PDA

View Full Version : The Happening...

florige
06-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Another Night Shyamalan film. I'm actually looking forward to checking this one out.....
I kinda looks like it has the whole "The Forgotten" feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fwccFTJIdo

thispego
06-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Looks pretty badass. I think it is about the government unleashing some sort of mind control that makes people kill themselves and they committ suicide in really fucked up ways throughout the movie.

florige
06-12-2008, 10:24 AM
:lol Someone on the youtube board said something about plants killing people or some crap. But that synopsis makes sense about the mind control thing. Must be some kind of force or something that attacks certain areas at a time.

Brutalis
06-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Shyamalanomanuiandsmhgfk whatever his name.. he maxed out on Signs. Put out dumb crap ever since.

florige
06-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Dammit this and the Hulk comes out this weekend...:bang
Both are must see for me.

AlamoSpursFan
06-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Why is this guy so famous? His movies suck ass.

Someone had to say it.

Brutalis
06-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Why is this guy so famous? His movies suck ass.

Someone had to say it.

Signs was the only good thing he ever did. He needs to just quit already.

AlamoSpursFan
06-12-2008, 10:58 AM
I was referring to Signs. I gave up on that P.O.S. 30 minutes in.

u2sarajevo
06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
I saw a review for it online.... and they said it was horrible. Worse than the lady in the water. The only brightspot given in that review was that it was reviewed a month before release so they might be able to fix some of it.

Found it.... (http://www.collider.com/entertainment/reviews/article.asp/aid/7903/tcid/1)

Brutalis
06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I was referring to Signs. I gave up on that P.O.S. 30 minutes in.

Well you are free to be wrong, I won't argue that with you. :lol

Gibson, Phoenix, that little boy and girl... that was amazing acting dude. The acting is why that movie blew up the box office.

Spurminator
06-12-2008, 11:28 AM
M. Night Shyamalan... Now with the F-word.

balli
06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Sixth Sense was good, Unbreakable was great, Signs was Mediocre, The Village was the worst movie I've seen in ten years and I didn't even see Lady in the Water. I do not have high hopes for this one.

Spurminator
06-12-2008, 11:32 AM
How much do you want to bet someone (probably a little girl), at some point in the movie, will say:

"Something's... happening."

florige
06-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I hope Wahlberg makes this movie good. I actually liked Shyamalan's movies. I haven;t seen The Village yet. I heard that was awful! I liked Signs and Unbreakable though.

balli
06-12-2008, 11:53 AM
What pisses me off is that somebody is paying this no talent ass clown millions upon millions of dollars for this swill. Shit, I haven't held a camcorder for more than 15 minutes in my whole life, but I guarantee if you gave me a script writing program, a naked chick, four guns, a roll of duct tape and a budget of 15,000 bucks I could come up with something better than a Shyamalan movie.

Brutalis
06-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Sixth Sense was good, Unbreakable was great, Signs was Mediocre, The Village was the worst movie I've seen in ten years and I didn't even see Lady in the Water. I do not have high hopes for this one.

OH FUCK I forgot he did Unbreakable and Sixth Sense. Those were great movies as well.

Nobody appreciates Signs. I guess there has to be blood or gore or cussing or this or that or guns or a huge drama plot or twist or what I don't know but the awards the movie got as well as J Phoenix speak for themselves.

leemajors
06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
How much do you want to bet someone (probably a little girl), at some point in the movie, will say:

"Something's... happening."

:lmao

balli
06-12-2008, 12:25 PM
OH FUCK I forgot he did Unbreakable and Sixth Sense. Those were great movies as well.

Nobody appreciates Signs. I guess there has to be blood or gore or cussing or this or that or guns or a huge drama plot or twist or what I don't know but the awards the movie got as well as J Phoenix speak for themselves.

Phoenix was cool. Gibson was Gibson. The plot, script and ending were lame. I didn't want blood and guts and I didn't think it was bad per se, I just think it wasn't all that good either. That movie won awards?

CuckingFunt
06-12-2008, 12:39 PM

I agree with all of this, with the exception of Signs -- mediocre is far too kind.

ATX Spur
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Sixth Sense was okay, Unbreakable was dreadful, Signs was unwatchable, the Village was pretty good. That's all there is to it.

td4mvp21
06-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I've liked all his movies except Lady in the Water. I want to see this one.

Kriz-Maxima
06-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I loved The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, thought Signs and The Village were ok, Lady in the Water was crap. Im gonna be watching this one. He kind of did his best movie first and then went downhill from there.

spurschick
06-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I've been strangely identifying with the woman stabbing herself in the neck all day long. Work is fun.:bang

thispego
06-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Is thsi thread called "The Happening" or "The Works of M Night Shyamalan"

Lets keep on topic people

leemajors
06-12-2008, 05:02 PM
signs would have been better if he yelled GIVE ME BACK MY CROPS. that movie blew. that's for you pego.

thispego
06-12-2008, 05:25 PM
in the happening, one dude kills himself by letting a lawn mower run over him. now THAT is badass my friends

mookie2001
06-12-2008, 06:48 PM
shrda! i want death by shoulder bloadd

exstatic
06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
in the happening, one dude kills himself by letting a lawn mower run over him. now THAT is badass my friends

I watched this half hour deal on FOX movies channel, and this looks like it could be his best. It's the first one that is R rated. It looks creepy as shit. People just killing themselves with no compunctions, right in front of the characters, right in front of kids. There was another scene where they were driving down this street, and there were abandoned cars with doors open, motorcycles laid down, bikes dropped. The camera pans up, and there are people hanging from every light pole.

dickface
06-13-2008, 08:16 AM
I read the spoilers. Let's just say that this movie is lame as shit.

florige
06-13-2008, 08:17 AM
I read the spoilers. Let's just say that this movie is lame as shit.

And I thank you for not posting them...:toast

AlamoSpursFan
06-13-2008, 08:42 AM
I liked the "monster" from Signs better in his first role as "The Grinch".

CuckingFunt
06-13-2008, 10:02 AM
I liked the "monster" from Signs better in his first role as "The Grinch".

That's what killed that movie. I was really enjoying it before the alien showed up and you weren't sure whether or not there was really an invasion, or everyone was just crazy.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Best movie this guy directed was the Sixth Sense.

BacktoBasics
06-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Best movie this guy directed was the Sixth Sense.
Unbreakable

Brutalis
06-13-2008, 01:09 PM
That's what killed that movie. I was really enjoying it before the alien showed up and you weren't sure whether or not there was really an invasion, or everyone was just crazy.

You must have been stoned.

CuckingFunt
06-13-2008, 01:12 PM
You must have been stoned.

Not at all, actually.

Brutalis
06-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Not at all, actually.

I meant of course it was an invasion.

I'm just a tad defensive of the movie. I for once saw a sci fi movie that was not over done that had great acting in it. Ignore me.

spurschick
06-13-2008, 01:22 PM
People just killing themselves with no compunctions, right in front of the characters, right in front of kids.

Could this be the inaugural use of the word "compunction" on a message board? :toast

balli
06-13-2008, 01:30 PM
So far it's gotten a rousing 21% approval rate at Rotten Tomatoes.

Some of my favorite quips-

You feel like you're not watching the end of the world but the end of a career.

It's downright stupid.

bad in more than just an everyday, sure-does-suck kind of way.

The film becomes less comprehensible as it goes along, and the audience -- expecting a patented M. Night ending -- is left with no answers, explanation, or narrative closure.

The Happening quickly deteriorates into the worst movie of M. Night Shyamalan's career... and that's saying something.

The movie is so inept in terms of coherent, cohesive storytelling and in some other filmmaking aspects that it deserves to be laughed off the screen.

Bad and weird.

The true disaster on display in The Happening is Shyamalan's career hitting rock bottom.

G-Nob
06-13-2008, 04:24 PM
This movie is getting RIIPPPPPED from the critics.

slowchild25
06-13-2008, 04:32 PM
This movie is getting RIIPPPPPED from the critics.

I've read that Wahlberg contributes quite a bit to the suckage. Still it may be worth it just to see Zoey Deschanel on a giant screen. That might be worth 7 bucks right? Eh, maybe not now that I consider the fact that my 7 bucks would just encourage Shyamalan to make more movies like this.

dickface
06-13-2008, 04:33 PM
I can't wait to see what everyone thinks when they either see the movie or read the spoilers. The explanation for why everyone goes crazy is just laugh-out-loud bad. Maybe the worst idea for a movie ever.

G-Nob
06-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I think I'll still go only because its summer and there's nothing else to freaking do. I think all of this is killing time till Batman comes out.

CuckingFunt
06-13-2008, 04:40 PM
I've read that Wahlberg contributes quite a bit to the suckage.

That's unfortunate, if true. I usually really like Mark Whalberg.

slowchild25
06-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I can't wait to see what everyone thinks when they either see the movie or read the spoilers. The explanation for why everyone goes crazy is just laugh-out-loud bad. Maybe the worst idea for a movie ever.

I've read the spoilers and I agree.

G-Nob
06-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Shamalamadingdong has a way of reversing the whip on ya. I like the twists of sixth sense and unbreakable. Lets hope he regains his form.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-13-2008, 04:43 PM
I can't wait to see what everyone thinks when they either see the movie or read the spoilers. The explanation for why everyone goes crazy is just laugh-out-loud bad. Maybe the worst idea for a movie ever.man, i had to check the spoiler on this and all i can say is wow. i'm glad i didn't waste my mom. i'd rather buy 2 gallons of gas. this is only part of the review i read that is something nobody wants to hear about their work

"Picture “The Birds” without any birds, and that should give you a good idea of what Shyamalan seems to be going for."

ouch

CuckingFunt
06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I read the spoiler and some reviews.

Now I just have to see it. It sounds bad enough to be amusing.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Easjer and I saw it today. I didn't think it was quite as bad as everyone is saying, though I certainly can't say I'd recommend it. Mark Walhberg was fucking awful in it. And when the guy in every scene is fucking awful in every scene it takes a lot away from the film. I swear, I expected him to literally say, "OH NOES!" at some point.

It wasn't a terrible premise, but certainly lacked in execution and relied on gimmicks and gore in spots, something that I think Shyamalan's other films managed to steer clear of.

misterx91578
06-13-2008, 08:46 PM
it wasn't bad but wasn't good either just average

Jimcs50
06-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Just got back from seeing the movie and I liked it. The thing I enjoy about M. Night's films are, they are different, yet entertaining in an interesting way. They cause us to leave the theater and think and discuss the point, the message, or moral of the story. I am sure that it irritates a lot of you guys, but I enjoy it myself. Some just want to be entertained, without having to think after a movie, but I like trying to figure out what the fuck the film maker was trying to tell, and M Knight does that.

I suggest to you guys who want to see this movie is to just go and enjoy it. Do not compare it to his other films to the "Sixth Sense."

I give it 3 stars out of 4

florige
06-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Just got back from seeing the movie and I liked it. The thing I enjoy about M. Night's films are, they are different, yet entertaining in an interesting way. They cause us to leave the theater and think and discuss the point, the message, or moral of the story. I am sure that it irritates a lot of you guys, but I enjoy it myself. Some just want to be entertained, without having to think after a movie, but I like trying to figure out what the fuck the film maker was trying to tell, and M Knight does that.

I suggest to you guys who want to see this movie is to just go and enjoy it. Do not compare it to his other films to the "Sixth Sense."

Sweet finally some positive feedback. Now I'm pumped about seeing it Sunday.

SCdac
06-14-2008, 04:12 AM
I watched it thursday night, and didn't come away robbed, or anything of the such. Went into the movie very skeptical, yet hyped at the same time, and all in all, it was better than Lady in the Water, and that alone is an improvement. I wouldn't recommend it to somebody who'd I'd for sure want them to go and have a good time, but to the daring movie-goer, I'd recommend it... more than The Strangers or Prom Night that's for sure... give the Happening about a 7.5/10.

*******some spoilers********

The R rating didn't hurt at all. Wouldn't really have worked as well had it not been as graphic as it was with the suicides. And at the same time, the film was a bit quirky as seen in some of Night's others. The acting was nothing more than average really, and the story line will be hit-or-miss with most people I'm sure, but I enjoyed it. What I liked the most was, it didn't drown itself in special effects or CGI characters when it easily could have. Could have been some cheesy fog, or whatever, but Shyamalan kept it honest for the most part (even the bodies didn't look too fake). Kept the audience wondering, for the better IMO. I also liked how it wasn't a nation-wide or world-wide event happening all at once, more so a selective attack on one part of the world. Keeping the population in check I guess..... Eh, regardless of numerous plotholes and a so-so finally, I kind of liked where Shyamalan went with it. As said, I'd give it about a 7.5/10, 8/10 at the most - interesting take, not as elaborate or provocative as it could have been.... crazy though. when I was leavin the theater, it 'happened' to be all windy and shit outside. trees flailing around. coincidental im sure, eerie none the less.

J.T.
06-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I will see this solely because Mark Wahlberg is a bad ass mother fucker, but I expect this movie will suck like most of Shyamalan's moves do. Plants that make people want to fuck each other is a much better plot device than plants that make people want to kill themselves. Hollywood fails again!

Whisky Dog
06-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Does this movie end with some people in an enclosed space trying to keep some evil force out? Every one of his movies seems to end that way. The producer should bitch slap him if he ever comes up with that scenario in a script again.

AlamoSpursFan
06-14-2008, 09:02 AM
man, i had to check the spoiler on this and all i can say is wow. i'm glad i didn't waste my mom.

I'm sure she's pretty fucking happy about it too...

:lol

LuvBones
06-14-2008, 11:57 AM

I agree. I guess i'm against the crowd when I say I enjoy M. night's movies. The Happening was really entertaining and I'm thinking of watching it again to show my support. :p: If you guys liked Sixth Sense and Signs, I think you'll enjoy this movie.

BlackSwordsMan
06-14-2008, 12:20 PM
plants kill people
can't wait to see it!!!

BlackSwordsMan
06-14-2008, 12:21 PM
:lol Someone on the youtube board said something about plants killing people or some crap. But that synopsis makes sense about the mind control thing. Must be some kind of force or something that attacks certain areas at a time.was it suicidalbuu?

Xolotl
06-14-2008, 12:36 PM
plants kill people
can't wait to see it!!!

Are you serious?? The plants kill people...never heard of that before...damn

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/Xolotl80/littleshop.jpg

BlackSwordsMan
06-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Are you serious?? The plants kill people...never heard of that before...damn

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/Xolotl80/littleshop.jpg
FEED ME BABY!!!

BlackSwordsMan
06-14-2008, 08:06 PM
You also forgot attack of the killer tomatoes

Anti.Hero
06-15-2008, 03:03 PM
It was kind of interesting, mildly entertaining. Wahlberg with some shit acting. The entire dialogue was pretty weak.

4.5/10

scott
06-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Just got back from the theater, and I can say with confidence that this is the worst movie I've ever seen.

Apparently in Hollywood if you make one decent movie (Sixth Sense), they will just let you shit on a roll of film and call it a movie.

Not only did this suffer from MASSIVE predictability (and I didn't read anything about this movie before seeing it, but I figured the whole thing out within 10 minutes of the movie starting as soon as they showed Walburg teaching his class), horrid acting (did he MAKE them act so shitty) and standard Shaymalan cliche, but it also was another vehicle for M. Knights preachy pretentiousness.

I give it 1.0/10, simply for the fact it was so bad that I laughed a few times.

balli
06-15-2008, 10:03 PM
I can't wait to download and laugh at this shit. Based on most of what I've heard, I wish instead of theaters this would have just been released straight to Mystery Science Theatre.

nsrammstein
06-15-2008, 10:21 PM
lol

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
so is the scene with marky mark and the potted plant true?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Just got back from the theater, and I can say with confidence that this is the worst movie I've ever seen.

The Day After Tomorrow with killer plants and trees?

Whoever said 'Tomorrow is another day' didn't check the garden nursery..

But worse than Battlefield Earth? Tough job, but if M. Night truly has hit rock bottom, it's definitely attainable.

angelbelow
06-16-2008, 02:14 AM
maybe its just me, but i always get very hyped up by mnight but end up being disappointed after the movie.

Anti.Hero
06-16-2008, 06:57 AM
It was better than The Strangers. I'll give it that. LOL

Jimcs50
06-16-2008, 07:44 AM
I agree. I guess i'm against the crowd when I say I enjoy M. night's movies. The Happening was really entertaining and I'm thinking of watching it again to show my support. :p: If you guys liked Sixth Sense and Signs, I think you'll enjoy this movie.

Looks like you and I are alone in this, Luv. I think we are the only ones intelligent enough to get it.

:p:

ididnotnothat
06-16-2008, 08:09 AM
I thought it was an entertaining movie. You all try to make it more than it is. I liked it.

Anti.Hero
06-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Looks like you and I are alone in this, Luv. I think we are the only ones intelligent enough to get it.

:p:

To get what? Please explain your profound findings!

I think we all got it. We also got how boring it was.

ididnotnothat
06-16-2008, 08:34 AM
To get what? Please explain your profound findings!

I think we all got it. We also got how boring it was.

I didn't find it boring at all. I found it to be entertaining like most movies. I guess some get it and some just like to bitch.

Jimcs50
06-16-2008, 08:52 AM
I didn't find it boring at all. I found it to be entertaining like most movies. I guess some get it and some just like to bitch.

It is nice to go through life with a happy go lucky, glass is half full outlook, instead of a sour puss, glass is half empty, bitch bitch bitch personality....yes?

Islymore
06-16-2008, 09:22 AM
I too enjoy M. Night's movies also. I enjoyed Sixth Sense, thought it was an excellent film, altho predictable it was filmed well, I thought the small details really made the movie. I liked Unbreakable - Who was in that movie, Bruce Willis? Or am I making that up? Like the guy never died or something, right? It was mediocre at best. I was disappointed with that one initially.

Then I saw the Village, I thought it was strange, but I wound up watching it repeatedly just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Not repeatedly in a row, but if I scrolled the channels and it was on - I'd watch it again the next day or something when nothing else was on. But I kinda enjoyed the hermit village with the "outside world" being forbidden and how they were so secluded yet happy in their confines, not knowing a world existed outside of their lil village.

Now... Lady in the Water... was really strange to me. But with that said, I thought it was interesting to watch. I enjoyed the way it all clicked in the end, but it wasn't something you could just figure out in the first ten minutes of the movie like 6th sense.

So I guess I too am a M. Night fan. I won't deny it. But I dunno if I want to see the Happening... due to all the heavy BAD reviews, I might just get it on bootleg.

Anti.Hero
06-16-2008, 10:11 AM
It is nice to go through life with a happy go lucky, glass is half full outlook, instead of a sour puss, glass is half empty, bitch bitch bitch personality....yes?

Don't knock it till ya try it!!!

balli
06-16-2008, 10:18 AM

"The nice thing about being a pessimist is that you're either constantly being proven right, or you're pleasantly surprised."

thispego
06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
do you fucking shit heads know how to talk about a movie without giving away the ending?? obviously not. dumbfucks - you know who you are

Anti.Hero
06-16-2008, 11:29 AM
It had an ending??

thispego
06-16-2008, 12:01 PM
guess i'll never know now

Jimcs50
06-16-2008, 12:29 PM
"The nice thing about being a pessimist is that you're either constantly being proven right, or you're pleasantly surprised."

:lol

scott
06-16-2008, 01:41 PM

I guess I'm just a stupid pessimist who likes to bitch... because I thought I "got it", but that it was just a really horrible movie.

td4mvp21
06-17-2008, 01:38 PM
WARNING: Possible Spoilers

I saw it last night and I liked it. The best part of the movie, IMO, was the setting. Shymalan (sp?) did an excellent job establishing the dominance of nature and as a result, creating a sense of confinement and being trapped. IMO that was the creepiest part of the movie. You saw the fear in the characters yet they didn't even know what they were running from? And as the movie went on, they knew what they were running from but couldn't avoid it. I felt very confined just watching the movie. I did find the movie pretty disturbing overall, just because of all the suicides and the manner in which they were done. Very graphic and emotionless-almost routine. Overall, I would recommend it. It was a good movie. The ending of course was an enigma but it leaves room for a lot of thought and discussion about Shymalan's message.

florige
06-17-2008, 02:01 PM
guess i'll never know now

I just got back from seeing it and I wasn't dissappointed at all. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Go check it out TP, you won't be dissappointed.

mardigan
06-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Thought it was cool. Some of the acting kind of sucks, but it's nice to see an original idea for once.

mookie2001
06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
so who gets the final deathblow?

curtismedellin
06-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Positive reveiws for this movie????
Saw it last night, waste of my money.

The acting was way below par.I expected more from Wahlberg.
My daughter was laughing at some of the scenes.
Who can blame her? A dude in a tiger cage taunting them to eat him with one arm gone.
Shit, might as well inserted the Black Knight from Monty Pythons Holy Grail at that point.

Severely dissapointed. ShylaLAME won't get one more dollar from my pocket

Fillmoe
06-23-2008, 03:07 AM
this movie fucking sucked cock

PixelPusher
06-23-2008, 03:31 AM
Just think, if M. Knight ShyamaLame had died right after making "The Sixth Sense", we would all be mourning the loss of a potentially gifted director. Too bad he endures to continually remind us what a one-trick pony he really is.

MateoNeygro
06-23-2008, 03:21 PM
What pisses me off is that somebody is paying this no talent ass clown millions upon millions of dollars for this swill. Shit, I haven't held a camcorder for more than 15 minutes in my whole life, but I guarantee if you gave me a script writing program, a naked chick, four guns, a roll of duct tape and a budget of 15,000 bucks I could come up with something better than a Shyamalan movie.

hahahahahah roflmao that shit was funny as hell. Well played sir, well played.:lol:rollin:blah:lmao:lmao:lmao

MateoNeygro
06-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Could this be the inaugural use of the word "compunction" on a message board? :toast

ahhahaha:lmao

mookie2001
05-19-2009, 11:41 PM
so the happening is wind?

mookie2001
05-19-2009, 11:41 PM
or plants?

SA210
05-19-2009, 11:45 PM
This movie is complete crap! Hollywood funded this crap! Just stupid! Nothing happened.

It's what I expected from this director, trash.

mookie2001
05-19-2009, 11:49 PM
that slow wind is pretty scary

SA210
05-19-2009, 11:51 PM
that slow wind is pretty scary

The wind worked for very cheap. So why not?

:bang

mookie2001
05-19-2009, 11:56 PM
we have to protect this little girl from the trees
-thanks marky mark