PDA

View Full Version : The Killer Tomatoes

Nbadan
06-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Yeahhhh....deregulation!

http://www.ewiseradiotools.com/station_files/jockitems__145_1161789915.jpg
Why did Mrs.tomato turn red ? She saw Mr.Green Pea!

Investigation of Outbreak of Infections Caused by Salmonella Saintpaul

CDC is collaborating with public health officials in many states, the Indian Health Service, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to investigate an ongoing multi-state outbreak of human Salmonella serotype Saintpaul infections. An epidemiologic investigation conducted by the New Mexico and Texas Departments of Health and the Indian Health Service using interviews comparing foods eaten by ill and well persons has identified consumption of raw tomatoes as the likely source of the illnesses in those states. The specific type and source of tomatoes is under investigation; however, the data suggest that large tomatoes, including Roma and round red, are the source.

Since mid-April, 167 persons infected with Salmonella Saintpaul with the same genetic fingerprint have been identified in 17 states: Arizona (12 persons), California (2), Colorado (1), Connecticut (1), Idaho (2), Illinois (27), Indiana (7), Kansas (5), Michigan (2), New Mexico (39), Oklahoma (3), Oregon (3), Texas (56), Utah (1), Virginia (2), Washington (1), and Wisconsin (3). These were identified because clinical laboratories in all states send Salmonella strains from ill persons to their State public health laboratory for characterization. Among the 73 persons who have been interviewed, illnesses began between April 16 and May 27, 2008. Patients range in age from 1 to 82 years; 49% are female. At least 23 persons were hospitalized. No deaths have been reported.

Only 3 persons infected with this strain of Salmonella Saintpaul were identified in the country during the same period in 2007. The previous rarity of this strain and the distribution of illnesses in all U.S. regions suggest that the implicated tomatoes are distributed throughout much of the country. Because of inherent delays in reporting and because many persons with Salmonella illness do not have a stool specimen tested, it is likely many more illnesses have occurred than those reported. Some of these unreported illnesses may be in states that are not on today’s map.

Clinical features of Salmonella Infection
Most persons infected with Salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12–72 hours after infection. Infection is usually diagnosed by culture of a stool sample. The illness usually lasts 4 – 7 days. Although most people recover without treatment, severe infections may occur. Infants, elderly persons, and those with impaired immune systems are more likely than others to develop severe illness. When severe infection occurs, Salmonella may spread from the intestines to the bloodstream and then to other body sites, and can cause death. In these severe cases, antibiotic treatment may be necessary.

Link (http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/saintpaul /)

Only 3 persons infected with this strain of Salmonella Saintpaul were identified in the country during the same period in 2007.

JoeChalupa
06-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I knew this would ketchup to us sooner or later.

boutons_
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM
The FL growers are claiming this will destroy their season unless the source is found very quickly.

My guess is that DC will end up blowing a lot more $Bs as "disaster aid" on a heavily subsidized industry that can't reliably deliver untainted food. As always, the corps fuck up, fuck themselves and everybody up, and tax dollars bail them out.

xrayzebra
06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I knew this would ketchup to us sooner or later.

Hmmmm, nice little quote there joe.:lol:lol

Don Quixote
06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
I LOVE "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes." A b-film classic!

kimrennin
08-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I have heard a lot of reasons over the years as to why George W. Bush should be impeached. For them to leave the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in this state, its leadership in this sorry condition and to have no capacity apparently or will to protect the American consumer - that is alone to me sufficient reason to impeach a president who has made this agency possible and has ripped its guts out in its ability to protect the American consumer. It's insane what is going on here."Of course, Lou was always pretty sure the contaminated vegetables came from Mexico---as every other ill of the nation does.:downspin:

-------------------------
kimrennin
Idaho Drug Treatment (http://www.drugtreatments.com/idaho)

debo
08-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I LOVE "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes." A b-film classic!

havent seen that one in ages! what was the song that repelled them again?