PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons: Game 4 Blog Highlights

J.T.
06-14-2008, 04:27 AM
Full blog here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080613

By the way, could someone tell the Lakers' bandwagon fans that Kobe already won the MVP, so they don't have to keep chanting for him? Yeah, they voted for it and everything. He won.

Let's just hand the NBA over to Vince McMahon and get it over with.

Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd. Meanwhile, the Celts are having such a hard time running their offense, it's like watching Vlad Radmanovic and Sasha Vujacic trying to get through airport security during a holiday weekend.

Van Gundy casually reveals that Odom (15 points, seven-for-seven shooting) has been nicknamed "L.O." by his teammates. I love that "Lamar" wasn't a unique enough name for them. That kills me for some reason.

In other news, my daughter just walked into my office completely naked and screamed "Daddy!" Yup, it's a new phase for her -- the "I love being naked!" stage. Pencil her in for "Real World 2023 in Las Vegas." Just do it now. Also, kill me.

Unfortunately, the game is now being delayed because Mark Jackson is reading his résumé on-air in a last-ditch attempt to get an NBA coaching job.

I'd have more for you, but I have to text in my vote for Sam Cassell for the "T-Mobile Finals Player of the Game."

Also, it's worth mentioning the Lakers have basically decided to leave Rondo alone like he's a 10-year-old kid playing in a pickup game of 12-year-olds.

Basketball has to be the only thing in life in which you can decide to "go small" and it's actually a good thing.

Boston has suddenly turned it up about 1,000 notches defensively -- guys are flying all over the place and doubling everybody, even the Laker Girls.

If there's a fatal flaw for this Lakers team, it's that too many of their real fans either got priced out by the Celtics-Lakers Finals or couldn't resist selling their tickets for big money. Game 3 was Pseudo Central, and Game 4 looks like the same thing. That's the price of playing in L.A.

(You know what else has helped? Kobe is 2-for-13 right now. And while we're here, let's just say MJ's teams never blew a 24-point lead at home in the Finals. I'm throwing it out there now.)

After a Lakers basket, Allen whittled the next 20 seconds off the clock before completely abusing Vujacic for a back-breaking layup. (Special thanks to Gasol for not helping in time -- I'm starting to think Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton and two draft picks was a fair trade.)

Just when I thought this couldn't get any better, they just cut to a replay of Vujacic punching a chair and fighting back tears on the bench. That wasn't just the best moment of the Celtics season, I think it was the best moment of my life.

The Kobe-MJ thing ... done. Over. Jordan never would have let that happen in the Finals. Ever. Under any circumstances. Nobody is ever allowed to bring this up again.

My dad's take after the game: "I never gave up hope! I knew we would win!" Apparently, all copies of his halftime phone call have been destroyed.

m33p0
06-14-2008, 07:55 AM
:lol :lol :lol