PDA

View Full Version : Creative Civilization Resigns Spurs Account

duncan228
06-16-2008, 05:44 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2008/06/16/daily8.html

Creative Civilization resigns Spurs account
San Antonio Business Journal
by W. Scott Bailey

Creative Civilization is ending its 14-year run with Spurs Sports & Entertainment.

Officials with the San Antonio ad agency say after careful consideration, primarily because of SS&E's changing direction, they have resigned from an account that includes the four-time NBA champion Spurs, the American Hockey League Rampage and the WNBA Silver Stars.

As the only Hispanic-owned agency in the NBA, Creative Civilization led the marketing and creative development efforts for SS&E and its trio of franchises.

The move comes less than a week after Russ Bookbinder resigned as executive vice president of business operations for SS&E after a two-decade run.

Said Bookbinder about his departure: "I needed to take a step back and see what the next chapter is."

Al Aguilar, chairman and CEO of Creative Civilization, says the agency is "very proud of the 14-year legacy it has created with the Spurs."

"While our efforts have received wide acclaim both internally by the Spurs and externally by the fans, we feel it is time to redirect our resources and energies to serving the needs of a wider and growing base of clients," Aguilar adds.

Founded in 1999 by Aguilar and Gisela Girard, Creative Civilization represents regional and national clients in the general, Hispanic and business-to-business markets.

spurschick
06-16-2008, 05:51 PM
:hang:shootme

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 06:07 PM

Yeah. I'm not sure who comprises their client base but this doesn't seem like a good move.

Twisted_Dawg
06-16-2008, 06:11 PM
I wonder why Holt has a bee up his ass?

whottt
06-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Bandwagoners :td

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
I wonder why Holt has a bee up his ass?

Probably opening up a new dealership.

ShoogarBear
06-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Okay, what is really going on here?

PDXSpursFan
06-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Rats always flee a sinking ship? :lol

FromWayDowntown
06-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Could this be a situation where Bookbinder was a big advocate for this agency, but others in the organization think it's not done a good job?

I could certainly see that if Bookbinder has been responsible for keeping this group in the game, his departure might make it preferable to resign the account before being fired or replaced in a manner that might not reflect well upon the agency.

Avitus1
06-16-2008, 07:28 PM
http://torontofc.theoffside.com/files/2008/04/wtf.jpg

Pistons < Spurs
06-16-2008, 08:13 PM
First it's Bookbinder, now Creative Civilization. Please God tell me Stan Kelly is the next to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SenorSpur
06-16-2008, 08:16 PM
First it's Bookbinder, now Creative Civilization. Please God tell me Stan Kelly is the next to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....and after that, get rid of that boring, long-running, "Ya'll ready for this" version of their game presentation.

CubanMustGo
06-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Good riddance. Bring on someone who can market a team.

They got fired and the Spurs are letting them put a good face on it.

ElNono
06-16-2008, 08:18 PM
All right, I'm going to ask the question: Is Holt setting up everything to sell the team?
(Cue in conspiracy theories...)

DazedAndConfused
06-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Looks like they can see the writing on the wall. Spurs are headed for a slow and gradual decline into mediocrity for the foreseeable future until Duncan retires. Considering the Spur fanbase doesn't sell out playoff games NOW with a contending squad, you'd have to imagine how much worse it's going to be when they are mediocre.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 08:20 PM
ROFL. Yeah, that's it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-16-2008, 08:21 PM
:lol

Mister Sinister
06-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Looks like they can see the writing on the wall. Spurs are headed for a slow and gradual decline into mediocrity for the foreseeable future until Duncan retires. Considering the Spur fanbase doesn't sell out playoff games NOW with a contending squad, you'd have to imagine how much worse it's going to be when they are mediocre.
At first I was like, :wtf. But then, I :lol'd!

my2sons
06-16-2008, 10:57 PM

really, which playoff game didn't sell out

leemajors
06-16-2008, 11:26 PM

it's better to sell out games in advance and have the majority of the fanbase show up midway through the 2nd to be seen, and cheer lackadaisically when they do deem it fashionable to arrive.

itzsoweezee
06-16-2008, 11:46 PM
so sad because the spurs marketing has been so great the past 14 years. </sarcasm>

ChumpDumper
06-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Looks like they can see the writing on the wall. Spurs are headed for a slow and gradual decline into mediocrity for the foreseeable future until Duncan retires. Considering the Spur fanbase doesn't sell out playoff games NOW with a contending squad, you'd have to imagine how much worse it's going to be when they are mediocre.You don't know how ad agencies work, do you?

anakha
06-17-2008, 12:37 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2603108#post2603108

lame thread. attention whore.

Pot, kettle, black.

T Park
06-17-2008, 12:38 AM
I know of one reason to be sad about this.

gospursgojas
06-17-2008, 12:38 AM
.....and after that, get rid of that boring, long-running, "Ya'll ready for this" version of their game presentation.

We have already established that they don't use that song anymore!

Go to a game or two... :rollin

GSH
06-17-2008, 06:54 PM
This announcement seemed just about as strange as Bookbinder's resignation. It's been in the back of my mind the last couple of days, and I had a thought that might make the two events make sense.

The Spurs have had the most dominating team in any professional sport for the last decade, but they have largely been marketed as home-town heroes. Yes, they have fans all over the country and the world, but they don't enjoy the kind of bandwagon popularity some other sports teams have. So maybe they are planning to take the franchise in a new direction.

Basketball is a sport, but the money flows because it is entertainment. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying it, but there is a lot of extra publicity (and money) to be gained by cultivating the theater aspect. For instance: they have been saddled by the media as playing dirty. Maybe they think it's time for them to play into that reputation, and start wearing the black hats for a change? You have to admit, no one would call them boring anymore, even if they didn't change a thing on the court.

Holt may have recognized that the team is playing on an incredibly large stage, and there is a lot more money to be made by engaging a broader audience. Even Disney recognized the need to make something besides G-rated movies. I read an article a while back about how the Celtics' new ownership team laid a lot of groundwork to be able to bring in much more revenue when the team finally became successful again. If I can find it again, I will post a link.

The Spurs reputation is that of a bunch of nice guys who don't sing their own praises. The problem is, not many other people are singing their praises. And, like it or not, a large portion of the population are not at all put off by all the chest-thumping, as long as the players can back it up on the court. And there are a lot of people ready to hop on a bad-boys bandwagon, as long as the team wins. And the Spurs have that part down to a science.

The point is, Spurs franchise is a business for the purpose of making money. And they are probably leaving a lot of money on the table. Not many business owners are willing to do that. So maybe they are looking for people who are better equipped to take the franchise in a different direction. It would make sense that their marketing firm quit before being fired. (Why would a firm just give up an account like the Spurs to go prospect for new clients?) As for Bookbinder? Maybe it was management's idea, or maybe the proposed change isn't his cup of tea.

Just a thought.

theshadow
07-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Friday, June 27, 2008
Spurs trying to score new ad agency in challenging times
San Antonio Business Journal - by W. Scott Bailey

Creative Civilization's decision to resign a Spurs advertising account it has held for more than a decade has the NBA team and its parent company, Spurs Sports & Entertainment (SS&E), searching for a new ad agency.

The successor to Creative Civilization will face immediate challenges, including the exit of a top Spurs executive, heightened NBA game-fixing conspiracy talk and an economy that is leaving fans with little disposable income.

Creative Civilization co-founder Al Aguilar says his agency contemplated resigning the SS&E account when the latter quietly moved to put the contract up for grabs by soliciting proposals from Aguilar's firm and its competitors. But it was the surprising resignation of SS&E Executive Vice President Russ Bookbinder that Aguilar says cemented his agency's own resignation.

Bookbinder says he "needed to take a step back and see what the next chapter is."

Aguilar says Bookbinder's departure "helped me solidify my decision."

"I got with my team and we talked about all of this," Aguilar explains. "We made the decision to not (participate in the contract proposal process), to reassert our energies elsewhere."

Strong brand
Skip Wood is CEO of The Wood Agency and he is also an avid Spurs fan. Wood says his agency was a finalist for the Spurs account several years ago and was invited to participate in the current proposal process.

But The Wood Agency has elected to pass. Wood says compensation was a factor in that decision.

Wood says he expects there will be a number of agencies who are interested in landing the SS&E account.

But he also says the victor will likely have to deal with a number of important issues.

They include organizational changes prompted by Bookbinder's departure and a RefGate scandal that tainted the 2008 NBA Finals. Those allegations were made by ousted NBA referee Tim Donaghy, who contends that other NBA whistle blowers had manipulated previous playoff games and series.

Wood believes the Spurs can withstand the conspiracy scandal.

He also believes San Antonio's only major professional sports franchise can absorb the front office disruption and even the knocks from fans and media that the team itself is too old, too slow and too boring.

"The Spurs are a strong brand," Wood says. "A strong brand can overcome strong challenges."

What no one can predict is whether the Spurs or any NBA team can overcome a rough economy that has consumers dealing with rising household costs and shrinking disposable incomes.

"There are some serious challenges ahead for any entertainment vehicle," Wood warns.

One agency that has not been invited to participate in the contract proposal process as of press time is Austin-based GSD&M Idea City.

In the run up to the 2008 NBA playoffs, SS&E reached out to GSD&M for a creative assist. "Get to the Game" was a campaign designed to move Spurs fans from in front of their TV sets into AT&T Center seats.

Aguilar says it is GSD&M's relationship with San Antonio-based AT&T Inc. that got them a shot with the Spurs this season.

But as of press time, GSD&M had not leveraged that opportunity into a longer-term role with the Spurs.

"We have not received an RFP (request for a contract proposal from the Spurs)," says GSD&M spokeswoman Melanie Mahaffey.

Wood says he is somewhat surprised.

Climate change?

Aguilar says it's important to note that his agency and the Spurs are parting on good terms.

"Our legacy speaks for itself," he says. "No one can take that legacy away."

Would Creative Civilization have resigned the SS&E account and passed on participating in the new RFP process had Bookbinder not ended his two-decade tenure with the Spurs?

"I don't know," Aguilar says.

Spurs Chairman and CEO Peter Holt says Bookbinder's recent departure left the organization with enough time to assess its options and then move accordingly.

"We're going to use this as an opportunity to look at everything we're doing," he says.

The to-do list includes replacing Creative Civilization under less than ideal circumstances.

Aguilar says the Spurs have been an extremely important client. He says they represented Creative Civilization's first big score as an agency.

But just what does the next agency inherit?

A strong Spurs brand and a local market that loves its NBA team, Aguilar contends.

However, Aguilar is not blind to the outside factors that could impact the Spurs and their next agency.

His advice for that agency: "You have to know the psychology of the current marketplace. You play into that. You also have to understand the dynamics."

One of the big uncertainties, according to Aguilar: "We don't know what the climate will be (next season)."

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2008/06/30/story2.html?b=1214798400^1659872

CubanMustGo
07-01-2008, 05:29 PM
"Legacy"? The legacy of not being able to successfully market the team despite all its success and role-model players and staff? This is a small-time agency with small-time clients and it's time to get someone who's going to be serious. Let's look at the all-star client lineup:

SA Express-News
HEB
American State Bank
Concha
TxDOT (a don't mess w/Texas commercial I never saw)
CityReach Latino
SA Spurs
SA Silver Stars
SA Rampage
AT&T Center
CPS
Conexion
Ricos
SA Opera
University Health System
The Henry Kaiser Family Foundation
American Cancer Society (en espanol)
21SA
Las Misiones

Yep, we're gonna miss these guys. Not.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
This is all a lot of business doubletalk to me. The Spurs were paying these advertising agencies, right? So why would they resign if they were still getting paid? Because the Spurs might start looking at other ad agencies? It doesn't make sense.

GSH
07-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Friday, June 27, 2008
Spurs trying to score new ad agency in challenging times
San Antonio Business Journal - by W. Scott Bailey

But just what does the next agency inherit?

A strong Spurs brand and a local market that loves its NBA team, Aguilar contends.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2008/06/30/story2.html?b=1214798400^1659872

I took a lot of shit from MB and a few others over my comments about this, but it's starting to come out. Creative Civilization "quit" because the Spurs made it clear they were looking elsewhere. And the Spurs recognize that they need to leverage the brand outside of the local market.

Creative Civilization's marketing effort has been adequate, while the Spurs' on-court performance has been excellent. If the team is going to remain competitive, they need excellence from their marketing as well.

Flame all you want to, but those extra marketing dollars pay salaries.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't get it. If the Spurs think their marketing could be better, why wouldn't Creative Civilization make an effort to show them that they could do more, rather than give up the contract?

I mean, that's what Darrin Stephens would do.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I took a lot of shit from MB and a few others over my comments about this, but it's starting to come out. Creative Civilization "quit" because the Spurs made it clear they were looking elsewhere. And the Spurs recognize that they need to leverage the brand outside of the local market.

Creative Civilization's marketing effort has been adequate, while the Spurs' on-court performance has been excellent. If the team is going to remain competitive, they need excellence from their marketing as well.

Flame all you want to, but those extra marketing dollars pay salaries.

ROFL. Here's what you wrote:

We're nearing the end of the Duncan/Popovich era. We may see a whole lot of changes in the next few years.

After I pointed out that Duncan was under contract until 2012, you threw a little hissy fit.

Solid D
07-01-2008, 08:33 PM
My guess is that Creative was allowed by the Spurs to publically "go in a different direction" because the Spurs were going in a different direction.

I certainly hope that Russ Bookbinder was forthright in his dealings with Creative. He seemed to be a very principled man, so I doubt it, but sometimes stuff happpens.

GSH
07-01-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't get it. If the Spurs think their marketing could be better, why wouldn't Creative Civilization make an effort to show them that they could do more, rather than give up the contract?

I mean, that's what Darrin Stephens would do.

I'm guessing that Russ Bookbinder was their advocate. It definitely looks like their departure and his were related.

The article states that "In the run up to the 2008 NBA playoffs, SS&E reached out to GSD&M for a creative assist." That means that they (the Spurs) felt the need to enlist another ad agency for the playoffs this year. That's a pretty strong statement. I'm sure they understood that they were out, and quit in order to save face.

I certainly hope that Russ Bookbinder was forthright in his dealings with Creative. He seemed to be a very principled man

Count on it. Whatever happened, that wasn't a problem.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2008, 08:51 PM
The only guess I can make is that the Spurs were pissed they weren't selling out the early playoff games, and pointed the finger at marketing.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2008, 09:03 PM
The only guess I can make is that the Spurs were pissed they weren't selling out the early playoff games, and pointed the finger at marketing.

s well they should be. I watch TV listen to the radio etc and I had no idea there were tickets still available. This is a trend with the club that has ben going on for some time.

There presentation and marketing of the club is complete and utter crap especially in games and Stan fucking Kelly has to be about the worst announcer in professional sports. I'd take Harry Carrey's corpse over that guy.

I mean its even abundant that the firm has no idea what their constituents think because this is all shit weve been talking about for the better part of a decade.

But hey it only took them a decade to figure out that pink is not a good color for a men's basketball team.

I wouldn't be surprised if these 'resignations' aren't really polite firings because these people couldn't do their jobs worth a shit.

spurschick
07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Let's look at the all-star client lineup:

SA Express-News
HEB
American State Bank
Concha
TxDOT (a don't mess w/Texas commercial I never saw)
CityReach Latino
SA Spurs
SA Silver Stars
SA Rampage
AT&T Center
CPS
Conexion
Ricos
SA Opera
University Health System
The Henry Kaiser Family Foundation
American Cancer Society (en espanol)
21SA
Las Misiones

I don't think this list is up to date. Obviously the Spurs aren't clients anymore, but I'm pretty sure that the ones in orange are no longer clients either.

And I'm also pretty sure that the ad agency didn't have anything to do with the communication of tickets going on sale. The Spurs have their own marketing, PR and sales staff to handle those kinds of things. I believe that all the ad agency does is the creative.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't think this list is up to date. Obviously the Spurs aren't clients anymore, but I'm pretty sure that the ones in orange are no longer clients either.

And I'm also pretty sure that the ad agency didn't have anything to do with the communication of tickets going on sale. The Spurs have their own marketing, PR and sales staff to handle those kinds of things. I believe that all the ad agency does is the creative.

That still would be Bookbinder's province. It certainly looks like the Spurs are cleaning house moreso than the sinking ship that others have been purporting.

The marketing of the Spurs pretty much across the board has been terrible.

For example has the club even tried to exploit the multinational aspect? We were on the absolute cutting edge on international prospects circa 2000 and that was never used with the exception of a stray comment coming from a national broadcast.

I realize that Tim doesn't like the limelight and that should be respected but Manu is a national hero in his home country, Tony Parker won the Legion of Honor in France and is a multinational celebrity, Bruce Bowen is witty and gregarious, Robert Horry is about as pimp as they come,Eva Longoria is practically begging to market herself and does marketing take advantage of that? OH NO.

I mean when you have all those oppurtunities and HEB is pimping their product infinitely better with Spurs players you have a problem. Their idea of a television spot is a still with some douchebag talking over it.

Then there is the ingame production. There are two good things they do their. Its obvious that whoever is in charge of booking the sponsors and community events during timeouts and at half time does a good job. They do a great job getting a lot of community involvement for all spheres. The coyote does a good job.

OTOH whoever handles the lighting and sound needs to have been fired about a decade ago. The lighting is typically the age old trailing spotlight which shoes absolutely no creativity but at the end of the day i can live with that.

The sound on the other handle is absolutely horrific. It took them aobut 12 years to finally replace some of the songs they play and what do they change it too? Permutations of the same goddamn music. They should be polling fans and looking at local radio rating to find out what people in this town like to listen to. What do they do? Play the same exact shit.

And on a final note. Them not selling out playoff games and not even getting the word out to the public is absolutely inexcusable. I myself was mortified when I heard that becuase I would have fucking gone. I LOVE that shit. But its typically sold out so i just presume that. Me hearing a single 15 second spot would have fixed that but I heard nada until after the fact.

Bookbinder, the ad agency, all of them just needed to go and its been a long time coming. Its like they dont even care.

CubanMustGo
07-02-2008, 12:01 AM

Info came directly from their web site.

KEDA
07-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Meh, so what, I think that they had some talented people that worked there, and hopefully whatever agency they hire to replace Creative Civilization will get some of those associates.

GSH
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
ROFL. Here's what you wrote:
We're nearing the end of the Duncan/Popovich era. We may see a whole lot of changes in the next few years.

LOL... and here's what you wrote, Marcus: "I have no idea about the mktg firm's performance." So why the fuck were you even in the conversation? Just trying to keep your 291 post-per-day average up?

You jumped to an ignorant conclusion, and fired off an asshole response. You weren't man enough just to say, "Sorry, I was wrong." (I guess guys who call themselves pimp don't do that.) And you weren't smart enough to just drop it.

You had to follow up with dumb shit like this: it's likely not that much of a concern. Unless they are living from hand to mouth. LOL. Is that the way you run your personal life? Anything better than hand-to-mouth is good enough? I don't get it. Maybe it's just a pimp thing.

You got into shit you admittedly knew nothing about. Trying to belittle me with the "hissy fit" comment doesn't change that. Maybe that's how pimps keep their bitches in line, but it doesn't play anywhere else. Stick to what you know.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2008, 12:41 PM
if the spurs want to be attention whores in the media, should go do porn :D

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Spurs' marketing has been for shit for a long time. The only reason there are fans outside of San Antonio is because of the performance of the team. Generating interest inside town is sort of like shooting fish in a barrel.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 01:03 PM
LOL... and here's what you wrote, Marcus: "I have no idea about the mktg firm's performance." So why the fuck were you even in the conversation? Just trying to keep your 291 post-per-day average up?

You jumped to an ignorant conclusion, and fired off an asshole response. You weren't man enough just to say, "Sorry, I was wrong." (I guess guys who call themselves pimp don't do that.) And you weren't smart enough to just drop it.

It's "ignorant" and an "asshole response" to point out that the Spurs have Duncan under contract for four more seasons when someone postulates that the "Duncan/Popovich era" would be ending within a couple seasons? Enough, drama queen.