PDA

View Full Version : Former official sues NASCAR over harassment claims (Sexual and Racial harrasment)

RobinsontoDuncan
06-10-2008, 08:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=AkDVjXx5lC2Br3xEXzfpHV45nYcB?slug=ap-nascar-harassmentlawsuit&prov=ap&type=lgns

Former official sues NASCAR over harassment claims

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

Buzz Up
Print

As an aspiring racing official, Mauricia Grant had grown used to working in a man’s world.

When she finally made it into NASCAR, Grant was appalled at the way she says she was treated beginning from her first day on the job until her firing last October.

Now she’s suing NASCAR for $225 million, alleging racial and sexual discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful termination.

“I loved it. It was a great, exciting, adrenaline-filled job where I worked with fast cars and the best drivers in the world,” Grant told The Associated Press. “But there was an ongoing daily pattern (of harassment). It was the nature of the people I worked with, the people who ran it, it trickled down from the top.

“It’s just the way things are in the garage.”
ADVERTISEMENT

The 32-year-old Grant, who is black, worked as a technical inspector responsible for certifying cars in NASCAR’s second-tier Nationwide Series from January 2005 until her termination. In the lawsuit, she alleged she was referred to as “Nappy Headed Mo” and “Queen Sheba,” by co-workers, was often told she worked on “colored people time,” and was frightened by one official who routinely made references to the Ku Klux Klan.

In addition, Grant said she was subjected to sexual advances from male co-workers, two of whom allegedly exposed themselves to her, and graphic and lewd jokes.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, lists 23 specific incidents of alleged sexual harassment and 34 specific incidents of alleged racial and gender discrimination beginning when she was hired in January 2005 through her October 2007 firing.

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said the organization had not yet reviewed the suit.

“As an equal opportunity employer, NASCAR is fully committed to the spirit and letter of affirmative action law,” Poston said, adding NASCAR has a zero tolerance policy for harassment.

In the lawsuit, Grant said she complained numerous times to her supervisors about how she was treated, to no avail. On one occasion, Grant said Nationwide Series director Joe Balash, her immediate supervisor, was dismissive of her complaints, explaining her co-workers were “former military guys” with a rough sense of humor. “You just have to deal with it,” she says Balash told her.

On another occasion, she alleged Balash participated in the harassment.

“Does your workout include an urban obstacle course with a flat-screen TV on your back?” she claimed Balash asked her during the week of July 28, 2007 while working in Indianapolis.

Grant told the AP her two younger sisters witnessed racial discrimination against the official while visiting her at Daytona International Speedway in 2006 and encouraged her to document every incident going forward.

The lawsuit details a series of those alleged incidents:

— Grant was forced to work outside more often than the white male officials because her supervisors believed she couldn’t sunburn because she was black.

— While riding in the backseat of her car pool at Talladega Superspeedway, co-workers told her to duck as they passed race fans. “I don’t want to start a riot when these fans see a black woman in my car,” she claims one official said.

— When packing up a dark garage at Texas Motor Speedway an official told Grant: “Keep smiling and pop your eyes out ‘cause we can’t see you.”

— When she ignored advances from co-workers, Grant was accused of being gay. She also claimed co-workers questioned the sexual orientation of two other female officials.

After her termination, Grant said she went over her notes and recognized “a pattern of retaliation and discrimination.”

“It didn’t diminish my love for the sport of auto racing, but the job wasn’t always the easiest thing to go to every day,” she said.

Grant said she routinely complained to her supervisors. Two weeks after her final complaint, Grant said she was warned during the week of August 18, 2007 at Michigan International Speedway that she had engaged in “conduct unbecoming of a NASCAR representative” and would be fired unless she changed her behavior. She said the warning stemmed from a confrontation with a track official who stopped her as she passed through a gate to use the restroom.

Roughly two months later, Grant was fired, and NASCAR cited a poor work performance in ending her employment. The lawsuit claims other than a previous warning for using “street” language, Grant had never been disciplined for job performance and routinely received positive reviews.

“It is time for NASCAR to realize that not everbody is going to be bought off and not file a complaint,” said Grant’s attorney, Benedict P. Morelli of Morelli Ratner PC. “Not everybody is going to be intimidated and not file a complaint. Not everybody is going to be blackballed and not file a complaint.”

In addition, the suit claims official Heather Gambino was fired in 2006 for complaining about a sexually hostile work environment. The suit also claims former official Dean Duckett, who is black, was reprimanded and ultimately fired last November for using “aggressive language toward a white co-worker.”

Among those identified in Grant’s suit are Balash, assistant series director Mike Dolan, supervisors Alan Shephard and Dennis Dillon, NASCAR’s senior manager for business relations, the human resources director and 17 of Grant’s fellow officials. All of the defendants are white.

“My supervisors all praised me. I was hanging in there with the guys,” she said. “I am an athletic person. I went over the wall and faced malicious crews and competitive crew chiefs, and I was right there and held it down and was never lazy about it.

“And I knew that once I was terminated, there wasn’t going to be an opportunity for me to find another industry like NASCAR to practice my craft.”

I guess this means that everything I thought about the NASCAR community is true

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
225m?

she should go suck a dick for all i care...thats just exploiting the american legal system

Wild Cobra
06-10-2008, 08:26 PM
I wonder where the truth is on this one?

I'm going to make an early guess that she wasn't taken serious about the complaints due to the numbers she spoke of. That she was either overly sensitive, or made it up. Then when she was fired, either because of job performance, or using sexual harassment as an excuse, or simply because of excessive unfounded complaints, she then struck back.

Just a guess based on experience. Sexual Harassment is real, but more often, it is not true to a legal extent. Different work places have different levels of tolerance for the broad range of what is considered sexual harassment. I think the only thing that is universally unacceptable, and illegal, is when sexual harassment is of a power play nature. Am I wrong?

Coworkers harass others all the time. Sexually is just one of several methods. To not tolerate any level of sexual remarks wouldn't be fair unless any remark that can be considered negative becomes unacceptable.

Anyone think that is practical?

Where I work, it wouldn't be tolerated, but it is also spelled out in company policies. I didn't see anything posted that says what the NASCAR policies on sexual harassment are. We need to see that before making any useful assessments of this situation.

JoeChalupa
06-10-2008, 08:26 PM
This kind of alleged behavior is disgusting and needs to be addressed to the full extent of the law. The amount is high but the action is deserved if the allegations are true. Of course there will be the "why didn't she quit" responses coming quickly.

JoeChalupa
06-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I wonder where the truth is on this one?

I'm going to make an early guess that she wasn't taken serious about the complaints due to the numbers she spoke of. That she was either overly sensitive, or made it up. Then when she was fired, either because of job performance, or using sexual harassment as an excuse, or simply because of excessive unfounded complaints, she then struck back.

Just a guess based on experience. Sexual Harassment is real, but more often, it is not true to a legal extent. Different work places have different levels of tolerance for the broad range of what is considered sexual harassment. I think the only thing that is universally unacceptable, and illegal, is when sexual harassment is of a power play nature. Am I wrong?

Coworkers harass others all the time. Sexually is just one of several methods. To not tolerate any level of sexual remarks wouldn't be fair unless any remark that can be considered negative becomes unacceptable.

Anyone think that is practical?

Where I work, it wouldn't be tolerated, but it is also spelled out in company policies. I didn't see anything posted that says what the NASCAR policies on sexual harassment are. We need to see that before making any useful assessments of this situation.

I would hope that I wouldn't have to see the policy to know that sexual harassment isn't tolerated.

Wild Cobra
06-10-2008, 08:32 PM
I would hope that I wouldn't have to see the policy to know that sexual harassment isn't tolerated.
Maybe she doesn't know what it is either. I'm only makig a guess that the complaint isn't warranted. It might be. I simply want more facts that an article when the media is wrong so many times.

JoeChalupa
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Maybe she doesn't know what it is either. I'm only makig a guess that the complaint isn't warranted. It might be. I simply want more facts that an article when the media is wrong so many times.

I can see that but from her statements I'd say a complaint was warranted. She'll need someone to collaborate her story though and I don't see any guy coming forward and kissing his good paying job good-bye.
But innocent until proven guilty so you may very well be correct. I just see it differently and there are some who will say it is because of my whack liberal thinking.

Wild Cobra
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
I can see that but from her statements I'd say a complaint was warranted. She'll need someone to collaborate her story though and I don't see any guy coming forward and kissing his good paying job good-bye.

From her statement. Seen any statements from others who are accused?

But innocent until proven guilty so you may very well be correct.

Remember just how important that is in our society. One of the reasons we had a revolutionary war.

I just see it differently and there are some who will say it is because of my whack liberal thinking.

I wouldn't say that, not yet. Besides, I don't see an issue like this a partisan one. I just want evidence before I'm willing to commit to one side or another. Like the FLDS thing. They were convicted in the media before more information came to light. So were the Duke lacrosse players. How many times are innocent people convicted in the media before all the facts are known?

ElNono
06-10-2008, 09:23 PM
This kind of alleged behavior is disgusting and needs to be addressed to the full extent of the law. The amount is high but the action is deserved if the allegations are true. Of course there will be the "why didn't she quit" responses coming quickly.

But, why didn't she quit?

BRHornet45
06-10-2008, 09:30 PM
"The 32-year-old Grant, who is black,"

sons that is where I stopped reading.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I hope she wins, because these are some of the hightest officers in NASCAR that participated in this.

BrHornet, you sound really stupid when you says "sons" all the time

xrayzebra
06-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I hope she wins, because these are some of the hightest officers in NASCAR that participated in this.

BrHornet, you sound really stupid when you says "sons" all the time

Sounds like you don't like NASCAR very much.
You know there is a chance they are not guilty.
And she just mad for being fired. Just a chance.

clambake
06-11-2008, 10:24 AM
ahhh, depositions. the battlefield where good attorneys cut their teeth. this is where the defendents end up scrambling for settlement.

xrayzebra
06-11-2008, 10:28 AM
ahhh, depositions. the battlefield where good attorneys cut their teeth. this is where the defendents end up scrambling for settlement.

Yep, and I would bet that a few mil would cure her
hurt in a hurry.

clambake
06-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Yep, and I would bet that a few mil would cure her
hurt in a hurry.

offering a few mil is the equivalent of wanting to keep something buried.

xrayzebra
06-11-2008, 10:32 AM
offering a few mil is the equivalent of wanting to keep something buried.

How do you figure that? It is also a way to save
a lot of legal fees and get rid of a problem. Done
all the time.

boutons_
06-11-2008, 10:34 AM
A claim of sexual abuse at work?

Sexual abuse from NASCAR bubbas?

I'm shocked.

One of the myths I've cherished my entire life is that NASCAR bubbas are cultured, perfect, gallant gentlemen with sophisticated tastes. A myth shattered. It will take a long time to get over this one.

WTF is black lady doing trying to work in the middle of a herd of wannabe-macho assholes? "She asked for it" :lol

clambake
06-11-2008, 10:40 AM
How do you figure that? It is also a way to save
a lot of legal fees and get rid of a problem. Done
all the time.

yeah, right ray, they'll just cut her a check.:lol

xrayzebra
06-11-2008, 10:44 AM
yeah, right ray, they'll just cut her a check.:lol

Both of us will just have to wait and see what
transpires. If we do get a chance. These cases
seem to make headlines to start then die a slow
natural death, unreported.

clambake
06-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Both of us will just have to wait and see what
transpires. If we do get a chance. These cases
seem to make headlines to start then die a slow
natural death, unreported.

depositions from both sides of the table. who's got the faster horse. this is where the future reveals itself.

Wild Cobra
06-11-2008, 02:21 PM

People like you are part of the problem. You have the NASCAR guys convicted before knowing enough evidence. There isn't enough information to make a decision yet.

Don't get me wrong, I hope she wins IF there really was a true sexual harasment case. I've just seen and heard of too many false allegations.

BradLohaus
06-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Getting sexually harassed at work is like winning the lottery.