PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: A Bee Gets Passed Over: S.A. Lessons

duncan228
06-09-2008, 10:43 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061008.buckharveycolumn.en.186a0441.html

Buck Harvey: A bee gets passed over: S.A. lessons
By Buck Harvey

LOS ANGELES — The “h” in his last name is silent, and the rest of him doesn’t say much, either. Doc Rivers doesn’t let his assistants talk to the media.

But Tom Thibodeau can still respond today. Maybe with arms outstretched, maybe with a roll of the eyes.

After all, this is his time. His defense has the Celtics within two games of a title, and he deserved a chance to talk to the Chicago Bulls.

Instead, the usual happened Monday, with the Bulls offering their head-coaching position to someone who has never coached on any level. That’s the way this business is, and Thibodeau learned these lessons long ago.

In San Antonio.

Others share his story, such as a current Spurs assistant. Mike Budenholzer has been Gregg Popovich’s external hard-drive for a decade, and it’s a good life. Budenholzer says that often.

But as effective as Budenholzer has been, he’s still seen as Thibodeau is — as a faceless worker bee without the punch to lead a locker room. Besides, how can a franchise sell someone no one knows?

Steve Kerr knew about Budenholzer. He knew, for example, Budenholzer told the Spurs’ huddle exactly what the Knicks would run on their last possession in the 1999 Finals.

So Kerr brought Budenholzer to Phoenix last week for an interview, and the Suns were thoroughly impressed. “He threw us for a loop,” one Phoenix executive said.

Not enough to hire him, of course, but Budenholzer understands the dance. Worker bees are never the first choice. Jeff Van Gundy, for example, needed Pat Riley to leave New York to get his chance.

Just doing the work isn’t enough. And where this became so clear to Thibodeau — where he learned all such lessons — came when he arrived in San Antonio in 1992.

Lesson No. 1 was Jerry Tarkanian. He had never coached in the NBA before, and he needed some help from Thibodeau with the nuances of the game. Tark once famously asked someone on press row how to call a 20-second timeout.

Tark would get fired early that season, and following him was Lesson No. 2. John Lucas had never coached in the NBA or in college.

Lucas was the energetic showman, and he did a lot with those Spurs. But Lucas wasn’t much for details. Sometimes, he would pretend to write on a clipboard during timeouts, exaggerating his movements for the crowd — when players later confided he wasn’t writing at all.

Thibodeau was the one who had the clipboard info, and he was good at it. He followed Lucas to Philadelphia, and that’s where Thibodeau met a teenager named Kobe Bryant.

Now Bryant smiles at the memory. “He has inside information on what I like to do,” Bryant said last week, “because he taught me most of the stuff.”

Thibodeau has kept on teaching. For 18 years he’s been an NBA assistant, and in 15 of those years, his defenses have ranked in the top 10. Last year, working for Van Gundy in Houston, the Rockets were No. 1 in defensive field-goal percentage.

Now the Celtics are No. 1. Now Thibodeau plugs Kevin Garnett into his system, and years of watching tape and shifting locker-room dynamics has brought him to a professional zenith. Kendrick Perkins told the Boston Globe, for example, that Thibodeau is “the best thing that has happened to us.”

Van Gundy goes further. Asked about Thibodeau as a potential head coach, Van Gundy told a reporter: “It’s come down to someone willing to take a chance. And when they do, it will be a home run.”

Monday was a whiff. Instead of waiting a week to talk to Thibodeau, the Bulls moved on ex-Spurs guard Vinny Del Negro.

Del Negro has never coached at any level. Coincidentally, he also arrived in San Antonio in 1992, and he was never a leader in those Spurs locker rooms, as Rivers was, nor was he seen as a workaholic. He preferred to tinker with his golf game.

But Del Negro climbed above Thibodeau because, well, he looks like a basketball coach.

That’s another reason Thibodeau should be speechless.

THE SIXTH MAN
06-09-2008, 10:54 PM
:rollin
Del Negro looks more like an accountant then an NBA coach.

Big P
06-09-2008, 11:00 PM
OK..I'll say it...the Del Negro experiment in Chicago will be a failure..wrong choice...again!

wildbill2u
06-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Hard to believe that a coach with his credentials can't get an interview, much less a job offer.

SenorSpur
06-09-2008, 11:32 PM
I heard that one of the reasons he got the job over D'Antoni was that Vinny was willing to work with the existing assistants and Bulls staff. Whereas, D'Antoni was only interested having total control over his operation. And with his coaching record, he earned that right. While Vinny has "0" skins on the wall.

pawe
06-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Mike Budenholzer will be the next head coach when POP leaves.

polandprzem
06-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Mike Brown

tmtcsc
06-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Vinny Del Negro ? THAT IS A JOKE. How does someone who was an average player, average play by play guy and average scout become anything but an "average" coach ?

That line about Lucas pretending to scribble strategy on a white board is priceless. The fact that it was true makes it even funnier.

urunobili
06-10-2008, 07:22 AM
i'd rather take Byron Scott in the Post Pop era... though i like Thibodeau as well

mrspurs
06-10-2008, 07:34 AM
the first article of the yr. that buck harvey wasnt a
(waste of space for me).........maybe something is in my coffee, im going fishing for sure...

1Parker1
06-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Tom Thibodeau is making Doc Rivers look like a genius. River's isn't a great coach and if it weren't for Thibodeu's defensive schemes that have turned around the Celtics franchise, no way the Celtics would have reached the finals or gotten the #1 record in the league.

jack sommerset
06-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Vinnie, I am still laughing. I wonder if it hit the Bulls yet? The next day hangover. Waking up next to the ugly fat girl you thought was so hot.