PDA

View Full Version : To beat a dead horse: How will the recent Donaghy testimony affect your NBA watching

Cry Havoc
06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I realize that this is probably going to be the most talked about issue on the boards in the next few weeks/months, but I'd like to know what you guys are going to do about it.

balli
06-11-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm not going to do a damn thing. Even if Donaghy is telling the truth and it is fixed, the NBA is still BY FAR my favourite league.

Edit: And I don't believe him anyway.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-11-2008, 02:29 PM
I'll still watch.

Bob Lanier
06-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Donaghy hasn't said anything that wasn't already obvious - Jordan, the 90s Suns and Knicks, the Jazz, Shaquille Oneal, the threepeat Lakers, Jerry Colangelo and Mark Cuban's effort to eliminate handchecking, Dwyane Wade, etc. etc. Officiating is bad in this league, partly by human error but mostly by policy, and it's gotten much, much worse over the past two decades.

I could claim that I'd stop watching, but I only stopped watching the NBA for a year and a half after the 2006 finals, so I'm pretty much a hypocrite on that regard. But it isn't a die-hard basketball fan like me that the league needs to be worried about - it's the huge majority of non-fans and casual fans who didn't watch before this testimony, a large number of them because they already believed the league is rigged.

E20
06-11-2008, 02:30 PM
The Spurs are too good. Even if somehow a team sneaks in 2 extra players on the court and the refs don't call it, Spurs will still win.

Kermit
06-11-2008, 02:32 PM
WWE still has a lot of viewers. I don't see why the NBA would be any different.

Cry Havoc
06-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Poll is now up. Please vote! =)

LakeShow
06-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I'll be watching as always. I chose number 2

DarrinS
06-11-2008, 02:39 PM
I'll continue to watch, albeit with more focus on the refs.

By the way, FT disparity is no indication that something is awry.

dbreiden83080
06-11-2008, 05:16 PM
The allegations are just that allegations. However this is being investigated by the FBI and the league claims they have been investigating since Donaghy got busted. Now if the league has something to hide here, it is a good possibility the feds with uncover it. Personally i doubt this will ever be more than Just allegations.

mavs>spurs2
06-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I chose that i'll watch way less. The NBA is a bunch of bullshit now, I only watched because I love the game and want to see the world's best go at it in a fair 100% non staged competition. When it starts looking like it's not 100% legit then I think it's time to move on to college basketball or just enjoy the game by playing it.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-11-2008, 06:42 PM
The whole thing is bullshit.
Donaghy's likely telling the truth, doesn't matter if he has an agenda.

The league should really strive to make changes and limit and eliminate the crookedness involved. It really fucks up the integrity of the game. I don't know how any sports fan wouldn't be angry, especially, with that Kings series. 99 percent of America wanted to see the Lakers get squashed, and got gypped.

N.Y. Johnny
06-11-2008, 07:10 PM
How serious is it? WWE fakery and scripts and that rigged? Who knows.

The league does have a problem with officiating and it wasn't more obvious during a playoff run and a major game to have a guy like Crawford who has history with a team like San Antonio be there for THAT game. Then to make it worse than it was you have what happened AT THE END of that game to make things worse. The NBA has themselves to blame for that.

Cry Havoc
06-12-2008, 08:48 AM
I chose that i'll watch way less. The NBA is a bunch of bullshit now, I only watched because I love the game and want to see the world's best go at it in a fair 100% non staged competition. When it starts looking like it's not 100% legit then I think it's time to move on to college basketball or just enjoy the game by playing it.

Just don't watch any regular season Dook or UNC games. :toast

johnsmith
06-12-2008, 08:56 AM
And with that, NFL remains king.

degenerate_gambler
06-12-2008, 09:06 AM
And with that, NFL remains king.

Like the NBA was or has ever been close to encroaching upon the NFL's reign over American sports before all this happened..

It's never been close as to which one fans preferred.

Cry Havoc
06-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Like the NBA was or has ever been close to encroaching upon the NFL's reign over American sports before all this happened..

It hasn't been close, but in the 90s, the NBA certainly had a pretty solid grip on the sports scene, especially after the Super Bowl. Michael Jordan was more recognizable than any other athlete on the planet.

Now, I wonder if the sport will ever recover.

johnsmith
06-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Yeah, I know. But I like to remind SA residents that the NFL is the most popular league and the only one that matters cause last I checked, the NFL's San Antonio Sai.......oh wait, they don't have a team.

Appoggiatura
06-12-2008, 02:18 PM
If the worst should come of this, it could rank as one of the biggest sports scandals in a pro league since the "Black Sox" scandal. But, if nothing else, it would lead to a cleaning up of the league. I hope for the best, but fear the worst. Either way, I'll stick with the NBA

manufor3
06-12-2008, 02:23 PM
still watch

Cry Havoc
06-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I know. But I like to remind SA residents that the NFL is the most popular league and the only one that matters cause last I checked, the NFL's San Antonio Sai.......oh wait, they don't have a team.

Spurs # of titles = Denver's hockey, baseball, basketball, and football combined.

Have a nice day. :toast