PDA

View Full Version : Holt Says Changes Possible For Spurs

duncan228
06-12-2008, 12:39 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA061208.1E.Spurs.224ceaeb.html

Holt says changes possible for Spurs
By William Pack
Express-News Business Writer

With its veteran business and marketing chief gone, the parent company of the San Antonio Spurs will look at reorganization possibilities under the leadership of its principal owner and two other top executives.

Spurs owner Peter Holt said Wednesday that nothing was certain about any changes in the wake of Tuesday’s resignation of Russ Bookbinder, a fixture in the team’s front office for more than 20 years.

But Holt said he wanted to take the opportunity to examine the entire structure of the Spurs Sports & Entertainment operation to see if improvements are possible. The process is designed to take about 30 days, but could linger through August.

In the interim, Holt said he’d be more active in the day-to-day operations of the four-team sports enterprise, along with R.C. Buford, senior vice president and general manager of the Spurs, and Rick Pych, executive vice president for finance and corporate development.

Holt called it a three-headed leadership team that would be in place as long as it takes for organizational decisions to be made. Buford, who has been the Spurs GM for six years, and Pych, who has handled arena development, ownership relations and various political duties since 2000, will split the responsibilities Bookbinder had, Holt said.

He didn’t say organizational changes were likely, because, he said, the existing organization has been successful. But the timing is right to see if the entertainment company can benefit from the experiences of other successful franchises, Holt said.

The owner said Bookbinder’s decision to resign after a successful tenure as executive vice president of business operations surprised him and nearly everyone in the organization. But he said the timing for the Spurs and Bookbinder made sense.

Bookbinder said Wednesday that he alone made the decision to leave the Spurs so he could have more time with his family, recharge and see what opportunities arise.

“I have no plans to jump into anything,” Bookbinder said Wednesday after spending a leisurely day with his wife, responding to well wishes from friends around the country, and “not worrying about a darn thing.”

“It’s an awesome feeling,” Bookbinder said.

Former Spurs owner B.J. “Red” McCombs, who helped get Bookbinder to San Antonio in 1988, said the executive built a talented and loyal staff, a group that’s become “one of the best management teams in all of sports, not just basketball.”

Bookbinder had a “very rare touch” for creating entertainment and promotions that appealed to fans without detracting from the game, the billionaire businessman said.

“This is a guy who will be hard to replace,” McCombs said.

timvp
06-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I love how we get no Spurs coverage about anything that matters from the Express-News, but we get wall to wall coverage of the coyote's right hand man calling it quits.

:pctoss

G-Nob
06-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Does this mean we can no longer look forward to Day-O and If You're Happy and You Know It instrumentals?

Brutalis
06-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I wanna know if this will result in the Spurs getting rid of that stupid ass "Ya'll Ready For This" lineup song.

It's so corny and childish.

Appoggiatura
06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I remember when the Spurs started using that song. I believe it was one of John Lucas' first games as coach in 1992. That in itself says a lot. It's been a few years since I moved from SA and I rarely get back, but I could have sworn I heard a different song a few weeks ago? Regardless, I agree with you completely. They've needed new intro music since they played in the dome.

1Parker1
06-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I love how we get no Spurs coverage about anything that matters from the Express-News, but we get wall to wall coverage of the coyote's right hand man calling it quits.

:lmao Very true. The title of the article is very misleading.

T Park
06-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Well I doubt theres anything happening with the Spurs right now at all....

ducks
06-12-2008, 02:14 PM

cia pop:lol:lol

mrspurs
06-12-2008, 02:34 PM

agreed they got rid of the wrong paper, and should have named the new one san antonio sadpress.....go spurs :flag:

ShoogarBear
06-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Phew, I figured this was going to be about a raise in season ticket prices.

FromWayDowntown
06-12-2008, 02:58 PM
That's it -- I'm sure that the Spurs are about to trade David Robinson!!

T Park
06-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Phew, I figured this was going to be about a raise in season ticket prices.

That was already announced back in April.

gospursgojas
06-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I wanna know if this will result in the Spurs getting rid of that stupid ass "Ya'll Ready For This" lineup song.

I thought they did get rid of it this season.

I don't remember hearing it at any games this season.

spurschick
06-12-2008, 04:04 PM

Um... they did that last season.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-12-2008, 04:09 PM
:lol

bigdog
06-12-2008, 04:14 PM
they did get rid of the song. and it's about time, too.

but i still don't like the new song lol.

SKINNYPIMP210
06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
they did get rid of the song. and it's about time, too.

but i still don't like the new song lol.

What is the new song?

ShoogarBear
06-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Um... they did that last season.

Yeah, boy and it really helped, didn't it? :depressed

Death In June
06-12-2008, 06:22 PM
The spurs were not ready for this.

SenorSpur
06-12-2008, 06:22 PM
.....and I thought this was going to be an article about on-court changes.

spurschick
06-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, boy and it really helped, didn't it? :depressed

Wouldn't it be nice if the song was the reason we lost? :lol

braeden0613
06-12-2008, 09:19 PM
What is the new song?
its a techno song from the matrix revolutions...no idea what the name is

taps
06-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I've been accusing the Spurs sound techs of using the same copy of 'Jock Jams' for years.

ShoogarBear
06-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if the song was the reason we lost? :lol

I maintained since the beginning of the season that we shouldn't mess with it.

What the hell, we were going to keep Finley and Horry but change the SONG? :bang

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-13-2008, 01:37 AM
No disrespect to the guy. But Good. He wasn't helping Spurs shake the "boring" label much.

Those intros in the last few years have been out of touch.

The song they used for this year actually made me yearn for "Ya'll Ready for This" because it was amusing well enough, for its corny datedness.

Maybe we'll get some young guy in charge of operations. Help sell the product better.
Not that any of it matters about our championship runs. But still.

Capt Bringdown
06-13-2008, 03:18 AM

To be fair, the Spurs aren't exactly known for their world-beating offseason moves lately, are they?

The past few years you could almost use a template to file your reports.

AlamoSpursFan
06-13-2008, 09:05 AM
.....and I thought this was going to be an article about on-court changes.

How far did you get into the article?

Holt says changes possible for Spurs
By William Pack
Express-News Business Writer

:lol

rascal
06-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Changes possible? He should be saying changes necessary.

The Truth #6
06-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Does anyone else feel like the entertainment they provide, like the non-stop potato sack races, rings of fire, and kids running full court in size 22 shoes is basically annoying and a waste of time?

In other words, does anyone decide to go to the games based on whether or not they're going to to get a free shirt shot out of a bazooka?

These in-game marketing stunts are probably done out of 7th grade peer pressure to keep up with the rest of what the other teams marketing departments are doing. I find it distracting and annoying and a waste of money. But hey, the marketing people have to do something to keep their jobs, right?

If anything, it's probably a way to give backdoor advertising to their sponsors. As if no one in San Antonio has heard of HEB before.

spurschick
06-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Actually, the on-court promotions are a part of huge sponsorship packages. The allure of any sponsorship is to get the company name and logo on as many things as possible to get it in front of as many people as possible. People watching the game at home are seeing a bunch of H-E-B commercials. Since people in the arena aren't seeing those, H-E-B gets in front of them via their on-court promotion.

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2008, 12:09 AM
wow been a while since spurschick has reposted, where you been hiding lately

T Park
06-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Does anyone else feel like the entertainment they provide, like the non-stop potato sack races, rings of fire, and kids running full court in size 22 shoes is basically annoying and a waste of time?

In other words, does anyone decide to go to the games based on whether or not they're going to to get a free shirt shot out of a bazooka?

These in-game marketing stunts are probably done out of 7th grade peer pressure to keep up with the rest of what the other teams marketing departments are doing. I find it distracting and annoying and a waste of money. But hey, the marketing people have to do something to keep their jobs, right?

If anything, it's probably a way to give backdoor advertising to their sponsors. As if no one in San Antonio has heard of HEB before.

A waste of time?

Its during a timeout.

What do you want them to do during timeouts.

Just have nothing going on and quiet? :lmao