PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford's Mock Draft 4.0 - The projected Spurs pick

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 10:39 AM
ESPN's Chad Ford's latest mock drat. Look now at who he's got the Spurs picking. Where does he get this stuff?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080609
PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

San Antonio
Ty Lawson
Position: PG
Height: 5-11
Weight: 195
School: UNC

The skinny: Tony Parker is the man, but the Spurs have needed a solid backup for a while. Ty Lawson is a super-quick point guard who's going to have to learn how to play more than one speed for Gregg Popovich. However, he plays tough defense and limits turnovers and should be a great fit on the Spurs.

Rush is off the board to the Suns @ #15. Batum is off the board to Houston @ #25. He has the Spurs making this pick ahead of Walker and CDR. Go figure!

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97893

MoSpur
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't like that pick, but who knows when it comes to the Spurs

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I'd be surprised if all they could get out of this draft was a back-up point, although they could determine Lawson is better than any of the wings available.

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 11:17 AM
I'd be very disappointed if they went that way.

A combo guard (like Chalmers) would not be unforgivable.

But to use the first round pick on a guy who won't do much more than strictly back-up Parker (meaning he's only 8-10 mpg in the playoffs...if he's ready) just doesn't make much sense to me.

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 11:20 AM

But to use the first round pick on a guy who won't do much more than strictly back-up Parker (meaning he's only 8-10 mpg in the playoffs...if he's ready) just doesn't make much sense to me.

Me either. The pick has got to be one of those top-rated swingmen.

Marcus Bryant
06-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Chalmers is probably high on that draft board. RC's buddy coached him at KU. It's the safe, predictable route for the Spurs to take.

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
At least with Chalmers (who has the wingspan of a bigger player and played off the ball in college), you can make the argument that he and Parker could co-exist for stretches.

But with Parker entering his prime, and Manu still likely to have moments where he dominates the ball, I just can't see many available minutes for a 5'11 pure PG. It doesn't make sense when this team is flawed in other areas.

As much as we have been wanting at that position, I wouldn't blame any of our series losses in recent years on the back-up PG spot.

rascal
06-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Agree the spurs need more of an impact player with that first round pick. They need to trade up if thats what it takes to get their targeted player.

SPURSGOAT
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Wait for the second round for a backup PG... I will be upset if they pick a PG in the first round...

rascal
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Chalmers is probably high on that draft board. RC's buddy coached him at KU. It's the safe, predictable route for the Spurs to take.

I'm tired of the spurs playing it safe and conservative. They need a player who will be a part of the rotation and get quality minutes.

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure Chalmers is a safe/conservative pick. He's a classic tweener in every sense of the word.

It's a pretty big gamble that he would ever find a role with the team.

The conservative pick would be a guy like Lawson or a wing who is further along like Courtney Lee (although I would not mind Lee being the pick).

Twisted_Dawg
06-10-2008, 11:48 AM
I think it is even money that the Buford/Popvich team draft some big white center from
Europe or Russia.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-10-2008, 11:55 AM
This pick would be highly disappointing for me.

In other words, it would be a typical Spurs draft.

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 12:07 PM
This pick would be highly disappointing for me.

In other words, it would be a typical Spurs draft.

It wouldn't quite be the feeling of being stunned when I heard Marcus Williams' name be called, because Lawson I think can actually play, but I don't know if he's any better than Dee Brown (the old Illinois player).

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I think most of the folks here recognize, and have been clamoring for, help at the swingman spot. THe Spurs FO are smart enough to see this need too. Filling this position would seem to be the defacto top priority. Having said all that and for what this team needs now, the Spurs would be absolute idiots to take a backup PG with this pick.

It's too much of a reach and more importantly, there will likely be a couple of good swingmen available at that pick. A backup PG can be taken with either of those 2 second round picks.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2008, 12:20 PM
If the Spurs pick Lawson I will pluck my eyes out.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2008, 12:29 PM
If the Spurs picked Lawson with Douglas-Roberts still on the board I'd say that's grounds for canning everyone in the front office.

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
If the Spurs pick Lawson I will pluck my eyes out.

If that happens, a better idea would be to obtain miniature dolls of Pop, RC and Holt. Pluck their eyes out and hang them in effigy. :lol

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 01:35 PM
If the Spurs picked Lawson with Douglas-Roberts still on the board I'd say that's grounds for canning everyone in the front office.

agreed.

degenerate_gambler
06-10-2008, 01:54 PM
there's no way SA is looking at this guy with their 1st rounder right?

2centsworth
06-10-2008, 02:00 PM

there's more than enough grounds to can RC now, but if he were to leave douglas-roberts on the board my dislike would increase to hate.

timvp
06-10-2008, 03:11 PM
As I said in Lawson thread, the Spurs won't draft him. Lawson has already specifically said he doesn't want to play behind a good point guard -- and named TP when he said that. Mix in his DUI and I'd be shocked with the pick.

If the draft works out like the above mock, the Spurs have to take either CDR or Walker. Take either one of those players and it's a very successful draft.

urunobili
06-10-2008, 03:17 PM
As I said in Lawson thread, the Spurs won't draft him. Lawson has already specifically said he doesn't want to play behind a good point guard -- and named TP when he said that. Mix in his DUI and I'd be shocked with the pick.

If the draft works out like the above mock, the Spurs have to take either CDR or Walker. Take either one of those players and it's a very successful draft.

timvp: of those 2 which one you'd keep? for the sake of not creating a new Spur killer in NOLA in CDR i'd take him

Spurtacus
06-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Pass up on Roberts? No way! I'll take Roberts, Lee, or Chalmers over this guy.

K-State Spur
06-10-2008, 03:18 PM
there's more than enough grounds to can RC now

he's far from perfect, but really?

Spur-Addict
06-10-2008, 03:23 PM
timvp: of those 2 which one you'd keep? for the sake of not creating a new Spur killer in NOLA in CDR i'd take him

I'm not Tim, but i'd draft Walker, CDR just doesn't do it for me. He's a bit frail. If his game had a Rip Hammy jumper i'd be all for it. But, then again, he wouldn't be available there if he did now would he? LoL

The Truth #6
06-10-2008, 03:23 PM
It's probably a 50/50 partnership between Pop and RC on deciding whom to draft. In other words, if our pick sucks, Pop should probably deserve some of the blame. Meanwhile, Lindsey is in the corner playing on his laptop.

timvp
06-10-2008, 03:29 PM
timvp: of those 2 which one you'd keep? for the sake of not creating a new Spur killer in NOLA in CDR i'd take himCDR could help right away. He possibly could even start. He's a natural scorer who wouldn't need that much time to be productive. The only negative about him is his ceiling is rather limited.

Walker, on the other hand, is the ultimate high-risk, high-reward pick. If he didn't have two ACL tears and wasn't lackadaisical over the last year, he'd be a top ten pick.

If I'm the Spurs and those two are left on the board, it'd depend on how they plan to use the MLE. If they want to use the MLE on a big or a point, go with CDR. If they are going to use the MLE on a swingman, go with Walker.

td4mvp21
06-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Who is CDR?

leemajors
06-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Who is CDR?

douglas-roberts from memphis.

td4mvp21
06-10-2008, 04:37 PM
douglas-roberts from memphis.

Thanks.

SPURSGOAT
06-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Who is CDR?

Chris Douglas-Roberts

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chris-Douglas-Roberts-506/

hsxvvd
06-10-2008, 04:41 PM
If the Spurs Draft Lawson with CDR on the board I'm going to throw my laptop through the television.

Chad Ford is a cock.

SPURSGOAT
06-10-2008, 04:45 PM
If the Spurs Draft Lawson with CDR on the board I'm going to throw my laptop through the television.

Chad Ford is a cock.

Chad Ford has no idea what the Spurs are gonna do... if he would just look at the team he would be able to see where we are most hurting and it is not at backup PG... we could use that, but not first priority; can wait until the second round on that.

Ocotillo
06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Really, next week his mock will have us taking someone else.

AA2120
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM

what he said..

2centsworth
06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
he's far from perfect, but really?

RC has been brutal. He's lucky he has pop who can recruit old guys.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58590&highlight=recent+personel+decisions

AFBlue
06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I buy it....with a twist.

Spurs make a deal with Nuggets to draft a player they covet at #20 and pick Lawson at #26, then make the swap.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2008, 05:04 PM

Spurs make a deal with Nuggets to draft a player they covet at #20 and pick Lawson at #26, then make the swap.

:toast

SPURSGOAT
06-10-2008, 05:10 PM

Intersting.... I like it! :hat

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Ty Lawson Twists Ankle
Jun 10, 2008 5:51 PM EST

Draft prospect Ty Lawson twisted his ankle near the end of his workout with the Wizards on Monday, according to The News-Observer.

"I think I did well today," he said of his workout on Monday. "I rolled my ankle near the end. I stopped to get the ball and I slipped, but it is not that bad. It will be fine in a couple of days."

The Nuggets revealed that Lawson did inform them that the point guard would not be working out with them over the weekend, but the Tar Heel was expected to visit Denver on Tuesday.

He has until Monday to withdraw from the draft and maintain his eligibility at North Carolina.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52928/20080610/ty_lawson_twists_ankle/

Sway
06-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey it could be worse, the Spurs could pick another Euro who is never going to come over. Atleast this guy may see some time in a Spurs uniform.

:lol

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Chad Ford has no idea what the Spurs are gonna do... if he would just look at the team he would be able to see where we are most hurting and it is not at backup PG... we could use that, but not first priority; can wait until the second round on that.

Ford claims that the essence of his mock drafts are not "what he thinks a team should do", rather it's more what he believes a team will do. Based upon conversations with team insiders, GMs, their level of interest in watching specific players workouts, team needs, etc. Doesn't mean he's ever right, but that's was his explanation.

tmtcsc
06-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't think the Spurs would draft a rookie PG again. It takes too much time to run our team. Tony and Beno were it....unless Rose was available for us.

I can see us picking up a veteran PG that can score. Who ? You got me.

AFBlue
06-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Ford claims that the essence of his mock drafts are not "what he thinks a team should do", rather it's more what he believes a team will do. Based upon conversations with team insiders, GMs, their level of interest in watching specific players workouts, team needs, etc. Doesn't mean he's ever right, but that's was his explanation.

:tu

Which is why his mock draft is so volatile. He goes based on what he hears and "buzz" around particular players.

Last week it was all about Bill Walker and how he had shed 25lbs and looked good out on the court....so he was up to #22. Well, I guess some of the "buzz" died down and now he's at #29.

Plus, it's still relatively early....hell we're not even to the 16 Jun cutoff date for the final in/out decision to be made.