PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts: Lakers Don't Choke, Get Outplayed in Game 5

csaenz
06-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Some thoughts:

As a Spurs fan you're taught to hate the other team. Period. And in LA, I'm sure it's the same. But that doesn't mean you can't come to certain realities. As much as we might deny it, we would all love it if Kobe were in silver and black. But we haven't needed him the way the Lakers all need one thing right now...They need Gasol to be Duncan. And that's not gonna happen. Ever.

Did anybody else see Vujacic's tantrum? What a girl! Could you ever imagine a Spur doing that? Reminded me of Nowitzki's crying in the Heat series. Punching things, yelling, but most of all, getting schooled when it mattered most. Allen's drive was so important and so crucial to the win that it almost made you forget how effortless it seemed. The last time I saw that was, well, this year. I'm sure we all recall Ginobili's play in Game 1 of the Suns series. He was pure clutch, ridiculously self-confident, and for some reason, making that shot never seemed impossible. The game tonight was not nearly as dramatic, but Allen's drive was fueled by the same fire as Ginobili's. (Oh, and Raja Bell, who was also schooled, didn't throw a fit, either.) Play of the game.

And any Jordan comparisons? Anybody? Didn't think so. As much as I hate to say it, Hollinger was right about one thing in his rankings. Even as ridiculous as some of the calls in the Mavs-Heat series, Wade's is still the only individual player performance that can come within a mile of Jordan-esque. Comparisons to Jordan can make sense in the regular season, but don't fool yourself. They don't matter. The post-season comparisons are the legacy-builders. Who doesn't think Kobe would rather have a fourth ring than an 81-point game under his belt?

So much for the "passing of the torch" crap. How many articles were written of the inevitability of LA's new dynast? Before they even won a Finals game! I know they're getting Bynum back, but seriously, who did they beat this year that was great? Or healthy? The first serious competitor, and they fold. And all Jackson does is cry about officiating every chance he gets. And not even from this year! From six years ago! I'm just glad it's over. I don't like saying "karma" too often, but it's almost worth LA getting so close again that they can take promo videos with the golden ball, only to get embarrassed two Finals appearances in a row. Jackson won't tie Auerbach's record. And LA won't beat our 4-in-9. All things considered, from a Spurs fan's perspective, that's not too bad.

Sorry for the long post. Just venting.

Ocotillo
06-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Eh, it looks like Kobe still is o-fer on rings since Snaq left........

csaenz
06-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Was that "Snaq" on purpose? If it was, that's a good nickname/fat joke. I was busy calling him "The Big Wacktus," but "The Big Snacktus" would also be good. Maybe we should start a new Shaq nickname thread. Nah, I'm sure there's one already on the forum...

Beast
06-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Some thoughts:

As a Spurs fan you're taught to hate the other team. Period. And in LA, I'm sure it's the same. But that doesn't mean you can't come to certain realities. As much as we might deny it, we would all love it if Kobe were in silver and black. But we haven't needed him the way the Lakers all need one thing right now...They need Gasol to be Duncan. And that's not gonna happen. Ever.

Did anybody else see Vujacic's tantrum? What a girl! Could you ever imagine a Spur doing that? Reminded me of Nowitzki's crying in the Heat series. Punching things, yelling, but most of all, getting schooled when it mattered most. Allen's drive was so important and so crucial to the win that it almost made you forget how effortless it seemed. The last time I saw that was, well, this year. I'm sure we all recall Ginobili's play in Game 1 of the Suns series. He was pure clutch, ridiculously self-confident, and for some reason, making that shot never seemed impossible. The game tonight was not nearly as dramatic, but Allen's drive was fueled by the same fire as Ginobili's. (Oh, and Raja Bell, who was also schooled, didn't throw a fit, either.) Play of the game.

And any Jordan comparisons? Anybody? Didn't think so. As much as I hate to say it, Hollinger was right about one thing in his rankings. Even as ridiculous as some of the calls in the Mavs-Heat series, Wade's is still the only individual player performance that can come within a mile of Jordan-esque. Comparisons to Jordan can make sense in the regular season, but don't fool yourself. They don't matter. The post-season comparisons are the legacy-builders. Who doesn't think Kobe would rather have a fourth ring than an 81-point game under his belt?

So much for the "passing of the torch" crap. How many articles were written of the inevitability of LA's new dynast? Before they even won a Finals game! I know they're getting Bynum back, but seriously, who did they beat this year that was great? Or healthy? The first serious competitor, and they fold. And all Jackson does is cry about officiating every chance he gets. And not even from this year! From six years ago! I'm just glad it's over. I don't like saying "karma" too often, but it's almost worth LA getting so close again that they can take promo videos with the golden ball, only to get embarrassed two Finals appearances in a row. Jackson won't tie Auerbach's record. And LA won't beat our 4-in-9. All things considered, from a Spurs fan's perspective, that's not too bad.

Sorry for the long post. Just venting.

love your post, EXCEPT NOOO many of us would NOT like kobe in silver in black, ever!! sorry! (did you see that weirdo freak douchebag after the game speaking? psycho!) other than that, i agree with your "vent!" good POV.
hilarious defense by sasha! we watched it over and over, laughing harder and harder each time and from every angle! and crying like a little girl! we like to call him VUJABITCH!!

genomefreak13
06-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Did anybody else see Vujacic's tantrum? What a girl! Could you ever imagine a Spur doing that?

My thoughts exactly...to add, his face turned pale when Allen drove pass him for the crucial easy lay-up. In the bench..he was stunned! I really had a laugh!

I think he deserves all the humiliation - after he took that three point shot in the spurs game.

Sweet justice!

LakerLanny
06-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Nothing we can say. We have to let the opposing fans take their shots now.

The series was right there for the taking and the Lakers coughed it up.

And with how tough the west is, there is no guarantees we will be back any time soon.

Just an atrocious come from ahead loss, maybe the most disappointing loss in Lakers history. I am drained, go ahead and kick us when we are down....you have earned it.

Pucho!!!
06-13-2008, 01:31 AM
I agree, I'd never want Kobe as a spur no matter how good he is. I dont like the cut of the man's jib. Even when they lose he some how focuses it on himself. Its sad and pathetic!

IronMexican
06-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Major choke job by us. may i dare say it? Doc out coached phil.:wow

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 02:50 AM
I wonder how effective Jordan would be against today's zone defenses. I'm not saying he wouldn't be as effective, I just wonder if he'd be over to take over games the way he did when he played.

all_heart
06-13-2008, 03:06 AM
I wonder how effective Jordan would be against today's zone defenses. I'm not saying he wouldn't be as effective, I just wonder if he'd be over to take over games the way he did when he played.

It's hard to say, I think the talent level is a little better than 15 yrs ago. He may have found other ways to take over games with todays zone defenses. But no doubt he fought through the Bad Boys of Detroit to earn his rings. I think that made him even tougher.

ShoogarBear
06-13-2008, 03:11 AM
Jordan would clean up with today's hand-checking limitations.

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 03:16 AM
It's hard to say, I think the talent level is a little better than 15 yrs ago. He may have found other ways to take over games with todays zone defenses. But no doubt he fought through the Bad Boys of Detroit to earn his rings. I think that made him even tougher.

Defenses today are far better than they were 15 years ago. The Bad Boy Pistons were not the norm, not by a longshot.

The thing I wonder about is how on earth can you be effective against a zone defense as a singular player? The way BOS is able to load up on Bryant and throw 4-5 defenders at him on a single play makes me think Jordan would struggle in a similar way trying to get to the hoop.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Lakers disappoint.

Obstructed_View
06-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Defenses today are far better than they were 15 years ago. The Bad Boy Pistons were not the norm, not by a longshot.

The thing I wonder about is how on earth can you be effective against a zone defense as a singular player? The way BOS is able to load up on Bryant and throw 4-5 defenders at him on a single play makes me think Jordan would struggle in a similar way trying to get to the hoop.
The Bad Boy Pistons were the end of a different era than Jordan's Bulls, which went up until the year before the Spurs won their first title. Fifteen years ago, there were some awfully good defensive teams, including the Spurs, Rockets, Knicks, Sonics, Jazz, etc. Jordan had success against all of them.

There's a difference between zone defense and throwing defenders at a single player because there's never been a rule against the latter, and hand checking was a much bigger difference, as Jordan would just foul everyone out that went after him today. Teams threw defenders at Jordan and he averaged as many as 8 assists per game during his career. Kobe's immensely talented, but people that think he's in the same universe as Jordan either didn't watch both players or can't see properly through purple and gold goggles.

Anyone with any doubts should find that Youtube video of a 45 year old Jordan hitting that turnaround fadeaway against current NBA players. Once he got the ball in that spot, the Bulls were going to score.

wildbill2u
06-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Oh, I don't know. Jordan was an expert at using the hand-check...WHEN HE WAS ON OFFENSE!

Let's remember game 7 of the finals with Utah where Jordan took the last the last shot to win the game, cementing the Jordan legend.

To accomplish that feat, he hand-ckecked Russell of Utal with his off (left) hand so hard that Russell actually stumbled backward off balance and Jordan had a clear and easy jump shot.

That was another instance of the refs failure:

1. not calling a foul in the last few minutes to affect the game winner
2. Giving the superstar of the century the license to do whatever he wanted on the court--and Jordan, being the savvy guy he was, took every advantage that the refs gave him.

IT'S SHOWBIZ, FOLKS.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Major choke job by us. may i dare say it? Doc out coached phil.:wowi know looking at your signature is very, very wrong.

Fabbs
06-13-2008, 10:23 AM
the sorta twins pic
Me likey very much. Thanks for posting.:toast
http://www.hotgrabz.com/images/te1yfph58qk83hgwjjrd.jpg

1Parker1
06-13-2008, 11:06 AM

:lol Seriously

And any Jordan comparisons? Anybody? Didn't think so. As much as I hate to say it, Hollinger was right about one thing in his rankings. Even as ridiculous as some of the calls in the Mavs-Heat series, Wade's is still the only individual player performance that can come within a mile of Jordan-esque.

No way. You think Wade would be able to do that against this Boston's defense? Wasn't that the same year, Kobe outscored the Mavs all by himself through 3 quarters? :lol

That DWade 06 performance is so overrated, due to the aide of refs and these horrible NBA hand checking rules that it's not even funny :pctoss

rAm
06-13-2008, 11:28 AM
i know looking at your signature is very, very wrong.

but for some reason I just can't look away! :wow

dbestpro
06-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Nothing we can say. We have to let the opposing fans take their shots now.

The series was right there for the taking and the Lakers coughed it up.

And with how tough the west is, there is no guarantees we will be back any time soon.

Just an atrocious come from ahead loss, maybe the most disappointing loss in Lakers history. I am drained, go ahead and kick us when we are down....you have earned it.

kick, kick , kick.