PDA

View Full Version : New perspective

Supergirl
06-13-2008, 11:06 AM
So, after watching the C's DEMOLISH the Lakers - and let's not soft pedal it, kids, this is an utter demolishing of a team most ESPN sportswriters expected to win easily - I have a new perspective on what happened to the Spurs this year.

I still think the Spurs were a better team than the Lakers, and that Manu's injury is a big factor in why they couldn't advance past them. But the Celtics have endured a lot of bangups too - Pierce, Perkins, and Rondo are all now playing injured. The difference has been in the bench. The Spurs didn't have anyone on their bench who stepped up like House, Powe, and Posey have done this year in the playoffs. We could have survived Manu's injury if Finley, Barry, Horry, or Vaughn had stepped up in the same kind of way...

We don't need a complete overhaul. Our big 3 will still be dominant next year - provided they all stay healthy - but we need more scorers on our bench. I don't necessarily think it's about age, but we need some scorers and athleticism on our bench. Our PF/C position will be fine with Duncan/Thomas/Oberto/Mahinmi next year. Udoka will be even better next year, as most second years Spurs players are, and that will help a lot. But we need 1 or 2 more people.

Our most important decision of the off season, IMO, is whether Finley has anything left in the tank, or whether we dump him and get someone else who can take his minutes.

Fabbs
06-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Barry did not step up?
Maybe if Barry, Vaughn, Thomas etc were not chained to the bench by Popazit in the other games they would have stepped up.
Like Barry and Thomas did the few games they got sig minutes and like Vaughn did last year.

The Manu inury excuse is pure Popapologist bullshit. Phil owned him and two of those games were choked away by coaching.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Udoka was one of the few players who really surprised me because most don't play to well their first year and he played well, which only means he should be better next season. Finley is done. We need another scorer and he is not the answer. Oh and you were right about the bench.

rascal
06-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Your right the spurs need more scoring from the bench.

Your not right about the spurs were better than the Lakers. The Lakers were top seed in the west. The spurs did not play well against the better teams in the league during the regular season so how can you still think they were the better team?

Fabbs
06-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Your right the spurs need more scoring from the bench.

Your not right about the spurs were better than the Lakers. The Lakers were top seed in the west. The spurs did not play well against the better teams in the league during the regular season so how can you still think they were the better team?
20 pt 3rd qtr and 17 pt halftime leads. Comeback every bit as much about Spurs coaching chokage then any great Laker comeback. Props to the Lakers for coming back, but they don't win it without tons of Spurs help.

Medvedenko
06-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Guys:
Celtics

Garnett
Pierce
Allen

That's the difference. Role players are role players for a reason. The reason the C's have a 3-1 edge is because of their big three. Save for 1 game when 2/3 played poorely, they have been on point. They have 3 go to battle tested guys that have played in big series prior. This isn't lost on me and I'm a laker fan. I'm happy that the boys made it this far and still can make some noise.

Supergirl
06-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Guys:
Celtics

Garnett
Pierce
Allen

That's the difference. Role players are role players for a reason. The reason the C's have a 3-1 edge is because of their big three. Save for 1 game when 2/3 played poorely, they have been on point. They have 3 go to battle tested guys that have played in big series prior. This isn't lost on me and I'm a laker fan. I'm happy that the boys made it this far and still can make some noise.

Actually, I think it's been the fourth guy - Rondo - who has been the underrated hero - for a 2nd year PG to come in an steady the ship like he has all season and into the biggest stage of all - that's fantastic. Haven't seen a PG that good and smart since Tony Parker's rookie season. But he and Pierce have both been hobbled, KG has been only decent, not superb, and yetthe C's still lead 3-1 - because of House, Posey, and Powe.

But Pierce

Medvedenko
06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Allen has been the x factor. He showed up and has played like an all-star all series long.

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Actually, I think it's been the fourth guy - Rondo - who has been the underrated hero - for a 2nd year PG to come in an steady the ship like he has all season and into the biggest stage of all - that's fantastic. Haven't seen a PG that good and smart since Tony Parker's rookie season. But he and Pierce have both been hobbled, KG has been only decent, not superb, and yetthe C's still lead 3-1 - because of House, Posey, and Powe.

But Pierce

Actually Rondo is the reason why the Lakers were able to win Game 3 and build a 24 pt lead against them in Game 4. His inability to space the floor with shooting killed the Celitcs. The moment they took him and slow Perkins off the floor was the moment they won the game. They beat the Lakers with their small ball lineup.

I find it funny how nobody is really mentioning this. The tide turned the moment the Celtics loaded the floor with shooters, it threw the Laker defense out of whack and the Laker bigs couldn't capitalize on their smaller defenders. If the Lakers can figure out how to defeat their small lineup this series might go farther than we expected. IMHO the Lakers have figured out how to score against and defend the Celtics traditional lineup.

Mr. Body
06-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever give up a willing, potentially productive player of any position who could do well off your bench, when in a late period dynasty it's difficult to find talent.

Mr. Body
06-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Actually Rondo is the reason why the Lakers were able to win Game 3 and build a 24 pt lead against them in Game 4. His inability to space the floor with shooting killed the Celitcs. The moment they took him and slow Perkins off the floor was the moment they won the game. They beat the Lakers with their small ball lineup.

I find it funny how nobody is really mentioning this. The tide turned the moment the Celtics loaded the floor with shooters, it threw the Laker defense out of whack and the Laker bigs couldn't capitalize on their smaller defenders. If the Lakers can figure out how to defeat their small lineup this series might go farther than we expected. IMHO the Lakers have figured out how to score against and defend the Celtics traditional lineup.

There might have to be Lakers defense in order for it be thrown out of whack.

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 12:27 PM
There might have to be Lakers defense in order for it be thrown out of whack.

:lmao

Can't argue with that.

TwoHandJam
06-13-2008, 03:00 PM
20 pt 3rd qtr and 17 pt halftime leads. Comeback every bit as much about Spurs coaching chokage then any great Laker comeback. Props to the Lakers for coming back, but they don't win it without tons of Spurs help.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Spurs win that series with a healthy Manu. You can't replace 20/5/5 with virtually nothing and hope to win ball games. Let's not forget that he was our leading scorer during the regular season and we lost that series primarily because of our offense (or lack thereof).

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Manu does not average 20/5/5

gospursgojas
06-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Udoka was one of the few players who really surprised me because most don't play to well their first year and he played well, which only means he should be better next season. Finley is done. We need another scorer and he is not the answer. Oh and you were right about the bench.

Udoka played well in 1 maybe 2 games. He stunk it up against the Suns. Had maybe 2 good games against the Hornets and was not to be found in the Laker series.

td4mvp21
06-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Manu does not average 20/5/5

He did in the regular season. Unfortunately he battled injuries most of the postseason, but he averaged 18/4/4.

I agree that role players have been the difference. I disagree that the Spurs were the better team. If we were the better team, our role players would have stepped up in Manu's place and they didn't consistently. The Lakers role players really outplayed ours. Our whole team can't be the Big Three like it was this entire season.

SA Pride
06-13-2008, 08:18 PM
If you think about it, the Celtics were built to beat a team like the Lakers. Back when the Celtics were facing the Cavs and Pistons, I've noticed that they struggle against teams that play hard, slow-down defenses. The Celtics are a team that has an excellent defense with about a average-good offense. The Lakers have an excellent offense but an inconsistent defense. Since the C's have a great defense they can slow and lock down the Laker's offense. Then on the other end of the court, they won't have to struggle as much because the Laker's D is so inconsistant.

On the subject though, I would say that the Lakers are still the better team because their role players stepped up more than ours. I know Manu was hurt but if the role players had produced more then they could have beaten the Lakers w/o him. Simple as that.

SenorSpur
06-13-2008, 09:04 PM
So, after watching the C's DEMOLISH the Lakers - and let's not soft pedal it, kids, this is an utter demolishing of a team most ESPN sportswriters expected to win easily - I have a new perspective on what happened to the Spurs this year.

I still think the Spurs were a better team than the Lakers, and that Manu's injury is a big factor in why they couldn't advance past them. But the Celtics have endured a lot of bangups too - Pierce, Perkins, and Rondo are all now playing injured. The difference has been in the bench. The Spurs didn't have anyone on their bench who stepped up like House, Powe, and Posey have done this year in the playoffs. We could have survived Manu's injury if Finley, Barry, Horry, or Vaughn had stepped up in the same kind of way...

We don't need a complete overhaul. Our big 3 will still be dominant next year - provided they all stay healthy - but we need more scorers on our bench. I don't necessarily think it's about age, but we need some scorers and athleticism on our bench. Our PF/C position will be fine with Duncan/Thomas/Oberto/Mahinmi next year. Udoka will be even better next year, as most second years Spurs players are, and that will help a lot. But we need 1 or 2 more people.

Our most important decision of the off season, IMO, is whether Finley has anything left in the tank, or whether we dump him and get someone else who can take his minutes.

Agree for the most part. I expect no less than 4 new players on this team heading into next season. That includes Ian, a new rookie swingman, and whatever 2 new FA acquisitions can be acquired.

As for the Finley situation, to me it's pretty clear that the doesn't have much in the tank. However, I don't feel as though the Spurs need to invest another season in him to find out. It's time to turn the page. Sentiment shouldn't stand in the way of improving the team. In order to upgrade the talent, guys like Finley and Horry cannot be brought back again for another year. They've have been good pros and solid contributors. However the time has come to move in a different direction.

The Spurs will continue to contend because of the Big Three. It's the supporting cast around them that needs to be upgraded. As we've watched the Celtics this year and our Spurs in '07, we're reminded how important regular contributions from bench players is to team success and a deep run in the playoffs.

Guajalote
06-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Agree for the most part. I expect no less than 4 new players on this team heading into next season. That includes Ian, a new rookie swingman, and whatever 2 new FA acquisitions can be acquired.

As for the Finley situation, to me it's pretty clear that the doesn't have much in the tank. However, I don't feel as though the Spurs need to invest another season in him to find out. It's time to turn the page. Sentiment shouldn't stand in the way of improving the team. In order to upgrade the talent, guys like Finley and Horry cannot be brought back again for another year. They've have been good pros and solid contributors. However the time has come to move in a different direction.

The Spurs will continue to contend because of the Big Three. It's the supporting cast around them that needs to be upgraded. As we've watched the Celtics this year and our Spurs in '07, we're reminded how important regular contributions from bench players is to team success and a deep run in the playoffs.

This year really feels a lot like the year leading up to DRob's last year in 2003. I completely agree with SeņorSpur's take. It's just that, dang it, I'm having a hard time letting go of the good old days. Findog will forever be my man for all the clutch threes that he's hit while a Spur (Denver series, anyone?). And Horry, if nothing else, the look of sheer horror on 18,000+ people's faces in Detroit when Horry got left alone on that final play will for eternity be etched into my mind.

But it's time to add some race horses. Kids with young legs that can learn from the best, and can spell them while doing so. After all, when it comes down to it, this is a business decision. Thanks for the memories, and by the way, don't kill us if you're ever on a playoff team in contention in the final 5 seconds. :lol