PDA

View Full Version : Enlighten me

sendman
06-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Since I'm from Europe and I'm not to familiar with the rules regarding player payments in the NBA, I have a following question:

Are the so called "big markets" able to compensate players salary with getting that player contracts for some commercials and endorsements?
For example:
Something like, player signs a contract for 3 mill. $, but on the side he gets a shoe deal for 2mill.$ a year (to avoid salary cup)? Is this legal?

m33p0
06-12-2008, 08:06 AM
team contracts and commercial endoresements don't have anything to do with the other. but playing in a big market does give a player more chances of earning big bucks through endorsements simply because you are in a big market.

sendman
06-12-2008, 08:18 AM
team contracts and commercial endoresements don't have anything to do with the other. but playing in a big market does give a player more chances of earning big bucks through endorsements simply because you are in a big market.
I am asking this, because I find this as a loophole. Big market teams can always pepper some players contract with some side jobs. Don't you think?

ata
06-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Isn't that how Detroit got Milicic huge comertial contract, so he was able to pay Hemofarm out?

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Isn't that how Detroit got Milicic huge comertial contract, so he was able to pay Hemofarm out?

i dont think so, he was the no.2 pick wasnt he? that was nearly MLE price range for a lotto pick....

m33p0
06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I am asking this, because I find this as a loophole. Big market teams can always pepper some players contract with some side jobs. Don't you think?
those endorsement deals are done by the player's agents not by the team but its definitely a sales pitch.

Indazone
06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Sure helps us out :D

ata
06-12-2008, 01:14 PM
i dont think so, he was the no.2 pick wasnt he? that was nearly MLE price range for a lotto pick....

Taht is true, however his team (Hemofarm) wanted (and got?) $10Mio