PDA

View Full Version : Ex-referee Tim Donaghy blows whistle on NBA dirty secrets

Magic_Johnson
06-10-2008, 05:32 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2008/06/10/2008-06-10_exreferee_tim_donaghy_blows_whistle_on_n.html

Ex-NBA referee Tim Donaghy told the feds two refs fixed the outcome of one playoff series - and that officials were told not to eject star players from games for fear of hurting ticket sales.

The bombshell allegations are contained in a court document filed Tuesday by Donaghy's lawyer. It describes the “inner workings" of the NBA in which top league executives used referees to manipulate games.

Donaghy, who pleaded guilty in Brooklyn Federal Court to charges of betting on games he officiated, told FBI agents “league officials would tell referees that they should withhold calling technical fouls on certain star players because doing so hurt ticket sales and television ratings," the document said.

Donaghy claims he was told that two refs who were “company men” acting in the interest of the NBA conspired to extend a playoff series in 2002 to a seventh game.

The referees allegedly ignored flagrant fouls committed by the team that needed to win. They also reportedly called "made-up fouls" against the other team which led to the ejection of two of their players. The team favored by the refs won that night and the next game to win the series.

The document does not name the teams. The Nets were in that playoff series, losing the championship finals to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Donaghy also claimed a supervising referee told refs that an unidentified NBA executive did not want them to call technical fouls on star players or boot them from the game.

Donaghy told feds the league reprimanded a referee who disobeyed that edict in January 2000 and ejected an unnamed star player from a game in the first quarter.

Lawyer John Lauro filed the four-page letter to Federal Judge Carol Amon because none of the information was included in the government’s letter to the judge seeking leniency for Donaghy when he is sentenced next month.

Lauro has gone to war against Brooklyn federal prosecutors for offering plea deals to Donaghy's betting accomplices that give them less time than the disgraced ref, despite his extensive cooperation.

Donaghy claims referees have accepted autographs, free merchandise and meals from team coaches and managers. He told probers one referee used a team's practice facility to exercise and another played tennis with an NBA coach.

"These activities were against NBA rules, indeed, such inappropriate relationships could influence the outcome of games," Lauro wrote.

Lauro said he withheld the names of the teams, referees and league officials because the feds may still investigate the allegations

dbreiden83080
06-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Ugh, more on this clown

angelbelow
06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
actually quite interesting, would love to read more one this.

rAm
06-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Kind of makes you think doesn't it?

baseline bum
06-10-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2008/06/10/2008-06-10_exreferee_tim_donaghy_blows_whistle_on_n.html

Ex-NBA referee Tim Donaghy told the feds two refs fixed the outcome of one playoff series - and that officials were told not to eject star players from games for fear of hurting ticket sales.

The bombshell allegations are contained in a court document filed Tuesday by Donaghy's lawyer. It describes the “inner workings" of the NBA in which top league executives used referees to manipulate games.

Donaghy, who pleaded guilty in Brooklyn Federal Court to charges of betting on games he officiated, told FBI agents “league officials would tell referees that they should withhold calling technical fouls on certain star players because doing so hurt ticket sales and television ratings," the document said.

Donaghy claims he was told that two refs who were “company men” acting in the interest of the NBA conspired to extend a playoff series in 2002 to a seventh game.

The referees allegedly ignored flagrant fouls committed by the team that needed to win. They also reportedly called "made-up fouls" against the other team which led to the ejection of two of their players. The team favored by the refs won that night and the next game to win the series.

The document does not name the teams. The Nets were in that playoff series, losing the championship finals to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Donaghy also claimed a supervising referee told refs that an unidentified NBA executive did not want them to call technical fouls on star players or boot them from the game.

Donaghy told feds the league reprimanded a referee who disobeyed that edict in January 2000 and ejected an unnamed star player from a game in the first quarter.

Lawyer John Lauro filed the four-page letter to Federal Judge Carol Amon because none of the information was included in the government’s letter to the judge seeking leniency for Donaghy when he is sentenced next month.

Lauro has gone to war against Brooklyn federal prosecutors for offering plea deals to Donaghy's betting accomplices that give them less time than the disgraced ref, despite his extensive cooperation.

Donaghy claims referees have accepted autographs, free merchandise and meals from team coaches and managers. He told probers one referee used a team's practice facility to exercise and another played tennis with an NBA coach.

"These activities were against NBA rules, indeed, such inappropriate relationships could influence the outcome of games," Lauro wrote.

Lauro said he withheld the names of the teams, referees and league officials because the feds may still investigate the allegations

:lol

I wonder which series he was talking about? :king

Magic_Johnson
06-10-2008, 05:39 PM
i think he's talking about the LA vs Sac serie

Tippecanoe
06-10-2008, 05:40 PM
surprise?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2008, 05:40 PM
:lol

I wonder which series he was talking about? :king

The West Finals.

atxrocker
06-10-2008, 05:41 PM
what earth shattering news. kings got robbed by the league but they will make sure no proof comes out publically. book it, it's not happening. but everybody who watched that game knows what the fuck happened. pathetic.

baseline bum
06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
i think he's talking about the LA vs Sac serie

The West Finals.

Hence the :king smilie above

LakeShow
06-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Hate to say it but in the back of my mind, I've wondered about the NBA. With the big discrepancies in the finals now on fouls and non calls it makes you wonder. Damn, not the game I love! :depressed

Magic_Johnson
06-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Hence the :king smilie above

it was a sacarsm.
and our posts came in the same moment.

LakeShow
06-10-2008, 05:52 PM
This couldn't have broke at a worst time for the Lakers. If the Lakers don't get the calls tonight, I will be convinced that the league is shaky.

TheSanityAnnex
06-10-2008, 05:57 PM
This couldn't have broke at a worst time for the Lakers. If the Lakers don't get the calls tonight, I will be convinced that the league is shaky.How did game 6 of the 2002 WCF not convince you of this? :flipoff

27 freethrows, 2 players ejected, and a Bibby bloody nose that somehow fouled Kobe Bryant's elbow..........all in the 4th quarter?

xtremesteven33
06-10-2008, 05:58 PM
i knew that lakers team 2000-2002 had something going on.

DazedAndConfused
06-10-2008, 05:59 PM
i knew that lakers team 2000-2002 had something going on.

They could also be talking about the Nets - Celtics series. LAL vs. BOS could have happened in '02.

GooberNuts
06-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Here's another article on it - slightly different but says most of the same things... http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8231176?MSNHPHMA

LakeShow
06-10-2008, 06:02 PM
and the spurs winning with crummy teams during the nba's attempt to go global makes you wonder as well.

CuckingFunt
06-10-2008, 06:02 PM
How did game 6 of the 2002 WCF not convince you of this? :flipoff

27 freethrows, 2 players ejected, and a Bibby bloody nose that somehow fouled Kobe Bryant's elbow..........all in the 4th quarter?

I don't know how much stock I'd put into the allegations of a guy who's likely trying anything he can to reduce his sentence, BUT, as I said on another board, if I've ever seen a game where I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was actually fixed, that would be the one. That game was fucking insane.

Twisted_Dawg
06-10-2008, 06:03 PM

Doesn't make me think. I have ALWAYS thought there were serious problems with the officiating. My first taste was the 1979 SA/Wash series.

How about Phoenix shooting 64 FT's in the 1993 WCF final game against Seattle. No way the league wanted Seattle playing the Mighty Bulls, when it could have Sir Charles against Michael Jordan.

What about SAC/LA 2002 WCF series where Kobe busted Bibby's jaw and lip with his elbow? The Kings were up in the series 3-2, had a 1 point lead with 10 seconds to play and the Lakers inbounding the ball. Kobe tries a swim move around Bibby and slamming his elbow into Bibby's mouth. Bibby got the foul and Kobe shot FT's. Kobe should have been called with Bibby shooting FT's. The series went back to LA which won the series. A Presidentail candidate remardked the league should be investigated.

What about the Mavs shooting 125 FT's in 3 game span in the 2006 series against SA. That is over 40 per game for a team that previoulsy was shooting 25 per game.

I could go on and on and on.

rAm
06-10-2008, 06:10 PM
and the spurs winning with crummy teams during the nba's attempt to go global makes you wonder as well.

lol @ you

Bricklayer
06-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Must you always recycle what I say? Sheeesh...........

He has been alleging a lot of things against anybody he can slime. That's certainly an obvious target. But the question obviously is can he prove any of it? If he could, that would obviously be the bombshell of all bombshells. Always been the one game, the one reffing job that I have never been abel to truly reconcile myself with.

I don't know how much stock I'd put into the allegations of a guy who's likely trying anything he can to reduce his sentence, BUT, as I said on another board, if I've ever seen a game where I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was actually fixed, that would be the one. That game was fucking insane.

hater
06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Doesn't make me think. I have ALWAYS thought there were serious problems with the officiating. My first taste was the 1979 SA/Wash series.

How about Phoenix shooting 64 FT's in the 1993 WCF final game against Seattle. No way the league wanted Seattle playing the Mighty Bulls, when it could have Sir Charles against Michael Jordan.

What about SAC/LA 2002 WCF series where Kobe busted Bibby's jaw and lip with his elbow? The Kings were up in the series 3-2, had a 1 point lead with 10 seconds to play and the Lakers inbounding the ball. Kobe tries a swim move around Bibby and slamming his elbow into Bibby's mouth. Bibby got the foul and Kobe shot FT's. Kobe should have been called with Bibby shooting FT's. The series went back to LA which won the series. A Presidentail candidate remardked the league should be investigated.

What about the Mavs shooting 125 FT's in 3 game span in the 2006 series against SA. That is over 40 per game for a team that previoulsy was shooting 25 per game.

I could go on and on and on.

I remember that play exactly. It was Dick Bevetta I beleive who called foul on Bibby's mouth.

I was not even rooting for Kings and I said, WHAT THE FUCK?

oh and BTW, remember 0.4?

endrity
06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
They better investigate what's going on in the league!!!!

Tippecanoe
06-10-2008, 06:19 PM
They could also be talking about the Nets - Celtics series. LAL vs. BOS could have happened in '02.

no it cant. the nets/celtics series lasted only 6 games. the article clearly stated that the fixed series went on to a seventh game.

Spur-Addict
lol @ you

My thoughts exactly. Only thing that could be questioned is 05, that's the only team close. (DET)

GooberNuts
Does anyone have a clip of that bibby/kobe incident? I searched on youtube but couldn't find much

Harry Callahan
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Phillip,
I think we now know where the asterisk should reside. In Los Angeles.

DazedAndConfused
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
As usual instead of pointing the fingers where they should be pointed (at the refs, Stern, and the NBA higher ups), Spur fan is calling out Phil Jackson.

TheSanityAnnex
06-10-2008, 06:23 PM
This couldn't have broke at a worst time for the Lakers. If the Lakers don't get the calls tonight, I will be convinced that the league is shaky.

How did game 6 of the 2002 WCF not convince you of this? :flipoff

I find it funny how Laker fans denied this game being rigged over and over and over.................and now claim their own series is rigged, yet won't acknowledge what has benefited them in the past.

Tippecanoe
06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Does anyone have a clip of that bibby/kobe incident? I searched on youtube but couldn't find much

no, sorry, but i did find this kobe/webber incident that looked suspect (well, at least to me it did)

hs32qRdmmq4

Spur-Addict
06-10-2008, 06:27 PM
As usual instead of pointing the fingers where they should be pointed (at the refs, Stern, and the NBA higher ups), Spur fan is calling out Phil Jackson.

A man with a Philosophical mindset is no idiot. For him to further exacerbate the problem he is well aware of is uncalled for. Thus, the attention payed to him is warranted. But, aside from that, the front office is definetly at fault.

endrity
06-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Salvatore worked that game 6 I think.

He also worked the pivotal game 5 of the 06 Finals, the one where Dirk was hitting the tough shots and Wade was shooting free throws to "match his heroics". F.... bullshit, that's what the NBA is. I am sorry I have spent so much on this sport.

robbie380
06-10-2008, 06:32 PM
here is espn's story...looks like van gundy may not have been insane :lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

Donaghy docs allege refs altered games, broke league rules

ESPN.com

Updated: June 10, 2008, 7:13 PM ET

Jeff Van Gundy ultimately backed off comments that a referee told him officials had targeted Yao Ming in the Houston Rockets' 2005 first-round playoff series against the Dallas Mavericks. Maybe Van Gundy was right after all.

A letter sent to the sentencing court on behalf of convicted former referee Tim Donaghy outlines just such a plan. Donaghy's legal team is trying to demonstrate his cooperation with a federal government investigation before he is sentenced on July 14 on felony charges for taking cash payoffs from gamblers and betting on games himself.

Documents

• Tim Donaghy, right, claims that other referees were involved in altering NBA games. Read PDF

• The Donaghy legal team addresses the NBA's claim that he must pay $1 million restitution. Read PDF

In other documents filed with the Brooklyn court, Donaghy's lawyers responded to the NBA's claim that he must pay $1 million in restitution to cover the cost of the league's private investigation.

The letter alleging referees altered games mentions only the year 2005, but the circumstances make it apparent that it is referring to the Rockets-Mavs series.

"Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3's owner complained to NBA officials," the letter says. "Team 3's owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. Referee Supervisor Z informed the referees about his instructions. As an alternate referee for that game, Tim also received these instructions."

Mavs owner Mark Cuban complained after his team lost the first two games of the series, and Dallas went on to beat Houston in seven games. Van Gundy said that a working referee had told him about the league's plan. Donaghy's letter claims that Supervisor Z contacted the coach. Van Gundy was fined $100,000.

Looking at box scores from the series, however, the only game in which Yao fouled out was Game 1. He did average 4.4 fouls per game in the series.

The letter also details an incident in the 2002 playoffs in which Donaghy alleges that two referees, who were known as NBA "company men," wanted to extend a series to seven games. "Team 5" could have wrapped up the series in Game 6 but saw two players foul out, lost the game and ultimately the series.

Only one series went to seven games in the 2002 playoffs: Los Angeles Lakers against Sacramento Kings.

In Game 6, the Lakers made 34-of-40 free throws to 18-of-25 for the Kings. In the fourth quarter alone, Los Angeles hit 21-of-27 from the line while Sacramento made 7-of-9. After that game, a 106-102 Lakers win, Kings coach Rick Adelman expressed his frustration with the officiating.

"Our big guys get 20 fouls tonight and [Shaquille O'Neal] gets four? You tell me how the game went," Adelman said. "It's just the way it is. Obviously, they got the game called the way they wanted to get it called."

Donaghy also alleges that team executives conspired with the league to prevent star players from being called for too many fouls or being ejected. He claimed that league officials told referees that doing so would "hurt ticket sales and television ratings."

According to the letter, when an official did eject a star player in the first quarter of a game in 2000, he was privately reprimanded.

In addition to game-altering allegations, Donaghy's letter claims that many officials carry on "relationships" with team executives, coaches and players that violate their NBA contracts.

"Tim described one referee's use of a team's practice facility to exercise and another's frequent tennis matches with a team's coach," the letter states.

The NBA has not commented on Donaghy's allegations. Donaghy's attorney and federal prosecutors also declined to comment to The Associated Press on Tuesday. Donaghy faces up to 33 months in prison.

atxrocker
06-10-2008, 06:33 PM
where are all the mav fans who compare that series to thier choke jobs now?

endrity
06-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I am here,

always believed the Kings were hosed in game 6,

always believed that the Mavs were hosed in games 3,5,6 of the 06 Finals.

And appearently the Rox were hosed against us as well. If that's the case I won't hide behind any arguments. The 05 Mavs weren't that great anyway.

DazedAndConfused
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Does anyone remember this kind of outrage towards the refs during the 80's and early 90's?

endrity
06-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Does anyone remember this kind of outrage towards the refs during the 80's and early 90's?

I don't, maybe the league at the time was doing very well on its own and had no interest in trying to manipulate ratings, or promote stars.

This decade is full with awful decisions in key moments.

InRareForm
06-10-2008, 06:38 PM
27 Fourth Quarter Free Throws For Lakers.

The Proof Is In The Pudding

TheSanityAnnex
06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Interesting tidbit from a kings fan over at kingsfans.com

(Side note: About a month after the game, NBA TV replayed the game, and with about five minutes left in the fourth quarter, the game cut off and NBA Inside Stuff with Ahmad Rashad came on. Honestly. The game cut off in the middle of the fourth quarter and never came back on. I swear. I'll never forget it.)

tlongII
06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
I've known this since game 7 of the 2000 WCF.

porscha
06-10-2008, 06:46 PM
geez..this is the only time I'm glad that the Spurs were never have the league's or ref's love :ihit

Capt Bringdown
06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
This is a blockbuster story that should eclipse even the finals coverage.

shelshor
06-10-2008, 06:52 PM
This is a blockbuster story that should eclipse even the finals coverage.

I have to wonder if the talking sock puppets will have the stones to even mention it during the game

InRareForm
06-10-2008, 06:54 PM
NBA and ABC have a billions dollar lease til 2015, i doubt they will mention much of it.

GrandeDavid
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Rings?

Tim Duncan = 4

Shaq = 3*1
Kobe = 2*1

trueD
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM

I do believe the game will be called semi-fairly tonight. :lol

Seriously, who didn't know there was something going on with that game? But to hear the truth come from a source is TROUBLING.

trueD
06-10-2008, 07:19 PM
So...everyone knows that Bob Delaney reffed Game 2 of 2008 Celts/Lakers AND Game 6 of the 2002 Kings/Lakers, right?

monosylab1k
06-10-2008, 07:22 PM

lol @ atxcocker. No, you really aren't obsessed with the Mavs or their fans. a huge scandal has just broken out that very likely vindicates your team from their chokejob of a series, NOT ONE MENTION OF THE MAVS ANYWHERE IN THIS STORY, NO SPECULATION NO NOTHING, yet you still bring them up. what a stupid cocksucker.

td4mvp21
06-10-2008, 07:26 PM
He may just be trying to cover his ass, but the fact that a lot of us find it believable should tell you something.

atxrocker
06-10-2008, 07:31 PM
lol @ atxcocker. No, you really aren't obsessed with the Mavs or their fans. a huge scandal has just broken out that very likely vindicates your team from their chokejob of a series, NOT ONE MENTION OF THE MAVS ANYWHERE IN THIS STORY, NO SPECULATION NO NOTHING, yet you still bring them up. what a stupid cocksucker.

that atxcocker is pure gold, kid. you should really try your luck in comedy, it's obviously your niche. and give me a fucking break, it was only a matter of time till one of you roaches came in here with your usual bullshit about the kings being inferior, choking the series away, peja dissapearing, posting horry pics or anything else a third grader would use as a burn. bound to happen. i was asking where you maggots were because it never fails. ANY thread related to the kings is bound to generate lots of mav troll posts because (most of) ya'll hang on our nuts. so fuck yourself.

monosylab1k
06-10-2008, 07:33 PM
that atxcocker is pure gold, kid. you should really try your luck in comedy, it's obviously your niche. and give me a fucking break, it was only a matter of time till one of you roaches came in here with your usual bullshit about the kings being inferior, choking the series away, peja dissapearing, posting horry pics or anything else a third grader would use as a burn. bound to happen. i was asking where you maggots were because it never fails. ANY thread related to the kings is bound to generate lots of mav troll posts because (most of) ya'll hang on our nuts. so fuck yourself.

wow you are one sensitive, pissy little bitch.

atxcocker
06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
:cry:cry the mavs fans keep making fun of me!

greenroom
06-10-2008, 07:44 PM
He may just be trying to cover his ass, but the fact that a lot of us find it believable should tell you something.

The Problem for the NBA is that this is not something that is new. Donaghy told this to the feds during the investigation. Donaghy is just making this public to show that he was not the only one. What the NBA is trying to say is that it was just him, so I do not have a problem with him trying to cover his ass and get his side of the story out. So I think it does have more legs than Stern will give it.

E20
06-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I think atxrocker has Dirk and Peja mixed up.

trueD
06-10-2008, 07:47 PM
The Problem for the NBA is that this is not something that is new. Donaghy told this to the feds during the investigation. Donaghy is just making this public to show that he was not the only one. What the NBA is trying to say is that it was just him, so I do not have a problem with him trying to cover his ass and get his side of the story out. So I think it does have more legs than Stern will give it.

Watch for the book by Tim Donaghy, "How They Did It".

He's pissed and has a long time to think about stuff. Should be juicy.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-10-2008, 08:04 PM

:lmao

All it proves is that the Spurs are the only ones to overcome the favoritism, and be a thorn in Sterns side for the last 5 years. Their championships were earned legitimately despite the media darlings. You can't cheat the league ALL the time. :lmao The 2005 campaign after Stern had no options was a failed attempt to market Manu Ginobili, and take advantage of the international appeal of the Spurs only after the fact that the Lakers were a joke, and there was no other dominant team besides the non-all-star Pistons and the all offense Suns/Shaq-Wade Miami Heat failed to make it.

All the even years have had lame questionable officiating since that blatantly tainted Kings series in 2004....(the refs influence in 2007 doesn't count because of the well-known rule violation, which came as a result of a lousy Suns coaching staff and a couple moronic Suns players. )

duncan228
06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
SI.com's version:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/06/10/betting.probe.ap/index.html

Donaghy implicates other referees

NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA referees, influenced by cozy relationships with league officials, rigged a 2002 playoff series to force it to a revenue-boosting seven games, a former referee at the center of a gambling scandal alleged Tuesday.

Without identifying anyone or naming teams, Tim Donaghy also claimed the NBA routinely encouraged refs to ring up bogus fouls to manipulate results but discouraged them from calling technical fouls on star players to keep them in games and protect ticket sales and television ratings.

The allegations were contained in a letter filed by a lawyer for Donaghy, who pleaded guilty last year to felony charges alleging he took cash payoffs from gamblers and bet on games himself. The 41-year-old Donaghy faces up to 33 months in prison at sentencing on July 14.

"If the NBA wanted a team to succeed, league officials would inform referees that opposing players were getting away with violations," the letter said. "Referees then would call fouls on certain players, frequently resulting in victory for the opposing team."

The league called Donaghy's allegations false and self-serving, saying the scandal was limited to him and two co-defendants, both former high school classmates who also pleaded guilty to gambling charges.

"The NBA remains vigilant in protecting the integrity of our game and has fully cooperated with the government at every stage of its investigation," Richard Buchanan, NBA executive vice president and general counsel, said in a statement. "The only criminal activity uncovered is Mr. Donaghy's."

Donaghy's lawyer has sought to convince a federal judge in Brooklyn that Donaghy, of Bradenton, Fla., deserves more credit for coming forward before he was charged to disclose behind-the-scenes misconduct within the NBA. The letter, filed Monday, suggests prosecutors have hurt Donaghy's chances for a lesser prison term by downplaying the extent of his cooperation.

Both Donaghy's attorney, John Lauro, and prosecutors declined comment.

In one of several allegations of corrupt refereeing, Donaghy said he learned in May 2002 that two referees known as "company men" were working a best-of-seven series in which "Team 5" was leading 3-2. In the sixth game, he alleged the referees purposely ignored personal fouls and called "made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6."

"Team 6" won the game and came back to win the series, the letter said.

The letter also alleged manipulation during a 2005 playoff series.

"Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3's owner complained to NBA officials," the letter said. "Team 3's owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. ... The referees followed the league's instructions and Team 3 came back from behind to win the series. The NBA benefited from this because it prolonged the series, resulting in more tickets sold and more televised games."

Donaghy's letter said that in the first of several meetings with prosecutors and the FBI in New York in 2007, he named names while describing "various examples of improper interactions and relationships between referees and other league employees, such as players, coaches and management." For example, it said, referees broke NBA rules by hitting up players for autographs, socializing with coaches and accepting meals and merchandise from teams.

lefty
06-10-2008, 09:15 PM
SI.com's version:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/06/10/betting.probe.ap/index.html

Donaghy implicates other referees

NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA referees, influenced by cozy relationships with league officials, rigged a 2002 playoff series to force it to a revenue-boosting seven games, a former referee at the center of a gambling scandal alleged Tuesday.

Without identifying anyone or naming teams, Tim Donaghy also claimed the NBA routinely encouraged refs to ring up bogus fouls to manipulate results but discouraged them from calling technical fouls on star players to keep them in games and protect ticket sales and television ratings.

The allegations were contained in a letter filed by a lawyer for Donaghy, who pleaded guilty last year to felony charges alleging he took cash payoffs from gamblers and bet on games himself. The 41-year-old Donaghy faces up to 33 months in prison at sentencing on July 14.

"If the NBA wanted a team to succeed, league officials would inform referees that opposing players were getting away with violations," the letter said. "Referees then would call fouls on certain players, frequently resulting in victory for the opposing team."

The league called Donaghy's allegations false and self-serving, saying the scandal was limited to him and two co-defendants, both former high school classmates who also pleaded guilty to gambling charges.

"The NBA remains vigilant in protecting the integrity of our game and has fully cooperated with the government at every stage of its investigation," Richard Buchanan, NBA executive vice president and general counsel, said in a statement. "The only criminal activity uncovered is Mr. Donaghy's."

Donaghy's lawyer has sought to convince a federal judge in Brooklyn that Donaghy, of Bradenton, Fla., deserves more credit for coming forward before he was charged to disclose behind-the-scenes misconduct within the NBA. The letter, filed Monday, suggests prosecutors have hurt Donaghy's chances for a lesser prison term by downplaying the extent of his cooperation.

Both Donaghy's attorney, John Lauro, and prosecutors declined comment.

In one of several allegations of corrupt refereeing, Donaghy said he learned in May 2002 that two referees known as "company men" were working a best-of-seven series in which "Team 5" was leading 3-2. In the sixth game, he alleged the referees purposely ignored personal fouls and called "made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6."

"Team 6" won the game and came back to win the series, the letter said.

"Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3's owner complained to NBA officials," the letter said. "Team 3's owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. ... The referees followed the league's instructions and Team 3 came back from behind to win the series. The NBA benefited from this because it prolonged the series, resulting in more tickets sold and more televised games."

Donaghy's letter said that in the first of several meetings with prosecutors and the FBI in New York in 2007, he named names while describing "various examples of improper interactions and relationships between referees and other league employees, such as players, coaches and management." For example, it said, referees broke NBA rules by hitting up players for autographs, socializing with coaches and accepting meals and merchandise from teams.

Mavs - Rockets

Lakers_55
06-10-2008, 09:32 PM
As a Laker fan, seeing the revelation that outcome ofgame 6 of the WCF in 2002 was rigged doesn't surprise me. I remember the outrage from Sacramento. I, as most of you, could make a case for plenty of fixes. I have seen some where superstars were playing as if they were bought off by the mob to tank the game. I won't list any games or series I think were shady, no point in that. What's at stake is, the entire credibility of the NBA. I know everyone says there is a conspiracy to get the LA vs. Boston finals. Even I, a trusting fan, wonder now if the finals matchup wasn't rigged.

Ok, I a Laker fan, admit we got the benefit of a fix in 2002. Wonder how many other times we got help from outside, or the screw turned on us. They need to clean this league up or start a new one. Now, the halftime show is discussing it, only quoting the article.

Stern is denying it, lol. what else?

dbreiden83080
06-10-2008, 09:41 PM

Oh yeah Spurs 2003, 2005 and 2007 just blew ass. :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
06-10-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-11/23/xin_31110123084947115761.jpg

Slovenia and the VI is mine!!!!1111

mavs>spurs2
06-10-2008, 09:56 PM

:lmao Mavs/Heat was even worse than that series..I mean seriously I know it's your job to be a douche..but at least try to be an educated douche..

greenroom
06-10-2008, 10:02 PM
What pisses me off even more is that Sterns response is that well he is trying to just make sure his sentence is lighter. Well no shit, but if he is lying then that would make his sentence worse??
I am sorry, but I happen to believe Donaghy more than Stern on this. What does Donaghy have to gain by rolling over?? He is admitting that he gambled, but he is trying to say it was not just me. He accepts his part for gambling on the NBA. But where is Stern?? He is just saying he is a felony you cannot trust a felony????

Where there is smoke there is Fire.

This will be the NBA's version of the Steroids for MLB and if it does not admit its mistakes I wonder if the league will be around for long

Tek_XX
06-10-2008, 10:13 PM
*asterick!!!!!

milkyway21
06-10-2008, 11:15 PM
In one of several allegations of corrupt refereeing, Donaghy said he learned in May 2002 that two referees known as “company men” were working a best-of-seven series in which “Team 5” was leading 3-2. In the sixth game, he alleged the referees purposely ignored personal fouls and called “made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6.”

“Team 6” won the game and came back to win the series, the letter said.

Only the Los Angeles Lakers-Sacramento Kings series went to seven games during the 2002 playoffs. And the Lakers went on to win the championship.

At the time, consumer advocate Ralph Nader and the League of Fans, a sports industry watchdog group, sent a letter to Stern complaining about the officiating in Game 6 of the Western Conference finals.

The Lakers, who beat Sacramento 106-102 in that game in Los Angeles, shot 27 free throws in the final quarter and scored 16 of their last 18 points at the line.

In this April 10, 2007 file ph…

AP - Jun 3, 5:54 pm EDT

“Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3’s owner complained to NBA officials,” the letter said. “Team 3’s owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. … The referees followed the league’s instructions and Team 3 came back from behind to win the series. The NBA benefited from this because it prolonged the series, resulting in more tickets sold and more televised games.”

In that same series, the letter says “Team 3” lost the first two games of the series and that team owner complained to NBA officials. The letter also alleges that the opposing team’s coach later was fined $100,000 after revealing an NBA official informed him of the behind-the-scenes instructions.

That would correspond with the 2005 first-round playoff series between the Houston Rockets and the Dallas Mavericks, in which Mark Cuban complained to officials and Jeff Van Gundy was fined.

so much for th e asterisk, Lakers......... :lmao

efrem1
06-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I find these charges utterly fantastic. I am a laker hater, but surely these charges aren't true. However, if there is any truth to this story, I would say shame on you Stern!!

ducks
06-10-2008, 11:49 PM
the nba games need refs paid outside of the nba

DazedAndConfused
06-10-2008, 11:51 PM
The NBA needs to fire Stern and clean house. Get rid of all the refs and start over.

cornbread
06-11-2008, 12:04 AM
2002*

How ironic.

pawe
06-11-2008, 12:16 AM
there are always mobs or gambling people involved in sports but this one is very different because stern is so obsessed in promoting the NBA that the sport is blatantly being replaced from being competitive, fair, athletic and camaraderie to pure entertainment just to gain tv ratings. Total backfire! Now, no matter how hard a team played for their win/championship they will always be suspected of conspiracy.

Capt Bringdown
06-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Something happened on the way to the supposed finals of the century. Maybe - it will be interesting to see if the media buries this story.

robbie380
06-11-2008, 12:31 AM
i thought this was funny

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/stuff/cf_officials_nba_site.jpg

Larry89
06-11-2008, 12:43 AM
http://i27.tinypic.com/2chuq9e.jpg

foul on Bibby that gave Kobe Freethrows at end of game 6 when Kings could have tied it anyways.

UV Ray
06-11-2008, 12:55 AM
The NBA needs to fire Stern and clean house. Get rid of all the refs and start over.

Exactly. That is the only way the league will earn back even a modicum of credibility. Anything less than a complete scrape deserves a boycott.

Spur-Addict
06-11-2008, 12:56 AM

foul on Bibby that gave Kobe Freethrows at end of game 6 when Kings could have tied it anyways.

Can you make a link with that? I'd like to save it. I'd appreciate it man...

-Thanks for the link

DazedAndConfused
06-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Can you make a link with that? I'd like to save it. I'd appreciate it man...

-Thanks for the link

Jesus Christ that's terrible. Not much even I can say about that except Game 5 had some similar questionable calls in the Kings favor.

pawe
06-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Every other night game schedule for the 08 WCF stinks of conspiracy too.

Indazone
06-11-2008, 01:45 AM
What pisses me off even more is that Sterns response is that well he is trying to just make sure his sentence is lighter. Well no shit, but if he is lying then that would make his sentence worse??
I am sorry, but I happen to believe Donaghy more than Stern on this. What does Donaghy have to gain by rolling over?? He is admitting that he gambled, but he is trying to say it was not just me. He accepts his part for gambling on the NBA. But where is Stern?? He is just saying he is a felony you cannot trust a felony????

This will be the NBA's version of the Steroids for MLB and if it does not admit its mistakes I wonder if the league will be around for long

This is far worse than a few players getting all hopped up on roids. This goes all the way to the top to the Commissioner of the NBA. This is a huge stink and it won't go away until the FBI blows the lid and brings charges against the NBA. Rigging games benefits only gamblers. Stern wants certain teams in the finals why? Gambling. In fact, I would not be suprised to find organized crime behind all this lurking behind the scenes.

shelshor
06-11-2008, 04:09 AM

How many NBA refs are convicted felons?
How many NFL, NHL or MLB refs have convictions for anything?

MateoNeygro
06-11-2008, 07:33 AM

Damn and they called the foul on bibby that's unbelievable!! It look like kobe meant to do that shit. that was some fucking UFC shit

greenroom
06-11-2008, 07:42 AM
How many NBA refs are convicted felons?
How many NFL, NHL or MLB refs have convictions for anything?

As of today only 1, that I know of.

But we are talking about two different things. One is him betting on games. The other is the league fixing games. Do I think that there are more refs betting on games NO.

Do I think that refs have been working with the league on fixing games to be in the leagues best interest yes.

MadDog73
06-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Can the NBA take away the Lakers 2002 trophy and give it to the Kings instead?

;)

monosylab1k
06-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Can the NBA take away the Lakers 2002 trophy and give it to the Kings instead?

;)

Probably not cuz it wasn't the Finals. But they sure as hell can take the trophy away from LA.

MadDog73
06-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Probably not cuz it wasn't the Finals. But they sure as hell can take the trophy away from LA.

What, the Kings couldn't beat the Nets? :bking

monosylab1k
06-11-2008, 09:09 AM
What, the Kings couldn't beat the Nets? :bking

:lol true. But then there would be a lot of pissed off Nets fans. Well, a few of them anyways.

101A
06-11-2008, 09:12 AM
My company's season tickets cost ~$250 per seat (2) per game this season; have been going up, of course, but have never been cheap. If what I have been paying for is not what it is purported to be......

FWD, help me out here, do I have a case?

MadDog73
06-11-2008, 09:15 AM
My company's season tickets cost ~$250 per seat (2) per game this season; have been going up, of course, but have never been cheap. If what I have been paying for is not what it is purported to be......

If you can prove it.

Which, actually, any game Donaghy admitted to fixing should be easy to do.

Larry89
06-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Er, I made a mistake Kings could were only down one so they could have tied or gone ahead, they would have gotten the ball back if Bibby's nose hadn't fouled Kobe

xtremesteven33
06-11-2008, 10:32 AM
I think this really cements the Spurs as one of the greatest champions of all time.
overcoming adversity, the media, the referees, and hard playoff battles.

i LOVE my spurs

DazedAndConfused
06-11-2008, 10:45 AM
I think this really cements the Spurs as one of the greatest champions of all time.
overcoming adversity, the media, the referees, and hard playoff battles.

i LOVE my spurs

No. Spurs won in the off years of the NBA when there weren't any good teams.

Who was their best competition outside of '03? The fucking Suns and Mavs. Enough said.

monosylab1k
06-11-2008, 10:49 AM

Who was their best competition outside of '03? The fucking Suns and Mavs. Enough said.

That is a genius basketball take, Jeff.

xtremesteven33
06-11-2008, 12:00 PM

ur an idiot.

the suns were a great team that the spurs made look silly. the freakin Pistons were an awesome team. and just being able to win 4 in 9 years is a testemant to how dominant a team is.

Twisted_Dawg
06-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Perhaps a class action deceptive trade suit? Yur compnay paid a lot of money for those tickets believing that the NBA game was sound and fair. The NBA represented and warranted that they had a sound reliable product and as it has been shown is very flawed. Much like Ford building a defective Ford Explorer.

Hmm....I wonder if the fact the NBA knew they had problems and did nothing to remedy them might lead to punitive damages?? Bring on them treble damages!!!!

Indazone
06-11-2008, 12:08 PM
If enough evidence is gathered by the Feds, it will with certainty lead to a class action lawsuit.

lefty
06-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Funny, there is no mention of that story on NBA.com

lebomb
06-11-2008, 12:22 PM

05 Pistons you dumbshits......:rolleyes

Ronaldo McDonald
06-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Double * for this year and 2002. For the first time I actually feel sympathetic towards L.A. fans for being fucked over (as well as every other fan of the NBA in general). I remember that game perfectly, and thinking damn that was rigged or something.

lefty
06-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Phil Taylor > THE HOT BUTTON

More fuel for the fire: The NBA's perception problem keeps growing Story Highlights

Tim Donaghy's latest allegations are a boon for NBA conspiracy theorists
Donaghy's claims of game-fixing play into the worst suspicions about the NBA
The NBA needs to start making refs more available to explain controversial calls

It's a lot harder to laugh at the NBA conspiracy theorists today, isn't it?

When they tell you that the 1985 draft lottery was rigged to make sure Patrick Ewing would be a Knick, they don't sound quite so paranoid or delusional anymore.

If they lay out their theory that Michael Jordan's first retirement was really a hush-hush suspension for gambling, you don't feel quite as confident in brushing them off.

And if they tell you Game 2 of this year's Finals, when the Celtics shot 38 free throws to the Lakers' 10, smells fishy, well, can you really argue?

That's what Tim Donaghy, the rogue referee who is fast becoming commissioner David Stern's worst nightmare, has brought about with his stunning accusations of biased officiating, fixed playoff games and other improprieties. He has put it all in play -- all the suspicions, all the skepticism, all the whispers that something about the NBA just doesn't feel completely on the up-and-up.

We knew that Donaghy himself had bet on games and accepted cash for inside information to gamblers, crimes for which he has been convicted and faces a possible 33 months in prison. But in a letter filed by his lawyer to the sentencing court Tuesday, Donaghy alleges he was far from the only culprit, that the dishonesty and deception and rigging of outcomes in the NBA reached as far up as the league's executive offices.

The veracity of Donaghy's claims, in which he named no names, is very much up for debate. As Stern pointed out Tuesday, these are the allegations of an admitted felon, and it's easy to attack his credibility. Also, although the specific allegations came to light Tuesday, Donaghy originally shared the information with the authorities months ago, yet he remains the only NBA official or executive charged with any wrongdoing. In short, the possibility exists that the accusations are as baseless as Stern says they are.

But ... there is that "but," isn't there? There is so much smoke that maybe Donaghy is finally exposing the fire. Remember how the Miami Heat overcame a 2-0 Finals deficit in 2006 when Dwyane Wade suddenly began getting every call against the Dallas Mavericks? How about the end of Game 4 of the Lakers-Spurs series this year, when Brent Barry didn't get an obvious foul call just before the buzzer that might have given San Antonio life? Suddenly, crucial, controversial calls or non-calls all seem worthy of another look with a more cynical eye.

Much of what Donaghy alleges seems plausible enough. The charges, if true, would explain a great deal. He told authorities that in 2002 two referees conspired in a playoff series to ensure the series would reach a seventh game. The only series that went seven games that year was the Western Conference finals between the Sacramento Kings and the Los Angeles Lakers, in which the Lakers shot a whopping 27 free throws in the fourth quarter of Game 6, helping them to avoid elimination in Los Angeles. They eventually won Game 7 in Sacramento as well.

Anyone who watched that game remembers how strangely lopsided the officiating seemed, particularly in the fourth quarter. Among the egregiously blown calls was a blatant elbow by Kobe Bryant against the Kings' Mike Bibby that somehow escaped detection. It was a game that immediately aroused the suspicion of conspiracy theorists and the suspicion of Kings fans, but it was eventually chalked up as another example of the unpredictable nature of officiating rather than any intentional effort to control the outcome. Now, we're not so sure.

But Donaghy doesn't stop there. He also claims that referees were instructed by league executives to protect star players from technical fouls and ejections in order to keep television ratings up, and that when a star player was ejected from a 2000 playoff game, an official was privately reprimanded by the league.
It would be easier to chalk up all of this as the groundless allegations of a desperate man if it didn't play into so many of the suspicions about the league that have existed for years but have been dismissed by the NBA as a minor annoyance instead of a serious issue to address. About two years ago, before the Donaghy scandal came to light, I sat with Stern in a conference room in the NBA offices in New York as he laughed off the idea that the league had a reputation for questionable officiating. He said there were no referees in any sport that were scrutinized more closely than NBA officials, and that he had no doubts about their honesty.

Stern can't be laughing now. Even if Donaghy's claims aren't true, league executives have to recognize that the NBA has given fans reason to believe that his claims are, partly because of the league's cavalier attitude toward the inconsistencies in the way games are called. Players, coaches, media and fans have all questioned NBA officiating at one time or another, and the league would be wise to finally take those questions seriously.

A good place to start would be with making the process more transparent, including having referees give more interviews to explain controversial calls. The league office should also publicly instruct the referees that they are to call the game without giving special treatment to stars, and without considering the time or score. No more swallowing the whistles at the end of close games. There's not much Stern and his associates can do to change what happened in the past, but they can address the future.

Stern can shout from the top of the Manhattan skyscraper that houses the league's headquarters that none of Donaghy's allegations are true, but the real problem for the NBA is that hardly anyone would be surprised if they were

z0sa
06-11-2008, 12:38 PM

The same pistons team that kicked your team's ass in 04 doesn't ring a bell, does it?

DazedAndConfused
06-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Despite getting hosed in Game 6, the Kings flat out choked in Game 7.

16-30 from the free throw line and they end up losing by 6 pts.

shelshor
06-11-2008, 12:54 PM
As of today only 1, that I know of.

But we are talking about two different things. One is him betting on games. The other is the league fixing games. Do I think that there are more refs betting on games NO.

Do I think that refs have been working with the league on fixing games to be in the leagues best interest yes.

Refs with felony convictions would also include those from the airplane ticket/tax evasion scam of a few years ago. Aren't some of those guys now ref supervisors?

z0sa
06-11-2008, 12:59 PM

They'd have been resting for the NBA Finals instead of shooting free throws had the league not handed you a chance at the berth

monosylab1k
06-11-2008, 01:03 PM

That is a genius basketball take, Jeff.

Cry Havoc
06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Despite the refs completely rigging an entire quarter to let my team win.....

xcomp
06-11-2008, 02:46 PM

Stern really thinks we're all idiots.

He's in essence accusing Donaghy of lying to federal investigators and to the court, a felony offense which would VOID his current plea agreement and potentially tack on several more years to his prison time. Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that Stern demanded $1 million dollars in restitution for the pain and suffering that Donaghy has caused him so far. No connection there at all.

Spur-Addict
06-11-2008, 02:49 PM

Think about what you just said.

DazedAndConfused
06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Despite the refs suspending two key players to give us a win in '07

alamo50
06-11-2008, 04:50 PM

Like you didn't already know?