PDA

View Full Version : Chris Simms wants out of Tampa..

degenerate_gambler
06-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Reports: Simms says relationship with Gruden 'totally broken'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Chris Simms says his relationship with Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden is irreparably broken and is seeking a trade or his outright release, the St. Petersburg Times and Tampa Tribune reported.

Simms, who suffered a ruptured spleen during a game in 2006 and spent most of 2007 on the injured reserve list, is sitting out the team's workouts this week and not sure he will attend next week's minicamp.

"It is totally broken," Simms said of his relationship with Gruden, the Tribune reported. "And it kills me to say that, because the Bucs have been great to me; the fans have been great to me … But the relationship between me and coach Gruden -- it's broken. It just is. And I don't see any way it's going to get better again."

According to the report, Simms has asked the Bucs for a trade or his outright release. He said the reason the team gave him for not doing so has been "muddled."

"I feel like I'm being held hostage," Simms said, according to the Times. "I hate that all this has happened. I love Tampa. My family loves it here. But I've been quiet long enough. I feel like it's time to let everybody know why I'm not out there."

Simms said his relationship with Gruden began deteriorating last year during training camp. He alleged Gruden never acknowledged the seriousness of the injury, asked him if it was all in his mind, and put him into a preseason game when he had been given few practice reps.

"I was nowhere near ready to go [for the preseason game]," Simms said, according to the Tribune. "I don't know what the reason was for having me out there. And for coach to say during camp that I was healthy and just wasn't practicing well, that was a low blow.

"I mean, he never once sat down at any point with me and asked me what I was going through, how I felt, even as a person. That said a lot to me. That's why I feel like I can never play for him again."

The team declined to comment on Simms' situation, the Tribune reported.

"I do believe that [Gruden] thought I might be faking it," Simms said, according to the Tribune. "I mean, he asked me, 'Is it in your head?' For him to say that, that's just not right. There are just a lot of things that I can never forgive him for."

According to the Tribune, Simms said if he has not been dealt or released by training camp, he will attend -- but he won't be a happy camper.

"I'll be there," Simms said, according to the Tribune. "If they want that media circus, they'll have it. But they have to know that I won't be happy, I won't ever be happy here again. Ever."

In another quarterback-related development, The Denver Post reported that according to two NFL sources, the Bucs are reportedly close to reaching a $3.5 million contract settlement with Jake Plummer, who has never played a down for the team.

The Bucs dealt for Plummer in March 2007, a day after he had faxed a letter to the NFL stating his intention to retire. However, Plummer had two years left on the contract he had signed with the Broncos at the time he was traded, and the Bucs were seeking about $7 million in signing bonus money from him, alleging he had failed to meet his obligation in the deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3435125

Extra Stout
06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
He need not worry; if he's healthy enough to play, then he'll get cut since the backup kicker is probably a better QB than he is.

N.Y. Johnny
06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Whats Gruden got now 7 QB's on the depth chart? Simms will be out of there soon enough.

BradLohaus
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
His career QB rating (71.2) is higher than Vince Young's (69).

Spur-Addict
06-11-2008, 12:28 AM

Yeah, but Vince can do things that Simms can't, like creating plays on the fly(at least not at Vinces level of capability). But, Simms would be a good pick up for several teams. For instance, THE BEARS.

timvp
06-11-2008, 01:04 AM
"I mean, he never once sat down at any point with me and asked me what I was going through, how I felt, even as a person. That said a lot to me. That's why I feel like I can never play for him again."

:violin

jack sommerset
06-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Miami would love to have that guy.

Whisky Dog
06-11-2008, 06:20 PM
The kid was soft at UT. The reason they didn't play in a title game after losing to the shitty as Bufs in the Big 12 title game.

What a puss. The old man's toughness and pride didn't travel down the silver spoon.

N.Y. Johnny
06-11-2008, 06:53 PM

I'd kill for this guy on the Jets, hell ol' noodle arm is going to be the starter again and Kellen Clemens is becoming the single most overrated passer in NFL History up there, he's the second coming of Todd Marinovich.

Homeland Security
06-12-2008, 08:57 AM
I'd kill for this guy on the Jets, hell ol' noodle arm is going to be the starter again and Kellen Clemens is becoming the single most overrated passer in NFL History up there, he's the second coming of Todd Marinovich.
Chris Simms should be able to dupe at least one more team into thinking he knows how to play football. Maybe that team could be the Jets.

GaryJohnston
06-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Chris Simms is a puss. I've watched every game he played in college and you could tell right off the bat.

But Gruden should release him and quit being a bitch himself. He has no plans to ever use Chris.

LocosPorJuana
06-14-2008, 12:08 PM
"Simms says relationship with Gruden 'totally broken' "

That's so totally uncool. Why can't simms just tattoo gruden's name on his other ankle like he did with that assistant coach? :p:

On a serious note, Chris is not a bad Qb. He would flourish under a team that doesn't ask for him to do too much. A team with a heavy running game, like the vikings would be ideal. He might have been pampered at Young University, but he proved to be tough when he took that hit to the spleen and still wanted to keep playing. :wow

SScarrJ
06-14-2008, 02:48 PM
He was actually pretty good for Tampa in their playoff run but their offensive line was a absolute mess the next year. The guy throws a great deep ball, if he can get with a team like Minnesota or Baltimore he could do very well.

I'll never forgive him for that Big12 championship collapse vs Colorado, but he isn't so soft like he was in college. The guy was a warrior when he got his spleen nuked vs Carolina. The play happened in the 3rd quarter, and the whole 4th quarter he was outside the pocket making plays. He will always have my respect for that game.

whottt
06-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Wow! The number of people in this thread that don't realize Chris Simms completley sucks ass, is truly astounding.

I didn't realize the ST Football Forum had that many posters that don't know shit bout football.

Live and learn I suppose...

You guys that like Simms should just have your title changed to, "we don't know shit about football" and save the rest of us from having to read your football related posts.

And yes...if you would have this guy on your team, you don't know shit about football.

mytespurs
06-15-2008, 10:53 AM

Chris Sims???!!!! :wow :lol

Hmmm...don't know about that..don't the Fins have enough question mark QB's on their roster now....Beck, McNown Or McCown, Henne??

O-Factor
06-15-2008, 11:17 AM
If it wasn't for Phil Simms demanding that Mack Brown play his suckass son, the Longhorns would have won a National Championship before Black Jesus arrived.

Major Applewhite >>>>>>>>> Chris Simms

Chris is used to having everything in life handed to him on a silver platter, that's why he's being such a bitch now.

"Daddy, make me starting QB of peewee football! Daddy, make me starting QB on the varsity team! Daddy, make me starting QB at Texas!" Unfortunately for Chris Simms, Jon Gruden doesn't give a fuck who his daddy is.

I have to agree, but he did show me some toughness playing with that ruptured spleen

Extra Stout
06-16-2008, 01:06 PM
"Daddy, make me starting QB of peewee football! Daddy, make me starting QB on the varsity team! Daddy, make me starting QB at Texas!" Unfortunately for Chris Simms, Jon Gruden doesn't give a fuck who his daddy is.
In three years, forum posters will be applauding Chris Simms' toughness when he grits it out in the NFL on CBS production trailer despite suffering with gallstones.

Spurtacus
06-17-2008, 02:25 AM
If it wasn't for Phil Simms demanding that Mack Brown play his suckass son, the Longhorns would have won a National Championship before Black Jesus arrived.

Major Applewhite >>>>>>>>> Chris Simms

Chris is used to having everything in life handed to him on a silver platter, that's why he's being such a bitch now.

:lmao

----------------

So true. I applaud Simms for playing with that ruptured Simms. Takes some guts there. I think the kid wants to play football but he's not starter material in the NFL. AFL maybe?

ATRAIN
06-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Who doesnt have a better QB rating than VY. Cleo Lemon has a higher rating at 71.0

O-Factor
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Who doesnt have a better QB rating than VY. Cleo Lemon has a higher rating at 71.0

It doesn't suprise me that having the worst set of WRs in the league translates to a low QB rating. Here in Austin they showed alot of Titans games. It was unfathomable how much those wideouts sucks

Doesn't suprise me at all.

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Titans didn't do VY any favors by passing up the top 15ish WR's in the draft.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 08:59 PM
:violin

:lol