PDA

View Full Version : Major Conflict of Interest

GoodToBeTheKing
06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
I find it very interesting that virtually every individual with any association with the NBA believes Donaghy is lying. Yet 76% of fans polled on ESPN believe it is true. Van Gundy was asked during game 3 if he believed it was true and he said Donaghy had no credibility. This from a guy who was fined 100k and acknowledges a ref mentioned that Yao would be targeted.

They asked Pollard who was basically denied a ring assuming the allegetion is true and although he says I always believed something was going on with that game he stops short in saying that Donaghy is telling the truth.

The reality is Stern doesn't allow the refs to speak with the media and all players, coaches either in the league or hoping to get in or return to the league know that speaking out would bring the wrath of Stern and potentially damage the credibility and integrity of a league that provides for their lavish lifestyles. Regardless of whether they believe Donaghy or not, these individuals have a huge incentive to believe that this is not true and therefore makes their opinion worthless.

xtremesteven33
06-12-2008, 11:34 AM
There can always be truth in a lie.but
there can never be a lie in the truth

spurastic
06-12-2008, 11:45 AM
"Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

FromWayDowntown
06-12-2008, 11:50 AM
It would help Donaghy's credibility a lot if he had pointed to things other than a couple of the most publicly-debated officiating controversies of the last decade in the NBA. I still think that if Donaghy's statement had been (and this is entirely a hypothetical without any suspicion on my part) something like: officials were instructed to extend the 2001 First Round series between Dallas and Utah to 5 games; "company men" made calls in Game 6 of the the 2001 Eastern Conference Semifinal between Charlotte and Milwaukee to favor Charlotte and create a 7th game; or game officials altered the way that they called a move by Jermaine O'Neal of the Pacers in response to complaints by executives of the New Jersey Nets during the 2002 First Round series between those teams.

Those sorts of allegations would be both new and unsuspected. I think that those who might tend to doubt Donaghy would be more inclined to find him credible if he was bringing something new to the table. And I think those who are endeavoring to protect the league's interests at this point would have a more difficult time dealing with Donaghy if those were his allegations.

Galileo
06-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I find it very interesting that virtually every individual with any association with the NBA believes Donaghy is lying. Yet 76% of fans polled on ESPN believe it is true. Van Gundy was asked during game 3 if he believed it was true and he said Donaghy had no credibility. This from a guy who was fined 100k and acknowledges a ref mentioned that Yao would be targeted.

They asked Pollard who was basically denied a ring assuming the allegetion is true and although he says I always believed something was going on with that game he stops short in saying that Donaghy is telling the truth.

The reality is Stern doesn't allow the refs to speak with the media and all players, coaches either in the league or hoping to get in or return to the league know that speaking out would bring the wrath of Stern and potentially damage the credibility and integrity of a league that provides for their lavish lifestyles. Regardless of whether they believe Donaghy or not, these individuals have a huge incentive to believe that this is not true and therefore makes their opinion worthless.

You are being suckered in by media propaganda. Most NBA players know about this. They are trotting out a few big names to try to keep this under wraps.

SenorSpur
06-12-2008, 12:17 PM
It should be expected that everyone associated with the league has "pulled ranks" to deny the claims. It's easy to shoot holes in Donaghy's claims because he's got no credibility. Furthermore, these claims will be difficult to prove. However, this guy is trying to plea bargain and if he's lying to the Feds, the consequences could be even more dire for him. So you have to wonder, if he is lying, would he risk further jail time as a vendetta.

Meanwhile, Commissioner Stern, just like NFL Commissioner Goddell, simply wants to rid this story of its public shelf life - NOW.

Indazone
06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
JVG's response was a measured response and after he was couseled by an attorney. If he ever wants to coach in the NBA again, he has to tred softly and make sure he doesn't offend anyone.

Twisted_Dawg
06-12-2008, 12:29 PM

Your first sentence says it all. No individuals with any associaiton to the NBA are going to same one crtitical thing as they do not want to piss off the NBA powers and get black balled from ever working for a team, the league or networks. Those are very lucrative jobs to come by.

Didn't you notice what a puppet Van Gundy looked like the other night when he read his carefully crafted statement?

z0sa
06-12-2008, 12:30 PM
It should be expected that everyone associated with the league has "pulled ranks" to deny the claims. It's easy to shoot holes in Donaghy's claims because he's got no credibility. Furthermore, these claims will be difficult to prove. However, this guy is trying to plea bargain and if he's lying to the Feds, the consequences could be even more dire for him. So you have to wonder, if he is lying, would he risk further jail time as a vendetta.

Meanwhile, Commissioner Stern, just like NFL Commissioner Goddell, simply wants to rid this story of its public shelf life - NOW.

You have to think of it though - if the feds find nothing, it still doesn't say he wasn't lying. I don't think they would extend his sentence (whatever that may be) or punish him otherwise more - this is something that isn't exactly "cut and dry." Again, I doubt even if a federal case turned up nothing it would hurt his own plea bargain.

So I could more than see this being a vendetta against Stern and the league for the Million dollar reprimand.

z0sa
06-12-2008, 12:32 PM
JVG's response was a measured response and after he was couseled by an attorney. If he ever wants to coach in the NBA again, he has to tred softly and make sure he doesn't offend anyone.

As others have stated, these are very, very rare jobs, with employees not only making absolute shitloads of money, they are American stars and ultimately, heroes.

To expect any different from any player or coach is folly.

SenorSpur
06-12-2008, 12:49 PM
You have to think of it though - if the feds find nothing, it still doesn't say he wasn't lying. I don't think they would extend his sentence (whatever that may be) or punish him otherwise more - this is something that isn't exactly "cut and dry." Again, I doubt even if a federal case turned up nothing it would hurt his own plea bargain.

So I could more than see this being a vendetta against Stern and the league for the Million dollar reprimand.

At this point, Stern's million dolloar reprimand doesn't look like such a good idea.

Mr. Body
06-12-2008, 12:51 PM
You're right. Just as I'd expect Enron top officials to come clean the day after allegations were suggested, I'd expect the NBA to spill the beans completely now. Not spilling the beans, then, they must be telling the truth: there was no collusion, no attempt to extend series or affect things in any way.

Move along. Move along.

lefty
06-12-2008, 12:51 PM
At this point, Stern's million dolloar reprimand doesn't look like such a good idea.

Stern panicking maybe? mm.....

Mr. Body
06-12-2008, 12:57 PM

Stern thinks he's il capo di tutti capi but really he's just another business man.

Galileo
06-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Donaghy has huge credibility.

The very same info that he was using to feed to gamblers (which has been certified as correct), is the same info he says was used to rig series.

Also, what Donaghy said is an official statement that can be used against him, not just someone blabbing to the media.

Third, Donaghy needs to provide accurate info to the court or he will get a longer prison sentence. if some player blabs wrong info to the media, he will not get a prison sentence.

Fourth, the info given by Donaghy is evidence, he is an eyewitness. It is all very specific and can be verified easily. It all rings true.

Spurs Brazil
06-12-2008, 03:09 PM
I agree with FWD

Donaghy has no credibility

hater
06-12-2008, 03:13 PM
David Stern = Hugo Chavez without the humour

ShoogarBear
06-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Donaghy is a scumbag, but the problem is that David Stern has built up so much animosity through his imperial, arrogant style and refusal to own up to issues. People are going to believe almost ANYBODY who either confirms their suspicions about the league or who might provide a mechanism to bring Stern down, regardless of other baggage or agendas the accuser carries.

HighLowLobForBig-50
06-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Donaghy has huge credibility.

The very same info that he was using to feed to gamblers (which has been certified as correct), is the same info he says was used to rig series.

Also, what Donaghy said is an official statement that can be used against him, not just someone blabbing to the media.

Third, Donaghy needs to provide accurate info to the court or he will get a longer prison sentence. if some player blabs wrong info to the media, he will not get a prison sentence.

Fourth, the info given by Donaghy is evidence, he is an eyewitness. It is all very specific and can be verified easily. It all rings true.

:tu i agree. playtime is over this is bigboy shit now

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-12-2008, 06:09 PM

If the feds don't find anything then Donaghy just perjured himself and faces even more hard time, which his lawyers have probably pointed out by now.

The feds don't take shit like lying under oath casually. If anything, it lends his comments more credibility.

Kindergarten Cop
06-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Saying that Donaghy has no credibility with this is like saying that Canseco had zero credibility in regards to the steroid allegations IMHO. Both are scumbags that lied to get ahead, and both are guilty of breaking the law - but they are both "experts" in their respected issues. I'm not ready to believe 100% of the statements that he makes, but I'm not ready to write them off immediately either.

fotan2
06-12-2008, 10:31 PM
If Van Gundy had admitted that was true , another 100,000 would have come