06-09-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_ryan_gomes.jpg

Ryan Gomes | F
Born: Sep 1, 1982
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 250 lbs. / 113,4 kg.
College: Providence
Years Pro: 2

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ryan_gomes/index.html)

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Hell yes. :tu

exstatic
06-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

Your small ball 4.

He's one of the best non-power position rebounders in the NBA, and can stroke the 3 ball, to boot.

AFBlue
06-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Starting forward for the T-Wolves and played huge minutes. Any respectable offer, I'd expect the T-Wolves to match.

T Park
06-09-2008, 10:24 PM
If JR Smith says no, then go all out for this guy.

exstatic
06-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Starting forward for the T-Wolves and played huge minutes. Any respectable offer, I'd expect the T-Wolves to match.

They have $55M in payroll committed for next year already with 12 players. I think they're trying to make a run at 2010, too. I think if we make it creative, 3 yrs, year 3 being a team option IF the team makes the second round any year, they may pass. It'll be a 3 year deal for them, and bite into their 2010 cap space.

shelshor
06-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Get Gomes

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Now you're talking...

K-State Spur
06-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Not a bad option, although I think his rebounding is somewhat exaggerated by many on this board.

THE SIXTH MAN
06-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Make it happen R.C.

koopa
06-09-2008, 10:50 PM
this is the guy i was screaming for the spurs to get when we drafted ian.......... so i'd love for the spurs to go after him

angelbelow
06-09-2008, 10:59 PM
this is an excellent choice, dedicated rebounder, can put points on the board, not sure about his D but hes a hustle energy player so i imagine it cant be that bad.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Yeah.

exstatic
06-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Not a bad option, although I think his rebounding is somewhat exaggerated by many on this board.

5.5 in 28 minutes for his career is smokin'. That would compare favorably with any of our big men not named Duncan.

ducks
06-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah.

how much great one

Bob Lanier
06-09-2008, 11:26 PM
That would compare favorably with any of our big men not named Duncan.
This is probably what was meant by exaggerated.

Career rebound rates:
Duncan: 18.4%
Thomas: 15.8
Oberto: 15.7
Bonner: 11.4
Horry: 11.0

Gomes: 11.5
(and a few others by way of comparison)
St. Stephen Jackson 6.6
Lebon James: 9.7
James Jones: 7.7
Carlos Delfino: 10.5
Bruce Bowen: 5.9
J.R. Smith: 5.5
Desagana Diop: 15.6
Tayshaun Prince: 8.2
Paul Pierce: 9.8
Shawn Marion: 15.0

He's a hustle guy and an underrated, fairly dependable scorer. Rebounds well for a tweener forward (because he's spent quite a bit of time at the four). Tough but can't really guard anyone at either position.

Reminds me of a bigger John Salmons, with less D.

Mr. Body
06-09-2008, 11:27 PM
how much great one

how much great what

K-State Spur
06-09-2008, 11:35 PM
5.5 in 28 minutes for his career is smokin'. That would compare favorably with any of our big men not named Duncan.

Last year he averaged 7.7 rebounds per 40 minutes. That's not bad, but nowhere near "SMOKIN".

For comparison:

That's only 1 more board per 40 minutes than Udoka. It's a board less per 40 minutes than Bonner. And over 2 rebounds less per 40 minutes than the averages of Oberto, Thomas, and even Elson in his time last year.

Gomes does some things well. But yes, you are over-valuing his rebounding ability.

Spurs da champs
06-09-2008, 11:49 PM
This guy maby a solution to Lamar if lakers keep him next year, and maby even David West.

ducks
06-09-2008, 11:50 PM
how much great what

$

bigdog
06-10-2008, 02:42 AM
This guy maby a solution to Lamar if lakers keep him next year, and maby even David West.

he's not a solution to Lamar or West, but he's a hell of alot better than our backup wings. we can play small ball 4 if needed, he is a good rebounder for his size, and he can shoot.

I would love it if we could pick him up.

sprrs
06-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Last year he averaged 7.7 rebounds per 40 minutes. That's not bad, but nowhere near "SMOKIN".

For comparison:

That's only 1 more board per 40 minutes than Udoka. It's a board less per 40 minutes than Bonner. And over 2 rebounds less per 40 minutes than the averages of Oberto, Thomas, and even Elson in his time last year.

Gomes does some things well. But yes, you are over-valuing his rebounding ability.

For being 6'7" I'll take it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-10-2008, 05:41 AM
I really like Gomes as a player, but he duplicates what Ime does and doesn't do a bunch of things we need.

Although a great rebounder, he's not much of an athlete and can't create his own shot. If we're looking for that 4th scorer, Gomes is not the guy.

So how do we afford Gomes and get our young athlete? Draft the athlete and sign Gomes with the MLE maybe, but I still think we need athletes and scorers, and Gomes is neither.

timvp
06-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Gomes is tough for me to read. First of all, I think the T'Wolves will keep him ... if for no other reason to save face on the KG trade. Plus he's a good young talent who is probably worth MLE money.

Gomes could work at small forward for the Spurs but he's a little bit on the immobile side. He's really a tweener between 3 and 4. If this were ten years ago, he wouldn't last in the NBA. Luckily for him, tweeners can survive today due to the rule changes allowing more help defense.

To get Gomes, the Spurs would have to use their full MLE. I like his rebounding. I like that he plays hard but also plays smart and under control. He's missing a little bit of the scoring edge I'd like but Gomes does have a chance to get even better.

If the Spurs offered him the entire MLE and got him .... I'd be happy yet a little bit skeptical on how he'll fit. He's not a scorer and he's not athletic, but it could still work because he's just a damn solid basketball player.

mrspurs
06-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Gomes is tough for me to read. First of all, I think the T'Wolves will keep him ... if for no other reason to save face on the KG trade. Plus he's a good young talent who is probably worth MLE money.

Gomes could work at small forward for the Spurs but he's a little bit on the immobile side. He's really a tweener between 3 and 4. If this were ten years ago, he wouldn't last in the NBA. Luckily for him, tweeners can survive today due to the rule changes allowing more help defense.

To get Gomes, the Spurs would have to use their full MLE. I like his rebounding. I like that he plays hard but also plays smart and under control. He's missing a little bit of the scoring edge I'd like but Gomes does have a chance to get even better.

If the Spurs offered him the entire MLE and got him .... I'd be happy yet a little bit skeptical on how he'll fit. He's not a scorer and he's not athletic, but it could still work because he's just a damn solid basketball player.
i like that word skeptical....what would he bring in the PO's? is he just another bonner? go spurs :flag:

MI21
06-10-2008, 08:18 AM
I've had a soft spot for Gomes since he started playing well for Boston a few years back. Had some big games and even some triple doubles (or close to it) from memory.

I'm always a big fan of guys that are just flat out good, smart basketball players. He is somewhat of a tweener, but he has improved his range to help make him able to play the 3. I'd rather a guy out there that knows how to play but may not have a position, over some dumbass who fits the criteria of a 3 or a 4.

Would be very happy if the Spurs could snap him up.

MoSpur
06-10-2008, 08:30 AM
This is the guy I want the Spurs to target. He would be #1 on my list if I were the Spurs GM.

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 08:40 AM
For being 6'7" I'll take it.

his height is what it is. it doesn't make him any better or worse of a rebounder.

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 08:42 AM
seriously, where are people getting that he is a 'great rebounder'?

somewhere in the decent to good range? yes.

but you're basically ignoring the stats if you think he's anything special in that category.

i like the guy and he's not the worst option out there that we could chase. but let's look at what he actually is.

Bruno
06-10-2008, 08:49 AM
I really like Gomes. He could be a great option if Spurs go after an athletic scorer like CDR or Walker in the draft.
And he is 6'7.75" with a 7'2" wingspan.

rascal
06-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Wingspan. You expect him to fly?

SPURSGOAT
06-10-2008, 09:56 AM
HELL YES!!! I think the T'Wolves will match anything we can offer though... :depressed

MI21
06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Wingspan. You expect him to fly?

Wingspan can help make up for his shorter height in comparison to most PF's if he was to play some PF and can also help him compete against players with a larger vertical.

MoSpur
06-10-2008, 11:29 AM
He's has the capability to be a very good rebounder for his size. He does it well, however, he doesn't rebound well consistently. For his size, he's good at rebounding. He has had enough games with double digit rebounds to show that when he is focused he can clean the glass. W/more experience and better coaching, he will be a guy who grabs around eight boards a night. That's a lot better than what the Spurs have other than Tim Duncan.

rascal
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Wingspan can help make up for his shorter height in comparison to most PF's if he was to play some PF and can also help him compete against players with a larger vertical.

Just kidding. When i see wingspan I think of planes.

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 11:38 AM
He's has the capability to be a very good rebounder for his size. He does it well, however, he doesn't rebound well consistently. For his size, he's good at rebounding. He has had enough games with double digit rebounds to show that when he is focused he can clean the glass. W/more experience and better coaching, he will be a guy who grabs around eight boards a night. That's a lot better than what the Spurs have other than Tim Duncan.

It depends on how many minutes you gave him.

If given equal minutes - Bonner, Thomas, and Oberto are better rebounders. Udoka isn't far off.

Since Gomes would likely be strictly a role guy, I'd only expect 4 or 5 boards per night - not to diminish the value of that.

MoSpur
06-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Maybe, but the centers on the Spurs roster right now are given 20 plus minutes and neither of them can grab double digit rebounds. This guy will grab double digit rebounds with 30+ minutes no doubt. Will he get that here? Doubt it, but if he gets around five rebounds with only getting around 20 minutes, who cares? That's pretty good for his size.

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Maybe, but the centers on the Spurs roster right now are given 20 plus minutes and neither of them can grab double digit rebounds. This guy will grab double digit rebounds with 30+ minutes no doubt.

You're basing that off nothing more than hope though.

He averaged 7.7 boards per 40 minutes last year. That's actually LOWER than Oberto or Thomas' averages per 40.

MoSpur
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
True, but Gomes isn't a center though.

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
No, he's not. He's a good (but not great) rebounder as an undersized 4.

The Spurs may very well have a need for that next year and he could be a very productive player with this team.

But I don't think we should be making him out to be anything that he's not.

angelbelow
06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
No, he's not. He's a good (but not great) rebounder as an undersized 4.

The Spurs may very well have a need for that next year and he could be a very productive player with this team.

But I don't think we should be making him out to be anything that he's not.

im surprised that his rebounding average is so low, i remember a stretch, perhaps a short stretch, where he was racking up double digit rebounds. maybe hes a good rebounder but plays on a bad team, anyone actually watch a majority of this guys games?

SCdac
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I've been high on Gomes for awhile, from just an NBA-fan perspective, as a decent fantasy-basketball player, and as a player I'd love to see in a Spurs uniform. Even if he isn't exactly what we "need", he would help.

I was talking about him around this time last year

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1796358&postcount=14

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1432058&postcount=617

loveforthegame
06-10-2008, 07:00 PM
He's my 2nd choice behind Azubuike. I'd be thrilled with either choice but I'm not getting my hopes up this summer.

bigdog
06-11-2008, 06:11 AM
I'd have this guy ahead of Azubuike on my list. He's taller, longer, and a better rebounder. Although I like Kelenna, this guy would be higher on my list if I were RC and Pop.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-11-2008, 10:46 AM

Sounds like you see him much the way I do.

If they get Gomes and then draft an explosive wing, I could live with that, but he doesn't fit the bill for what this team needs alone because he's not a scorer.

Fine all around player though.

MI21 - like you, I started following him at Boston and picked him up in fantasy a couple of seasons ago - he helped me win the title.

Oh, and I don't see the Wolves letting him walk. Why would they? They'll throw 6-8mil at him and overpay to keep him probably. No cap woes over there, right? They have a ton of salary coming off the cap next year. Jefferson, Gomes, Foye sounds like something to build around.

Tully365
06-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Regarding Minnesota's desire to keep him, I think everything hinges on who they draft. If they get a big, then Jefferson will play his natural position of PF instead of center like he did most of last year. This would take away Gomes' minutes at PF and maybe make him not worthy (in the eyes of Minnesota) of 5+ mil a year. They have Brewer and Snyder to play SF, who are both cheaper options. His rebounding stats last season were 5.8 rpg and a 9.4 rebounds per 48 minutes (same as LeBron). His wingspan is 7'2" and his standing reach is 8'10.5". Compare those with Carmelo Anthony, whose wing span is 7'0" and standing reach is 8'9" or Al Horford, whose wingspan is 7'0.75" and whose standing reach is 8'11". Melo is a SF/PF and Horford is a PF/C.
There are a number of things that impress me about Gomes. He started the season thought of as the number one or two guy off the bench and finished the season considered the #2 starter on the team behind Jefferson. His stats for the entire season were 12.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, and 1.8 apg... but his averages for the last 12 games of the season were 13.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg, and 3.3 apg.
He strikes me as a perfect #4 scoring option behind Parker, Manu & Tim-- not a guy who will demand or complain about shots or set plays, which I think could be a problem with JR Smith or Corey Maggette-type players. His BB IQ is high, he rarely gets in foul trouble, his +/- number is higher than Al Jefferson's, and his character is spotless. McHale is on record saying he wanted him to play more at the SF position, where he thought Gomes could "punish" opposing SFs with his size, but coach Wittman used him in the last few months of the season as the starting PF.
I could see the Spurs using him at both Forward spots depending on the matchups, and possibly even limited minutes at center, playing anywhere from 25-35 mpg. His presence would not impede the growth of a young wing player from the draft like Chris Douglas-Roberts or Courtney Lee...
That's my pitch-- whaddaya think?

angelbelow
06-16-2008, 01:51 AM
how much do you think hes worth? if we were to offer him a contract?

Tully365
06-16-2008, 02:04 AM
I think he's worth 4 mil per because the worst case scenario is he doesn't fit, in which case he'd still be an asset as trade bait...

Tully365
06-16-2008, 02:06 AM
Consider this: Luke Walton makes 4.4 mil/year, Desmond Mason makes 5.3, and Travis Outlaw makes 4.0 mil...

MoSpur
07-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Are the T-Wolves thinking about re-signing this guy? Should the Spurs take a look?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-01-2008, 12:38 PM
This I'd love to see. Not only is Gomes a great player...but his name reminds me of 'gnomes' which reminds me of that great Edge shaving cream commercial with Timmy and David...which makes me happy.

Therefore, everytime I'd see Gomes enter the game I'd picture David Robinson spinning a can of Edge gel on his finger and I'd smile a happy smile.

MoSpur
07-01-2008, 12:44 PM
LOL. That's great Chopper.

duncan228
07-01-2008, 01:07 PM
This I'd love to see. Not only is Gomes a great player...but his name reminds me of 'gnomes' which reminds me of that great Edge shaving cream commercial with Timmy and David...which makes me happy.

Therefore, everytime I'd see Gomes enter the game I'd picture David Robinson spinning a can of Edge gel on his finger and I'd smile a happy smile.

SGa9ezemB3o