06-16-2008, 07:04 PM
http://www.eurobasket.com/photos/Sharpe_Walter.jpg

Full Name: Walter Sharpe
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6-9 / 235
Birthdate: July 16, 1986
High School: Ramsay
College: Alabama-Birmingham

NBADraft.net (http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/waltersharpe.html)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Walter-Sharpe-5238/)

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 07:09 PM
After sitting out a year and finally suiting up for the Blazers, Walter Sharpe averaged 14.2 points and 6.8 rebounds in UAB's first 12 games of the 07-08 season. However, in January of 2008, Sharpe was declared academically ineligible for the rest of the year. (http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1200388616273030.xml&coll=2) He was subsequently been diagnosed with narcolepsy, which has been used as an excuse for academic woes. Sharpe had hopes to receive treatment and suit up for the Blazers in 2008-2009, but for one reason or another, opted to declare for the NBA draft instead.

link (http://www.bulletsforever.com/2008/6/9/548673/the-brief-history-of-walte)

Mr. Body
06-16-2008, 07:11 PM
A narcoleptic jumpshooter would simply be awesome.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 10:33 PM
-Walter Sharpe may be a surprising name called on draft night, after conducting strong workouts with teams like Cleveland, Denver, New Jersey, Washington and Charlotte, and showing surprisingly well there. Sharpe, a very highly touted member of the 2004 high school class, only played in 12 games this season before being ruled academically ineligible at UAB. He was later diagnosed with Narcolepsy (a sleeping disorder), but has numerous other red flags on his resume, including being kicked out of Mississippi State for breaking team rules, being shot in the stomach, and then later being arrested for disorderly conduct—all separate incidents.

Some team may regardless decide to take a chance on Sharpe due to his terrific combination of size, athleticism and skill playing both inside and out. One NBA Assistant General Manager told DraftExpress that he thinks Sharpe is a first round caliber talent who may not get to the middle of the second round due to the increasing buzz around him. He still has workouts to conduct with Utah, Detroit and the LA Lakers.

link (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Rounding-Up-2940/)

tav1
01-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Okay so I'm lobbying for the Toros to pick up DeMarcus Nelson and the they should also think about Walter Sharpe. Word is that the Pistons may have to cut him to avoid guaranteed money and the tax man. I didn't check, but I suppose it makes sense.

Bruno
01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Okay so I'm lobbying for the Toros to pick up DeMarcus Nelson and the they should also think about Walter Sharpe. Word is that the Pistons may have to cut him to avoid guaranteed money and the tax man. I didn't check, but I suppose it makes sense.

Do you know that there are special rules about signing FA for D-League teams ?
Toros just can't sign players they want to sign.

Walter Sharpe, who has been drafted by Detroit, will go back to Detroit's affiliate team (Fort Wayne Mad Ants) if he decides to go back in D-League.

For DeMarcus Nelson, I'm not sure : either he will go back to GS affiliate team (Bakersfield Jam) or will be in the D-League FA players pool. There are strict rules about FA players pool and in all likelihood, Toros won't have the priority to pick a specific player.

Signing a player for Toros isn't like signing a player for Spurs. They can't directly call an agent and said that they want one of their client. Saying that Toros should sign Sharpe or Nelson makes no sense because they can't do that.

Austin_Toros
01-06-2009, 05:12 PM

Walter Sharpe, who has been drafted by Detroit, will go back to Detroit's affiliate team (Fort Wayne Mad Ants) if he decides to go back in D-League.

For DeMarcus Nelson, I'm not sure : either he will go back to GS affiliate team (Bakersfield Jam) or will be in the D-League FA players pool. There are strict rules about FA players pool and in all likelihood, Toros won't have the priority to pick a specific player.

Signing a player for Toros isn't like signing a player for Spurs. They can't directly call an agent and said that they want one of their client. Saying that Toros should sign Sharpe or Nelson makes no sense because they can't do that.

If an NBA player is waived and wants to play in the D-League, can any team sign him?
For example, after Blake Ahearn was waived could he go to any D-League team he wanted to?

ChumpDumper
01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
If an NBA player is waived and wants to play in the D-League, can any team sign him?
For example, after Blake Ahearn was waived could he go to any D-League team he wanted to?The Dakota Wizards still had the rights to Ahearn since he played for them last season and was on their roster to start this season.

If Tolliver is waived, Iowa probably still holds his rights.

Recently Richard Hendrix got waived and was not picked up by Bakersfield, but by Dakota, so it may be that when a second rounder is waived during the season he's up for grabs. In that case, the order in which teams can sign such a player changes periodically -- that's as specific as I can get.

Bruno
01-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Recently Richard Hendrix got waived and was not picked up by Bakersfield, but by Dakota, so it may be that when a second rounder is waived during the season he's up for grabs. In that case, the order in which teams can sign such a player changes periodically -- that's as specific as I can get.

Nice remark.

So in all likelihood, it means that Sharpe, Nelson or whoever decides to enter in the D-League for the first time during the season can only do it via the FA player pool.
Each D-League team has basically the same odds to grab these players.

tav1
01-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Sure, Bruno, there is a kind of waiver wire. I'm aware.

Edit: CD already covered this...sorry to be redundant.