06-11-2008, 10:05 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_roger_mason.jpg

Roger Mason | G
Born: Sep 10, 1980
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 212 lbs. / 96,2 kg.
College: Virginia
Years Pro: 3

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roger_mason/index.html)

Marcus Bryant
06-11-2008, 10:06 AM
I can't help but go back to September when we heard that Roger turned down a 3 year deal with the Spurs to sign a one year deal with the Wizards, in the hopes that he would get a better contract this off-season. I think we were all pretty stunned that Roger would make such a move especially considering that he'd never really been much more than a guy who stood around the 3 point line and shot it when he was open and even when he was open he wasn't all that good at getting it in the hoop (33% from the field, 32.4% from three)

Needless to say, he made us all look like a bunch of idiots. Roger is going to make himself a good bit of change this season because he got better in every facet of the game this season. His defense improved, his ballhandling got good enough to where he could do some other things with the ball besides just hoisting treys, although that's always going to be his bread and butter. Other than some spotty shot selection from time to time, Roger filled his increased role on the team very well.

If the circumstances were different, I'd love to have him back, but Antawn and Gilbert are bigger priorities and Nick needs more PT. But Roger is going to be fine. His gamble paid off and he's going to get the money he was looking for. My bet is that he ends up where we thought he would go originally in San Antonio, where he'll become a younger, cheaper Michael Finley.

link (http://www.bulletsforever.com/2008/6/6/547379/player-evaluation-roger-ma)

hater
06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
he is damn good and even clutch.

but he is still not consistent

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't mind him coming over.

exstatic
06-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Good 3 pointer, poor rebounding, abominable FG% except for last year.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 12:28 AM
The Wizards' only other free agent is guard Roger Mason Jr., who had a career year with 9.1 points a game and shot a team-high 39.8 percent from 3-point range. Mason played more with Arenas injured, and when guard Antonio Daniels missed time with injury, the Virginia product increased his production. As a starter, Mason averaged 17.4 points and made 43.1 percent of his 3-pointers.

The Wizards' backcourt appears crowded with Arenas - if he returns - Daniels, DeShawn Stevenson and Nick Young, who is entering his second season. But Mason can play either guard position, and the Wizards intend to try to re-sign him, according to a team source. That lines up with Grunfeld's stance that he would like to see how well Washington's entire squad can do when entirely healthy.

Mason spent his second season with the Wizards last year after turning down an offer from the San Antonio Spurs and accepting a $770,610 deal with Washington believing he could benefit from the continuity.

link (http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jul/01/wizards-secure-jamison-early/)

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 12:31 AM
How's his defense? This guy better than Finley?

K-State Spur
07-01-2008, 12:32 AM

Yeah, he's pretty solid. Although he's probably closer to 6'3 than 6'5.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 12:35 AM

Hookers on dollar night play more defense than Finley did the last three months of the season, the bar's not exactly set high...

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Hookers on dollar night play more defense than Finley did the last three months of the season, the bar's not exactly set high...

Funny, but doesn't answer my question. Is his overall game better than Finley's right now? Shooting, defense, etc.

Tully365
07-01-2008, 01:48 AM
Sure-- a slight improvement over Finley at this point:

Mason:
9.1 ppg in 21.4mpg, 44.3 FG%, 39.8 3PT%, 87.3 FT%

Finley:
10.1 ppg in 26.9 mpg, 41.4 FG%, 37.0 3PT%, 80.0 FT%

timvp
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I exchanged a few text messages with Roger Mason Jr. just as he was getting on a plane to visit an interested team this afternoon. The Wizards hope to bring Mason back, but he is also entertaining inquiries from seven other teams, including the New Jersey Nets and San Antonio Spurs.

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/outlet/2008/Jul/02/wizards-summer-league/

If the Spurs are in need of a shooter, Mason is a good option. He makes sense as a Barry replacement because he can bring point guard skills to the shooting guard position and can shoot threes. Not as good of a passer but a better defender.

For the LLE, he'd be a very nice signing. I'd imagine he'd cost more, though.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Given that the Wiz will re-sign Arenas for $1 billion, how does that change the possibility of landing Mason?

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:45 PM
If the Spurs are in need of a shooter, Mason is a good option. He makes sense as a Barry replacement because he can bring point guard skills to the shooting guard position and can shoot threes. Not as good of a passer but a better defender.

For the LLE, he'd be a very nice signing. I'd imagine he'd cost more, though.

This isn't the same guy thats all defense and horrible on offense?

Who am I confusing him with?

Werent the Spurs interested in a guy like this and it was roundly though crazy cause all he could do was defend?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2008, 08:46 PM

Werent the Spurs interested in a guy like this and it was roundly though crazy cause all he could do was defend?

I think you're thinking of Andray Blatche, though Blatche can do some scoring as well.

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:46 PM
I think you're thinking of Andray Blatche, though Blatche can do some scoring as well.

Nah nah nah

not a wizard.

Used to be a Bull I think.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Nah nah nah

not a wizard.

Duhon?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Nah nah nah

not a wizard.

Michael Sweetney?

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
no no no,

a swingman

Guy never gets off the bench.

angelbelow
07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
dont we ahve our pg position filled up? unless we trade vangh.

spurman20
07-02-2008, 08:55 PM

No its not your thinking about D Stevens or stevenson

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2008, 08:58 PM
no no no,

a swingman

Guy never gets off the bench.

Oh!
Viktor Khryapa.

bigdog
07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Mason is nice if we could get him. He's a bit undersized but he's a decent defender and is a good shooter, can shoot the 3.

Looks like the Spurs have a backup plan to the Maggette thing with Mason and Delfino.

Though I would rather have it as Mason and Pietrus.

SPURSGOAT
07-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Looks like the Spurs have a backup plan to the Maggette thing with Mason and Delfino.

:tu same here...

Tully365
07-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Mason is nice if we could get him. He's a bit undersized but he's a decent defender and is a good shooter, can shoot the 3.

If Delfino was offered the LLE, Maggette or Pietrus would still be available for the MLE.

I'd be happy with Delfino & Pietrus. Both can defend, both can rebound.

Biggems
07-03-2008, 11:47 AM
sign Maggette to MLE
sign Mason to LLE
trade Bonner + 2nd for Barnes (sign and trade)
trade Vaughn + Udoka for Delfino
sign Pecherov with Beno's trade exception
sign Hairston or Gist (whichever plays the best during camp)

(new players in BOLD)

PG - Parker, Mason, Hill
SG - Maggette, Manu, Hairston / Gist
SF - Bowen, Barnes, Delfino
PF - Duncan, Horry, Thomas
C - Oberto, Mahimni, Pecherov

I do not think we have the money for all of this, but our depth would be amazing, especially at PG, SG, and SF.

SPURSGOAT
07-03-2008, 12:14 PM
sign Maggette to MLE
sign Mason to LLE
trade Bonner + 2nd for Barnes (sign and trade)
trade Vaughn + Udoka for Delfino
sign Pecherov with Beno's trade exception
sign Hairston or Gist (whichever plays the best during camp)

(new players in BOLD)

PG - Parker, Mason, Hill
SG - Maggette, Manu, Hairston / Gist
SF - Bowen, Barnes, Delfino
PF - Duncan, Horry, Thomas
C - Oberto, Mahimni, Pecherov

I do not think we have the money for all of this, but our depth would be amazing, especially at PG, SG, and SF.

That would be a killer roster... just another pipe-dream for a roster like that one...:downspin:

wisnub
07-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Bring him in.. I saw him playing in Wizzard, he's a good player and can shoot well. He's a little bit inconsistent but he's gonna play additional role anyway so its fine. Beside have you guys check his video shooting at gym against Arena? Its sick. He's a good shooter and thats what we need..SCORING. All you guys talking about defense but i believe Pop already screaming that hard and long enough...Defense is crucial,and its already their trademark. We also got Low post monster in Duncan. I guess our problem is other CONSISTENT scorers beside Tony and Manu.Lets upgrade the offense shall we? Offense + Defense = KICK ASS SHIT.

timvp
07-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Werent the Spurs interested in a guy like this and it was roundly though crazy cause all he could do was defend?Same guy. Mason just suddenly became a capable offensive player last year out of the blue.

T Park
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Same guy. Mason just suddenly became a capable offensive player last year out of the blue.

I thought it was.

Makes you wonder what the heck the big turnaround got spurned on by.

Agreed about Mason, hes always been fantastic defensively, but if he could have a decent offensive game, then hells yeah hes a great wing to have.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi!

The Truth #6
07-09-2008, 06:44 PM
he is damn good and even clutch.

but he is still not consistent

To be clutch you have to be consistent, right? But if he's like SJax in that regard, I think I see what you mean. I've never seen him play. Hopefully the youtubes have something...

TJastal
07-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Bring him in.. I saw him playing in Wizzard, he's a good player and can shoot well. He's a little bit inconsistent but he's gonna play additional role anyway so its fine. Beside have you guys check his video shooting at gym against Arena? Its sick. He's a good shooter and thats what we need..SCORING. All you guys talking about defense but i believe Pop already screaming that hard and long enough...Defense is crucial,and its already their trademark. We also got Low post monster in Duncan. I guess our problem is other CONSISTENT scorers beside Tony and Manu.Lets upgrade the offense shall we? Offense + Defense = KICK ASS SHIT.

I swear, my IQ drops a point every time I read one of your posts...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Clutch? Go look at Mason's shooting percentages in the playoffs against the Cavs this year.

T Park
07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Clutch? Go look at Mason's shooting percentages in the playoffs against the Cavs this year.

If that were the case then brent Barry isn't clutch then.

Spurtacus
07-09-2008, 09:59 PM
He looks smaller than 6'5.

T Park
07-10-2008, 02:13 AM

As I think about that, I can't judge the guy based on that due to the team surrounding him, plus Agent Zero living up to his nickname fucking things up.