PDA

View Full Version : Ding, dong, Bavasi's gone!

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-16-2008, 02:28 PM
WOOT!

BC-BBA--Mariners-Bavasi Fired,0206

URGENT

Sagging Mariners fire general manager Bill Bavasi

Eds: APNewsNow. Will be UPDATED.

By TIM BOOTH
AP Sports Writer

SEATTLE (AP) -- The Mariners have fired general manager Bill Bavasi, as Seattle lags along with the worst record in baseball after starting the season with playoff hopes.

Bavasi was fired Monday morning. Vice president/associate general manager Lee Pelekoudas will take over in his place.

Mariners CEO Howard Lincoln said in a release that new leadership was needed in the GM position. Lincoln says a search will begin immediately for a permanent GM, and Pelekoudas will be a candidate.

Bavasi was in his fifth season as Seattle's GM, only once turning out a club with a winning record. That was last year when Seattle won 88 games.

Armed with a $117 million payroll, Bavasi put together what many believed was a playoff contender for 2008. But the Mariners have underachieved from the start and entered Monday night with a 24-45 record.

Melmart1
06-16-2008, 04:11 PM
HAHA, you were the first person I thought of when I read about the firing this morning. Congrats, now lets see if there is anything that can be done to get your team back on track. As a Rangers fan, I hope not but congrats nonetheless :)

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, at least MacPhail was able to snag Adam Jones, George Sherrill, and Chris Tillman away from him first.

Trainwreck2100
06-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I wonder who you will root for when ichiro retires

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-16-2008, 04:39 PM
I wonder who you will root for when ichiro retires

My guess I have to make that decision before you have to decide whether or not to use a condom.

T Park
06-16-2008, 09:04 PM
About friggen time.

Trainwreck2100
06-16-2008, 11:00 PM
My guess I have to make that decision before you have to decide whether or not to use a condom.

The yanks got a guy on their team I'm sure you love. You people tend to stick together