PDA

View Full Version : Why does Avery ge no love?

Bito Corleone
06-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Why is Avery getting passed on for a bunch of guys who either haven't been head coaches (Michael Curry and Vinny Del Negro) or guys who really have yet to do anything as a head coach (Terry Porter)???

He's had some bad luck in the playoffs but that has more to do with that fact that Dirk is soft and is not a real leader.

Avery;s career winning % as a coach is .735!!! Maybe this will work out in our favor and Avery will come sit next to Pop on the Spurs bench next year

SPURSGOAT
06-10-2008, 04:34 PM
He is maybe just taking some time off... would not surprise me if down the road he gets a coaching gig from someone that gets fired at mid season or the end of a bad season...

ducks
06-10-2008, 04:34 PM
he is making 4 million a year for the next 3 years
if he takes a job he loses 12 million
then only gets paid what that team gives him

most teams think he is not worth 12 million for 3 years

I think he is worth about the price of a bullet

Medvedenko
06-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm surprised as well.....he's a good coach and a good motivator. He'd be sweet on a young team like the Hawks or Bobcats.

SPURSGOAT
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
he is making 4 million a year for the next 3 years
if he takes a job he loses 12 million
then only gets paid what that team gives him

Dang must be nice... :downspin:

Ocotillo
06-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm surprised as well.....he's a good coach and a good motivator. He'd be sweet on a young team like the Hawks or Bobcats.

That job will be open within a year to 15 months.

mrspurs
06-10-2008, 05:07 PM
heck id wait a while....wait till they kill a few coaches before next season ends, come in and takum to the PO's.....and with all that money, im sure his schedule is full of todo lists...me being here means im not doing one right now....oh well....go spurs go

Avitus1
06-10-2008, 05:32 PM
I think he is just laying low and thinking about what he should do next.

DarrinS
06-10-2008, 05:56 PM
NBA players don't like him, that's why.

Tim never really like him in SA and I know Dirk doesn't like him.

lurker
06-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Is there supposed to be high demand for a coach that took a good team and turned them into garbage, and then threw them all under the bus and refused to accept any blame for their failure?

ludda
06-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Avery showed strong interest in Chicago once they got the first pick, but why would they hire Scott Skiles 2.0? Both micromanagers that grate on the players eventually.

Phoenix never even considered Avery, guess Kerr doesn't like him and Avery isn't exactly known for his offensive creativity.

I don't know why Detroit didn't take more time to consider Avery, probably the money thing.

Also, Avery's playoff record isn't too great. He's nowhere near the caliber of Pop, PJ, even Sloan IMO.

Marcus Bryant
06-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Pop benefits from having a former head coach as his top assistant, IMO. I kinda wish Larry Brown was available to spend a season or two back in SA in that role.

endrity
06-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Pop benefits from having a former head coach as his top assistant, IMO. I kinda wish Larry Brown was available to spend a season or two back in SA in that role.

And Avery had Del Harris, and dismissed him after 07 claiming that he did not give the right input during that series.

Del's situation has been discussed at length at dallasbasketball.com, just to say that I am not making this up.

cze1860
06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
i don‘t know。

SenorSpur
06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
And Avery had Del Harris, and dismissed him after 07 claiming that he did not give the right input during that series.

Del's situation has been discussed at length at dallasbasketball.com, just to say that I am not making this up.

I never bought that Stan Van Gundy-esque, company line about "Del wanted to spend more time with his family"

bigfan
06-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Now lets see, sit on my ass for the next three years and pocket 12 million, or work, well, anywhere? Not even a tough decision. Id worry about it on the golf course. After 3 years he can worry about it.

The Truth #6
06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I wonder if he doesn't coach in 3 years if interest in him will still be high. I'm guessing not. Why, I'm not sure. He grates on players but so does Larry Brown and yet teams trip over themselves to bring him onboard.

tmtcsc
06-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Can't play right in the sandbox.

bigdog
06-11-2008, 06:07 AM
he gets no love because he's a dick. his players don't like him and his ego makes it worse.
theres just something about his personality as a coach that people don't like.

i don't see him sitting out for 3 years. he should be back next year, he said he was thinking about taking a year off.

SenorSpur
06-11-2008, 06:11 AM
I hear that the two jobs he's interested in most are Spurs and Hawks. Interesting enough, since Pop just signed an extension to keep him in place until 2012. And for those thinking Avery would be valuable as an assistant - forget it. His ego would NEVER allow him to take a demotion of this sort - EVER AGAIN.

Brutalis
06-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Full of himself. He's a traitor anyhow.

Biggems
06-11-2008, 07:35 AM

not no....but HELL NO....I dont Larry Brown anywhere near the Spurs ever again. He is a total destroyer of young talent. Also, he is a defensive coach, and we already have that in Pop. We need PJ back, or at least someone who can be creative offensively. Pop has always been lacking with his offensive gameplanning.

SenorSpur
06-11-2008, 08:02 AM

Why? Larry Brown, like all coaches, has an ego too. Why would he even consider such a notion? Much less the pay cut - despite the fact he's already filthy rich.

He's a big dog coach. Always has been. Always will be.

urunobili
06-11-2008, 08:20 AM
I hear that the two jobs he's interested in most are Spurs and Hawks. Interesting enough, since Pop just signed an extension to keep him in place until 2012. And for those thinking Avery would be valuable as an assistant - forget it. His ego would NEVER allow him to take a demotion of this sort - EVER AGAIN.

Plus i don;t see him meshing with this lockeroom... AJ time in SAT as a coach or assistant will come in the post Duncan era...

SenorSpur
06-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Plus i don;t see him meshing with this lockeroom... AJ time in SAT as a coach or assistant will come in the post Duncan era...

Excellent point. As great a coach as LB is, he can at times be a cancer in his own lockerroom. He falls in love with a player one day, then wants to trade him the next. He can be a devisive force if he has any input into personnel decisions. Look at his last two stops (NY and Det)

endrity
06-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I never bought that Stan Van Gundy-esque, company line about "Del wanted to spend more time with his family"

... and you were right;

Del spent the whole season on Cuban's payroll as a 'special assistant' and he watched every single game from a luxury suite in the AAC. He was still very much involved with the organization, just not on the bench, since Avery thought 'there were too many voices in the huddle'.

z0sa
06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
LB's misuse of Darko has to be one of the worst coaching decisions ever - you could easily say Darko sucks, but its impossible to tell what he could of brought to the board had he not been shit on since day 1 in Detroit.

SenorSpur
06-11-2008, 09:05 AM
... and you were right;

Del spent the whole season on Cuban's payroll as a 'special assistant' and he watched every single game from a luxury suite in the AAC. He was still very much involved with the organization, just not on the bench, since Avery thought 'there were too many voices in the huddle'.

Paul Westphal joined the Mavs coaching staff this past season. Supposedly he was brought in to help open up the offense. I didn't see him as an Avery guy. Turns out, Westphal gave up trying to provide input because AJ never listened to him anyway.

He has the audacity to proclaim himself to be a man of "honesty and integrity". Yet he couldn't wait to throw any and everyone under the bus during his last press conference. All the while, claiming he was against the Jason Kidd trade and that "it was "miracle" the Mavs made the playoffs at all.

He's a freaking fraud. He's in a great position in that he doesn't need to work right now. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a difficult time getting another head coaching job. He can't get out of the way of his ego.

The Truth #6
06-11-2008, 11:19 AM
The only two places AJ are interested in are Atlanta and SA? What opportunity for him is there in SA? Atlanta probably would be one of the few places he could do well, the Clippers maybe another.

AJ got results in the beginning so I gave him credit for that. But as others have said his pride/ego gets in his way. Didn't he just write a book on leadership? I thought only dickweeds like Coach K or Phil Jackson wrote books on how to lead. I can't imagine Pop ever writing a book telling people how to act. It seems phony.

I do think he has talent as a coach. In fact, I think he knows more Xs and Os then probably a lot of head coaches. Guys like Doc Rivers and Phil Jackson get by through persona of leadership, meanwhile they have talented underlings who give them offensive and defensive systems to employ. I think Avery actually knows a bit about the technical aspects of the game, but again, his personality gets in the way as he grinds players down for not being perfect.

It seems like many head coaches are just figureheads who project authority and lead through the power of their will while the assistants grind away doing the nuts and bolts. In all fairness, I would put Pop in this scenario. i could easily be wrong however. But I do get the sense that Avery tries to do it all, so he's not only alienating his players but he's alienating his coaching staff as well.

LakerLanny
06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Why is Avery getting passed on for a bunch of guys who either haven't been head coaches (Michael Curry and Vinny Del Negro) or guys who really have yet to do anything as a head coach (Terry Porter)???

He's had some bad luck in the playoffs but that has more to do with that fact that Dirk is soft and is not a real leader.

Avery;s career winning % as a coach is .735!!! Maybe this will work out in our favor and Avery will come sit next to Pop on the Spurs bench next year

He is overrated. I am not so sure any coach wouldn't have had the same winning percentage as him with that roster.

He also pulled a 1 vs 8 loss in the playoffs, then didn't make it out of the 1st round this year against a team many thought Dallas would beat.

Of course, in his defense, he didn't make the bonehead trade for The Ladies Man (JKidd) while giving up two very underrated players (Harris and Diop) that submarined this season.

I say give some other guys a shot. Curry has paid his dues in Detroit and Terry Porter did a very good job in Milwaukee before losing a political battle and the Bucks haven't been anywhere near as good since.

SenorSpur
06-11-2008, 11:26 AM
The only two places AJ are interested in are Atlanta and SA? What opportunity for him is there in SA? Atlanta probably would be one of the few places he could do well, the Clippers maybe another.

AJ got results in the beginning so I gave him credit for that. But as others have said his pride/ego gets in his way. Didn't he just write a book on leadership? I thought only dickweeds like Coach K or Phil Jackson wrote books on how to lead. I can't imagine Pop ever writing a book telling people how to act. It seems phony.

I do think he has talent as a coach. In fact, I think he knows more Xs and Os then probably a lot of head coaches. Guys like Doc Rivers and Phil Jackson get by through persona of leadership, meanwhile they have talented underlings who give them offensive and defensive systems to employ. I think Avery actually knows a bit about the technical aspects of the game, but again, his personality gets in the way as he grinds players down for not being perfect.

It seems like many head coaches are just figureheads who project authority and lead through the power of their will while the assistants grind away doing the nuts and bolts. In all fairness, I would put Pop in this scenario. i could easily be wrong however. But I do get the sense that Avery tries to do it all, so he's not only alienating his players but he's alienating his coaching staff as well.

You're probably right. Because he trusts no one. Assistant coaches, players, GMs, you name it. He's perpetually paranoid.

Harry Callahan
06-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Pop gave his assistants credit for the Hack a Shaq stuff in the playoffs against Phoenix (which was genious, BTW). I think his ego is somewhat under control compared to some of his peers.

SenorSpur
06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Pop gave his assistants credit for the Hack a Shaq stuff in the playoffs against Phoenix (which was genious, BTW). I think his ego is somewhat under control compared to some of his peers.

I disagree. If you listen to him talk, which is about all the time, he staunchly defends his decisions, his system and his honor. While the decisions, actions and motives of everyone else come into question. He's the only coach in the league that yells up and down the scorer's table on every possession. After a while, this would grate on anyone.

Avery is an egotistical, self-absorbed phony. He's burned plenty of bridges along the way. Ask Steve Kerr, Danny Ferry, and Mark Cuban.

jack sommerset
06-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Avery was at the right place at the right time. Thats why he got to coach the Mavericks. He sucked. I will say he is better then the Bulls new hire.