is his ceiling. He'll just be an inconsistant athlete who can't be counted on to make the intelligent basketball play and could be out of the league after this next contract because when his athleticism fades he'll have nothing left to contribute.

I know all that.

But imo he's the best, most gettable option for swing position without knowing how the draft turns out.

Pietrus can run the break, he can play strong man defense at times, and is a marginal shooter from 3 point land. Spurs need youth and athleticism, Pietrus brings that. Until he hits 29 or 30. So about 3 years.

Full MLE? Maybe not. But up to 4 million a year? Sure. Better Pietrus than Diop, Mourning, Mutombo, Javtokas or any one else that comes to mind. He'd be a bench contributor of energy and athleticism, or simply a starter in name only for 5-6 minutes a game before Ginobili enters the action. He'd probably never break double digits points for average and is just a role player.

You know what you're going to get and that's enough for me considering the UFA pool.

Unfortunately all this is true.

picnroll
06-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Spurs have been said to be interested in him for years. I hope it's false and that Spurs won't sign him this summer. I don't think he would be horrible but there are avaialable players way much better than him.

When a coach choose Cedric Ferchaud over you, it means you sucks.
Maybe we should go with Cedric Ferchaud instead then. Is he expecting the MLE or better?

romain.star
06-09-2008, 08:58 AM
After TP, Mahinmi... signing Pietrus and picking Batum (if possible) would be interesting...

Damn, San Antonio is part of Texas... that's too many frenchies for this city.

mrspurs
06-09-2008, 09:05 AM
:rollin
If this guy with his low IQ can't succeed in Nellie's undisciplined system he'd be an absolute, complete and total disaster with the Spurs.

bobbybob0
06-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Ah, yes. Even better. Might as well sign Diop and play him at small forward. That's basically the perimeter court sense Pietrus will give you.

He sucked as a small ball 4 in Nellie's system this year.

1Parker1
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Even Parker basically said he sucks. And they were friends. :lol

:lol Really? When was this?

1Parker1
06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Slightly less dumb than Elson

:lol :tu That's basically how I see him. And possibly a better rebounder.

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 10:48 AM
When compared with the possibilities of Azibuke or Smith, Pietrus seems like the more likely target. It's possible that Pietrus could excel with superior coaching and discipline provided by the Spurs. T

James Jones may be a better scoring option, though he lacks Pietrus' athleticism and defensive prowess. Speaking of which, I've not seen a James Jones thread. Isn't he scheduled to be an unrestricted FA?

eisfeld
06-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Pass... Pietrus is not necessarily a bad player, but his Bball IQ is rather low. For cheap off the bench - why not. But it seems he is seeking a contract worth more than the half MLE. In this case... no thank you.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 10:53 AM
More than half the MLE, say $3m or whatever it is, probably isn't a bad price for him at all.

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
I can see him being with us next season since Pop has been interested in getting him for a couple fo seasons now... He might think that another French player that clicks with TP that would fit in with the team that can maybe be taught or might be better under the Spurs insteasd of Golden State. He would no doubt be coming off the bench for energy minutes and small ball. He can probably be had for maybe 3 mil; I would not be upset to see him on the bench next season as long as they don't go overboard and use the the whole MLE on him; that would be nutz.

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I can see him being with us next season since Pop has been interested in getting him for a couple fo seasons now... He might think that another French player that clicks with TP that would fit in with the team that can maybe be taught or might be better under the Spurs insteasd of Golden State. He would no doubt be coming off the bench for energy minutes and small ball. He can probably be had for maybe 3 mil; I would not be upset to see him on the bench next season as long as they don't go overboard and use the the whole MLE on him; that would be nutz.

How do you know Pop or Spurs FO have been interested in him?

If the Spurs are able to acquire him and he becomes an energy player off the bench, it'll be more energy than the Spurs have now from any other non-starter not named Ginobili.

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2008, 11:59 AM
How do you know Pop or Spurs FO have been interested in him?

I remember reading it a season or two ago someplace... might have been just a rumor...I will see if I can find the link...:wakeup

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 12:14 PM

Actually if you could read you'd know I want Kelenna, even ahead of J.R. Smith.

And you'd know that Pietrus is a bonehead too.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Actually if you could read you'd know I want Kelenna, even ahead of J.R. Smith.

And you'd know that Pietrus is a bonehead too.

Azubuike would be nice but there's scant evidence GSW will let him go. Pietrus is hardly an answer but is more likely for the Spurs than Smith.

Bruno
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
:lol Really? When was this?

Last December.
Parker told that despite having 9 French players in NBA, only Diaw and him were playing. When asked about Pietrus, he said "if Pietrus was a recognized NBA player, he would have received a new contract last summer."

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Last December.
Parker told that despite having 9 French players in NBA, only Diaw and him were playing. When asked about Pietrus, he said "if Pietrus was a recognized NBA player, he would have received a new contract last summer."

Ouch! I thought they were buddies... pretty harsh... :lol

spursfan98
06-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Pietrus is awesome but i'd rather have j.r. smith

hater
06-09-2008, 02:23 PM
If I had to pick between azubuke, barnes and pietrus. I would pick pietrus.

objective
06-09-2008, 03:20 PM
More than half the MLE, say $3m or whatever it is, probably isn't a bad price for him at all.

Exactly.

Let's keep it in context.

Matt Bonner got a 3 year deal for $3 million a year, and the Spurs gave him that deal nearly certain of 2 things: that he would likely sit most of the first year of the deal due to Horry still hanging around and that he would never be a starter.

The Truth #6
06-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Pietrus is more athletic and taller than Udoka, but as far as how they'd be used and what they bring to the team, their are too similar in my opinion. Pietrus duplicates what we use Udoka for in the small ball lineups, so in that sense I don't think he helps us overall. We need a scorer and he isn't it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I guess all you people jumping on the Pietrus bandwagon are overlooking the fact he's dumber than a bag of rocks...

It's funny when people say that all a guy with a negative bball IQ needs is a little coaching and he'll be fine. Yeah, that'll work out with set plays, but the guy's a liability in pressure situations, not exactly what we're looking for.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 05:52 PM
I guess all you people jumping on the Pietrus bandwagon are overlooking the fact he's dumber than a bag of rocks...

It's funny when people say that all a guy with a negative bball IQ needs is a little coaching and he'll be fine. Yeah, that'll work out with set plays, but the guy's a liability in pressure situations, not exactly what we're looking for.

And you're all over JR Smith's jock? :lol

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 05:55 PM

Look at the sig....he's all over Azubuike's jock.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 05:58 PM

Read Objective's dissertation on page 2. I don't think anyone on here thinks that Pietrus is some kind of savior or the long-term answer for youth and athleticism at the wing....but the Spurs could do a whole hell of alot worse.

I agree with Objective, this kid is the most likely candidate for the best price to solve the youth/athleticism question in the short term.

exstatic
06-09-2008, 06:34 PM

In order: Maybe, NO WAY(major bad BBIQ), definitely,yes, yes, NO (constant trade demands and general babyish attitude).

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Because you appear to be too stupid to apply a little reading comprehension, here's my order of preference:

1. Kelenna (the guy in my sig)
2. J.R. Smith
7. Pietrus (for the LLE, if that).

No, I don't have a 3-6, but that just crystallizes what I think of Pietrus, or anyone with the bball IQ of a single cell amoeba.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Because you appear to be too stupid to apply a little reading comprehension, here's my order of preference:

1. Kelenna (the guy in my sig)
2. J.R. Smith
7. Pietrus (for the LLE, if that).

No, I don't have a 3-6, but that just crystallizes what I think of Pietrus, or anyone with the bball IQ of a single cell amoeba.

Guess you'll be pissed when the Spurs sign him because they don't want to overpay for your #1/2 restricted FAs.

I'm not on the opposite side of this, though I do think Pietrus is better than you give him credit for. If I were you, I'd get used to the idea of Pietrus in a Spurs uni....seems more likely to happen than any other scenario at this point.

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Guess you'll be pissed when the Spurs sign him because they don't want to overpay for your #1/2 restricted FAs.

I'm not on the opposite side of this, though I do think Pietrus is better than you give him credit for. If I were you, I'd get used to the idea of Pietrus in a Spurs uni....seems more likely to happen than any other scenario at this point.

I agree; don't be surprised to see Pietrus on the team.. Especially if they can get him for a few mil... I would be fine with Pietrus coming off the bench.

bigdog
06-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I also think Pietrus has the best chance to be signed by the Spurs.

I like the ability or JR Smith, but he is a chucker, and is very streaky. When he comes to play, he's pretty good, but he's limited to jump shooting and dunks. When he isn't at his best, he's not very good.

I wouldn't mind if we got Kelenna, but we already have Udoka, and in my mind, they are very similar, with Udoka being the better defender. They are about the same size, and we need another wing that is taller, so that's why I would pass up Azubuike.

colargol
06-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Last December.

I guess Parker told that meaning he prefers for the French National team players being starters in their league (ACB, french league etc...) over NBA players without playing time.
That's it and he's right!

T Park
06-10-2008, 01:10 AM

The Spurs would give JR or Kelenna the MLE.

I don't see where you think the Spurs won't...

Nbadan
06-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Either Kelenna or Pietrus would be interesting pick-up for the Spurs

cze1860
06-10-2008, 01:12 AM
but i don‘t know

angelbelow
06-10-2008, 02:17 AM

true story.

AFBlue
06-10-2008, 06:06 AM
The Spurs would give JR or Kelenna the MLE.

I don't see where you think the Spurs won't...

Have the Spurs ever used the full MLE on a player?

Do the Spurs tend to overpay or stick to their fiscal guns and look for bargains?

Do the Spurs have multiple role player holes to fill, making it likely they'll split the MLE?

Not saying it can't happen, but I think it's far more likely that they get a "bargain" pick, whether it be Pietrus or someone else, to fill their wing spot.

timvp
06-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Pietrus is going to get the full MLE. IIRC, when teams have talked to the Warriors in the past about sign and trades, the contract other teams were willing to give him was at or above MLE.

I'm not sure which team it's going to be but Pietrus is likely going to get a full MLE offer ... especially in this weak free agent class. He doesn't have baggage, he has decent upside and he's athletic. I just hope that the team that blows the MLE on him isn't the Spurs.

ForeignFan
06-10-2008, 06:28 AM
What are exactly the grounds for saying that Pietrus is as dumb as a pile of bricks? I am not contesting that, but I have only seen him play a couple of times and it did not really strike me.

Bruno
06-15-2008, 05:34 PM
During the broadcast of the French league final, they have relayed some rumors about Pietrus coming to SA. I don't know how legit it is.

TP, who was in the attendance to watch his brother plays, also said that "Pop counts on Mahinmi for the next year".

Holt's Cat
06-15-2008, 05:35 PM
During the broadcast of the French league final, they have relayed some rumors about Pietrus coming to SA. I don't know how legit it is.

If the Spurs use their full MLE on Pietrus I will shave my furry sawck with a rusty blade.

TP, who was in the attendance to watch his brother plays, also said that "Pop counts on Mahinmi for the next year".

:smokin

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-15-2008, 05:36 PM
If true, :(.

If true, :).

Bruno
06-15-2008, 05:43 PM
If the Spurs use their full MLE on Pietrus I will shave my furry sawck with a rusty blade.

:lmao
I won't go that far but I hope Spurs will go after someone better.

TJastal
06-15-2008, 07:54 PM
After perusing the youtube vids on him, Pietrus appears to be able to hit a variety of shots, and has a scorer's mentality -- something the Spurs really needed badly last year. Not to mention being able to throw down some vicious dunks! IMO Pietrus would be a big improvement over 1 dimensional Finley, and hopefully be able to pick up the spurs system by the end of the year. His "low bball IQ" aside, I think he's defenitely worth the gamble at this point.

I'd give him the full MLE (if that's what it takes), because he's got the goods, and could become very good in this league, especially with the right coach.

timvp
06-15-2008, 09:00 PM
During the broadcast of the French league final, they have relayed some rumors about Pietrus coming to SA. I don't know how legit it is.Those rumors have come and gone for a long time. Are Pietrus and Parker friends again? I remember Pietrus refused to talk to Parker for a couple months after Parker's comment.

I'm trying to sell myself on the Pietrus idea but it's tough to do. He is athletic. He can rebound. He can play both shooting guard and small forward.

But his basketball IQ is so painfully low, he can't dribble the ball, he chokes in pressure situations and he'll cost a lot of damn money. I guess he'd be better than nothing . . .

TP, who was in the attendance to watch his brother plays, also said that "Pop counts on Mahinmi for the next year".Hopefully there is some truth to that and not just TP pimping his countryman.

exstatic
06-15-2008, 09:24 PM
After perusing the youtube vids on him, Pietrus appears to be able to hit a variety of shots, and has a scorer's mentality -- something the Spurs really needed badly last year. Not to mention being able to throw down some vicious dunks! IMO Pietrus would be a big improvement over 1 dimensional Finley, and hopefully be able to pick up the spurs system by the end of the year. His "low bball IQ" aside, I think he's defenitely worth the gamble at this point.

I'd give him the full MLE (if that's what it takes), because he's got the goods, and could become very good in this league, especially with the right coach.

You understand that they only post good shit on YouTube, right? They're not going to post when he dribbles the ball off his leg or misses 10 shots in a row.

Russ
06-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Is he a bad apple? That's the question really.

Anyone playing alongside S. Jack, Barnes, and Baron Davis is bound to pick up a few bad habits. Maybe he could pick up some good habits with Parker screaming French in his ear.

I bet Diaw is no Einstein either but I'd take him.

TJastal
06-15-2008, 10:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPq551R0pS4

Watch that vid and tell me this guy this guy couldn't have helped the Spurs last year. FFS even if he's a turnover machine (which I can tell he won't be with some confidence under his belt) his quickness and leaping ability alone would help the spurs on defense in contesting shots.

You guys have been screaming for more athletic players, well here he is, and he's French to boot!

ps that reverse double pump lay in and up and under post move are big time NBA moves, and the dunks.. oh man

exstatic
06-15-2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPq551R0pS4

Watch that vid and tell me this guy this guy couldn't have helped the Spurs last year. FFS even if he's a turnover machine (which I can tell he won't be with some confidence under his belt) his quickness and leaping ability alone would help the spurs on defense in contesting shots.

You guys have been screaming for more athletic players, well here he is, and he's French to boot!

ps that reverse double pump lay in and up and under post move are big time NBA moves, and the dunks.. oh man

Dude, enough with the fucking YouTube. We get it. He's made some nice moves on a team that runs up and down and shoots whenever they want. The Spurs aren't like that. They run plays and you have to know where to be at all times, a department he comes up short in.

picnroll
06-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Pietrus? Just stick with Finley.

AFBlue
06-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Pietrus? Just stick with Finley.

Probably the worst thing to do is stick with Finley.

Yes, he's a good locker room guy and he can hit from downtown....BUT, he is a volume shooter and was at his best when he started and played big minutes.

A guy like Pietrus may not be a complete player, but he seems as if he could fill whatever role the Spurs needed. If they wanted him to be a shooter, he could do that. If they wanted him to focus on defense, he could do that.

I guess my point is that Pietrus is flexible, whereas a veteran player like Finley is already set in his ways.

Pietrus may have a few years in this league, but he can still be molded and improve.

TheProfessor
06-15-2008, 11:02 PM

Yes, he's a good locker room guy and he can hit from downtown....BUT, he is a volume shooter and was at his best when he started and played big minutes.

A guy like Pietrus may not be a complete player, but he seems as if he could fill whatever role the Spurs needed. If they wanted him to be a shooter, he could do that. If they wanted him to focus on defense, he could do that.

I guess my point is that Pietrus is flexible, whereas a veteran player like Finley is already set in his ways.

Pietrus may have a few years in this league, but he can still be molded and improve.
I see Pietrus as more of the slashing athletic type than any kind of pure shooter. I also question his ability to transition successfully from Nelson's system to the Spurs'. His athleticism on defense would be a tremendous asset, but he's also prone to mental errors that would undermine his ability to stay on the floor.

TJastal
06-15-2008, 11:25 PM
I see Pietrus as more of the slashing athletic type than any kind of pure shooter. I also question his ability to transition successfully from Nelson's system to the Spurs'. His athleticism on defense would be a tremendous asset, but he's also prone to mental errors that would undermine his ability to stay on the floor.

Isn't that what everyone's been saying the spurs need? A slashing athletic type?... they don't need any more spot up shooters, that's for sure.

You are not going to get Michael Jordan with the MLE...but this guy does a helluva impression.

Marcus Bryant
06-15-2008, 11:29 PM
I like Pietrus as a rotation swingman, coming off the bench to run the break with TP some, for some part of the MLE, say 3 years/$12 mil. But 4 years, $24 mil is too much.

picnroll
06-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Pietrus, with his missed assignments and poor shot selection, will end up deeply buried in Pop's doghouse which will be a wonderful use of the MLE.

Marcus Bryant
06-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Pietrus should be like Plan D for the MLE, with a split between him and another free agent.

tav1
06-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Pietrus should be like Plan D for the MLE, with a split between him and another free agent.

Yep. My thougths exactly.

ginobili fan
06-16-2008, 03:44 AM
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Mehjju8VqJ8&feature=related

nuff said

ginobili fan
06-16-2008, 03:46 AM
We don't need to be einstein to play bball, just learn the system, work hard and defend

picnroll
06-16-2008, 07:09 AM
We don't need to be einstein to play bball, just learn the system, work hard and defend

Signed Francisco Elson.

ginobili fan
06-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Signed Francisco Elson.

wtf? we're talking about pietrus nothing to do with elson an old and bad player.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-16-2008, 09:13 AM
wtf? we're talking about pietrus nothing to do with elson an old and bad player.

When you say you don't need BBIQ to play, that you just need to "learn the system and play hard", that's what Elson did for 2 straight seasons but still couldn't manage to get decent playing time.

picnroll
06-16-2008, 09:14 AM

wtf? You don't need to be Einstein. You do need to be smarter than my beagle which Pietrus probably isn't basketball-wise. The fact youy don't understand that makes me assume you're not Einstein either.

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Great points, Phat Tony. :toast

Signing Finley would be THE worst thing the Spurs could do. Most of us agree that the Spurs cannot stand still this offseason. They MUST move themselves in a direction of getting younger, quicker, and more athletic. Resigning Finley would "torpedo" that strategy. Then the Spurs would be no better off than they are now.

Having said all that, I know Pietrus may have warts. However, I understand that he is coachable. Therefore, it will the coaches responsibility to rid him of any bad habits and mental mistakes. Besides, his skill set is exactly what the Spurs need and what is missing from this team. Plus, he's got more the majority of his career in front of him, rather than behind him. I would sign him and not look back.

If we're talking about being in the mix for a championship, we've got to get over this sentimental BS. It's time to turn the page.

Russ
06-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Problem : Pietrus is too dumb (low B-ball IQ)

Response: Between Don Nelson and the GS menagerie of players anyone would be confused about what he should be doing at any given moment. He needs a system and supporting persons around him. Pop will provide the system and TP the support.

Problem: He can't shoot from the outside.

Response: He's probably had little coaching given his background. Shooting is one of the few skills that can be improved by most players and the Spurs have a good shooting coach. Also, with his driving ability and TD's presence, Pietrus should get great mid-range looks in a non-firedrill (non-GS) offense. In fact, he made 286 three-pointers the season before last at a .388 clip from long range.

Positive Factor: He's attainable. As an unrestricted FA, the Spurs can know (on their own timetable) whether they can get him and still have time to adjust the rest of their roster accordingly. Also, they won't have to "overpay" in order to be confident that his old team won't match. They don't have to negotiate against two parties at once --if they can convince Pietrus to sign at a relative bargain price, they don't have to worry that the same bargain price will convince GS to snap him up. That could be the difference beween getting a FA wing at 3 million vs. 4 million (or more) a year.

Bottom line: He's athletic, physical and can go to the basket. Those are qualities that can't be taught -- the rest can be.

Gino2882
06-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Pietrus has had big pressure on him since he entered the league. He was touted as the French Michael Jordan.

All the talk is how he is dumb etc. Well, he has many many positives especially to a team like the Spurs. He is long and extremely athletic. An amazing dunker and high flyer.

djohn14
06-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Id love to get him. Then we would be more justified if we wanted Manu to be our sixth man.

SPURSGOAT
06-29-2008, 02:12 PM
I think that Pietrus would be a good fit on the Spurs. I don't support using the full MLE on him; if we can get him for maybe half fo the MLE then it would be good.

wisnub
06-29-2008, 02:34 PM
I like him. He's a good defender,not afraid to guard big man in GS and sometimes hit 3...I see him as a defender more than offense player. And what we need is OFFENSE!!!! Remember how we got COLD AS SHIT in the playoffs. Blame it one the crappy schedule,blame it on the plane maintenance problem. Bottom line: EVERYBODY DONT MAKE SHOTS WHEN BIG 3 WERE EXHAUSTED OR JUST NOT CLICKING. In that case...sign JR Smith instead (If we cant get him than Pietrus is fine)

wisnub
06-29-2008, 02:34 PM
I like him. He's a good defender,not afraid to guard big man in GS and sometimes hit 3...I see him as a defender more than offense player. And what we need is OFFENSE!!!! Remember how we got COLD AS SHIT in the playoffs. Blame it one the crappy schedule,blame it on the plane maintenance problem. Bottom line: EVERYBODY DONT MAKE SHOTS WHEN BIG 3 WERE EXHAUSTED OR JUST NOT CLICKING. In that case...sign JR Smith instead (If we cant get him than Pietrus is fine)

SenorSpur
06-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Problem : Pietrus is too dumb (low B-ball IQ)

Response: Between Don Nelson and the GS menagerie of players anyone would be confused about what he should be doing at any given moment. He needs a system and supporting persons around him. Pop will provide the system and TP the support.

Problem: He can't shoot from the outside.

Response: He's probably had little coaching given his background. Shooting is one of the few skills that can be improved by most players and the Spurs have a good shooting coach. Also, with his driving ability and TD's presence, Pietrus should get great mid-range looks in a non-firedrill (non-GS) offense. In fact, he made 286 three-pointers the season before last at a .388 clip from long range.

Positive Factor: He's attainable. As an unrestricted FA, the Spurs can know (on their own timetable) whether they can get him and still have time to adjust the rest of their roster accordingly. Also, they won't have to "overpay" in order to be confident that his old team won't match. They don't have to negotiate against two parties at once --if they can convince Pietrus to sign at a relative bargain price, they don't have to worry that the same bargain price will convince GS to snap him up. That could be the difference beween getting a FA wing at 3 million vs. 4 million (or more) a year.

Bottom line: He's athletic, physical and can go to the basket. Those are qualities that can't be taught -- the rest can be.

All are excellent points. I completely forgot about his UFA status. That surely would bode well in the Spurs favor. They don't have to worry about a 15-day pending offer if he were a RFA.

I know JR Smith is the more exceptional talent and if they land him, I'm fine with that. I just feel that Pietrus would be the better overall fit and without the knucklehead factor. After all, chemistry, peronsality and attitude are every bit as important to Pop as talent - and they should be.

Sway
06-29-2008, 04:27 PM
He should be way down on the list. The Spurs should go for JR Smith, Kelenna Azubuike, James Jones, Matt Barnes, or maybe even Dorrel Wright before they even think about Pietrus.

Tully365
06-29-2008, 04:28 PM
After looking at the forums of other teams last night-- the Nets, Heat, Knicks, Cavs, Hornets-- it seems like every hoops fan in America is debating Pietrus & JR Smith regarding their relative merits, and I imagine most GMs are also. My fear is with the not-so-numerous options available, the Spurs could wind up with nothing, which would really be bad. I think Bowen needs more help than Ginobili, which makes me lean towards Pietrus more than Smith... again, not because Pietrus is better than Smith (though he might be, considering rebounding & defense), but because he could be a better piece. He can occasionally guard the 4 spot in addition to wings, which would be valuable against some line-ups, and he could even give some defensive minutes against the Chris Pauls/ Kobes-- guys we are going to have to deal with again come playoff time.

SenorSpur
06-29-2008, 04:51 PM
After looking at the forums of other teams last night-- the Nets, Heat, Knicks, Cavs, Hornets-- it seems like every hoops fan in America is debating Pietrus & JR Smith regarding their relative merits, and I imagine most GMs are also. My fear is with the not-so-numerous options available, the Spurs could wind up with nothing, which would really be bad. I think Bowen needs more help than Ginobili, which makes me lean towards Pietrus more than Smith... again, not because Pietrus is better than Smith (though he might be, considering rebounding & defense), but because he could be a better piece. He can occasionally guard the 4 spot in addition to wings, which would be valuable against some line-ups, and he could even give some defensive minutes against the Chris Pauls/ Kobes-- guys we are going to have to deal with again come playoff time.

The demand for those two (Smith and Pietrus) could be high. I can see the Spurs getting outbid for Smith. I can't see GS allowing Azibuke to walk. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Pietrus would welcome an opportunity to maximize his talents in a Spur uniform - so long as the $$$ are comparable.

SenorSpur
06-29-2008, 04:58 PM
He should be way down on the list. The Spurs should go for JR Smith, Kelenna Azubuike, James Jones, Matt Barnes, or maybe even Dorrel Wright before they even think about Pietrus.

I don't see it that way.

Sure Smith should be the first choice. He is the most prolific scorer out of the bunch. Either from downtown or at the rim. However because he's restricted, the "rich-n-creamies" could decide to match any offer for him. Or perhaps another team may decide to simply outbid them.

Azibuke strikes me as a guy GS would be willing to retain. Besides, I believe he's a RFA too. If so, GS could match.

Barnes isn't a prolific enough of a scorer.

Jones is an UFA, yet merely a spot-up shooter.

Dorell Wright is a talented player, but more of a defensive player at this point in his career. He simply doesn't score enough.

I've completed forgot about Artest as a possible option. He may be in demand as much as Smith. If his salary demands are in line, I'd be OK with him. Even though he's a potential loose cannon. If the Spurs were to indeed land Artest, the West would easily be won.

The second best option is Pietrus. He has all the components and skill that the Spurs need in a potential starting or substitute 2-guard. Scoring, rebounding, defense, athleticism. I believe with the infrastructure the Spurs have in place, along with the the instructional coaching, he'd be an ideal fit.

TJastal
06-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Heck ya, SenorSpur. You are a wise voice around here. :toast

Would love to see this lineup this year

C Mahinmi, Oberto
PF Duncan, Bonner, Thomas
SF Bowen, Udoka, Pietrus
SG Ginobili, Barry
PG Parker, Hill, Vaughn

Gone: Finley, Horry, Stoud

Lady M
06-29-2008, 05:41 PM
last week when TJ Parker win the french championship Mike was with TP and say to the journalist he want to be a spur

SenorSpur
06-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Heck ya, SenorSpur. You are a wise voice around here. :toast

Would love to see this lineup this year

C Mahinmi, Oberto
PF Duncan, Bonner, Thomas
SF Bowen, Udoka, Pietrus
SG Ginobili, Barry
PG Parker, Hill, Vaughn

Gone: Finley, Horry, Stoud

Wisdom abounds, my friend.

I like that lineup very much, too. How about we get greedy and even add in Gist as a 14th man and possible defensive stopper for spot minutes?

Sway
06-29-2008, 06:02 PM
I've completed forgot about Artest as a possible option. He may be in demand as much as Smith. If his salary demands are in line, I'd be OK with him. Even though he's a potential loose cannon. If the Spurs were to indeed land Artest, the West would easily be won.

:toast

I can agree with you on this. He would be my #1 option if I thought it was possible.

mystargtr34
06-29-2008, 06:04 PM
The problem for the Spurs will obviously lie in the waiting period between when the Spurs present an offer and the Nuggets/Warriors match. This could potentially cost them alternate solutions so they will have to make up their mind.

I think Smith is the number one guy on RC's mind given they tries to trade for him when he was a struggling soph... im not even sure if theyr high on Pietrus but that may be the safest option.

Iv stated numerous times i would like Smith... but i could live with Azubuike and Pietrus.

mystargtr34
06-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Oh.... and Artest would actually be my number one option... but im not cnosidering him until he opts out.

And do you think we could start with Artest at the 3 and Bowen at the 2? I think Artest has enough shot making ability to make that happen.

TJastal
06-29-2008, 06:11 PM
We already have JR Smith, albeit a shorter version.

With the new addition of George Hill to this lineup, I'm not even thinking about JR Smith anymore. He is not needed, I believe Hill will provide the offensive spark this team has been looking for.

exstatic
06-29-2008, 06:23 PM
We already have JR Smith, albeit a shorter version.

With the new addition of George Hill to this lineup, I'm not even thinking about JR Smith anymore. He is not needed, I believe Hill will provide the offensive spark this team has been looking for.

Hill's going to play maybe 10 minutes per game. We need someone to come in and eat Finley's minutes, and probably some of Manu's in the early season. Hill Can NOT play that many minutes out of position. He's only 6'2". Having a 6'9" wingspan does NOT make you 6'5". You're just a 6'2" guy with long arms.

Sway
06-29-2008, 06:27 PM
The second best option is Pietrus. He has all the components and skill that the Spurs need in a potential starting or substitute 2-guard. Scoring, rebounding, defense, athleticism. I believe with the infrastructure the Spurs have in place, along with the the instructional coaching, he'd be an ideal fit.

I will give you the rebounding, defense, and athleticism, but scoring as of right now is not a strength for him. Regardless, my problem with MP is not his abilities, I think he is an ok player. The problem is his decision making on the court, which I think would give Pop fits and probably cause him to get sent to the dog house. Even with that said, I have to admit I would be ok with signing him if other options are not available.

Tully365
06-29-2008, 07:01 PM
The demand for those two (Smith and Pietrus) could be high. I can see the Spurs getting outbid for Smith. I can't see GS allowing Azibuke to walk. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Pietrus would welcome an opportunity to maximize his talents in a Spur uniform - so long as the $$$ are comparable.

Es verdad, SenorSpur, es Verdad!

Spurtacus
06-29-2008, 07:15 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mfze2w5Q1T8

(btw how do you insert a video on this site?)

duncan228
06-29-2008, 07:45 PM
(btw how do you insert a video on this site?)

Tutorial here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2601509&postcount=2

A.H 21-50
06-29-2008, 08:19 PM
i think pietrus could be a good addition

as a frenchman i didn't like pietrus in the past as he was a little bit arrogant , shows no passion... but he's more mature now and seems to be a better basketball player

the important thing with pietrus is that he will probably make less money than guys like smith or artest
i guess he has some interest to coming , parker invite him to be a spurs while joking during french final two weeks ago

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F_qJOhFmDoE

Big P
06-29-2008, 08:30 PM
last week when TJ Parker win the french championship Mike was with TP and say to the journalist he want to be a spur

Really LadyM....very interesting..thanks.

Spurtacus
06-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Tutorial here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2601509&postcount=2

Neat tutorial. Thanks.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Pietrus would make some sense for the Spurs in free agency. He's athletic, can shoot the 3, and has some length. What we saw in the draft is that the Spurs are looking for players with some length. Hill, Pietrus, and Mahinmi would give the Spurs some length and athleticism in their rotation next season.

T Park
06-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Problem is, Pietrus isn't a reliable scorer to take the load off of Ginobili for periods of time, and also has a horrid BBall IQ to the point where Tony parker can't stand him.

wildbill2u
06-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Wouldn't Pietrus basically be Udoka Lite, another tweener but dumber. Why would we need another one of those?

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Plus he'd likely be attainable. Smith will probably be tough to pull away from Denver. Maggette will get more than the MLE. After these three, the rest are somewhat more speculative. Delfino is a huge ?. Abuzikie whatever is a RFA. Ricky Davis would be nothing more than regular season filler who you hope doesn't implode.

wildbill2u
06-30-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't see it that way.

Sure Smith should be the first choice. He is the most prolific scorer out of the bunch. Either from downtown or at the rim. However because he's restricted, the "rich-n-creamies" could decide to match any offer for him. Or perhaps another team may decide to simply outbid them.

Azibuke strikes me as a guy GS would be willing to retain. Besides, I believe he's a RFA too. If so, GS could match.

Barnes isn't a prolific enough of a scorer.

Jones is an UFA, yet merely a spot-up shooter.

Dorell Wright is a talented player, but more of a defensive player at this point in his career. He simply doesn't score enough.

T Park
06-30-2008, 01:57 PM
I'd rather roll the dice with geting Azubuike.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Basically, beggars can't be choosers.

T Park
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Pietrus sucks.

Next.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Maybe you do a S&T for Delfino with Bonner and then sign Najera with the MLE. That wouldn't exactly fit the long and athletic move though.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Pietrus sucks.

Next.

Better than bringing Finley back.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Wouldn't Pietrus basically be Udoka Lite, another tweener but dumber. Why would we need another one of those?

Bad comparison. Pietrus is younger, more athletic, and longer.

SPURSGOAT
06-30-2008, 02:07 PM
I would have no problem with seeing Pietrus on the roster next season... Especially if we can get him and someone else with the MLE.

A.H 21-50
06-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Pietrus sucks.

Next.

argue

i didn't like pietrus before but i start to think he can be a good addition to sa system
he can defend , shoot , he's athletic and will make less money imo than other top targets
he's not the perfect player as he could be inconsistent , low bb iq but he looks more mature

if smith , artest , magette were off the radar i will go with pietrus but i'm not that high on him
still i prefer him over delfino or evans .....

Spur-Addict
06-30-2008, 02:37 PM

Pietrus is a superior offense player (compared to Udoka) with more athletic ability. Udoka is more intelligent and a better defender.

SenorSpur
06-30-2008, 03:11 PM
I would have no problem with seeing Pietrus on the roster next season... Especially if we can get him and someone else with the MLE.

I concur.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Pietrus will be the easiest out of Smith, Abuizzkizeeee, Maggette, and Pietrus to acquire. He could possibly be available for less than the MLE.

There's the off chance that the Spurs could pry Smith or Abuizzzzzkeze away from their teams, but then that might mean the Spurs are left with Maurice Evans or, yes, Michael Finley if they lose out.

Pietrus makes a lot of sense as a free agent target.

tav1
06-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Pietrus will be the easiest out of Smith, Abuizzkizeeee, Maggette, and Pietrus to acquire. He could possibly be available for less than the MLE.

There's the off chance that the Spurs could pry Smith or Abuizzzzzkeze away from their teams, but then that might mean the Spurs are left with Maurice Evans or, yes, Michael Finley if they lose out.

Pietrus makes a lot of sense as a free agent target.

Where is this rich market on Azubuike? Who else wants him? I'm not sure he will cost anymore 2.5 or 3 million and that no more than a couple of teams will consider extending him an offer.

Smith is an MLE guy, but not Azubuike.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Golden State should be pretty happy to match a $3 million offer to Azubuike

tav1
06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Golden State should be pretty happy to match a $3 million offer to Azubuike

I'm not at all convinced that Golden State would match a 3 million dollar offer. I'm not trying to be cross or contratrian. But given the market this year, 3 million is a lot to pay Azubuike. Udoka only received 1 million last season...

Maybe your right. Perhaps GS overpays for him, shells out cash for Ellis and Biedrins, and let's Pietrus walk. I can see that, and if that's there plan we shouldn't bother tendering him an offer. I'd be amazed if Azubuike was paid someone's full MLE.

3 years ago, Azubuike would have got a MLE deal, but the economic climate has shifted.

marcflynn2009
06-30-2008, 05:44 PM
8. Mickael Pietrus, Warriors: No one is sure why the Warriors didn't play Pietrus more. He's one of the most athletic defenders in the league and he's a solid 3-point shooter. Some team will pick him up and try to use him in a Bruce Bowen-type role.

bowens old... we need him

bobbybob0
06-30-2008, 07:35 PM
The more I think about it, the more I want the Spurs to taget Pietrus.

He's not the best available free agent but SA is no more a bandwagon destination for above-average players accepting less money for the chance to win a championship - that's LA or Boston now.

Pietrus is one of the few (good) unrestricted FA swingman. Even for the full MLE for 3 years I'm not sure Smith or Azubuike would accept that offer and then you've got this two weeks period for Den/GS to answer where you might miss other target.

Ocotillo
06-30-2008, 08:27 PM
If you bring in Pietrus, who is the offensive juggernaut that is suppose to help with those droughts that would hit occasionally last year?

Sway
06-30-2008, 08:33 PM
The more I look into it the more I am starting to think Pietrus may be our guy. If you look at the Spurs other options it’s easy to see why they may not work.

Maggette is going to get more than the MLE. He was scheduled to make $7 million next year so he isnt going to go for a paycut. On top of that it is rumored that several teams are big on him.

JR Smith is also getting a lot of attention and is expected to get multiple MLE offers. He should have his pick of teams and will probably pick a bigger market team that can guarantee a starting spot.

Azubuike is a RFA and is high on the Warrior’s priority list this Summer. They are expected to match any reasonable offer he gets. If a team wants him they are probably going to have to overpay.

That pretty much leaves Pietrus as the only option that makes sense this Summer. He is a FA, wont cost as much as some of the other options, and has a connection to SA (TP). So like it or not I think this may be the guy.

Matt Barnes is another prospect that makes sense for the Spurs. The Spurs have shown interest in him in the past, he will be relatively cheap, and supposedly GS isn’t interested in resigning him. It actually wouldn’t surprise me if the Spurs go after both Pietrus & Barnes and get rid of Udoka.

tav1
06-30-2008, 08:54 PM
The more I look into it the more I am starting to think Pietrus may be our guy. If you look at the Spurs other options it’s easy to see why they may not work.

Maggette is going to get more than the MLE. He was scheduled to make $7 million next year so he isnt going to go for a paycut. On top of that it is rumored that several teams are big on him.

JR Smith is also getting a lot of attention and is expected to get multiple MLE offers. He should have his pick of teams and will probably pick a bigger market team that can guarantee a starting spot.

Azubuike is a RFA and is high on the Warrior’s priority list this Summer. They are expected to match any reasonable offer he gets. If a team wants him they are probably going to have to overpay.

That pretty much leaves Pietrus as the only option that makes sense this Summer. He is a FA, wont cost as much as some of the other options, and has a connection to SA (TP). So like it or not I think this may be the guy.

Matt Barnes is another prospect that makes sense for the Spurs. The Spurs have shown interest in him in the past, he will be relatively cheap, and supposedly GS isn’t interested in resigning him. It actually wouldn’t surprise me if the Spurs go after both Pietrus & Barnes and get rid of Udoka.

1) Where have you read that Azubuike is high on their priority list?

2) The best time to offer a contract to Azubuike is 12:01 because the Warriors will have to negotiate with Ellis and Biedrins and may not be able to match right away. Ellis and Biedrins will both be looking for deals near 50 million over 5 years. If their number exceeds 50, the Warriors will have to let Azubuike walk. If you want Azubuike, you get him to ink right off and possibly force the Warriors into a situation where they have to let him go for fear of losing Ellis or Biedrins.

3) I'm starting to wonder if we haven't looked past the Spurs #1 free agent option, Josh Childress. Artest, Smith, Pietrus, Azubuike and Siskauskas dominate our discussions, but why wouldn't the Spurs offer Childress the full MLE just after midnight? If that doesn't work, there are still servicable fall back options available, possibly including Pietrus and Azubuike.

Childress might be their guy.

Big P
06-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Atlanta will match a MLE deal for Childress very quickly & be very happy about it...So if we did offer him the MLE, Atlanta would have alot of time to think about it, meanwhile our hands are tied while other FA's sign with new teams, then Atlanta decides to keep him & we are stuck without anything....doesn't sound like too good a plan IMO.

Tully365
06-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Last year, Smith averaged 12.3 ppg in 19.2 mpg for a high scoring, no defense playing Denver team.
In 06-07, Brent Barry averaged 8.5 ppg in 21.7 mpg for a lower scoring, defense oriented team. He also did this while taking considerably fewer shots, as his FG%, 3PT%, and FT% were all higher than Smith's.
There's a lot of talk about BB IQ, but don't you think recognizing the importance of playing defense should be pretty high up there when accessing IQ? Pietrus & Azubuike both pride themselves on playing D. Smith doesn't. To me, that's low IQ.

Sway
06-30-2008, 09:40 PM
1) Where have you read that Azubuike is high on their priority list?

2) The best time to offer a contract to Azubuike is 12:01 because the Warriors will have to negotiate with Ellis and Biedrins and may not be able to match right away. Ellis and Biedrins will both be looking for deals near 50 million over 5 years. If their number exceeds 50, the Warriors will have to let Azubuike walk. If you want Azubuike, you get him to ink right off and possibly force the Warriors into a situation where they have to let him go for fear of losing Ellis or Biedrins.

3) I'm starting to wonder if we haven't looked past the Spurs #1 free agent option, Josh Childress. Artest, Smith, Pietrus, Azubuike and Siskauskas dominate our discussions, but why wouldn't the Spurs offer Childress the full MLE just after midnight? If that doesn't work, there are still servicable fall back options available, possibly including Pietrus and Azubuike.

Childress might be their guy.

1) Ive read it in a couple diffrent places. Some of the area papers have basically been saying that the RFAs are the priority.

"Warriors guard Kelenna Azubuike has joined the pool of restricted free agents, along with teammates Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins. Azubuike was set to make $797,581 next season, which is like minimum wage in the NBA. The Warriors are expected to re-sign all three of their restricted free agents, though nothing is guaranteed. Source: Contra Costa Times"

2) Im not sure if that would work. If they plan is to sign all three RFAs they will just match the offer.

3) I agree with you on Josh Childress. I would take him over Pietrus any day of the week. His availability is hard to read however. Some people think he is going to get big money while others are saying he will be a bargain. I guess the market will end up setting his price.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Where is this rich market on Azubuike? Who else wants him? I'm not sure he will cost anymore 2.5 or 3 million and that no more than a couple of teams will consider extending him an offer.

Smith is an MLE guy, but not Azubuike.

It's going to take an MLE offer to get him, and with Baron opting out today I'm not even sure that will do the trick.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Then take Pietrus and Barnes from them.

xtremesteven33
07-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Pietrus will be a Spur next year...Book it.

I think Pop has already spoken with this kid and likes what he sees. Sure hes not the sharpest tool in the shed but all he needs to do is defend well and use his athletecism to his advantage when putting the ball in the hole.

i like this kid. hes a nice guy, no problems, and he looks like he is easily coachable and teachable.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Pietrus will be a Spur next year...Book it.

I think Pop has already spoken with this kid and likes what he sees. Sure hes not the sharpest tool in the shed but all he needs to do is defend well and use his athletecism to his advantage when putting the ball in the hole.

i like this kid. hes a nice guy, no problems, and he looks like he is easily coachable and teachable.

He has the basketball IQ of a rock.

bobbybob0
07-01-2008, 11:21 AM

I agree he's not the smartest basketball player around but does he really have the lowest BBIQ of all the NBA?

Do you mean Elson or KBrown level of dumbness?

xtremesteven33
07-01-2008, 11:25 AM

exaggerate much?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I agree he's not the smartest basketball player around but does he really have the lowest BBIQ of all the NBA?

Do you mean Elson or KBrown level of dumbness?

Dumber.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 11:37 AM
exaggerate much?

I stand by what I said. And no, it's not exaggeration. I don't think you'll find a lower bball IQ player in the NBA.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Pietrus isn't that bad and the rest of his game would fit in well in SA. I'd rather the Spurs lock up him now than being burned by an offer sheet circle jerk with one of these pipe dreams and ending up with a re-signed Michael Finley.

T Park
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Pietrus should be last on the list behind Childress, Smith, and others.

A.H 21-50
07-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Pietrus should be last on the list behind Childress, Smith, and others.

behind childress , smith or magette maybe azabuike ok but i still prefer him over delfino , evans , ariza and all the other sg/sf players

Darkwaters
07-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Pietrus isn't that bad and the rest of his game would fit in well in SA. I'd rather the Spurs lock up him now than being burned by an offer sheet circle jerk with one of these pipe dreams and ending up with a re-signed Michael Finley.

I tend to agree.

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 12:05 PM

Agreed. Pietrus is not only a compatiable fit on-the-court, but he's also an easier "get" than a RFA like Smith.

objective
07-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Count me in for Pietrus, the getting burned by an RFA offer is the best reason.

Pietrus isn't great, and he's already reached his ceiling.

But he should realistically be very gettable. And much better for the Spurs to sign Pietrus than get stuck with Finley or Juan Dixon or Mo Evans or Yahkouba Diawara.

A.H 21-50
07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Agreed. Pietrus is not only a compatiable fit on-the-court, but he's also an easier "get" than a RFA like Smith.

offcourse , he will make less money than smith and he isn't a rfa
in a good situation and with a good coach i don't think pietrus will be that bad

bobbybob0
07-01-2008, 01:34 PM
I stand by what I said. And no, it's not exaggeration. I don't think you'll find a lower bball IQ player in the NBA.

Thanx for your insight and detailed analysis.

SPURSGOAT
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Pietrus will be in a Spurs uni since we won't be able to land JR or any of the other higher tier FA out there.... I would be cool with Pietrus; not sure if it would take the full MLE though.

bobbybob0
07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Pietrus will be in a Spurs uni since we won't be able to land JR or any of the other higher tier FA out there.... I would be cool with Pietrus; not sure if it would take the full MLE though.

IMHO after last year free agency debacle where nobody ever made him an offer he's now looking for security with a multiyear guaranteed deal more than a front loaded offer for a shorter period.

Darkwaters
07-01-2008, 02:19 PM
IMHO after last year free agency debacle where nobody ever made him an offer he's now looking for security with a multiyear guaranteed deal more than a front loaded offer for a shorter period.

I think that may be a safe assumption. Of course, if he really thinks San Antonio is a place that he can remake himself he might also be willing to consider a shorter contract with hopes of signing a more lucrative one once SA has employed him more productively.

Spur-Addict
07-01-2008, 02:23 PM

:clap

Sway
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM

Yeah, thats what I have been saying. Both are UFA so you dont have to worry about their team matching the offer. The Spurs have also shown interest in both in the past and it is rumored the Warriors are not planning on resigning either one.

mathbzh
07-02-2008, 09:34 AM
What do you base this harsh judgment on?
Do you have fact proving he is that dumb?
Obviously he is not a high bball IQ player but it's a stretch to say he is the dumbest one.

SPURSGOAT
07-02-2008, 10:22 AM
As for the Warriors' own free agents, Bill McCandless, the representative for Mickael Pietrus, said that eight teams had inquired about his client, with about four expressing a strong interest in the swingman. He said he had not heard from the Warriors.

Golden State would like to keep guard Kelenna Azubuike, but forward Matt Barnes and center Patrick O'Bryant are not expected back.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/01/SPCF11ICKB.DTL

Tully365
07-02-2008, 07:16 PM
One of the stats the Spurs are probably looking at with regards to Pietrus and Delfino (who they've reportedly already made an offer to) is turnovers: Pietrus averaged 0.7 TO per game, 1.8 per 48min, and Delfino average 0.9 TO/game and 1.9 per 48 min. Both of these are extremely low averages for swing players.
Pietrus' steal-to-TO ratio is 1.38 per game, which ranked 15th in the NBA last year.
His EFF rating per 48 is better than Azubuike's and S Jackson's.
I'm not saying Pietrus is an all-star, but I think comments about him being one of the dumbest guys in the league are exaggerated.

objective
07-02-2008, 07:48 PM
One of the stats the Spurs are probably looking at with regards to Pietrus and Delfino (who they've reportedly already made an offer to) is turnovers: Pietrus averaged 0.7 TO per game, 1.8 per 48min, and Delfino average 0.9 TO/game and 1.9 per 48 min. Both of these are extremely low averages for swing players.
Pietrus' steal-to-TO ratio is 1.38 per game, which ranked 15th in the NBA last year.
His EFF rating per 48 is better than Azubuike's and S Jackson's.
I'm not saying Pietrus is an all-star, but I think comments about him being one of the dumbest guys in the league are exaggerated.

unfortunately both Pietrus and Maggette have bad A/T ratios. Maggette this actually totaled more TOs than assists, and is also negative for the last 3 seasons combined.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 07:58 PM
unfortunately both Pietrus and Maggette have bad A/T ratios. Maggette this actually totaled more TOs than assists, and is also negative for the last 3 seasons combined.

Yeah, that's something that concerns me. He's not as efficient as Manu or Tony, and it will be hard to break him of the habit of taking so many shots. He makes up for it with his rebounding and his amazing ability to draw fouls, but does the team become better if Maggette is shooting more than Tim, Manu, and Tony? The best case scenario is he takes fewer shots working his way into the flow of the Spurs' offense, averages 14-16 ppg, and increases his FG% a bit while lowering turnovers.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 08:12 PM
No question, Maggette is an offensive talent far beyond Pietrus, with more points, better FG%, better FT%, & a better 3PT%. Neither guy loves passing much, that's for sure. But I see either guy getting more playing time from Bowen's minutes than from Manu's, which means any increase in points & rebounds will be an improvement, scoring-wise. If they landed Maggette and Delfino, Delfino would probably represent an improvement over Barry and Finley in term of defense, and Maggette would be a big step forward offensively. That would be a very successful off season.

Russ
07-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Count me in for Pietrus, the getting burned by an RFA offer is the best reason.

Agree.

Pietrus isn't great, and he's already reached his ceiling.

Disagee -- people said the same thing about Bowen when he was cast aside by Miami. I think Pietrus has upside. Bargains come when a team has soured on a player (plenty of Spurs trading partners know this). Buy low, sell high.

But he should realistically be very gettable. And much better for the Spurs to sign Pietrus than get stuck with Finley or Juan Dixon or Mo Evans or Yahkouba Diawara.

Agree. :)

JPB
07-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Pistons Target Posey, Pietrus

Jul 03, 2008 7:22 AM EST
The Pistons are targeting both James Posey and Mickael Pietrus through free agency this month, according to The Macomb Daily.

Posey has been targeted by a number of teams with the mid-level exception, with the Celtics, Lakers, and Hornets reportedly interested in his services.

Detroit is looking for someone to play behind Tayshaun Prince, having used Mo Evans, Carlos Delfino, Ronald Dupree and Jarvis Hayes in the past.

Via The Macomb Daily

lotr1trekkie
07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Exactly how much basketball IQ is required to play in Golden State? Defensive system, complicated offensive plays requiring each player to move in sync. If not for Rick Barry GS would be O for a lifetime in NBA titles. Maybe Pietrus isn't the brightest but you can't judge him from GS. Steven Jackson is the Man there---enough said.

SPURSGOAT
07-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I think we could land Pietrus easier than some of these other FA we are going after; he has even said that he wants to play for the Spurs.... but it does not seem like the Spurs are interested in him since we have seen no press about it... could be wrong of course...

Darkwaters
07-03-2008, 11:29 AM
If Maggette falls through I think the next call you make is to Pietrus.

JPB
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
but it does not seem like the Spurs are interested in him since we have seen no press about it

Which should make you think the opposite.

T Park
07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
If Maggette falls through I think the next call you make is to Pietrus.

JR Smith.

Then Pietrus.

SPURSGOAT
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Which should make you think the opposite.

yea knowing ol' CIA Pop.... :downspin:

Darkwaters
07-03-2008, 02:31 PM
JR Smith.

Then Pietrus.

I really don't think JR Smith is feasible. I'd prefer to have him over Pietrus but I just don't think it's a possibility.

DPG21920
07-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I think we could land Pietrus easier than some of these other FA we are going after; he has even said that he wants to play for the Spurs.... but it does not seem like the Spurs are interested in him since we have seen no press about it... could be wrong of course...

That seems to be the case, you are probably wrong with the rest of us. Does anyone remember draft night????
SpursTalk: Chalmers, CDR, Batum, Lee, Hendrix, Greene
Spurs FO: George Hill

Thats what I am saying. This Maggette and J.R. Smith and Delfino and Mason talk has the same vibe as the pre-draft. The Spurs went the different way.

The Truth #6
07-03-2008, 02:41 PM
What has Denver done to lock up JR Smith? They made a qualifying offer, right? Does anyone know how much that was for?

My hunch is they made an offer just so they could reserve the right to match any offers that come in. In that sense, they only covered their bases. Anything is still possible.

DPG21920
07-03-2008, 03:03 PM
J.R. Smith

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/denver.htm

DPG21920
07-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Only the qualifying offer for him so far. I am sure some team is going to offer him more though...question is will Denver match? They have said they will, but it will hurt them financially (additional luxury tax) for at least one more year.