PDA

View Full Version : web designer/developer

stretch
06-16-2008, 09:18 AM
i am interested in such a career path. anyone have any suggestions?

i would really like to do an online course for education in this field.

stretch
06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
anyone?

mouse
06-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I must say every time I go to Craig's list or to other forums i see people needing websites.
I have found it's time consuming so if you have the time, this is for you!

Download all the website making software you can before they crack down, and click on Google videos and you can learn in as soon as one day.

stretch
06-16-2008, 12:51 PM
I must say every time I go to Craig's list or to other forums i see people needing websites.

Download all the website making software you can before they crack down, and click on Google videos and you can learn in as soon as one day.

lol i will definitely take that into account as a way to get ahead of things, but i wanna actually take courses so that i have job credentials as well.

stretch
06-16-2008, 01:19 PM

and what is the recommended website making software that i should get?

stretch
06-16-2008, 03:56 PM
you all suck at helping a friend out

lefty
06-16-2008, 04:07 PM
i am interested in such a career path. anyone have any suggestions?

i would really like to do an online course for education in this field.

Are you a Java or .Net guy ?

stretch
06-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Are you a Java or .Net guy ?

i really wanna learn a bunch of areas. wanna be very versatile. obviously gotta HTML. wanna others such as CSS, Java, etc...

Heath Ledger
06-16-2008, 04:36 PM
dreamweaver.

lefty
06-16-2008, 04:41 PM
i really wanna learn a bunch of areas. wanna be very versatile. obviously gotta HTML. wanna others such as CSS, Java, etc...

When it comes for job opportunities, I think it's best to specialize either in Java or .Net.

I don't know about videogames companies, so I don't want to be misleading, but when it comes to IT companies, Java and .Net are the shit right now, but you have to choose 1 of them

pickle girl
06-16-2008, 07:29 PM
you all suck at helping a friend out

I don't think you have the patients for this type of work.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-16-2008, 07:54 PM
You could buy an account an Lynda.com and learn the software there. $25/month.

DOMINATOR
06-16-2008, 08:51 PM
portfolio is more important than 'credentials' or a certificate that shows you took classes.
awesome portfolio will get you better jobs faster.

dont get caught up in making all Flash websites. not everyone has flash installed and i personally find flash websites over done and shitty.

i would learn to code html first then move on to xhtml, php, java etc...

take a 2d design class and learn photoshop/illustrator.

MagnusKrauss
06-16-2008, 08:56 PM
what is actually important to web design is not your coding abilities. that can be learned. what is needed is artistic capability.

if you are creative enough, you'd have to learn to use photoshop, illustrator and flash(just a little bit).

and then you'll be ready to learn how to code websites.

exstatic
06-16-2008, 09:35 PM
When it comes for job opportunities, I think it's best to specialize either in Java or .Net.

I don't know about videogames companies, so I don't want to be misleading, but when it comes to IT companies, Java and .Net are the shit right now, but you have to choose 1 of them

So are four year degrees.

lefty
06-16-2008, 10:36 PM
So are four year degrees.

Insightful as always

mouse
06-17-2008, 02:22 AM
^ true story!

My sister needs a site for her house auctioning business. She got a quote for 700.00 so i asked some lady in my apartments who needs a HD data recovered she said she makes websites. I said how much you charge? she said it depends on what you want.

So I ask my sister what is it you want? She says it depends on what they charge!

After the two finally got together my sister ended up with a quote of 3,500.00

I found someone on Craig's list to do it for 199.00 :lmao

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2008, 02:31 AM
ever thought about doing short courses?

Capt Bringdown
06-17-2008, 03:25 AM
First: You need to pick a direction. Web designer and web developer are completely different skill sets and career directions. This may not be true for your mom and pop shops, but at the higher end, such as ad agencies and design firms, this is definitely the case.

That's been my experience at least. I was a jack-of-all trades designer/web developer in a moderate sized shop that got bought out by an international ad agency. At that level visual designers don't touch code, and programmers don't design. You must be totally focused, driven and specialized to compete at this level.

Second: Once you've picked your direction, focus and enroll in a university/college degree program. The experiences and connections you make will be invaluable. If you don't have the time or money to take this step, you'll just have to work much harder to have a go of it IMO.

Third: Move to wear the jobs/careers are. I was a visual artist not trained in digital design. But because I lived in Seattle in the mid 90's, I was able to seek and find opportunities that were available at that time. Could I have done it if I lived in El Paso? Doubtful. A lot of success is just being at the right place in the right time.

Finally, go for it. I was a high school art teacher one day, and the next I was working as a web designer at Microsoft getting paid more than my old boss at school. If I could do it, anyone can - sounds corny, but it's true.

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2008, 03:34 AM
I have friends that did information systems degree....some of them cant even get job after the boom busted....instead of being a designer, he resulted to being a programmer instead now a analysts for some company

stretch
06-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Well I don't really plan neccesarily on doing both. I just wanna learn and be somewhat proficient in both areas, but will likely specialize in the design aspect. Knowing both areas ought to be able to help me have a better understanding of what developers may ask for, as I know quite a few freelance developers that are looking to have a designer to work with.

any other thoughts?

stretch
06-17-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't think you have the patients for this type of work.

fuck you

stretch
06-17-2008, 08:41 AM
ever thought about doing short courses?

as in certification programs? thats what I would actually like to do. I don't actually want to go to a school or anything like that. i want to just get a certification so i at least have some kind of professional credentials, as from my understandings, a good portfolio and experience is a better indicator of your abilities.

stretch
06-17-2008, 08:43 AM
You could buy an account an Lynda.com and learn the software there. $25/month.

what exactly is Lynda.com?

just a bunch of training documents and vids?

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-17-2008, 08:47 AM
what exactly is Lynda.com?

just a bunch of training documents and vids?

Yeah, but specifically about the programs. It's helped me get a grasp of some of the programs I'm trying to learn, even though I'm more of a hands-on learner.

stretch
06-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, but specifically about the programs. It's helped me get a grasp of some of the programs I'm trying to learn, even though I'm more of a hands-on learner.

looks pretty interesting. ill definitely take a look thanks