PDA

View Full Version : will the DA charge Kobe today at 3 p.m. MDT

ducks
07-18-2003, 12:40 PM

Jimcs50
07-18-2003, 01:23 PM
It has already been reported that he will be charged. LA is screwed. I guess SA will have another asterisk on their 03-04 championship too.:)

Truthsayer
07-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Where Jim?

DuffMcCartney
07-18-2003, 02:10 PM
I say he does get charged but nothing happens to him.

MadeFromDust
07-18-2003, 02:15 PM
He'll be charged, but not with a felony. Then a jury will decide in his favour.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-18-2003, 02:28 PM
I heard on the radio a few minutes ago that the Vail paper is saying he will be charged...

Truthsayer
07-18-2003, 02:30 PM
Vail Daily (http://www.vaildaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030717/NEWS/307170101)

July 17, 2003
Charges on tap against Bryant today
Randy Wyrick

Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant will likely be charged today in connection with sexual assault allegations, the Vail Daily has learned.

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said in a written statement he will announce his charging decision at 3 p.m. today during a press conference at the Eagle County Justice Center.

No specific information was available at press time as to what those charges will be.

Felony sexual assault, the count on which Bryant was arrested July 4, carries penalties that include stiff prison sentences. Class 3 felony sexual assault carries penalties of 10 to 32 years in prison. The more serious Class 2 felony sexual assault carries with it a prison sentence of 16 to 48 years, according to state law.

Hurlbert said Thursday that he had informed the alleged victim of his decision. The alleged victim's family referred all questions to the District Attorney's Office. In a written statement Thursday, Hurlbert said there would be no other information available or comments until this afternoon's press conference. When reached Thursday night, he reiterated that statement.

Bryant is accused of felony sexual assault, stemming from allegations that when he checked into the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera, on June 30, he or someone in his entourage summoned a hotel worker to his room and he sexually assaulted her. The 19-year-old Eagle County woman reported it to around noon the next day, July 1.

Georgetown attorney Rob Wheeler, a former prosecutor with the District Attorney's Office, confirmed Thursday night that he had been retained by the alleged victim's family. He made his first appearance at Thursday's hearing at which the Vail Daily argued for dispatch records to the alleged victim's house.

Bryant, a three-time NBA champion with the Los Angeles Lakers, surrendered to authorities July 4 after Eagle County Sheriff Joe Hoy issued a warrant for his arrest.

The five-time All-Star was in Colorado for knee surgery at a Vail clinic. In his only public comments on the case, Bryant told the Los Angeles Times he "would never do something like that."

Bryant's attorney Pamela Mackey has repeatedly asserted that her client is not guilty.

Bryant attended the ESPY Awards in Los Angeles on Wednesday, but he avoided the media in his first public appearance since his arrest. He sat in the audience smiling and laughing with his wife.

Bryant would have to return to Colorado on Aug. 6 to hear the charges against him.

Details of the case have been sealed under a court order.

Authorities have said both Bryant and his accuser went to hospitals after the alleged attack for tests.

Sheriff's deputies took Bryant to Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs, about 40 miles west of the resort, early July 2.

Sheriff's investigators didn't reveal his arrest until July 6, two days after he posted $25,000 bond.

KUSA-TV in Denver reported that Mackey was on her way to Los Angeles.

Bryant has been one of the elite players in the NBA since entering the league straight out of high school at the age of 18. He starred when Los Angeles won three consecutive titles from 2000-02 and was the MVP of the 2002 All-Star game.

He met his wife, Vanessa Laine, in April 2001 and the two were engaged while she was still in high school. Their first child, Natalia Diamante Bryant, was born in January.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Cassius Clay
07-18-2003, 02:32 PM
If he is charged then I would say things don't look too good for him. The only way I see a DA doing that is if there is strong evidence. Given that DNA evidence was collected that cannot be good for Bryant.

You can make the argument (and we'll probably hear it) that the DA is simply out to make a name for himself. I'm not so sure about that. There's gotta be something substantial there.

LittleGeneral
07-18-2003, 02:36 PM
So the press conference is at 4 p.m. CT, yes?

DuffMcCartney
07-18-2003, 02:37 PM
Yeah I agree, man just imagine if he does go to jail....if the penalty is 10-30.....it would be more like 1-3 years in jail for Kobe....or if he does get 20 years.....he'll just serve 2.

Jimcs50
07-18-2003, 02:58 PM
In Colorado, you have to serve at least half of your term before parole is considered. If Kobe is guilty, his career is over. All that for a roll in the hay...WTF was he thinking????

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-18-2003, 02:59 PM
this case has become too high profile...

no way that he gets less punishment than average if convicted...

but from the little info that has trickled out I doubt he gets convicted...it sounds like one of those "his word against hers" and they are definitely gonna paint the girl as a tramp celebrity chaser and claim the sex was consentual even if there IS DNA evidence to prove consummation...

damn hard to get a "beyond a reasonable doubt" conviction in that case...after all...she DID voluntarily go up to his room in the middle of the night after she got off work...

ducks
07-18-2003, 03:01 PM
scoop (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2003/07/17/kobe_case_ap/)
Bryant's attorney, Pamela Mackey, has scheduled a news conference at 9 p.m. EDT at Staples Center in Los Angeles. It was not known whether Bryant will

Country Weeds
07-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Ask Mike Tyson how hard it is to get convicted even if the 'victim' lets you go down on her.:vomit

Jimcs50
07-18-2003, 03:14 PM
CC, it is no crime to go to a man's room, however, it is a crime to force the girl to have sex with you. She will get the body guards to testify for her and they will have to tell the truth or face perjury charges. Also there are credible witnesses that will testify as to her frame of mind when she cameout of his room...it was not a state of mind of a girl that just had a great time with a star player, it was a face of utter shock and disbelief...Kobe is is deep shit, he knows it.

SpursWoman
07-18-2003, 03:15 PM
So I guess it's safe to assume this actually was more than a vulgar joke or a smack on the ass. :(

Jimcs50
07-18-2003, 03:17 PM
SW, as I said last week, if they are asking for DNA samples from Kobe, that means there was seman involved, this was not some grabass fun...this is serious shit.

Cassius Clay
07-18-2003, 03:17 PM
I recall early on that there were reports of bruises on her body. She's definitely going to be put through the ringer by Bryant's defense team and by LA media subservient to the hopes of Laker fans that Bryant isn't indeed guilty.

DuffMcCartney
07-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Damn I wonder what Laker fans are doing now, crying their hearts out I'm sure. Its just funny but not funny at the same time...dark comedy I suppose.

bigzak25
07-18-2003, 03:20 PM
i blame the girl.

going to kobe's room after work....to do what? talk about the friggin playoffs....

and if he forced himself on her, she shoulda been screamin her ass off....

that's why it's key what noises exactly prompted the hotel guests to complain about......

scott
07-18-2003, 03:22 PM
So... if he gets convicted I guess he will change his mind about opting out next offseason? :lol

I see a community service sentence coming.

adidas11
07-18-2003, 03:23 PM
The truth will hopefully come out in the end. We should all be patient. :)

LittleGeneral
07-18-2003, 03:27 PM
that's why it's key what noises exactly prompted the hotel guests to complain about......

Actually, I believe the reports that hotel guests complained turned out to be false...from what I understand, there were no other people on Kobe's floor.

bigzak25
07-18-2003, 03:32 PM
then it's gonna be a damn interesting case......

obey your thirst kobe....just not your thirst for unwilling 19 year old white women.......

Jimcs50
07-18-2003, 03:34 PM
bigzac, that is a terrible attitude. What if that were your daughter that got raped? How many 19 yr old girls would not jump at the chance to go meet Kobe if he asked them to come to his room??? That is a normal response, a naive one, but still, one that most any girl would want to do. She wanted to go to his room and then tell all her friends that the great Kobe Bryant was trying to hit on her in his room, hell she would have been famous in her little small town clique. I am sure she has some experience handling horny guys many times and thought she could fight off another one w/o any problems.

KoriEllis
07-18-2003, 03:36 PM
I recall early on that there were reports of bruises on her body.

I read in an early report that there were bruises and lacerations in her vaginal area. If that's the case, coupled with DNA evidence, then I don't think Kobe can just get off because he's Kobe. A time comes when physical evidence overcomes celebrity status, isn't there?

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-18-2003, 03:36 PM
I drive by the Colorado State Prison complex every year going to our condo at Crested Butte...it looks like a very nice place, Kobe...:lol

Cassius Clay
07-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Indeed Kori, no matter how "hard" he works. If he wrecked his life over a piece of tail that's sad. :smokin2

ducks
07-18-2003, 03:38 PM
yes but kobe can say he had sex with her but she was willing

then it goes to hear say

who does the jury believe then?

then the lawyers try to destroy her character

and tries to put a seed of doubt he is guilty into the jury

MannyIsGod
07-18-2003, 03:47 PM
bigzak,

Thats a horrible stance to take on sexual assault.

Recently, I dated a woman who was a rape victim. You have no idea how much blame she placed on herself for the situatoin, not to mention how much blame those around her placed on her. It creates a wall around their heart that you have to see and experience to understand, and I was shocked.

It is very easy to sit back and say that she should have known better, but even if that is the case, if rape occured here, or sexual assault, or whatever the case maybe, she is not to blame.

gospurs21
07-18-2003, 03:50 PM
^^^
wasn't that Tyson's story too

Go Spurs....

bigzak25
07-18-2003, 03:51 PM
well, a girls stupidity does not give anyone the right to rape her.

but along those lines jim, what if it was your son.

Jimcs50
07-18-2003, 04:26 PM
I would kick his ass Zac.....

bigzak25
07-18-2003, 04:29 PM
well you assume guilt.

if guilty, i'd kick his ass too.

timvp
07-18-2003, 04:48 PM
Maybe some time in the penal system will finally wipe that smirk off his face.

:fro

DreamShake
07-18-2003, 05:00 PM
This is beyond incomprehensible...wtf would Kobe risk a minimum of 5 years in the coop for a little bump and grind?? He must have been high from an anesthesia overdose if he is really guilty...

Look on the bright side, though, Laker fans...imagine how good Kobe's jumper will be after a 5 year state-sponsored offseason.

:shootme

F7
07-18-2003, 05:19 PM
The Colorado inmates are REALLY going to give Kobe something to cry about.

his ass is gonna be jello.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Kobe is 6'7" about 230, big guns, low body fat, etc...

it's gonna take a mean mutha to pack HIS fudge...

MissAllThat
07-18-2003, 05:25 PM
I kinda think he might be charged, but then my brain tells me that the fact that he's Kobe will probably get him off even if he did do something.

bigzak25
07-18-2003, 05:25 PM
there gonna take it to the hole and drive on him all day long.....

ehh...i don't feel bad for him....he's always been cocky anyway....

Shelly
07-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Kobe better not drop the soap!

MadeFromDust
07-18-2003, 06:07 PM
3rd degree felony charge is now official

Clipper Nation
10-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Blast from the past :lol

LkrFan
10-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Blast from the past :lol
-25 more points son. SMH :lol

LkrFan
10-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Maybe some time in the penal system will finally wipe that smirk off his face.

:fro
-10 points for this post son. Even after 10 years, he is still smirking because 5 > 4. ;)

:downspin: