PDA

View Full Version : Question for Xbox 360 owners out there.....

Ballcox
06-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Is the Premium Xbox 360 HDMI compatable? I lost my owner's manual some time ago and was wanting to hook up an HDMI cable for my 360. This isn't an elite system, but the premium system that came out when they also had the core system available.

It looks like there is an HDMI slot in the back, but I've bought a couple different HDMI cables and they haven't fit in the back. So am I just wasting my time due to the elite system being the only one that is HDMI compatible?

Thanks in advance for input.

Heath Ledger
06-12-2008, 04:36 PM
only if it was made in the last 5 or 6 months or is an elite, launch 360's did not have hdmi they just started making them standard on premiums a few months ago.

Heath Ledger
06-12-2008, 04:37 PM
however you can get a vga to hdmi converter or component to hdmi converter i believe very cheaply.

Heath Ledger
06-12-2008, 04:39 PM
okay they aren't so cheap expect to pay $175-$225 for the converters.

romad_20
06-12-2008, 06:39 PM
bestbuy is selling one now and i do believe it's under $100

Try this link (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8648449&type=product&id=1195599144147)

dougp
06-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Don't go to bestbuy - use this for ALL your cables:

http://www.monoprice.com

Very reliable, all my electronics are connected via monoprice cables.

PM5K
06-12-2008, 09:01 PM
If you have HDMI it will say HDMI and look like this:

http://shopper.cnet.com/i/bto/20070809/360_hdmi_540x405.jpg

Ballcox
06-17-2008, 09:06 AM
^Thanks for above info guys, forgot to come back to this question for a few days and just remembered posting it today. Guess I'll order the converter for HDMI online.

Does anyone know how big a difference there is between the high end component cables and the HDMI format for the 360? I'm hoping the difference is noticeable if I'm going to drop the $ on the converter. Thanks.

Heath Ledger
06-17-2008, 09:58 AM
do not expect a huge difference man, component or vga gives an awesome picture hdmi was put in place for security to help slow down piracy more than anything else, aside from both audio and video passing thru one cable the difference in video quality will probalby not be that noticeable to you.

Ballcox
06-17-2008, 02:53 PM
^Well, now I'm wondering if I should even get the VGA/HDMI converter for the 360 if there won't be that big a difference in picture quality. I don't play games online, so for me it's just about playing games by myself at home.

The guys I talked to at Gamestop lead me to believe that there would be a HUGE difference in picture quality (resolution, shading, reflective qualities,etc.) with the HDMI set up. I'm now wondering if they were just trying to get some $ out of my pocket.

robino2001
06-17-2008, 04:26 PM
I have a launch 360 so no HDMI output for me... I upgraded from component to VGA a few months ago and the difference is amazing (47" 1080p tv). I believe I got my VGA wire from the monoprice.com website posted above for very cheap ($10-ish). I'd rather do that than use a converter to HDMI if you have a VGA input. (My tv only has one HDMI input and the STB is occupying that one.)

ballhog
06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Very negligible at that. Really depends on how big the TV. Smaller TV's (less than 42") it'll be tough to tell. Depends on how much money you have. I have both kinds and can't tell the difference. They're both very good.

baseline bum
06-18-2008, 10:22 PM
^Well, now I'm wondering if I should even get the VGA/HDMI converter for the 360 if there won't be that big a difference in picture quality. I don't play games online, so for me it's just about playing games by myself at home.

The guys I talked to at Gamestop lead me to believe that there would be a HUGE difference in picture quality (resolution, shading, reflective qualities,etc.) with the HDMI set up. I'm now wondering if they were just trying to get some $ out of my pocket.

HDMI is far superior to component in my experience with both the 360 and the PS3. So is VGA. If you have a VGA input on your HDTV, then buy the VGA cable. It makes a world of difference.

The VGA cables prob shouldn't cost you more than $35 or so.