PDA

View Full Version : Question for Guitar Players

midgetonadonkey
06-13-2008, 01:03 AM
If I was looking to buy a beginning acoustic guitar, where should I look and about how much am I going to spend to be a douchebag guitar player?

marini martini
06-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Pawn shops! Near FSH!

Trainwreck2100
06-13-2008, 01:13 AM
pawn shops FTW and you dont need that much money to be a douchebag, just the drive.

nomanches
06-13-2008, 01:14 AM
Whatever you do, don't ever be tempted to get a Carlos Robelli or one of those First Act guitar/guitar starter kit.

I think a Fender acoustic would be a good beginners. Fender Guitar Pack (http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-950801-021-LIST)$200

Yamaha would be another one.

If you are looking more for a classical beginner guitar, then I would suggest a Yamaha or Ibanez.

midgetonadonkey
06-13-2008, 01:16 AM
I can't wait until I learn 5 chords and be a douchebag guitar player.

AlamoSpursFan
06-13-2008, 01:16 AM
I know plenty of douchebags who've never even touched guitars, so don't go overboard...

:lol

mrsmaalox
06-13-2008, 01:18 AM
For sure. A guitar does not a douche bag make.

midgetonadonkey
06-13-2008, 01:19 AM
But many a douchebag does play guitar.

balli
06-13-2008, 01:19 AM
My first guitar was a Takamine G Series acoustic electric. I got it for around $500 and I don't play it much anymore, but I think it's a great guitar.

If I were you I wouldn't buy a way shitty one. If you can afford it now a semi nice guitar will serve you down the road. It's an investment and if you plan on sticking with it, you'll like having a good one for your first.

balli
06-13-2008, 01:21 AM
NCkqyy_mX80

Closest I could get. You'll probably understand.

marini martini
06-13-2008, 01:22 AM
If I was looking to buy a beginning acoustic guitar, where should I look and about how much am I going to spend to be a douchebag guitar player?

About as much as you get for your organ:lmao

J.T.
06-13-2008, 01:24 AM

I would recommend hitting up pawn shops or craigslist/ebay for some deals, but for acoustic I recommend one made by Yamaha. The best sounding acoustics I have heard have all been Yahamas. You can probably find a decent used one for $100 or maybe even less, and as long as there are no cracks in the neck or significant nicks on the body stock you should be fine.

J.T.
06-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Midge if you want I can sell you my electric guitar for cheap. It's a white Fender Squier stratocaster which is like their beginner's electric guitar. I'm getting a Les Paul in about a week and I'll cut you a sweet deal on my old one if you want it. There's a few small nicks on the body but nothing major or distracting. I can take some pics if you want to see it.

Let me know brah. You'll also have to get an amp and a guitar cable but you can get practice amps cheap on craigslist.

balli
06-13-2008, 01:33 AM
I would recommend hitting up pawn shops or craigslist/ebay for some deals, but for acoustic I recommend one made by Yamaha. The best sounding acoustics I have heard have all been Yahamas. You can probably find a decent used one for $100 or maybe even less, and as long as there are no cracks in the neck or significant nicks on the body stock you should be fine.

I agree with that. A Yamaha is what I mostly play on now.

balli
06-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Midge if you want I can sell you my electric guitar for cheap. It's a white Fender Squier stratocaster which is like their beginner's electric guitar. I'm getting a Les Paul in about a week and I'll cut you a sweet deal on it if you want it. There's a few small nicks on the body but nothing major or distracting. I can take some pics if you want to see it.

You're getting the Jimmy Page sunburst you mentioned a few days back? Cool fucking guitar.

E20
06-13-2008, 01:38 AM
Don't do HSN speacials, that's what I did and I got a shitty guitar, all the chords sound exactly the same. A beginner guitarist should pay around 150-200 dollars, the guitar doesn't have to be great, but it should be decent.

J.T.
06-13-2008, 01:39 AM
You're getting the Jimmy Page sunburst you mentioned a few days back? Cool fucking guitar.

Yeah I can't wait to play around with the setup. I'll probably be investing in better pickups in a few months but the ones that it comes with aren't shabby at all. Now I just need a recording setup so I can put down the tracks that I've written.

nomanches
06-13-2008, 01:39 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/r763d5.jpg

I've always wanted the HD28. I think Page uses it regularly or used to use it regularly with Zep. Played it once and sounded great.

nomanches
06-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Yeah I can't wait to play around with the setup. I'll probably be investing in better pickups in a few months but the ones that it comes with aren't shabby at all. Now I just need a recording setup so I can put down the tracks that I've written.

/jealous. I've never played one but have always been curious to mess around with the push/pull knobs

Supreme_Being
06-13-2008, 02:20 AM

If you're just starting out, I suggest you go for a Yamaha. It's a nice all-rounder.

Supreme_Being
06-13-2008, 02:21 AM

What guitars do you own?

Brutalis
06-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Midge if you want I can sell you my electric guitar for cheap. It's a white Fender Squier stratocaster which is like their beginner's electric guitar. I'm getting a Les Paul in about a week and I'll cut you a sweet deal on my old one if you want it. There's a few small nicks on the body but nothing major or distracting. I can take some pics if you want to see it.

Let me know brah. You'll also have to get an amp and a guitar cable but you can get practice amps cheap on craigslist.

If he does not bite on this deal would you do it for me? However I am in Little Rock and would pay for shipping. PM me or let me know I don't post in club as often as I do other boards I might forget to check back!

I'm looking to learn as well. Maybe me and midget can start a n00b douche bag band. Call it, "Douche n Gag"

travis2
06-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Yamaha acoustics are nice sounding guitars, and reasonably priced. I've had an FG-312II 12-string for about 25 years. The FG series has been around for a long time.

Clandestino
06-13-2008, 06:33 AM
NCkqyy_mX80

Closest I could get. You'll probably understand.

:lmao fucking hilarious... but yeah, guitars players are more often than not douchbags... i think that is pretty much any musician....

cornbread
06-13-2008, 08:52 AM
By a used one at pawnshop and don't spend more than $100. You can test it out and see if sounds okay. That way if you get bored and stop playing, you haven't lost that much money. Take a friend that plays guitar with you. They can make sure the guitars not a total piece of shit.

Whatever you do, don't give up on the guitar playing and then replace it with Guitar Hero.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2008, 01:25 PM
I suppose it's ok to get a cheap ass one to see if you like playing, but I always tried to get the best one I could afford so I would be able to play it longer. It will sound better and you'll also get better hardware so it will stay in tune and is more likely to have better intonation in the first place. You can always sell it if you end up not playing it. Do your homework and find something with at least a solid wood top instead of laminate construction. That's a fair indicator of an overall decent quality guitar. Fender, Yamaha and Epiphone all have beginner packs with solid-top guitars for $199 new.

remingtonbo2001
06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
I've got six guitars, one being a Yamaha D-10. I might be willing to part with it.

I'll see you on Saturday.

JoeChalupa
06-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I want to get back to playing again too. I'd go with a Yamaha. I'm going to hit up the pawnshops but my dad has my old Yamaha acoustic that I'm going to get back from him. I was never that good and took about a year of guitar lessons and then just stopped. I could've been a rock star.

midgetonadonkey
06-13-2008, 04:29 PM
I've got six guitars, one being a Yamaha D-10. I might be willing to part with it.

I'll see you on Saturday.

Kick ass. Just give me a call before you stop by.

manufor3
06-13-2008, 04:31 PM
dosher music. go to their site at www.doshermusic.com

J.T.
06-13-2008, 10:03 PM
guitars players are more often than not douchbags... i think that is pretty much any musician....

I don't agree with this. Yes, there are those Juliard types that think they are on a mission from god to create the perfect melody or whatever, but music isn't music if you don't share it with people. If you don't like someone's song, write a better one, or don't listen to it.

remingtonbo2001
06-13-2008, 10:09 PM
dosher music. go to their site at www.doshermusic.com

Overpriced.

MannyIsGod
06-13-2008, 10:20 PM
http://i31.tinypic.com/r763d5.jpg

I've always wanted the HD28. I think Page uses it regularly or used to use it regularly with Zep. Played it once and sounded great.

Martins are the fucking best. I had a D15 for awhile that I really really liked and I probably should have gotten another one but I really do enjoy(ed) my Seagull.

MannyIsGod
06-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I really think you should spend as much as you can on a guitar when you buy your first one. Learning on a piece of shit with bad action can be a serious pain in the ass and will probably do more to discourage you than anything else. Besides you can really tell the difference in sound and in playability as you go up in price.

You don't need to go overboard and drop a couple of thousand on a new guitar, but I think you shoudln't just go out and buy a 100 dollar piece of shit either. If you can spend 400-500 then you should be able to get a really good guitar that will last you a good deal of time.

Also, if you don't like it they do have a fair amount of resale value. I could turn around and sell my Seagull for almost what I paid for since its still in great condition.

Something like this is what I would consider an ideal starter
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-DXM-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=514745

Those sound really really really good for the price and have really nice playability imo. They don't have some of the nicer touches higher end Martin's have but what you sacrafice for in looks you lose in LOTS of price and get a great sounding cheap guitar.

remingtonbo2001
06-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Martins are the fucking best. I had a D15 for awhile that I really really liked and I probably should have gotten another one but I really do enjoy(ed) my Seagull.

Martin provides a superior tone, unless you go custom made, which varies. Even then, you can't go wrong with a Martin sound.

Seagull will provide the best bang for your buck.

However, if you want an acoustic that plays like an electric, I would purchase a Taylor.

IMHO, Taylor's have the best action of any acoustic guitar.

Mr. Peabody
06-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Whatever you do, don't ever be tempted to get a Carlos Robelli or one of those First Act guitar/guitar starter kit.

:lol

You know what's funny is that I have some great acoustic guitars (I'm a bit of a collector) and the acoustic guitar I play the most is a Carlos Robelli that I got for free when I bought a PRS from Guitar Center. It plays out surprisingly well and I don't have to worry about my son knocking it over.

But I do agree that a cheap guitar can be discouraging to play.