PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Lesson 6-16-08

cajunspur
06-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Someone asked a while back for a basketball lesson about on the ball defense.

The first thing that you need to know to be successful is a proper defensive stance. Your legs should be spread a little wider than shoulder width apart. You should have your knees bent and your butt down. When people get tired, they quit bending their knees and stand straight up where it is much easier to get blown by.

You should force baseline on the wings. It is easier for your help to shift over and rotate if you get beat baseline. The proper way to move laterally is to shuffle your feet, not cross them. If you cross them, you will most definitely get beat. If you are guarding full court and get beat, you should pick a spot down court where you can cut off your man and turn him. You should then sprint to that spot. Turning the offensive player is key in guarding full court. You don't want to make it easy on him.

On the ball defense starts with the close out, which I discussed in a previous lesson.

rAm
06-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I just tried this out, and it works. Trust me.

Pistons < Spurs
06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks coach! I'm ready, put me in!

TheMACHINE
06-16-2008, 05:44 PM
When i force them baseline, i point at the baseline...letting them know that im forcing them baseline...and see if they try to be an idiot and force themself to go the other way.

Dex
06-16-2008, 09:30 PM
When people get tired, they quit bending their knees and stand straight up where it is much easier to get blown by.

That's what she said?

You should force baseline on the wings.

....That's what she said?

On the ball defense starts with the close out

That's what he said!?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ShoogarBear
06-16-2008, 10:17 PM
This is like Red on Roundball, only without pictures and voices and Red.

cajunspur
06-17-2008, 08:48 AM
I am glad this lesson has taught everyone something new.