PDA

View Full Version : This Bud's from Belgiam?

101A
06-12-2008, 10:46 AM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080612/D918GF9G0.html

I'm thinking Miller would do REAL well if this were to happen...and, ironically we might finally have a big brewery in the U.S. that would put out a product that actually tastes like beer.

By CHRISTOPHER LEONARDST. LOUIS (AP) - Belgian Brewer InBev is offering a big payday to shareholders of Anheuser-Busch Cos. (BUD (http://research.scottrade.com/public/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?id=1&symbol=BUD)) (BUD (http://research.scottrade.com/public/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?id=1&symbol=BUD)) Inc., but its bid to create the world's largest beer company is already facing a major obstacle - U.S. election-year politics.
InBev SA, whose brands include Beck's and Stella Artois, delivered an unsolicited all-cash bid of $65 a share for Anheuser-Busch, which makes Budweiser, Michelob and Bud Light. That's well above the St. Louis-based company's closing share price of $58.35 Wednesday.
But politicians and activists are already lining up against the deal, saying it could cost jobs in the United States and send ownership of an iconic American company overseas. With economic concerns at the front of voters' minds, the opposition could cause a headache for InBev.
Republican Gov. Matt Blunt said Wednesday he opposes the deal, and directed the Missouri Department of Economic Development to see if there was a way to stop it.
"I am strongly opposed to the sale of Anheuser-Busch, and today's offer to purchase the company is deeply troubling to me," Blunt said in a statement.
Web sites have sprung up opposing the deal on patriotic grounds, arguing that such an iconic U.S. firm shouldn't be handed over to foreign ownership. One of the sites, called SaveAB.com, was launched by Blunt's former chief of staff, Ed Martin.
"Shareholders should resist choosing dollars over American jobs," Martin said in a statement Wednesday night. "Selling out to the Belgians is not worth it - because this is about more than beer: it's about our jobs and our nation."
If the deal goes through, it would create a beer-brewing giant and mark just the latest phase of consolidation in an industry facing rising ingredient costs and stale demand in the United States.
"Anheuser-Busch said that its board of directors will evaluate the proposal carefully and in the context of all relevant factors, including Anheuser-Busch's long-term strategic plan," the company said in a statement. "The board will pursue the course of action that is in the best interests of Anheuser-Busch's stockholders."
A spokeswoman said the company would not comment beyond the statement.
InBev Chief Executive Carlos Brito said the deal would boost both companies, giving InBev access to the U.S. market while expanding Anheuser-Busch's reach overseas.
"We have the highest respect for Anheuser-Busch, its employees and its leadership, who have built the leading brewer in the U.S. and grown the iconic Budweiser brand. Together, we would draw on the collective expertise of both companies' management and employees."
Shares of Anheuser-Busch soared 7.6 percent to $62.80 after regular trading hours, when the announcement was made. They had risen 2 percent in late-afternoon trading, when rumors of the deal were reported on CNBC. Speculation has been rife in recent weeks that the deal might occur.
InBev was formed in 2004 when Belgium's Interbrew merged with South America's biggest brewer AmBev. Since then, the company has cut jobs in several European countries while its sales were boosted by strong demand in Latin American countries.
Worries about job cuts at Anheuser-Busch could be justified. InBev has a reputation for squeezing costs out of the companies it acquires, said Benj Steinman, editor of the Beer Marketer's Insights trade publication. Because of its size - and control of nearly half the U.S. beer market - Anheuser-Busch could be a ripe target for cost-cutting.
"One theory is that their own cost reductions are winding down in Europe and Asia and around the world, and they need somewhere to sort of implement what they're best at," Steinman said.
InBev tried to allay those fears Wednesday, saying it would not close any Anheuser-Busch breweries and would make St. Louis the headquarters for its North American division. The company also said it would invite some Anheuser-Busch directors to join InBev's board.
Anheuser-Busch executives have made cost-cutting a goal over the last two years. Sales in the United States have been stagnant as consumers turn toward wine and cocktails, and the rising costs of ingredients have bitten into profit margins.
Last year, Anheuser-Busch turned a profit of $2.12 billion, up nearly 8 percent from $1.97 billion in 2006. But its core brands of Budweiser and Bud Light continued to lag as sales of craft beers and imports rose.
While the InBev deal looks sweet on paper, it's far from a sure thing. InBev said it plans to pay for the deal with $40 billion in debt, and raising so much capital could be tough as banks tighten their standards during a global credit crunch.
InBev's statement said the company has "strong support" from a number of financial institutions, including Barclays Capital, Deutsche Bank and JPMorgan. The company would pay for part of the deal by divesting some "noncore assets" along with equity financing.
Opposition to the deal is sure to be stiff in St. Louis. SaveAB.com offers visitors yard signs and bumper stickers to express their distaste for the purchase.
"Like baseball, apple pie and ice cold beer (wrapped in a red, white and blue label), Anheuser-Busch is an American original," the site says.

Extra Stout
06-12-2008, 10:57 AM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080612/D918GF9G0.html

I'm thinking Miller would do REAL well if this were to happen...and, ironically we might finally have a big brewery in the U.S. that would put out a product that actually tastes like beer.
Isn't Miller a subsidiary of a South African company?

P.S. Most Americans don't want a beer that tastes like beer. They want a beer that tastes inoffensive, is cheap, and gets them drunk.

Don Quixote
06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
What's wrong with that?

If you want some flavor, Thunderbird is packed with it. And it'll get you drunk.

clambake
06-12-2008, 11:01 AM
chimay blue grand reserve.

Don Quixote
06-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Isn't Miller a subsidiary of a South African company?

P.S. Most Americans don't want a beer that tastes like beer. They want a beer that tastes inoffensive, is cheap, and gets them drunk.

"I can't taste my beer":(

Extra Stout
06-12-2008, 11:07 AM
If you want a beer that tastes like beer, A-B already makes it. It's called Michelob. It's not the best in the world and is a little too sweet for my tastes, but it is a legitimate attempt at beer.

Budweiser is a rice lager.

Extra Stout
06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Being bought by Belgians wouldn't make Budweiser better anyway unless the takeover includes a plan to replace all A-B brewers with Catholic monks.

Don Quixote
06-12-2008, 11:24 AM
I keed ... I don't even like beer. It's nasty. I'm glad you guys are into it, though, for without beer, there would be no beer commercials. Or sports on TV.

101A
06-12-2008, 11:31 AM
If you want a beer that tastes like beer, A-B already makes it. It's called Michelob. It's not the best in the world and is a little too sweet for my tastes, but it is a legitimate attempt at beer.

Budweiser is a rice lager.

Have to disagree on Michelob. Try this; let it get warm; if it doesn't taste like horse piss; it's a decent brew. Michelob? Equine urine.

jochhejaam
06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I keed ... I don't even like beer. It's nasty. I'm glad you guys are into it, though, for without beer, there would be no beer commercials. Or sports on TV.

I don't drink it either, but IIRC, I liked the taste.

Wild Irish Rose is more flavorful than Thunderbird.

Extra Stout
06-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Luther once said something to the effect that many pillars of the papacy were torn down as he and his buddies threw back pints in the pub.

Don Quixote
06-12-2008, 11:59 AM
The fact that David danced and Jesus drank and made wine would cause a theological crisis for many Baptists.

jochhejaam
06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
The fact that David danced and Jesus drank and made wine would cause a theological crisis for many Baptists.

I think you'd be surprised to find out how many Baptists are Pabstists.

101A
06-12-2008, 12:11 PM

Jesus's first public miracle, and one of his final commands to his disciples both involved Wine. DO NOT understand many of my fellow Christian's belief that alcohol = sin. Grape Juice at communion? Jesus' example not good enough for them, I guess.

101A
06-12-2008, 12:11 PM
I think you'd be surprised to find out how many Baptists are Pabstists.

Pabst = REALLY bad beer.

Extra Stout
06-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Have to disagree on Michelob. Try this; let it get warm; if it doesn't taste like horse piss; it's a decent brew. Michelob? Equine urine.
That rules out Heineken then.

Don Quixote
06-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Jesus's first public miracle, and one of his final commands to his disciples both involved Wine. DO NOT understand many of my fellow Christian's belief that alcohol = sin. Grape Juice at communion? Jesus' example not good enough for them, I guess.

There are some thing about Baptists (I am one) that I disagree with. Not really anything deep theologically, mainly minor stuff. But certainly it is sin to drink to excess.

jochhejaam
06-12-2008, 12:30 PM

Usher: "If you want communion I'll need to see an ID".

101A
06-12-2008, 12:33 PM
There are some thing about Baptists (I am one) that I disagree with. Not really anything deep theologically, mainly minor stuff. But certainly it is sin to drink to excess.

Just about ANYTHING to excess is a sin.

101A
06-12-2008, 12:35 PM
That rules out Heineken then.

...and Corona, Dos Equis, Shiner, etc...

Extra Stout
06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Usher: "If you want communion I'll need to see an ID".
Is Catholicism illegal in dry counties?

xrayzebra
06-12-2008, 02:44 PM
What's wrong with that?

If you want some flavor, Thunderbird is packed with it. And it'll get you drunk.

Holy smokes, you ever been around anyone that
has been drinking T-bird, ripple. yikes!

Wild Cobra
06-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, drinking only quality beers, I don't care what happens to Shludwiller. The title caught me off guard also. Real Budweiser in made in Czechoslovakia.

Budweiser trademark dispute (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_trademark_dispute), part of wiki link:

According to the brewery, King Otakar II of Bohemia granted independent brewers in the city of Budweis the right to produce beer as early as 1265. They did so in a style that became known as "Budweiser," much as beers brewed in the fashion of another Czech city, Plzeň (German: Pilsen), are referred to as "Pilsner".

Anheuser-Busch started marketing their product as Budweiser in the United States in the late 19th century. This was immediately after a Bohemian brewery located in České Budějovice launched their product in the US market under the original name, Budweiser Bürgerbrau. Anheuser-Busch cites prior registration of the trademark in the US and battles for the right to use it worldwide in many legal disputes against Budvar in several countries. Budvar wishes to maintain its right to market their beer under their traditional trademark. Budvar has marketed its product this way since 1895 and claim that Budweiser is a generic name, just as the pilsener style comes from the town of Pilsen (Plzeň).

The existence of the Czech beer of the same name has caused problems in some markets. A long-standing agreement with the Czech brewery divided the rights to the name "Budweiser", so that the Anheuser-Busch product is marketed as "Bud" (in France and elsewhere) and "Anheuser-Busch B" (Germany), where the Czech beer has the rights to the name. Anheuser-Busch has made offers to buy out the Czech brewing company in order to secure global rights to the name "Budweiser" for both beers, but such offers have been refused.[citation needed]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Budvar_UK.JPG/450px-Budvar_UK.JPG

I've had real Budweiser when I lived in Germany. Puts the USA stuff to shame. The imports out of Europe usually aren't the same quality after such long shipping times and conditions. Any import found here may not be as good as buying it there.

BradLohaus
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Bud Light is the worst beer on the planet. I'd rather drink those fruity beers that they sell at the Fox & Hound. Seriously.

Marcus Bryant
06-12-2008, 08:22 PM

Alcohol and dancing are the Devil's traps.

Clandestino
06-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Well, drinking only quality beers, I don't care what happens to Shludwiller. The title caught me off guard also. Real Budweiser in made in Czechoslovakia.

Budweiser trademark dispute (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_trademark_dispute), part of wiki link:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Budvar_UK.JPG/450px-Budvar_UK.JPG

I've had real Budweiser when I lived in Germany. Puts the USA stuff to shame. The imports out of Europe usually aren't the same quality after such long shipping times and conditions. Any import found here may not be as good as buying it there.

ive had this shit before. it sucks. i lived in europe for 6 years and this stuff sucks...

also american budweiser has won many lawsuits against the czech budweiser for the original naming rights.

Don Quixote
06-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Wild Irish Rose is more flavorful than Thunderbird.

Wild Irish Rose is for women and high-school-aged wusses. Thunderbird, and Mickey's Malt Liquor, are drinks for a man.

BradLohaus
06-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Thunderbird, and Mickey's Malt Liquor, are drinks for a man

There we go, Thunderbird and Mickey's hand grenades. That takes me back.

Mickey's, Thunderbird and Mad Dog 20/20. The triumverate :toast

101A
06-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Alcohol and dancing are the Devil's traps.

Don't know if you are being sarcastic; but you might bone up on the number of times GOD blesses people, nations, etc...with good wine, as documented in the Bible. God is a pawn of the Devil?

Extra Stout
06-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Don't know if you are being sarcastic; but you might bone up on the number of times GOD blesses people, nations, etc...with good wine, as documented in the Bible. God is a pawn of the Devil?
That was grape juice, not wine. God miraculously kept it from fermenting.

jochhejaam
06-13-2008, 10:54 AM
That was grape juice, not wine. God miraculously kept it from fermenting.

The archaeological finding of one of the six stone jars used in the miracle of turning water into wine was pristinely preserved, to the extent that residue scraped from the inside, when mixed with the appropiate chemicals, provided an accurate alcohol content.
It was found to be approximately .5 percent alcohol, or the same amount found in the non-alcolholic beverages Sharp's and Kingsbury.

jochhejaam
06-13-2008, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=101A;2598518]Don't know if you are being sarcastic; but you might bone up on the number of times GOD blesses people, nations, etc...with good wine, as documented in the Bible. QUOTE]

Help me out here 101, how many times did He?

101A
06-13-2008, 11:09 AM
The archaeological finding of one of the six stone jars used in the miracle of turning water into wine was pristinely preserved, to the extent that residue scraped from the inside, when mixed with the appropiate chemicals, provided an accurate alcohol content.
It was found to be approximately .5 percent alcohol, or the same amount found in the non-alcolholic beverages Sharp's and Kingsbury.

There was no refrigeration; how in the world did the ancient abstainers keep the grape juice to such a modest alcohol content; keep it from fermenting? Chances are their version actually was of a higher alcohol content than much of the wine we consume today; granted, for drinking to quench thirst it was mixed with water.

101A
06-13-2008, 11:15 AM
http://wooga.drbacchus.com/bible/alcoholr.html

That's every reference to alcohol in the Bible.

Extra Stout
06-13-2008, 11:22 AM
:lmao That is funny on so many levels.

jochhejaam
06-13-2008, 11:27 AM
http://wooga.drbacchus.com/bible/alcoholr.html

That's every reference to alcohol in the Bible.

Thanks, but I'm not interested in an extensive search, although I don't recall much in the way of "wine blessings" being in the Bible. I was under the impression that your quote, "...but you might bone up on the number of times GOD blesses people, nations, etc...with good wine, as documented", inferred that you had boned up on it, and had a specific number in mind.

My belief is that Christs' miracle was a prelude and introduction into his engendered relationship with God, via a miracle, rather than an endorsement of alcohol consumption.

Extra Stout
06-13-2008, 11:27 AM
The only way Pentecostal clergy can get away with those kinds of stories is that the congregation abstains from alcohol and knows nothing about how wine is produced.

jochhejaam
06-13-2008, 11:34 AM
The only way Pentecostal clergy can get away with those kinds of stories is that the congregation abstains from alcohol and knows nothing about how wine is produced.

Actually never heard a sermon like that, I was just flying by the seat of my pants.

Shouldn't have edited out my last line of "Believe It, Or Not". :toast

Extra Stout
06-13-2008, 11:43 AM
My belief is that Christs' miracle was a prelude and introduction into his engendered relationship with God, via a miracle, rather than an endorsement of alcohol consumption.
The abolitionist strain of the temperance movement did not exist in Western society until the 19th century, among Christians or anybody else. It was a result of the breakdown of informal social controls against drunkenness which came due to the effects of urbanization, and the lawlessness of the open West. The movement started in the United States and spread to the other English-speaking industrialized nations.

It emerged at the same time as the Restorationist and Pietist movement, which is why so many of those groups take it as gospel. It reached its zenith around the turn of the century, which was when the Pentecostal movement split off from the Pietists. That is why Pentecostals are so fervent about it.

It has nothing to do with historic orthodox Christianity. Abolition of alcohol consumption within Christianity is a cultural pecularity rooted in a particular time and place. Choosing not to drink is fine and dandy. Choosing to set an example in a local environment where extreme drunkenness is a problem is laudable. Attempting to impose that conviction on other Christians is error.

101A
06-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks, but I'm not interested in an extensive search, although I don't recall much in the way of "wine blessings" being in the Bible. I was under the impression that your quote, "...but you might bone up on the number of times GOD blesses people, nations, etc...with good wine, as documented", inferred that you had boned up on it, and had a specific number in mind.

How about "Do this in remembrance of me".

Is that an endorsement?

145 is the specific number I had in mind (might be off by a couple).

Extra Stout
06-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Actually never heard a sermon like that, I was just flying by the seat of my pants.

Shouldn't not have edited out my last line of "Believe It, Or Not". :toast
OK, you stumped me. I actually couldn't tell whether that was satire or not. I just remember having this discussion with an A/G roommate in college.

101A
06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
The abolitionist strain of the temperance movement did not exist in Western society until the 19th century, among Christians or anybody else. It was a result of the breakdown of informal social controls against drunkenness which came due to the effects of urbanization, and the lawlessness of the open West. The movement started in the United States and spread to the other English-speaking industrialized nations.

It emerged at the same time as the Restorationist and Pietist movement, which is why so many of those groups take it as gospel. It reached its zenith around the turn of the century, which was when the Pentecostal movement split off from the Pietists. That is why Pentecostals are so fervent about it.

It has nothing to do with historic orthodox Christianity. Abolition of alcohol consumption within Christianity is a cultural pecularity rooted in a particular time and place. Choosing not to drink is fine and dandy. Choosing to set an example in a local environment where extreme drunkenness is a problem is laudable. Attempting to impose that conviction on other Christians is error.

You would be a kick in small group.

Extra Stout
06-13-2008, 11:51 AM
You would be a kick in small group.
What would be the response if I asked,

"Why is it that Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Eastern Catholics, Coptics, Armenians, Assyrians, Nestorians, and all the other churches, Nicene or otherwise, that have been around for over a millenium, have worship practices that look really similar to one another, even among those that have had little to no contact for a thousand years, while we American evangelicals, who worship in ways radically different from all of them, insist we have maintained the ways of the early church?"

Would they kick me out before I could even get a slice of pizza?

Don Quixote
06-13-2008, 12:26 PM

I agree ... the miracle at Cana was not intended to be an endorsement of alcohol consumption. Its point was to announce the beginning of Jesus' ministry. But we shouldn't say that the Scriptures totally rule out the occasional or moderate consumption of wine, either. I don't think they do, anyway.

But I respect those who don't drink. Shoot, I don't drink.

Don Quixote
06-13-2008, 12:28 PM

"Why is it that Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Eastern Catholics, Coptics, Armenians, Assyrians, Nestorians, and all the other churches, Nicene or otherwise, that have been around for over a millenium, have worship practices that look really similar to one another, even among those that have had little to no contact for a thousand years, while we American evangelicals, who worship in ways radically different from all of them, insist we have maintained the ways of the early church?"

I wouldn't. You're absolutely right that North American Christianity (fundamentalism) has tended to impose modern (19th century) readings on the biblical text, and confused that which is laudable with that which is commanded in scripture. I think evangelicalism is starting to come around, though.

jochhejaam
06-13-2008, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the education Stout, and we're on the same page in the bolded type.

But we shouldn't say that the Scriptures totally rule out the occasional or moderate consumption of wine, either. I don't think they do, anyway.

Sounds right to me DQ.

101A
06-13-2008, 02:42 PM

They don't kick me out for drinking a beer (when it's held at my house); I'm sure they'd let you hang around - and stare in awe if you are a member of one of the aforementioned ancient denominations who actually READS the Bible..

xrayzebra
06-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Seems like in my college days when studying world lit and
the Greeks, it was stated that they actually mixed wine
with water, about half and half. But I could be wrong.

Extra Stout
06-13-2008, 02:47 PM
They don't kick me out for drinking a beer (when it's held at my house); I'm sure they'd let you hang around - and stare in awe if you are a member of one of the aforementioned ancient denominations who actually READS the Bible..
Individual reading of the Bible didn't really take off until Wittenberg.

Extra Stout
06-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Seems like in my college days when studying world lit and
the Greeks, it was stated that they actually mixed wine
with water, about half and half. But I could be wrong.
DING! Diluted wine was common, because, well, it's cheaper.

jochhejaam
06-13-2008, 05:28 PM

When I hear talk of the "early Church" it evokes thoughts of the Day of Pentecost in the Upper Room, faith in action, and personalizing the Great Commission.

What would your response be if the question you posed was directed to you?

jochhejaam
06-13-2008, 05:46 PM
How about "Do this in remembrance of me".

Is that an endorsement?

The wine, grape juice, or whatever element is used, is representative of the Blood of Christ, and provides us a time for self examination, reflection, and thankfulness for the sacrifice Christ became for the remittance of mankinds' sins.

The drink is symbolic of his Blood, and it doesn't matter if it's wine, grape juice or whatever.

In conclusion, no, it's not an endorsement for wine drinking, no more so than filling your car with fuel is an endorsement of sniffing gas fumes.

Ignignokt
06-13-2008, 07:18 PM
The wine, grape juice, or whatever element is used, is representative of the Blood of Christ, and provides us a time for self examination, reflection, and thankfulness for the sacrifice Christ became for the remittance of mankinds' sins.

The drink is symbolic of his Blood, and it doesn't matter if it's wine, grape juice or whatever.

In conclusion, no, it's not an endorsement for wine drinking, no more so than filling your car with fuel is an endorsement of sniffing gas fumes.

You're right, it's not an endorsement on wine, nevertheless the bible as a whole does not condemn the consumption of wine, but rather the excess of and the folly of consuming too much. Just like food.

Now if evangelicals would consume less food and more wine, there wouldn't be so many lard butts trying to tell me that i have a ministry in my life blah blah blah.

Gluttony is a sin, but the bible doesn't condemn nourishment.

Don Quixote
06-13-2008, 10:50 PM
You're right, it's not an endorsement on wine, nevertheless the bible as a whole does not condemn the consumption of wine, but rather the excess of and the folly of consuming too much. Just like food.

Now if evangelicals would consume less food and more wine, there wouldn't be so many lard butts trying to tell me that i have a ministry in my life blah blah blah.

Gluttony is a sin, but the bible doesn't condemn nourishment.

Great quote! The gospel is much bigger than worrying about what we eat and drink. To teach that salvation hinges upon doing x, y, and z (works) is error and diminishes our need for grace. And we certainly need His grace.

This is not to say, of course, that we ought to, then, sin. Such an attitude betrays a heart not set apart for God. But to 100% equivocate the occasional, moderate consumption of alcohol (or other grey areas) as sin, is equally wrong.

possessed
06-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Pabst = REALLY bad beer.

hogwash

Kermit
06-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Bud Light is the worst beer on the planet. I'd rather drink those fruity beers that they sell at the Fox & Hound. Seriously.

Does liking lambics make me less of a man?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2008, 02:42 PM
chimay blue grand reserve.

wha-whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

+100000