PDA

View Full Version : Schilling bashes Kobe!

Beeger43
06-10-2008, 12:57 PM
I enjoyed reading this. Straight from espn.com's Daily Dime.

Here's a selection of the courtside observations of Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, who was seated front and center for Game 2 wearing a Larry Bird jersey. An excerpt from his blog:

"This one stunned me a little bit. Who doesn't know Kobe Bryant right? I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy bitch at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench pissed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren't doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about "hey let's go, let's get after it" or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters pissed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team.

"...as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after-effects of conversations. He'd yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a 'whatever dude' look."

Bartleby
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98703

mrspurs
06-10-2008, 02:31 PM
reminds me of someone they called the other greatest player on the planet.....mike

1Parker1
06-10-2008, 02:34 PM
reminds me of someone they called the other greatest player on the planet.....mike

:lol True.

1Parker1
06-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Except of course, MJ would have won that game for them... :angel

angelbelow
06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Except of course, MJ would have won that game for them... :angel

yup, true story.

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah, Mike would've simply uttered his famous, "give me the ball and get the f$ck outta my way".

I don't know how I feel about the opinions coming from Mr. Bloody sock, himself.

Mr. Body
06-10-2008, 03:06 PM

Except he would have made it look joyful. Kobe makes it look painful and hateful.

Bob Lanier
06-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Who?

MoSpur
06-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Schilling is not my favorite person in the world. I don't care too much for his opinion.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-10-2008, 04:09 PM

There's a difference though. Mike could get away with it cuz he was a leader, and commanded respect because he was great. There's nothing wrong with the team leader getting frustrated with poor play, but Kobe was the one who was sucking those two games, and he blames everyone but himself.

I know some people's personalities differ, but I'm pretty sure Mike was one of those guys who they actually listened to. People even said opponents wanted to get on MJ's good side, they wanted to be his friend, or be liked.

Rolling eyes, means Kobe doesn't give that vibe. He's just an asshole. :lol

I'm sure his teammates "friends" probably sold their 9,000 dollar watches for profit.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Schilling is not my favorite person in the world. I don't care too much for his opinion.

I don't think these observations have been unique to him :lol. His blog really merits a "tell me something, I don't know" response.

Medvedenko
06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
There's a difference though. Mike could get away with it cuz he was a leader, and commanded respect because he was great. There's nothing wrong with the team leader getting frustrated with poor play, but Kobe was the one who was sucking those two games, and he blames everyone but himself.

I know some people's personalities differ, but I'm pretty sure Mike was one of those guys who they actually listened to. People even said opponents wanted to get on MJ's good side, they wanted to be his friend, or be liked.

Rolling eyes, means Kobe doesn't give that vibe. He's just an asshole. :lol

I'm sure his teammates "friends" probably sold their 9,000 dollar watches for profit.

There's of course the hypocrisy in your entire arguement. You don't know how it was to Mike's teammate prior to winning do you....there's too many quotes to mention regarding Mike bash players. There were a lot of people who were turned off by Mike and were traded, released etc. Coaches, and players alike. You become a leader through winning, and early on his career it was all about Mike, he figured it out though....which is what Kobe is doing this year. Kobe's been a bitch towards everyone around him since he came to the NBA, it's this year where he's turning the corner.

Pero
06-10-2008, 04:32 PM
it's this year where he's turning the corner.

Well it doesn't really seem like it right now. :lol

Borosai
06-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Is that a bus I hear?

Medvedenko
06-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Well it doesn't really seem like it right now. :lol

Well, it's yet to be determined.....also, once Kobe started to "motivate" his team they went on a crazy run in the 4th.....too bad they couldn't get over the hump. This year has been a huge bonus to laker fans. I'm enjoying the ride and have no problem with the C's winning it all.

GSH
06-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I enjoyed reading this. Straight from espn.com's Daily Dime.

Here's a selection of the courtside observations of Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, who was seated front and center for Game 2 wearing a Larry Bird jersey. An excerpt from his blog:

"This one stunned me a little bit. Who doesn't know Kobe Bryant right? I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy bitch at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench pissed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren't doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about "hey let's go, let's get after it" or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters pissed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team.

"...as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after-effects of conversations. He'd yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a 'whatever dude' look."

And that is why he should have remained the best player never to be named MVP. He managed to put a lid on it for long enough to finally get his individual award. But when things get tough, his true colors come through.

A lot of people seem to have forgotten the display he put on in the off-season, and the train wreck he caused in Licker Land. He got bailed out by a few people like Derek Fisher, Pao Gasol, Jerry West, and Michael Heisley. But every move Kobe made was motivated by Kobe's concern for Kobe.

He may be the Most Talented Player. (Although LeBron probably has something to say about that.) But he's not the most valuable. Too many people have to babysit, and take responsibility when things go wrong.

Avitus1
06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Kobe has truly become a team player he is nothing like he used to be....

angelbelow
06-10-2008, 05:57 PM
kobes body language was pretty bad last night, in the 3rd esp.

The Franchise
06-10-2008, 07:34 PM
kobes body language was pretty bad last night, in the 3rd esp.

:lmao ABC kept the camera in his face so much you couldn't help but see him pouting like a spoiled little sissy.

spurscenter
06-12-2008, 01:13 AM
By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Curt Schilling called out Kobe Bryant on the Boston Red Sox ace’s blog for yelling at his Los Angeles Lakers’ teammates in their Game 2 loss.

Schilling sat courtside in Boston wearing a Larry Bird jersey and flashing his World Series championship ring for TV cameras. He was within earshot of the Lakers’ bench and made some observations on Bryant.

“He’d yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a ‘whatever dude’ look,” Schilling wrote on his web site www.38pitches.com.

Asked if he was disappointed in Schilling’s comments, Bryant responded, “Go Yankees!” and pumped his fist, drawing laughter from reporters Wednesday.

Schilling wrote that Bryant came to the bench angry at every timeout and “yelled about something they weren’t doing, or something they did wrong. No dialogue about `hey, let’s go’ or whatever.” Schilling said Bryant’s comments were peppered with expletives.

Bryant was unapologetic.

“After the time of all those bleeps, we almost pulled off one of the greatest comebacks in history,” he said. “It seemed to motivate them pretty well.”

The Lakers rallied from 24 points down in the fourth quarter to get within two before losing 108-102. They won Game 3 Tuesday night and trail the series 2-1.

Bryant said he doesn’t worry that he’s too hard on his teammates.

“They’re used to it, and we all have thick skin around here,” he said. “We’re brutally honest with each other. We all love it.”

CALLER ID: Occasionally, Luke Walton picks up his phone and gets an earful.

“This is Paul Pierce,” the caller says. “You’re a bum, and all your teammates are bums.”

Only it isn’t actually Pierce—or Carlos Boozer or Carmelo Anthony. Instead, it’s just an attempt by Walton’s Hall of Fame father to motivate his son in the NBA finals.

“He wouldn’t even change his voice,” Luke Walton said.

Everyone in the NBA wants to win a title, but Walton has an added motivation: He won’t have to hear from his dad about their disparity in championships any more.

Or not as much, at least.

“It would be a lot easier to have dinner with him,” said the younger Walton, who played at Arizona. “He already talks trash about me not winning an NCAA championship.”

Bill Walton went to UCLA and won two championships, then added to his haul in the NBA when he won three more. He gave the championship rings to his parents, and Luke remembers seeing the baubles when he’d visit his grandparents.

So, if Luke wins one, would he give the ring to his dad?

“I don’t think a Lakers ring is safe in that house,” he said. “It might get mistakenly thrown out.”

STUDENT OF THE GAME: Kevin Garnett’s preparation begins long before he steps on the court.

The Boston Celtics star watches film of previous games once, sometimes twice. He looks for the defensive scheme being used against him and then tries to adjust accordingly in the next game.

It didn’t work so well in Game 3. He was limited to 13 points on 6-for-21 shooting in the Celtics’ 87-81 loss.

“I guess the consistency is the big question mark here,” he said. “Just being consistent with attacking, never letting Pau (Gasol) or whoever is in front of me off the hook. Got to be more consistent with that.”

Garnett is often seen yapping on the court and he says half of his comments are directed at teammates and half at himself.

“I’ve always said I’m my biggest critic, and Doc (Rivers) and people can tell me stuff, but it’s up to me,” he said.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson knows Garnett, along with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, will play better.

“If two of the three have good games, we have to keep one of those guys at a sub-par game if we’re going to have a chance to win,” he said.

BLAST FROM THE PAST: Doc Rivers reached into the past when he took over Boston’s storied franchise, inviting former Celtics to attend practice.

Sometimes, he didn’t know who they were.

“I actually met some Celtics that I didn’t know were Celtics, some of the newer guys that played one year,” he said, laughing. “I’m very protective about our locker room. I asked, `What the hell is he doing in the locker room?”’

And Rivers was told, “He used to be a Celtic.”

Rivers’ personal favorite is John Havlicek.

“He doesn’t say a lot, he just comes around and he’s him,” Rivers said. “I think that’s enough.”

The late Red Auerbach, who coached the Celtics to a record nine NBA titles, gave Rivers the best advice he’s heard.

“Be you,” Rivers recalled. “Don’t ever be concerned what anybody wants you to be as a coach or as a person.”

Auerbach offered two bits of basketball advice: “Be the agitators, don’t be the retaliators” and “Get the ball, don’t give up the ball.”

“I use both of those a lot with our players,” Rivers said.

AP Sports Writer Jimmy Golen contributed to this report.

slayermin
06-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Bill Walton went to UCLA and won two championships, then added to his haul in the NBA when he won three more. He gave the championship rings to his parents, and Luke remembers seeing the baubles when he’d visit his grandparents.

I thought Walton won two championships, one with Portland and one with Boston.

duncan228
06-12-2008, 02:15 AM
I thought Walton won two championships, one with Portland and one with Boston.

I think you're right, he has 2 Championships, Portland in '77, Boston in '86.

ShoogarBear
06-12-2008, 04:57 AM
I believe Schilling in this case. But do you really think he would give an honest opinion of anyone on the Celtics?

1Parker1
06-12-2008, 08:01 AM
CALLER ID: Occasionally, Luke Walton picks up his phone and gets an earful.

“This is Paul Pierce,” the caller says. “You’re a bum, and all your teammates are bums.”

Only it isn’t actually Pierce—or Carlos Boozer or Carmelo Anthony. Instead, it’s just an attempt by Walton’s Hall of Fame father to motivate his son in the NBA finals.

“He wouldn’t even change his voice,” Luke Walton said.

What an odd family.