PDA

View Full Version : Bird Says Stern Rigged game 6

Galileo
06-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Bird Says Stern Rigged game 6

"Back in 1984, former Celtic Larry Bird accused the new NBA Commissioner, David Stern, of rigging games.

It was after Game 6 of the 1984 NBA Finals. Bird had had a legendary game: 28 points, 14 rebounds, 8 assists, and 3 blocks. The Celtics were leading by double figures late in the third quarter. At that stage, the referees tightened their calls against the Celtics, which allowed L.A. to turn on Showtime, and thereby force Game 7.

Bird said to reporters, "Stern told a fan that the NBA needed a seven-game series, that the league needed the money. When the commissioner makes a statement like that to a fan, you know it's going to be tough. When Stern makes a statement like that, things are going to happen. You just don't make statements like that and not expect anything out of it. He's the commissioner and he shouldn't be saying anything like that. The NBA wanted a seventh game because they wanted to make more money and they got their wish. There is no reason for me to lie. He said it. He's a man and he'll live up to it. He may say he said it in jest. But I'm out there trying to make a living and win a championship."

Stern never denied Bird‘s allegations. He avoided the media, refused to let anyone know his whereabouts, and made a curious statement through assistant commissioner Brian McIntyre. “David said Bird's comment is ridiculous. Like every fan in America, he has been looking forward to a seventh game. It's a dream matchup, and everybody has wanted to see a seven-game series since Day 1.”

Bird was never fined and the team suffered no immediate adverse consequences. Red Auerbach, who had taken Stern’s measure early on, disliked him, often criticized his decisions, and constantly called him “stupid” to his face.

What effect did Bird’s comments have? Before Game 7, coach Pat Riley guaranteed a Laker victory. “It's destiny“, Riley said, “I believe in the Fates, and I think it's our time. I think the script is written for us to win."

Officials called 28 fouls on the Celtics, 51 fouls on the Lakers. Celtics won 111-102.

After the game, Tommy Heinsohn said, “I think Bird said those things to get the refs on his side.”"

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8231176/Donaghy-says-refs-fixed-playoffs;-Stern-says-no

baseline bum
06-14-2008, 05:45 PM
FAIL for the misleading title

ChumpDumper
06-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Galileo is our resident conspiracy nut.

Galileo
06-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Galileo is our resident conspiracy nut.

ChumpDumper is our resident debunker and corporate stooge.

:ihit

ChumpDumper
06-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Wrong.

I'm a Travis County operative for the New World Order which includes, but is not limited to fixing basketball games.

You might want to search my predictions for the Toros in the playoffs this season. Such prescience is no accident.:cooldevil

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-14-2008, 06:18 PM
ChumpDumper is our resident debunker and corporate stooge.

:ihit

That'll show 'em. :bking

K-State Spur
06-14-2008, 06:37 PM
I'll give it more credence when somebody who WON the game believes that it was rigged.

pjjrfan
06-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Well Bird is right about one thing Stern should shut up about wanting it to go 7 games, or that his dream matchup would be the Lakers vs. the Lakers. Coming from the games highest ranking official that bush. I don't see any other commissioner saying things like that.

DDS4
06-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Make up calls, make up games.

What a joke.

LakerHater
06-15-2008, 01:44 AM
Well Bird is right about one thing Stern should shut up about wanting it to go 7 games, or that his dream matchup would be the Lakers vs. the Lakers. Coming from the games highest ranking official that bush. I don't see any other commissioner saying things like that.
Agreed and well said!! http://db.funformobile.com/images/smiles/cheer.gif (javascript:emoticon('form_text',':cheer:'))
http://db.funformobile.com/images/smiles/clap.gif (javascript:emoticon('form_text',':clap:'))

Benvolio_Montague
06-15-2008, 03:38 AM
Stern ordering officials to call a game a certain way in order to prolong a series and generate more revenue?

I'm shocked!

stxspurs
06-15-2008, 11:15 AM
It's a dream matchup, and everybody has wanted to see a seven-game series since Day 1.”

dream matchup???..where have i heard that before.............?

fuck stern!

Twisted_Dawg
06-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I wonder who the officials were for that game?