PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: James Jones

exstatic
06-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Long and smooth shooting SF/SG. He's had a pretty inconsistant career in 5 NBA years. He's got two seasons of 70+ games where he's been below 40% FGs, but, he's been pretty money from beyond the arc in his last 4 seasons: 39.8, 38.6, 37.8, 44.4. :wow

NBA profile (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/james_jones/career_stats.html)

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I guess if you're looking for a replacement for Barry down the line, but my only question is: What else does he do besides shoot?

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
As a set-shooter, there are probably no better options, but if the Spurs are looking for a guy that can create his own offense....this isn't the guy. He gets to the line once or twice a season.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I guess if you're looking for a replacement for Barry down the line, but my only question is: What else does he do besides shoot?

Nothing "down the line" about him....WYSIWYG

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Nothing "down the line" about him....WYSIWYG

What do those letters actually stand for...seen them used quite a bit around here and it maybe something I know already, but I'm never scared to ask.

SPURSGOAT
06-09-2008, 09:06 PM
What do those letters actually stand for...seen them used quite a bit around here and it maybe something I know already, but I'm never scared to ask.

What you see is what you get.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 09:06 PM

What You See Is What You Get

Bob Lanier
06-09-2008, 09:07 PM
:tu :tu :tu

A decent defender, too.

NewJerSpur
06-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Gotcha'....both of you, lol. Again, if you deal with this guy the question would not only be "What else does he do besides shoot" but also "Is there any possibility he can do more?" As far as the "down the line goes" comment goes, I was referring to him taking over Brent's role as the primary long distance offensive spark off the bench.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Gotcha'....both of you, lol. Again, if you deal with this guy the question would not only be "What else does he do besides shoot" but also "Is there any possibility he can do more?" As far as the "down the line goes" comment goes, I was referring to him taking over Brent's role as the primary long distance offensive spark off the bench.

I know what you meant, but since the Spurs already have a bunch of one-dimensional shooters I wouldn't think they'd add this guy to the stockpile. Maybe if there was an opening (i.e. Barry, Horry, Finley retire), but at this point I don't see it.

He's a decent defender....but he's not going to develop an in-between game at this point.

He wouldn't be the worst signing though.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure the Spurs need to get a guy who can get his own shot so much as get guys who can nail those three pointers. Yes, of course getting a third slasher would be ideal, but a young spot shooter wouldn't hurt.

Spur-Addict
06-09-2008, 09:18 PM

He can play some defense, he isn't a stellar defender, but he isn't a push over. He can for sure add some shot blocking to our team. Plus, he can knock down the open tre ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VLloIPvg0

He isn't a bad choice, although I remember him injuring Tim. Well, at least I blamed it on JJ. He's a tough player.

T Park
06-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Im for him if the efforts for JR Smith, Azubuike, and others fail.

Not really that high on him.

bigdog
06-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Guy is a spot up shooter, he's long, and can play some decent defense. All we need him to do is knock down the wide open shots he should be guaranteed to get, and he could get about 12 PPG. He was among the top shooters from 3 this season, and I think with all the double teaming that goes on, he could get a ton of wide open shots, which he is very capable of making.

If we can't get someone else, this would be a good move.

angelbelow
06-09-2008, 09:50 PM
very solid FT shooter too, played well during portlands 13 game winning streak, he was hurt for a little bit and portland didnt play as well.

bigdog
06-09-2008, 09:56 PM
very solid FT shooter too, played well during portlands 13 game winning streak, he was hurt for a little bit and portland didnt play as well.

yeah, besides his little injury, he had a very solid season. after he came back from the injury, he lit it up from 3 again.

Sway
06-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know if he exercised his player option? I still think he would be a good 3rd FA option if the FO strikes out with the other FA prospects.

Bruno
06-22-2008, 12:42 PM
As a set-shooter, there are probably no better options, but if the Spurs are looking for a guy that can create his own offense....this isn't the guy. He gets to the line once or twice a season.

Agree and Spurs also have Udoka who is a quite similar player.

AC#21_TD ERA
06-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Are you kidding me. NEXT

Big P
06-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Are you kidding me. NEXT

Your right, it is ridiculous to think that we could get James Jones[/sarcasm]

We should do something much more realistic, like trade Manu for Artest.

timvp
06-26-2008, 02:25 PM
If Portland keeps the pick, we hear they like Donte Greene as the perfect replacement to James Jones, who just opted out of his contract.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Draft-Day-Rumblings--250-PM-EST--2950/

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
So much for my plan. :depressed

MoSpur
06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Just read that on SI. I remember the Spurs were sort of interested a while back, but I don't think he fits in with the Spurs. Who knows?

exstatic
06-28-2008, 10:36 AM
So much for my plan. :depressed

Which was? You don't have any previous posts in this thread.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Which was? You don't have any previous posts in this thread.

It was a response to the quote timvp posted about the Blazers looking at Donte Greene.
In the ST Mock Draft I was able to pull off the Spurs getting Donte, whom I really wanted.

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 11:02 AM
With Batum in, they're loaded at SF. Jones was likely gone anyway, but now it's practically assured.

SenorSpur
06-28-2008, 11:08 AM
If the Spurs can't lnad Smith or Pietrus or Artest - then OK

Steve-O-Matic
06-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Take Bruce Bowen, give him great FT-shooting ability, cut his defensive ability in half, and you've got James Jones.

No thanks.

exstatic
06-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Take Bruce Bowen, give him great FT-shooting ability, cut his defensive ability in half, cut his age by 9 years, improve his rebounding by about 1.5X and you've got James Jones.

No thanks.

How long do you think Bowen can play? It was pretty obvious that Udoka ain't the next stopper. He's better against the bangers like Artest or Bonzi, but was totally exposed against Kobe or frankly anyone else that exploits his lack of lateral mobility.

wildbill2u
06-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Take Bruce Bowen, give him great FT-shooting ability, cut his defensive ability in half, and you've got James Jones.

No thanks.

See my post on Dorell Wright comparing him to Bowen. I think Wright might be a better option. Miami just gave him an offer, but we could maybe top it.

A.H 21-50
06-28-2008, 08:59 PM
the guy looks good but landing him would'nt represent a good improvement as guys like smith or maybe azabuike-pietrus can bring

he's a shooter not bad defensivly too but that's it

spurs need players who can bring something immediatly and i don't think jones is the solution

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Plan Q

intlspurshk
06-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I would rather have Dorell Wright

tav1
07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Okay, now that Maggette is a possibility, Jones is far more attractive. Maggette, Parker, Ginobli, and, hopefully, Hill will get into the lane a lot. An outlet 3 pt ace like Jones would do wonders off the bench. It's highly unlikely, but maybe a sign and trade for Bonner and a pick would appeal to Portland. In theory, Bonner and Jones would function the same way in the offense, except that Jones is a much more reliable shooter and more capable defender. Basically, he's Bonner x3.

mrspurs
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
james jones never impressed me..he seems lazy....he would be next to bonner in pops doghouse....and we all knows what happens when you get in pops doghouse...and all the talk of his arc shooting scares even more.......not sure bout the rest but it seems we live and die behind the arc.....teams just let us shoot 3's all day...cos they know we are easy to score on in the paint....find someone who can create incase tony or manu gets injured...or find timmy some help

Spurs Brazil
07-03-2008, 03:30 PM
James Jones The Best Option For Detroit?

Jul 03, 2008 4:01 PM EST
Free agent forward James Jones appears to be the best option for the Pistons, according to The Detroit News.

The Pistons have both the mid-level and veterans exception to either retain some of their players or sign some new blood this summer.

They are rumored to be interested in Jones, Mickael Pietrus and C.J. Miles.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53377/20080703/james_jones_the_best_option_for_detroit/