PDA

View Full Version : Becky Hammon Isn't A Traitor

Udokafan05
06-16-2008, 09:53 PM
People who say hammon is a traitor should be more upset with the people who pick the players then hammon. She is one of the best, and should have had a guaranteed spot on the team.

greenroom
06-16-2008, 10:01 PM
People who say hammon is a traitor should be more upset with the people who pick the players then hammon. She is one of the best, and should have had a guaranteed spot on the team.

Good Posting. Becky is a class act and if they would of even gave her a chance to tryout for the team she would not of went else where to fullfill her dream of playing in the Olympics.

manufor3
06-16-2008, 10:31 PM
what? who said she was a traitor? and for what?

JamStone
06-16-2008, 10:40 PM
You know when the Olympic squad was selected, it was before Becky Hammon resurrected her career in San Antonio. She was a very good player with the New York Liberty, but not a no-brainer pick for the Olympics. She didn't deserve a guaranteed spot when the team was selected.

Kriz-Maxima
06-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I do have a problem with the coach of the selection calling her a traitor. You were the one that didn't want her on your team, now you are complaining?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-16-2008, 11:09 PM
I do have a problem with the coach of the selection calling her a traitor. You were the one that didn't want her on your team, now you are complaining?

Really? wow, some people are unbelievably stupid. Doesn't make sense.

Obstructed_View
06-17-2008, 02:15 AM
She's not a traitor, but she is a dumbass with no sense of national pride. If playing for a country she has no ties to just so she can compete in the Olympics is what she wants, then good for her, but she's missing the reason 99.99 percent of people dream of competing in the olympics in the first place IMO.

Spurtacus
06-17-2008, 02:22 AM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/15/american-becky-hammon-called-traitor-for-representing-russia-a/

Instead, Hammon will play for Russia's Olympic basketball team. Hammon has no Russian ancestry, but she has played professionally in Russia, and she became a Russian citizen to aid her basketball career. In the eyes of the International Olympic Committee, that's good enough for her to play for Russia.

angelbelow
06-17-2008, 02:23 AM
big deal, let her play.

DazedAndConfused
06-17-2008, 02:26 AM
What a stupid cunt, figures that she would play for San Antonio.

naico
06-17-2008, 02:28 AM
Like you said, no big deal. Nobody is calling Holden a traitor. Wtf is that guy's problem. If im having try outs for the Spurs and Hornets, and the Hornets offer me a chance to play for the NBA, i won't think twice.

T Park
06-17-2008, 02:32 AM

You stay classy San Diego.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-17-2008, 05:47 AM

I'm surprised you're not pinked. All you do is talk shit and generalize daily for the sake of antagonizing Spurs fans. Calling the town "fat" to stupid statements like these. :lol

jacobdrj
06-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Olijuwon won gold with the US... It is the Olympics... not that big of a deal.

anakha
06-17-2008, 06:19 AM

:lmao

And you wonder why you're considered little more than a troll.

greensborohill
06-17-2008, 07:54 AM
nude pics?

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Olijuwon won gold with the US... It is the Olympics... not that big of a deal.

The US is a country of immigrants. Hakeem lived in the US for fifteen years, went to college and became a citizen before he ever played for the US team. Not really the same thing at all.

KidCongo
06-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Australia will win anyway

gaKNOW!blee
06-21-2008, 09:05 AM
what the fuck is the point of the olympics if you can just play for whatever team you want?

BacktoBasics
06-21-2008, 09:22 AM
She's butthurt for not being selected but that doesn't or shouldn't give her the mentality to play for a competitor. I'm offended by her complete lack of honor all because her precious feelings are hurt. So what you didn't get picked this is your country where you were born and raised and you shit all over it just so you can get in the game some how some way. Its pathetic and embarrassing that people like this play for our city and further proof that tradition and integrity can be tossed completely out the door for 15 minutes of glory.

Its not as if she decided to have a career overseas or live somewhere else, that would be fine. She decided to play against her country in competition....World round competition thats based not where you live but where you're from and who you are and traditionally you are to represent your heritage not your ego. Fuck her and Fuck what she's about.

monosylab1k
06-21-2008, 09:24 AM
but she's missing the reason 99.99 percent of people dream of competing in the olympics in the first place IMO.

endorsement deals?

oligarchy
06-21-2008, 09:59 AM
endorsement deals?

ding ding ding.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 12:03 PM
She's butthurt for not being selected but that doesn't or shouldn't give her the mentality to play for a competitor. I'm offended by her complete lack of honor all because her precious feelings are hurt. So what you didn't get picked this is your country where you were born and raised and you shit all over it just so you can get in the game some how some way. Its pathetic and embarrassing that people like this play for our city and further proof that tradition and integrity can be tossed completely out the door for 15 minutes of glory.

Its not as if she decided to have a career overseas or live somewhere else, that would be fine. She decided to play against her country in competition....World round competition thats based not where you live but where you're from and who you are and traditionally you are to represent your heritage not your ego. Fuck her and Fuck what she's about.

I think she's made it abundantly clear who she plays for.

O-Factor
06-21-2008, 12:08 PM
If you are not picked by your country to represent your country, then too fucking bad. You don't go represent another country.

It's an embarassment.

JamStone
06-21-2008, 12:15 PM
It's been going on for decades if not longer. Now it's a big deal because it's a U.S. citizen who has a little bit of celebrity. It's stupid. Jamaicans and other Central American sprinters have been playing for Canada for years. It's not very uncommon for an athlete to change citizenship so he or she can compete in the Olympics. There was an Olympic ice dancer last Olympics that was Canadian and switched citizenships to compete for the U.S. It happens regularly. And, it's not a big deal. While the spirit of the Olympics is embedded in national pride, there are many people, especially athletes, that believe the true essence of the Olympics includes the opportunity to compete at the highest level of athletic competition, and it's not only about nationalism and/or patriotism. It's a shame some people persecute Hammon when it's been going on for decades, if not centuries and it's perfectly acceptable to most people, including Olympic enthusiasts.

BacktoBasics
06-21-2008, 12:22 PM
It's been going on for decades if not longer. Now it's a big deal because it's a U.S. citizen who has a little bit of celebrity. It's stupid. Jamaicans and other Central American sprinters have been playing for Canada for years. It's not very uncommon for an athlete to change citizenship so he or she can compete in the Olympics. There was an Olympic ice dancer last Olympics that was Canadian and switched citizenships to compete for the U.S. It happens regularly. And, it's not a big deal. While the spirit of the Olympics is embedded in national pride, there are many people, especially athletes, that believe the true essence of the Olympics includes the opportunity to compete at the highest level of athletic competition, and it's not only about nationalism and/or patriotism. It's a shame some people persecute Hammon when it's been going on for decades, if not centuries and it's perfectly acceptable to most people, including Olympic enthusiasts.None of it is acceptable to me or probably most people, maybe people who have been exploiting the games and all its workings for decades are good with it but for most to the average joe I doubt they find it acceptable. I'm not picking and choosing who to persecute here. The fact that its been going on for decades has no bearing on my feelings about her. For many people this is their first time hearing of such a thing and likely had no idea that its a regular pattern. Just because it happens in other countries or has happened for scores of years doesn't make it any more acceptable.

I think the Olympics is the epitome of nationalism and/or patriotism. Thats the very thing thats supposed to drive these athletes. So fuck her and fuck what she stands for.

JamStone
06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Actually, the Olympics originated in Ancient Greece and were only among free Greek men. It didn't involve any other country but Greece. It wasn't about patriotism or nationalism. That's a contemporary view. It originated as and always has been the pursuit of the highest athletic competition, not national pride.

Even the modern Olympic games is about a celebration of athletic competition more so than national pride. It has evolved into something that involves patriotism, but at its foundation, it is an athletic competition.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Won't be long before countries are offering contracts to athletes to compete for them. The things that ruined pro sports for many of us are well on their way to ruining Olympic competition as well. I can't wait until the first athlete compares playing for your home country to slavery. That will be the sign that the transformation is complete.

Flight3107
06-21-2008, 02:35 PM

+1

BacktoBasics
06-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Actually, the Olympics originated in Ancient Greece and were only among free Greek men. It didn't involve any other country but Greece. It wasn't about patriotism or nationalism. That's a contemporary view. It originated as and always has been the pursuit of the highest athletic competition, not national pride.

Even the modern Olympic games is about a celebration of athletic competition more so than national pride. It has evolved into something that involves patriotism, but at its foundation, it is an athletic competition.When you say contemporary you mean the last 200 or so years. Don't forget the Boy Scouts originated on the premise of an easy way to get boys together to be easily molested and well we all know that didn't pan out.

It is more about patriotism than the sole pursuit of the highest quality of athlete because the medal system is based around your country not your personal name. Wether or not thats contempory thinking or not doesn't matter because we don't live in the past we live in the now and right now she's a fucking embarrassment to San Antonio, her American team, her peer, and all of America.

If she wanted to teleport her unpatriotic ass back 300 years ago to compete by past standards the by all means. I'm good with that.

JamStone
06-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Even in the last 120 years of the modern Olympics, it has been about athletic competition. Why do you think there are Olympic rules forbidding such things from happening? The Olympic committee isn't trying to prevent it from happening. You're butthurt over her being butthurt.

BacktoBasics
06-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Even in the last 120 years of the modern Olympics, it has been about athletic competition. Why do you think there are Olympic rules forbidding such things from happening? The Olympic committee isn't trying to prevent it from happening. You're butthurt over her being butthurt.
possibly but that doesn't change the fact that she simply looked for 15 minutes of fame at the expense of competing against her home country, thats not honorable and downright offensive. I think its shitty and unpatriotic to do that in a sport thats centered and marketed around your Country of origin and the fact that each person is there to defend and represent their birthplaces in competition. Obviously they aren't doing enough to keep this kind of thing from happening. Had she completely defected over I could understand but she's full blown American and only has citizenship over there based on the fact that she plays pro ball there. She obviously has no integrity.

If I saw her on the street I'd spit on her face then toss raw eggs at her head. I'd chant traitor traitor traitor then rape her, her mom, her sister and burn her village down. Then I'd toss her head on a wood stake in front of the front office of the Stars so the other nags will learn from her mistake. Fuck her and fuck her 15 minutes. She wants to be part of another country then go live there and denouce your American citizenship. You can't have you cake and eat it too. Fuck her and fuck her story.

monosylab1k
06-21-2008, 04:09 PM
wow the Olympics are honorable? News flash, there's one thing that drives the modern Olympics -

http://alphabeticaprime.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/100_dollar_bill.jpg

Same as everything else. Only they've got this one covered by the excuse of patriotism.

spurschick
06-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Lots of Olympic spirit around here. :sarcasm

spurastic
06-21-2008, 06:26 PM
If I saw her on the street I'd spit on her face then toss raw eggs at her head. I'd chant traitor traitor traitor then rape her, her mom, her sister and burn her village down. Then I'd toss her head on a wood stake in front of the front office of the Stars so the other nags will learn from her mistake. Fuck her and fuck her 15 minutes. She wants to be part of another country then go live there and denouce your American citizenship. You can't have you cake and eat it too. Fuck her and fuck her story.

You're one sick mf! I can't believe you wrote such sick shit. Get a life! Or are your really that sick. Then get help!

SenorSpur
06-21-2008, 06:50 PM
She's no traitor. She's doing what she has to do to fulfill her dream of competing on the world level. She's making her share of sacrifices to realize this dream. It's not like she's defecting or anything.

oligarchy
06-21-2008, 07:17 PM
http://www.mugshots.com/IMAGES/P__Aldrich-Ames.jpghttp://www.triplecrownsports.com/chill/images/players/2005/glamour/hammon_becky.jpg

Biggems
06-21-2008, 08:27 PM
so i guess tim duncan, patrick ewing, and hakeem olajuwon are all traitors......cause all of them played for team USA instead of their native countries......btw, their countries didnt have teams at the time, but that is no excuse, based on some of the arguments here.....national pride should win out in all cases right? What about in Tennis when Seles and Navritalova played for team USA (both are from Europe).....but that was acceptible too, right? Why, cause it was in favor of the US? Come to think about it, Tony Parker is from Belgium, yet is playing for France, oh the travesty and the lack of national pride in these people.....what is wrong with all these unpatriotic athletes.....

the traitor card is pure hogwash. I am neither for or against her decision. I respect that she is doing what she feels in her heart to be the right thing and that she is not backing down from any criticism. I also understand both sides of the argument, but I think those who call her a traitor are extremely close minded.

Go play for Russia Becky................and I will root for you to win Silver. I love me some Becky Hammon, but I am Red White and Blue all the way.

USA USA USA

Anti.Hero
06-21-2008, 08:28 PM
all these people mad she is playing for Russia are all losers.

Biggems
06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
possibly but that doesn't change the fact that she simply looked for 15 minutes of fame at the expense of competing against her home country, thats not honorable and downright offensive. I think its shitty and unpatriotic to do that in a sport thats centered and marketed around your Country of origin and the fact that each person is there to defend and represent their birthplaces in competition. Obviously they aren't doing enough to keep this kind of thing from happening. Had she completely defected over I could understand but she's full blown American and only has citizenship over there based on the fact that she plays pro ball there. She obviously has no integrity.

you make me wish u werent an American.......i cant believe our brave soldiers fight to defend your freedom of speech.

jack sommerset
06-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Who gives a shit. Olympics are f-ing stupid since they let the pro's in. People do that crap all the time now.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 09:32 PM
so i guess tim duncan, patrick ewing, and hakeem olajuwon are all traitors......

Fail.

As I recall all of them played college basketball in the US. Patrick Ewing was 13 when he moved to the US, and was 30 when he played for the US team, meaning he'd spent more than half his life in the US. Hakeem arrived at 18 and was on the USA team when he was 33. None of them have ever stopped living in the US with the exception of Hakeem who played for Toronto.

BTW, Timmy's been a US citizen since the day he was born. Residents of the USVI have had citizenship for about 80 years.

duncan228
06-21-2008, 09:48 PM
so i guess tim duncan, patrick ewing, and hakeem olajuwon are all traitors......cause all of them played for team USA instead of their native countries......btw, their countries didnt have teams at the time

There was a VI team when Duncan played, when the US played them in the qualifying he sat out the game out of respect for them.

Biggems
06-21-2008, 09:59 PM
There was a VI team when Duncan played, when the US played them in the qualifying he sat out the game out of respect for them.

nope....he had already played for Team USA before the VI team had been formed.....that is why he couldn't play for team VI. If there had been a team VI, he would have definitely played for them instead of team USA.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 10:01 PM

If memory serves, I think since Timmy had been on a US team before the VI team was assembled, he wouldn't have been allowed to play for the USA team ever again if he'd played for USVI in 2003. Seems like there was some rule like that so he had to play for USA, but he sat out just to show respect for the fact that he was put in that position by the rules. It's possible I dreamed that; I wasn't able to find confirmation of it, but that's the way I remember it.

Biggems
06-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Who gives a shit. Olympics are f-ing stupid since they let the pro's in. People do that crap all the time now.

I sort of agree......

the Olympics is supposed to be the best in amateur competition....unfortunately, people cheat to win (mostly cause winning means a quality life) as opposed to losing (which can bring shame upon the athlete and their family, ridicule, backlash from the government, or even death).....

Other countries have been using professional athletes for years....and so the USA started doing the same thing, not only in Basketball but other events as well...

The scoring officials have been horrible in many Olympics. Take the Roy Jones fight in Seoul. He destroyed that Korean boxer, but the officials said he lost the fight based on points....It was a complete sham. Then there was the 1972 gold medal basketball game where the US was robbed.

in 1984, didnt the russians boycott the Summer games, or was that 1980? Not just boycotts, but also all the terrorist activity that has gone on at the games......

The Olympics is supposed to be a gathering of the best amateur athletes in the world, coming together to display their talents, goodwill, and national pride........but it has become a political, corporate, watered down, and scandalous fiasco.

Just Joe
06-21-2008, 10:22 PM
She did it for the money. Period. She has a seven figure contract to play in Russia. She is popular in Russia. I'm sure it was an easy decision, and one most people would have made regardless of what they say.

monosylab1k
06-21-2008, 10:28 PM
The great thing about the United States is that Becky Hammon has the freedom to go play for Russia in the Olympics. Anyone calling her a traitor is a damn dirty Communist.

duncan228
06-21-2008, 10:29 PM
nope....he had already played for Team USA before the VI team had been formed.....that is why he couldn't play for team VI. If there had been a team VI, he would have definitely played for them instead of team USA.

If memory serves, I think since Timmy had been on a US team before the VI team was assembled, he wouldn't have been allowed to play for the USA team ever again if he'd played for USVI in 2003. Seems like there was some rule like that so he had to play for USA, but he sat out just to show respect for the fact that he was put in that position by the rules. It's possible I dreamed that; I wasn't able to find confirmation of it, but that's the way I remember it.

I stand corrected.

I remembered him sitting out of the qualifying game against the VI, I was impressed by his decision, but I forgot he had already been on a US team.

My memory of Duncan's international career is colored by his experience. His quotes from then stick with me. :lol

I am about 95 percent sure my FIBA career is over. I'll try not to share my experiences with anyone.

And the ever famous:

FIBA sucks.

anakha
06-22-2008, 12:44 AM
The great thing about the United States is that Becky Hammon has the freedom to go play for Russia in the Olympics. Anyone calling her a traitor is a damn dirty Communist.

What he said.

BacktoBasics
06-23-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't give a shit what you said. She should be burned at the stake and we should gather around to eat her remains to absorbed her soul into oblivion. I'm serious.....very very very serious. I would spit on her face and eat her ears and wear her jewelry as toe rings for the rest of my life!!!!

I have no issue if your country doesn't have a team and you've taken up residence in another country and they requested that you represent them. If America had no team and she decided to play for Russia I have no issue with that. It boils down to her ego and nothing more.

Her thought process went like this:

1. They didn't choose me :(
2. Fuck my Country
3. Fuck my teammates
4. Fuck my peers
5. Fuck my Country
6. Hooray my ego
7. Fuck my Country
8. Where do I sign up Russia?

BacktoBasics
06-23-2008, 09:44 AM
you make me wish u werent an American.......i cant believe our brave soldiers fight to defend your freedom of speech.yeah our brave soldiers fight to defend her freedom of choice to be a traitor and slap the faces of millions of americans. This is how Becky thanks their hard work by representing another country instead of lobbying to compete for team USA in four years. Her motto is

Can't join them....fight them.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Dude, she's not joining the Russian army. She's playing in the Olympics.

Take it down a few thousand notches, soldier.

oligarchy
06-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I don't give a shit what you said. She should be burned at the stake and we should gather around to eat her remains to absorbed her soul into oblivion. I'm serious.....very very very serious. I would spit on her face and eat her ears and wear her jewelry as toe rings for the rest of my life!!!!

I have no issue if your country doesn't have a team and you've taken up residence in another country and they requested that you represent them. If America had no team and she decided to play for Russia I have no issue with that. It boils down to her ego and nothing more.

Her thought process went like this:

1. They didn't choose me :(
2. Fuck my Country
3. Fuck my teammates
4. Fuck my peers
5. Fuck my Country
6. Hooray my ego
7. Fuck my Country
8. Where do I sign up Russia?

Do you care that she plays professionally in Russia? So you only care that she will play against the USA in Olympic GAMES? It's not war. There are much larger things to worry about than someone playing in a basketball game. Why don't you bitch about people buying foreign imports. Go listen to some Emo.

BacktoBasics
06-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Do you care that she plays professionally in Russia? So you only care that she will play against the USA in Olympic GAMES? It's not war. There are much larger things to worry about than someone playing in a basketball game. Why don't you bitch about people buying foreign imports. Go listen to some Emo.
I don't like emo. I don't have a problem with imports either. I have a problem with Becky little sweet all american traitor Becky. I will find Becky and eat each and every toe off then floss with her nails while I sponge bathe her decapitated head.

monosylab1k
06-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't like emo. I don't have a problem with imports either. I have a problem with Becky little sweet all american traitor Becky. I will find Becky and eat each and every toe off then floss with her nails while I sponge bathe her decapitated head.

:lol

oligarchy
06-23-2008, 10:29 AM

I'm sure you love Hakeem, just like you love you some emo. Cut your wrists, emo.

BacktoBasics
06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm sure you love Hakeem, just like you love you some emo. Cut your wrists, emo.I'm not a cutter unless its Becky Hammon. I have no feelings about Hakeem but the African people might...or do they not have TV's in Africa?

I'm sure they're all spears in the air hooka ubaba uba hoba fuck Hakeem uga uga :spears flying:.

shelshor
06-23-2008, 11:32 AM

in 1984, didnt the russians boycott the Summer games, or was that 1980? Not just boycotts, but also all the terrorist activity that has gone on at the games......

1984. In 1980, in one of Jimmy Peanut-er-Carter's few moments of assertiveness, the US boycotted the Moscow Olympics in protest over the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan

nil.ball
06-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I was an engineer working for Intel for all my life, after 10 years, my pay was about $100,000/yr. I was trying to gain the honor to join the most prestigious core team of engineers, it was my dream. Honestly, I deserved it, I was best of the best among the young engineers. But they never called me. Disappointed and disgruntled, I started looking job elsewhere. Then AMD came along, offer me the lead position on their core developer team also $200,000euro/yr. I took it within a heartbeat. After I submitted my resignation letter at Intel, the leader of the core team (that s.o.b voted against to promote me to that core team) exclaimed that I was a traitor to Intel. He said I had forgotten what they had taught me, value, patriotism, honor and knowledge.

well, i sent him a picture of me doing the birdie, framed.

Brutalis
06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Fuck that dumb bitch.

Reggie Miller
06-23-2008, 01:25 PM
The Archie Bunker types are looking at this backwards.

1) Russian basketball team hires you. This team plays in a league that is much more established and respected than the WNBA.

2) For eligibility and/or tax purposes, you apply for dual citizenship with the Russian Federated Republic.

3) Having obtained this, the Russians then ask you to play for their Olympic team, since you were not invited on the U.S. team.

4) Which situation would you prefer: a little bad press in the U.S., or possibly losing your job, your dual citizenship, etc., along with a LOT of bad press in Eastern Europe?

Call me crazy, but when the Russian national team came knocking, she pretty much only had one choice.

diego
06-23-2008, 04:14 PM
as jamstone and others have noted, this happens all the time. If the US didnt want her to participate for another team, all they had to do was have her be part of the roster in an official tourney (regardless of playing time), and she would become ineligible to play for any other country (btw, this is what happened to duncan- since he had represented the USA, he automatically lost the chance to play for the VI once they formed a team)

hammon had already lived and played in Russia, she had citizenship, so she was eligible. its not like the russians made her a citizen while she was living in san antonio. could she have refused? yes. did she have any good reason to? not that i know of.

there are tons of examples of US olympians that only spent a few years in the US. why is hammon any different?

and i wonder if the patriot backtobasics considers a cheat like marion jones a traitor.

Matt Bonner
06-23-2008, 04:15 PM

Hi Jeff.

BacktoBasics
06-23-2008, 04:21 PM
as jamstone and others have noted, this happens all the time. If the US didnt want her to participate for another team, all they had to do was have her be part of the roster in an official tourney (regardless of playing time), and she would become ineligible to play for any other country (btw, this is what happened to duncan- since he had represented the USA, he automatically lost the chance to play for the VI once they formed a team)

hammon had already lived and played in Russia, she had citizenship, so she was eligible. its not like the russians made her a citizen while she was living in san antonio. could she have refused? yes. did she have any good reason to? not that i know of.

there are tons of examples of US olympians that only spent a few years in the US. why is hammon any different?

and i wonder if the patriot backtobasics considers a cheat like marion jones a traitor.Yes I consider the cheat a traitor.

I already said I don't care that its happened other times. I hope she gets hit by a Russian Ice Cream Truck.