PDA

View Full Version : The 45, 57, Beno Trade Exception and Cash...

tav1
06-16-2008, 08:26 PM
...to get into the late first round and grab Bill Walker. That's generous, especially if the Spurs eat the salary of a scrub with the TE.

I'm on the phone right now with the Sonics, Rockets, Pistons, Grizzlies and Celtics to make it happen.

Draft CDR/Lee/Batum and Bill Walker, and call it a draft.

I'm also nagging Kevin McHale daily for 31 and/or 35. He ate Beno and bought him out for the Spurs under some bogus conditional 2 scheme. Maybe we can return the favor for him and eat a contract. Jaric is unthinkable, but perhaps Madsen or Buckner. If Ibaka slips out of the first, it could be worth it. It would cover the Spurs' lack of a 2009 pick.

ChumpDumper
06-16-2008, 08:28 PM
That package might get us #26!

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-16-2008, 08:30 PM
That would be an interesting trade, BTW.

tav1
06-16-2008, 08:34 PM
That package might get us #26!

Yes, that's essentially what I'm saying so that the Spurs can still play conservative with 26 and take a big risk on Bill Walker's knees. Two 26s is basically the idea. One low risk/moderate reward pick, and one high risk/high reward pick.

I like those lottery balls better than any combination of options at 45 and 57.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
...to get into the late first round and grab Bill Walker. That's generous, especially if the Spurs eat the salary of a scrub with the TE.

I'm on the phone right now with the Sonics, Rockets, Pistons, Grizzlies and Celtics to make it happen.

Draft CDR/Lee/Batum and Bill Walker, and call it a draft.

I'm also nagging Kevin McHale daily for 31 and/or 35. He ate Beno and bought him out for the Spurs under some bogus conditional 2 scheme. Maybe we can return the favor for him and eat a contract. Jaric is unthinkable, but perhaps Madsen or Buckner. If Ibaka slips out of the first, it could be worth it. It would cover the Spurs' lack of a 2009 pick.

Would you give up the Spurs first round pick for a similar package from another team? I sure as heck wouldn't.

Mr. Body
06-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Why don't we just trade the #57 plus a dollar
for the #56

then we trade the #56 plus a dollar
for the #55

then we trade the #55 plus a dollar
for the #54

then we trade the #54 plus a dollar
for the #54

and we keep going like this
until we have Derrick Rose
and Michael Beasley both

and we're just out
a couple hundred bucks
or something

tav1
06-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Would you give up the Spurs first round pick for a similar package from another team? I sure as heck wouldn't.

Depending on my roster and cap situation, I might.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Sonics, Rockets, Pistons, Grizzlies and Celtics

Why do any of those take such a deal?

tav1
06-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Why do any of those take such a deal?

I'm not sure, but I make the phone calls.

But here are some possible justifications.

The Celtics are tight on cash, have Pruitt, Rondo, Powe and Davis in the fold, need to resign Posey, Eddie House and possibly Tony Allen. Maybe they'd rather not have another youngster eating cap space with a gauranteed contract next season but would like to try their hand at a few draft and stash prospects.

The Pistons are in a similar situation, plus they're trying to trade a big asset or to a) land another big fish and/or a promising young player and b) to allow Amir Johnson, Cheik Samb, Affalo and Stuckey floor time. If they add a rookie, it might be by leveraging a lottery pick earlier in the first. At that point, they might want to avoid a gauranteed contract at 29.

Same kind of argument for the Rockets, plus we could eat the contract of Luther Head, who, with Jackson, Alston and Brooks in the fold, is the odd duck out and a waste of Rocket roster space.

The Grizzlies are a cost-cutting enigma that has done far worse to save a buck in the last few months.

I can't think of a justification for the Sonics, but I'd still make the call.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah! Let's throw in our first rounder too, that way we can look really stupid having given all that up for a guy with chronic knee problems!!!!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3446626

One low risk/moderate reward pick, and one high risk/high reward pick.

There's nothing 'high reward' about a guy who is going to spend the majority of his career on the injured list with knee problems. Let that be someone else's fuck up, not SA's.

If the Duncan years were over and the Spurs were in full on rebuild mode, sure, roll the dice. With another 3 or so years of TD being the best PF in the league? Fuck no.

Sway
06-16-2008, 10:05 PM
I agree with AH, the Spurs should play it safe this year in the draft. Lets stick to the low risk/moderate reward picks that can contribute while TD's window is still open.

tav1
06-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Guys, I want to stick to a low risk/moderate pick with #26, which precisely why I'm suggesting some route to pick up a second late first....I think low risk/high reward is a must. At the same time, I'd much prefer to roll the dice on Bill Walker than on whatever is available at 45 and 57.

K-State Spur
06-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Yeah! Let's throw in our first rounder too, that way we can look really stupid having given all that up for a guy with chronic knee problems!!!!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3446626

There's nothing 'high reward' about a guy who is going to spend the majority of his career on the injured list with knee problems. Let that be someone else's fuck up, not SA's.

In his entire career, he's missed 15 games due to injury. Don't write him off just yet.

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Either it's taking a chance on lottery talent who falls for whatever reason (in this case, injury), taking their chances with an international talent who can make more than the rookie scale elsewhere, or picking up a solid role player type talent at #26. At the end of the day, what do we honestly think the Spurs (not you or me) will do?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Guys, I want to stick to a low risk/moderate pick with #26, which precisely why I'm suggesting some route to pick up a second late first....I think low risk/high reward is a must. At the same time, I'd much prefer to roll the dice on Bill Walker than on whatever is available at 45 and 57.

If we trade up to get a second late first rounder, we should use it on another player we think will be contribute and is healthy.

Walker's camp is scrambling to lock in a guarantee from a team so that he can quit working out before his knee blows out. Yeah, that's the kind of guy we need to trade up for. :rolleyes

angelbelow
06-17-2008, 02:06 AM
maybe the grizzles are still trying to save money so they should trade us the 3rd pick for TE and cash.