PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ainge to Have His # Retired

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Ainge To Have His Number Retired?
Jun 15, 2008 7:54 AM EST

Celtics' executive Danny Ainge will reportedly have his number retired by the team if he is able to bring the city yet another title, according to The Boston Herald.

"It’s true," managing partner Wyc Grousbeck said Saturday. "It was a long time ago, and it was kind of a lighthearted thing, but I was completely serious about it. Danny declined the offer, but if we’re fortunate enough to win, we’ll be having that conversation again."

When Grousbeck hired Ainge five years ago to run the team's basketball operations, he reportedly told him that he'd retire his number if he built a champion.

"I look up there and see (Larry) Bird, (Kevin) McHale, and (Robert) Parish with their numbers retired," Grousbeck said. "Danny was part of those teams, and with what he’s done to rebuild us now, I definitely think he belongs there, too."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52991/20080615/ainge_to_have_his_number_retired/

The Franchise
06-15-2008, 02:09 PM
What has he done to deserve it?

tlongII
06-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Ainge was an excellent NBA player. I think this is more about his putting the current team together, but it's probably warranted.

pauls931
06-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Shouldn't they be hanging Kevin McFail's? Or a second one if he already had his retired?

ShoogarBear
06-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Shouldn't they be hanging Kevin McFail's? Or a second one if he already had his retired?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Hang McHale's number again.

baseline bum
06-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I'd rather they just hanged McHale.

Tippecanoe
06-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I'd rather they just hanged McHale.

give the guy a break. he was just trying to get the best return possible.

at least he didnt trade an all star big man for a bucket of worms ala chris wallace

ShoogarBear
06-15-2008, 04:40 PM
give the guy a break. he was just trying to get the best return possible.

at least he didnt trade an all star big man for a bucket of worms ala Jerry West

Fixed.

JamStone
06-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Just write Danny Ainge's name and number in magic marker on McHale's banner.

endrity
06-15-2008, 06:15 PM
McHale got back Al Jefferson, who is already a pretty good player and will only grow. Ryan Gomes could turn into someone if they keep him as well. I don't think McHale did bad at all.

Now Chris Wallace....