PDA

View Full Version : More on the Gasol trade

GSH
06-11-2008, 03:05 AM
I have said for months that if the other shoe drops on the Donoghy investigation, the league is in a world of hurt. (Not what was announced today, but related to it.) A lot of people scoffed, but much of what I said has already been confirmed. I'm pretty confident in the sources of the information I got. I mention that because that's all I can say about this information involving the Gasol trade. Believe it or don't. Without hard evidence, it's all rumor, and I don't have photographs or voice recordings. But I'm pretty confident in the sources.

Allegedly, according to rumor, once upon a time...

1. Supposedly, West had nothing to do with the Grizzlies after he resigned in June '07. But in October of 2007, West tried to "facilitate" a potential 3-way trade between Memphis, Los Angeles, and another team. (Sort of an unofficial "we're just talking here" negotiation.) Two people knew of the meeting, but not the details of the proposed trade. They believed that West was still acting as a consultant for the Grizzlies. They also assumed that it would involve Kobe, since he had been making trade demands. West seemed like the perfect person to negotiate a deal like that, because of his rapport with Kobe. They really didn't question it much at the time.

West may not have been "officially" involved after June, but he was still trying hard to make a deal happen in October. And that was only a few weeks before the actual trade was completed. Now it seems more likely that Kobe was never a part of the October trade discussion. They wanted a 3-way deal for Gasol, because it would have provided more cover. When they couldn't get that done, the same deal got done without the third-party team in the middle.

2. One of the big questions that has been asked is, "If it was collusion, what was in it for the Grizzlies?" That part didn't make sense to me either. And it looks like the answer is that there was nothing in it for the Grizzlies - as a team. But there was something in it for Heisley, the team owner. Heisley is selling the team, and his only concern is maximizing the amount he nets from the sale. The word is that he will receive additional compensation through a land development deal. (I will stress that this part is unsubstantiated, but I have heard and seen enough to be convinced. And it is the only thing I have heard that makes sense.) That would make the deal much more advantageous to him than any of the other offers for Gasol. Why?

If the Grizzlies had kept Gasol, or gotten a couple of decent players in return, it would benefit the new team owners, but not Heisley. They team would not sell for significantly more based on the roster. But if he could pick up several million extra, from an outside deal, as a result of the trade? That's bonus money that would go straight into his pocket. And that is something that he would not have gotten from a "normal" trade with any other team. A million here, a million there, and pretty soon we're talking real money.

And why would the Lakers make such a complicated deal? It would allow them to pay with cash, rather than trading players (or draft picks) that would weaken the team for the next several years. An NBA Championship (or several) would be worth a lot more to them than the cash. Getting a franchise player, without having to give up anything... that advantage over the other teams could allow them to build a new dynasty.

--------

Putting those two things together, it wasn't Jerry West's basketball involvement with the Grizzlies that allowed the trade to happen. It was his business involvement with Heisley, and his knowledge that Heisley would be interested in an under the table deal. Allegedly. According to rumor.

I would love to see the same thing happen to the Lakers that was done to Minnesota a few years back. Rescind the trade, and take away their next few first round picks. The problem with that is that I think the league would attempt to sweep any scandal under the rug right now. There are some details that I can't include without pointing directly at some of the people involved. I'm sure that there are other people who know other pieces. Maybe enough of them together can force Stern's hand.

coachmac87
06-11-2008, 03:16 AM
wow

Brutalis
06-11-2008, 03:20 AM
I read this but the only news to me is West working with the Grizz owner under the table.

The Gasol deal was fixed. I had a friend who only plays NBA games and doesn't follow the league that WTF'd to that deal. ... nuff said.

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2008, 04:31 AM
THE NBA where integrity is not important anymore...

spurscenter
06-11-2008, 05:10 AM
NBA is rigged since marketing guru Stern came in.

Stern changed the game for the better and for the worse as well.

Its a business first, entertainment second, a game third but that's how it came out of near bankruptcy.

However, you dont see any of these Game fixing on MLB, since betting or fixing comes with major consequences from the commish who is not in the tank for entertainment purposes or ticket selling like NBA is.

International refs are needed, college refs rotated in

there should be a trade committee by coaches for trades

refs should call fouls 1 minute in to 48 minutes into the game. a foul is a foul.

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2008, 05:16 AM
NBA is rigged since marketing guru Stern came in.

Stern changed the game for the better and for the worse as well.

Its a business first, entertainment second, a game third but that's how it has gone.

However, you dont see any of these Game fixing on MLB, since betting or fixing comes with major consequences from the commish who is not in the tank for entertainment purposes or ticket selling like NBA is.

International refs are needed, college refs rotated in

there should be a trade committee by coaches for trades

refs should call fouls 1 minute in to 48 minutes into the game. a foul is a foul.

all of that above u mention is standardized in euro football, too bad the nba wont do shit about it to improve the game...

Dopey310
06-11-2008, 05:26 AM
I have said for months that if the other shoe drops on the Donoghy investigation, the league is in a world of hurt. (Not what was announced today, but related to it.) A lot of people scoffed, but much of what I said has already been confirmed. I'm pretty confident in the sources of the information I got. I mention that because that's all I can say about this information involving the Gasol trade. Believe it or don't. Without hard evidence, it's all rumor, and I don't have photographs or voice recordings. But I'm pretty confident in the sources.

Allegedly, according to rumor, once upon a time...

1. Supposedly, West had nothing to do with the Grizzlies after he resigned in June '07. But in October of 2007, West tried to "facilitate" a potential 3-way trade between Memphis, Los Angeles, and another team. (Sort of an unofficial "we're just talking here" negotiation.) Two people knew of the meeting, but not the details of the proposed trade. They believed that West was still acting as a consultant for the Grizzlies. They also assumed that it would involve Kobe, since he had been making trade demands. West seemed like the perfect person to negotiate a deal like that, because of his rapport with Kobe. They really didn't question it much at the time.

West may not have been "officially" involved after June, but he was still trying hard to make a deal happen in October. And that was only a few weeks before the actual trade was completed. Now it seems more likely that Kobe was never a part of the October trade discussion. They wanted a 3-way deal for Gasol, because it would have provided more cover. When they couldn't get that done, the same deal got done without the third-party team in the middle.

2. One of the big questions that has been asked is, "If it was collusion, what was in it for the Grizzlies?" That part didn't make sense to me either. And it looks like the answer is that there was nothing in it for the Grizzlies - as a team. But there was something in it for Heisley, the team owner. Heisley is selling the team, and his only concern is maximizing the amount he nets from the sale. The word is that he will receive additional compensation through a land development deal. (I will stress that this part is unsubstantiated, but I have heard and seen enough to be convinced. And it is the only thing I have heard that makes sense.) That would make the deal much more advantageous to him than any of the other offers for Gasol. Why?

If the Grizzlies had kept Gasol, or gotten a couple of decent players in return, it would benefit the new team owners, but not Heisley. They team would not sell for significantly more based on the roster. But if he could pick up several million extra, from an outside deal, as a result of the trade? That's bonus money that would go straight into his pocket. And that is something that he would not have gotten from a "normal" trade with any other team. A million here, a million there, and pretty soon we're talking real money.

And why would the Lakers make such a complicated deal? It would allow them to pay with cash, rather than trading players (or draft picks) that would weaken the team for the next several years. An NBA Championship (or several) would be worth a lot more to them than the cash. Getting a franchise player, without having to give up anything... that advantage over the other teams could allow them to build a new dynasty.

--------

Putting those two things together, it wasn't Jerry West's basketball involvement with the Grizzlies that allowed the trade to happen. It was his business involvement with Heisley, and his knowledge that Heisley would be interested in an under the table deal. Allegedly. According to rumor.

I would love to see the same thing happen to the Lakers that was done to Minnesota a few years back. Rescind the trade, and take away their next few first round picks. The problem with that is that I think the league would attempt to sweep any scandal under the rug right now. There are some details that I can't include without pointing directly at some of the people involved. I'm sure that there are other people who know other pieces. Maybe enough of them together can force Stern's hand.

Wow.. how insightful. At least provide a link, a source, or whatever. You gave nothing but more of your BS whining. Comfirned by whom exactly ? You? :lol

21_Blessings
06-11-2008, 05:54 AM
Can't say shit about the trade until we see how the picks and prospects the Grizzlies got pan out.

Oh yeah and the 15 million in cap space which could be used to sign an all-star caliber player the next few years.

Brutalis
06-11-2008, 05:59 AM
Can't say shit about the trade until we see how the picks and prospects the Grizzlies got pan out.

Oh yeah and the 15 million in cap space which could be used to sign an all-star caliber player the next few years.

See a doctor.

urunobili
06-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Wow.. how insightful. At least provide a link, a source, or whatever. You gave nothing but more of your BS whining. Comfirned by whom exactly ? You? :lol

you're going down homie