PDA

View Full Version : From Depressed L.A.

gasolina
06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Well, I guess all the hype and all the charades after my Lakers dethroned your Spurs are now ashes from the greatest choke job the world has ever seen. We are now the laughing stock of hoop loving nations around the world.

As one poster here pointed out - there truly must be a San Antonio curse !!!
(the team since 2004 that eliminates the Spurs goes on to the NBA Finals only to painfully lose it)

Watching this Finals made me ponder. Perhaps my Lakers aren't as invincible as they believe themselves to be. Well, recent acquisitions like Gasol or Ariza aren't truly megastar deals. Wile Gasol is good, he is no Duncan or Garnett. And while Bynum maybe young (and surgically repaired), he is no Dwight Howard or Jermaine O'neal. Frankly, even with a healthy Bynum, we would still lose to the better Celtics squad.

At least Game 4 is a foregone conclusion. With friends of mine and Kobe (somewhere in LA county), we drank....

.....maybe 15 or 20 shots. Digested it. Avoided ESPN.FSN West. CNN. 570 KLAC.

And now, we actually expect the Celtics to finish us off on Father's day.
And with that, I don't know if we'll be back to represent the West next year. :depressed:depressed:depressed

DDS4
06-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I think it's safe to say the Lakers are still in a better position than the Spurs right now.

It would have been interesting if the Spurs played the Celts instead, I do think the Spurs match up better with the Celts.

thispego
06-13-2008, 12:51 PM
yup, cheaters never prosper

mexicanjunior
06-13-2008, 12:52 PM
We saved you a spot on the boat... :fishing

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, I guess all the hype and all the charades after my Lakers dethroned your Spurs are now ashes from the greatest choke job the world has ever seen. We are now the laughing stock of hoop loving nations around the world.

(the team since 2004 that eliminates the Spurs goes on to the NBA Finals only to painfully lose it)

Watching this Finals made me ponder. Perhaps my Lakers aren't as invincible as they believe themselves to be. Well, recent acquisitions like Gasol or Ariza aren't truly megastar deals. Wile Gasol is good, he is no Duncan or Garnett. And while Bynum maybe young (and surgically repaired), he is no Dwight Howard or Jermaine O'neal. Frankly, even with a healthy Bynum, we would still lose to the better Celtics squad.

At least Game 4 is a foregone conclusion. With friends of mine and Kobe (somewhere in LA county), we drank....

And with that, I don't know if we'll be back to represent the West next year. :depressed:depressed:depressed

I don't expect any more from a bandwagon fan. Trust me, the Laker Nation can do with a few less of your kind.

The Lakers are in prime shape to go make a serious push for titles starting next season when Bynum returns. This year was all a bonus as far as I can see, we wildly over achieved if anything. You don't win titles without defense, you don't win without experience, if we can shore up in those two areas in the off-season we will be fine next year.

thispego
06-13-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't expect any more from a bandwagon fan. Trust me, the Laker Nation can do with a few less of your kind.

The Lakers are in prime shape to go make a serious push for titles starting next season when Bynum returns. This year was all a bonus as far as I can see, we wildly over achieved if anything. You don't win titles without defense, you don't win without experience, if we can shore up in those two areas in the off-season we will be fine next year.

once you traded away all you can eat nacho vouchers to memphis for Gasol this season became all about winning a championship for your team. lakers might have been able to get it done with a core of bynum, odom and kobe but I guess we'll never know. cheaters

xtremesteven33
06-13-2008, 01:14 PM

yea thats what the Mavericks thought after they lost in 2006. a team that overachieved, and got to the finals to lose in embarassing fashion.

they could never quite get over that to this day.

just face it bro, to be a championship team you have to have players and a system that is designed for victory.

the lakers dont have that, to many young players. and the players that have been playing for years (gasol,odom) are just mentally weak.

gasolina
06-13-2008, 01:31 PM

I admire that you are still an optimist at this point. Most of us had already done reality checks. The Celtics are simply better. Read the writing on the wall.

If we are a team banking on Bynum's return to get over the hump, get real buddy. Bynum in pre-injury form circa 2007 was good but not great like DHoward. Even if he played this series, do you honestly think he would've posted 20/10 numbers? In all honesty, I don't rate Bynum high on my list. Especially now that he just came from surgery. I know I may hurt a lot of Laker purists out there but seriously -- We got the breaks when we got by the Spurs. A younger team, fresher legs and well-rested against a team that just disposed of two high-caliber Western squads in Phoenix (with Shaq,Amare,Nash and a deep deep bench) and NOLA (DWest,CP3,Peja). In the end, we faced a tired and injured Spurs squad and while they may have lost -- we were down 20 in Game 1 , blown out in game 3 , close game that would've gone either way in game 4 (especially if Barry was allowed FTs) and we were down 18 in game 5 before the Spurs ran out of gas once again. That my friend is 3 games the Spurs could've won despite Parker playing with a strained knee or calf and Ginobili playing with one hand and one leg!!! While we won it 4-1, it could've easily been 4-1 in their favor as well. Now, the Spurs are poised to reload for next year. Perhaps get younger. NOLA is more experienced and Phoenix will also improve with Shaq getting more accustomed to the Suns schemes. Then you have Utah,Portland and Houston.

The West is loaded. No guarantees indeed. So now ask yourself - is Bynum the missing piece IYHO? :nope

I don't think so.

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I admire that you are still an optimist at this point. Most of us had already done reality checks. The Celtics are simply better. Read the writing on the wall.

If we are a team banking on Bynum's return to get over the hump, get real buddy. Bynum in pre-injury form circa 2007 was good but not great like DHoward. Even if he played this series, do you honestly think he would've posted 20/10 numbers? In all honesty, I don't rate Bynum high on my list. Especially now that he just came from surgery. I know I may hurt a lot of Laker purists out there but seriously -- We got the breaks when we got by the Spurs. A younger team, fresher legs and well-rested against a team that just disposed of two high-caliber Western squads in Phoenix (with Shaq,Amare,Nash and a deep deep bench) and NOLA (DWest,CP3,Peja). In the end, we faced a tired and injured Spurs squad and while they may have lost -- we were down 20 in Game 1 , blown out in game 3 , close game that would've gone either way in game 4 (especially if Barry was allowed FTs) and we were down 18 in game 5 before the Spurs ran out of gas once again. That my friend is 3 games the Spurs could've won despite Parker playing with a strained knee or calf and Ginobili playing with one hand and one leg!!! While we won it 4-1, it could've easily been 4-1 in their favor as well. Now, the Spurs are poised to reload for next year. Perhaps get younger. NOLA is more experienced and Phoenix will also improve with Shaq getting more accustomed to the Suns schemes. Then you have Utah,Portland and Houston.

The West is loaded. No guarantees indeed. So now ask yourself - is Bynum the missing piece IYHO? :nope

I don't think so.

I don't agree at all with anything you said really. I think the Laker's offense is good enough to win championships as is. They don't need to do much tweaking on that end of the floor.

The defense is what is sorely lacking, and I fail to see how adding a player like Bynum won't significantly improve the Laker's defense. None of the 3-peat Laker teams were elite defensive ball clubs like BOS is, but they could ALWAYS get timely stops when they needed to. This team can't, and it's largely due to Gasol being such a weak interior defender and protector around the rim. We have to concede the jumpshot because we can't aggressively play the perimeter and funnel guys towards Pau. We saw what happened when Ray Allen blew right by Sasha, no resistance whatsoever.

Bynum provides significantly better shot blocking, rebounding, and is a far more intimidating force around the basket than Gasol ever could be. He's also a guy we can throw the ball to offensively that can finish under the rim even with some slight contact. You touch Gasol or Odom and they tend to miss layups and dunks, you really have to foul Bynum to make him miss.

That being said, what teams in the league are adding this kind of talent to their squad next year? The reality is nobody who is in a position to win championships is going to get the kind of upgrade that LAL is getting in the off season. If Mitch can attract some defensive minded vets in the off-season we can make the little tweaks necessary to put LAL in a position to win for the next couple of years.

gasolina
06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't agree at all with anything you said really. I think the Laker's offense is good enough to win championships as is. They don't need to do much tweaking on that end of the floor.

The defense is what is sorely lacking, and I fail to see how adding a player like Bynum won't significantly improve the Laker's defense. None of the 3-peat Laker teams were elite defensive ball clubs like BOS is, but they could ALWAYS get timely stops when they needed to. This team can't, and it's largely due to Gasol being such a weak interior defender and protector around the rim. We have to concede the jumpshot because we can't aggressively play the perimeter and funnel guys towards Pau. We saw what happened when Ray Allen blew right by Sasha, no resistance whatsoever.

Bynum provides significantly better shot blocking, rebounding, and is a far more intimidating force around the basket than Gasol ever could be. He's also a guy we can throw the ball to offensively that can finish under the rim even with some slight contact. You touch Gasol or Odom and they tend to miss layups and dunks, you really have to foul Bynum to make him miss.

That being said, what teams in the league are adding this kind of talent to their squad next year? The reality is nobody who is in a position to win championships is going to get the kind of upgrade that LAL is getting in the off season. If Mitch can attract some defensive minded vets in the off-season we can make the little tweaks necessary to put LAL in a position to win for the next couple of years.

Are you kidding me? The Suns alone have a better frontline than our team Bynum included. SHAQ and Amare plus Diaw is more scary that Bynum,Gasol and Odom. How about the NOLA frontline of Chandler,West and Stojakovic? While I wish to avoid those two teams next year, for the sake of this debate, maybe we should hope to face them both so you can prove me wrong.

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Are you kidding me? The Suns alone have a better frontline than our team Bynum included. SHAQ and Amare plus Diaw is more scary that Bynum,Gasol and Odom. How about the NOLA frontline of Chandler,West and Stojakovic? While I wish to avoid those two teams next year, for the sake of this debate, maybe we should hope to face them both so you can prove me wrong.

The Suns..........:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Look dude, you're clearly not a Laker fan and if you are you're one of the dumbest ones I've ever seen. Do yourself a favor and stop embarrassing yourself.

romad_20
06-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Look dude, you're clearly not a Laker fan and if you are you're one of the dumbest ones I've ever seen. Do yourself a favor and stop embarrassing yourself.

Actually, he might be one of the smartest and level headed I've seen. :lol The Mavs thought the same shit two years ago. Who's going to stop Howard, Diop, Stack, Terry and Dirk? The Lakers did get breaks against the Spurs this year but the Lakers were still better than us in that series and deserved to win but to think that this Laker team is just ramping up is gettin a little ahead of yourself. What's going to happen when you face a Hornets team in the first round next year or the Spurs in the first round? Playing Denver is like getting the first round off, the Spurs fans known this.

The Lakers suck at defense, unless that gets better over the summer, you're not going to win a championship.

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Actually, he might be one of the smartest and level headed I've seen. :lol The Mavs thought the same shit two years ago. Who's going to stop Howard, Diop, Stack, Terry and Dirk? The Lakers did get breaks against the Spurs this year but the Lakers were still better than us in that series and deserved to win but to think that this Laker team is just ramping up is gettin a little ahead of yourself. What's going to happen when you face a Hornets team in the first round next year or the Spurs in the first round? Playing Denver is like getting the first round off, the Spurs fans known this.

The Lakers suck at defense, unless that gets better over the summer, you're not going to win a championship.

If this team stayed exactly the same coming into next year I would 100% agree with you. I would not feel confident at all about our chances next year and beyond.

Until someone can prove otherwise I fail to see how adding Bynum will make the Lakers a worse defensive or even offensive team.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-13-2008, 04:26 PM

No such a thing as choke job.. the Lakers are not in that level but the hype of the media and the league made it possible to believe. It would be a choke job if they were actually really really good. They went through a devastated Spurs team fighting all kinds of things. They shouldn't have passed them if the playing field was even.

I'm not surprised with what is going on so far - although I don't think this is over yet. I don't even believe it will end on Sunday unless the lakers want it to be over by then and head to the beach earlier.

So suck it up, live and learn.

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 04:44 PM
No such a thing as choke job.. the Lakers are not in that level but the hype of the media and the league made it possible to believe. It would be a choke job if they were actually really really good. They went through a devastated Spurs team fighting all kinds of things. They shouldn't have passed them if the playing field was even.

I'm not surprised with what is going on so far - although I don't think this is over yet. I don't even believe it will end on Sunday unless the lakers want it to be over by then and head to the beach earlier.

So suck it up, live and learn.

A lot of Laker fans got caught up in the hype once the Lakers started rolling through the playoffs, it was easy to ignore the red flags that were popping up during the regular season. BOS is the 1st team the Lakers have faced that has a defense capable of slowing them down and an offense capable of exploiting their weakness. It's no small coincidence they've beaten LA 4-5 times this year.

The defense hasn't been there ever since Bynum went down. The Lakers have done a remarkable job of covering that up so far and a lot of that is due to Phil Jackson being an excellent coach. But BOS just has too much firepower for the Zen Master to overcome. I can't remember a time where a team won the Finals with a defensive anchor as poor as Gasol is.

We shall see next season whether the Lakers are championship worthy or not. I believe Bynum is the missing piece of the puzzle, Spurs fans clearly don't, time will tell.

jmard5
06-13-2008, 06:38 PM
I sure hope you are not the same people that foretold that the Lakers can win a championship with Malone and Payton.

gasolina
06-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Really? What's embarrasing is being knocked out in the first round to the Suns you laugh the past couple of years coz they have our number. Sure we got Gasol but then they have Shaq. Are you even using your brain when you post? Not all Laker fans are as biased and ignorant as you. And now that we are down to the Celts, are we any different than the teams that went out in the first round?

As far as I know, if we don't win three more games before Boston takes one more, :lobt: will not go to SoCal. There can only be one. And i'm as angry and frustrated as you are that we are on the losing end here but at least i'm man enough to admit our faults and shortcomings to get over the hump.

Clearly, this current team still needs improvements. And Bynum's reactivation is not the lone solution.

gasolina
06-13-2008, 10:06 PM
A lot of Laker fans got caught up in the hype once the Lakers started rolling through the playoffs, it was easy to ignore the red flags that were popping up during the regular season. BOS is the 1st team the Lakers have faced that has a defense capable of slowing them down and an offense capable of exploiting their weakness. It's no small coincidence they've beaten LA 4-5 times this year.

The defense hasn't been there ever since Bynum went down. The Lakers have done a remarkable job of covering that up so far and a lot of that is due to Phil Jackson being an excellent coach. But BOS just has too much firepower for the Zen Master to overcome. I can't remember a time where a team won the Finals with a defensive anchor as poor as Gasol is.

We shall see next season whether the Lakers are championship worthy or not. I believe Bynum is the missing piece of the puzzle, Spurs fans clearly don't, time will tell.

If you pin your hopes on Bynum alone, were doomed !!! IMHO, Bynum is Olowakandi reincarnated. Sure he was having a career year before dislocating his kneecap (13 ppg/10 rpg/1.5 bpg) but so did Olowakandi!!! If Bynum has the talent level of a Rik Smits in his prime or Dikembe Mutombo in his prime then maybe he is the missing piece you claim. But in his first 2 years, I could not foresee greatness in this kid. He is no more than a good role player a 15/11 guy for a couple of years maybe before blowing out another knee or tearing another ligament.

The more pressing issue our lakers need to address is consistent play from both the starters and the bench. For instance, Lamar Odom sucked in game 3 (besides games 1 and 2) and then did well in the first half of game 4. Then like Houdini, was nowhere to be found in the second half. Even during the regular season, he would have games of 22 pts and 11 rebs then follow it up with an 8 pt 6 reb game. I mean WTF?!?!? Same with Gasol this play-offs. One night he scores 20, 8 the next. Gasol and Odom are good players. If only they were much more consistent, they would make the ASG every other year as reserves. Essentially, the Finals is a match-up of one megastar vs. 3 superstars - three players that make the ASG every freakin year. So I can't really understand your belittling of the Suns when they are more loaded player-wise than we are Gasol and Bynum included.

SHAQ,Amare and Diaw > Gasol,Bynum and Odom any day of the week:rolleyes
Its pretty obvious unless you are perpetually dazed and confused:rolleyes

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 10:16 PM
If you pin your hopes on Bynum alone, were doomed !!! IMHO, Bynum is Olowakandi reincarnated. Sure he was having a career year before dislocating his kneecap (13 ppg/10 rpg/1.5 bpg) but so did Olowakandi!!! If Bynum has the talent level of a Rik Smits in his prime or Dikembe Mutombo in his prime then maybe he is the missing piece you claim. But in his first 2 years, I could not foresee greatness in this kid. He is no more than a good role player a 15/11 guy for a couple of years maybe before blowing out another knee or tearing another ligament.

The more pressing issue our lakers need to address is consistent play from both the starters and the bench. For instance, Lamar Odom sucked in game 3 (besides games 1 and 2) and then did well in the first half of game 4. Then like Houdini, was nowhere to be found in the second half. Even during the regular season, he would have games of 22 pts and 11 rebs then follow it up with an 8 pt 6 reb game. I mean WTF?!?!? Same with Gasol this play-offs. One night he scores 20, 8 the next. Gasol and Odom are good players. If only they were much more consistent, they would make the ASG every other year as reserves. Essentially, the Finals is a match-up of one megastar vs. 3 superstars - three players that make the ASG every freakin year. So I can't really understand your belittling of the Suns when they are more loaded player-wise than we are Gasol and Bynum included.

SHAQ,Amare and Diaw > Gasol,Bynum and Odom any day of the week:rolleyes
Its pretty obvious unless you are perpetually dazed and confused:rolleyes

I can't seriously argue with a guy that thinks 36 year old over-the-hill Shaq, soft ass Frenchie Diaw, and Amare I don't play defense Stoudemire is a better frontline than what the Lakers will have next season.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-13-2008, 10:18 PM

I don't believe adding Bynum will get the job done by itself. LA has to get another veteran on the 30s, a great player to be the other go to guy with Kobe. Gasol has always sucked in prime-time. Odom isn't your guy and the closest thing you still have is Fisher. The rest of the team is young players.

But in order to get that missing piece I'm talking about they need to trade Gasol... yes.. Gasol. LA will get Bynum back and play Gasol's current position. They need to keep Radmanovich, get rid of Lucky Luke and pack it up with Gasol for a great semi-vet, already established guy who hasn't won anything yet.

Wait for Kobe to start whining about it during postseason.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-13-2008, 10:21 PM
And let me add.. I don't think LA was expecting to get to the finals this season but maybe the next - they were working towards that goal.. now they are almost there. They can win now, not in the future so if they trade well they can just be a machine again but I doubt only getting Bynum back will put them over the top when it matters.

gasolina
06-13-2008, 10:26 PM
And let me add.. I don't think LA was expecting to get to the finals this season but maybe the next - they were working towards that goal.. now they are almost there. They can win now, not in the future so if they trade well they can just be a machine again but I doubt only getting Bynum back will put them over the top when it matters.

Place an asterisk on Bynum just yet. We have yet to assess his effectiveness after the injury.

m33p0
06-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Frankly, even with a healthy Bynum, we would still lose to the better Celtics squad.
That i don't know.

m33p0
06-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Mavs fans sends you their thanks.

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Keep Gasol. Trade Odom for Ron Artest and Mikki Moore.

The starting 5 next season is:

PG: Fish
SG: Kobe
SF: Ron Ron
PF: Gasol
C: Bynum

Pickup some good FA vets in the offseason the way we did in '00 when we brought in Phil Jackson and the Lakers are set.

gasolina
06-13-2008, 10:49 PM

Pickup some good FA vets in the offseason the way we did in '00 when we brought in Phil Jackson and the Lakers are set.

Good God!!! Maybe its Gasol that needs to be traded. At least Odom plays much better D than Pau.

I admit to getting all hyped when Pau Gasol was taken in for "free". But watching him play against the likes of Boozer and especially Duncan -- he was owned!!! compare their stats so you'll see my point. And now, KG, who is not even playing at the level we know he can, is abusing the skinny Spaniard. He is just too soft to be a reliable 4 or 5.

DazedAndConfused
06-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Good God!!! Maybe its Gasol that needs to be traded. At least Odom plays much better D than Pau.

I admit to getting all hyped when Pau Gasol was taken in for "free". But watching him play against the likes of Boozer and especially Duncan -- he was owned!!! compare their stats so you'll see my point. And now, KG, who is not even playing at the level we know he can, is abusing the skinny Spaniard. He is just too soft to be a reliable 4 or 5.

He's held Boozer, Duncan, and KG to well below their shooting averages. His man defense has been more than acceptable in the post season. Try again. He is not a great shot blocker or rebounder, but those problems will be addressed when Bynum returns.

The only thing he needs to work on in the offseason is his midrange shot. He needs to be able to hit that at a high clip to play PF in the triangle.

Spur-Addict
06-15-2008, 06:31 AM
He's held Boozer, Duncan, and KG to well below their shooting averages. His man defense has been more than acceptable in the post season. Try again. He is not a great shot blocker or rebounder, but those problems will be addressed when Bynum returns.

The only thing he needs to work on in the offseason is his midrange shot. He needs to be able to hit that at a high clip to play PF in the triangle.

The only thing holding Tim is double and triple teams.

Ghazi
06-15-2008, 09:03 AM

Why the hell would the Kings do that?

SpurOutofTownFan
06-16-2008, 08:50 AM

You are dreaming or not very clear in your knowledge. Please tell me how are you going to make that trade of Odom (yes... Odom!!!) head to head for Artest and Moore???? LOL That's a no brainer it will never happen.

SEcondly, you said Gasol held Duncan in check??? LOL Duncan had the easiest series with Gasol on him and almost posted triple doubles.

LA needs to trade Gasol straight up for another bona fide player to be the other "real" go to guy with Kobe.

z0sa
06-16-2008, 09:55 AM
He's held Boozer, Duncan, and KG to well below their shooting averages.

Mhm, Pau singlehandedly has contained all those players, especially Tim. No double and triple teaming every possession there ...

Seriously, do you read your own posts for laughs or what?

His man defense has been more than acceptable in the post season. Try again. He is not a great shot blocker or rebounder, but those problems will be addressed when Bynum returns.

He didn't play man on man against Tim, more like man/man/man on Tim, you ignore your own team's defensive strategy which I find humorous. Pau's man defense has been acceptable against KG and Boozer. However, I will say every time KG has grown balls and attacked Pau this series, hes put him in the basket.

:lmao