PDA

View Full Version : What am I?

Ballcox
06-17-2008, 04:18 PM
This is actually a serious question. As I've gotten older and we soon approach a presidential election I've been in the process of thinking more and more about what defines my own political views. The problem is that I'm not sure how my views align with a specific political party. So this question is part of a process I'm in currently (along with my own research and reading) to hopefully better define my own political ideology.

In reading the political forum lately, I feel that there are a number of individuals here who give a lot of time and thought to their political ideology-and it would be great to get some different perspectives on how I define myself politically. This is also just part of my own take on life, when you don't understand something completely-start asking questions, find information from any point of view you can. So, in advance, thanks for any and all input from individuals in this forum.

What I would like to do is just list out my positions on a number of different political topics and then see where members of this forum think I fall in the political spectrum. Again, any and all input is appreciated-whether it comes from the far right, left, middle, whatever.

* I am for a national health care plan
* I am for limitations on welfare-mainly individuals who continue to abuse this system for their own benefit
* I am for a better educational system, one which would include screening out kids who don't fit a traditional academic track and put them on a vocational track, also increased pay for teachers
* I am for the development of alternative energy sources, as well as looking at and expanding nuclear power sources
* I am for us getting out of Iraq, at the minimum setting a definite timetable for when we will get out in the next 1-2 years
* I am for immigration controls
* I am against the death penalty and our current prison system, would like to see more community corrections and substance abuse treatment in the prison system
* I am for better mental health services so that these individuals don't continue to overflow into the prison/health care system where they don't receive services which adequately address their needs
* I am for more public transportation and an infrastructure which supports public transportation
* I do feel at this time that I pay enough in taxes, I don't want to pay more taxes at this time
* I am for the legalization of marijuana, which includes medical uses

That's all I can think of right now concerning my perspective on politically oriented topics, I know I left some things out but my time was limited and just went through what came to mind at this time. Thanks again for any takes/views on where the above statements might put me in the political spectrum. :flag:

BRHornet45
06-17-2008, 04:37 PM
You sound somewhere in the middle, but more so liberal than conservative. Take this test and it will compare your views with the parties. Post your results :)

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_is_your_political_ideology

Wild Cobra
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
This is actually a serious question. As I've gotten older and we soon approach a presidential election I've been in the process of thinking more and more about what defines my own political views. The problem is that I'm not sure how my views align with a specific political party. So this question is part of a process I'm in currently (along with my own research and reading) to hopefully better define my own political ideology.

In reading the political forum lately, I feel that there are a number of individuals here who give a lot of time and thought to their political ideology-and it would be great to get some different perspectives on how I define myself politically. This is also just part of my own take on life, when you don't understand something completely-start asking questions, find information from any point of view you can. So, in advance, thanks for any and all input from individuals in this forum.

What I would like to do is just list out my positions on a number of different political topics and then see where members of this forum think I fall in the political spectrum. Again, any and all input is appreciated-whether it comes from the far right, left, middle, whatever.

* I am for limitations on welfare-mainly individuals who continue to abuse this system for their own benefit
* I am for a better educational system, one which would include screening out kids who don't fit a traditional academic track and put them on a vocational track, also increased pay for teachers
* I am for the development of alternative energy sources, as well as looking at and expanding nuclear power sources
* I am for us getting out of Iraq, at the minimum setting a definite timetable for when we will get out in the next 1-2 years
* I am against the death penalty and our current prison system, would like to see more community corrections and substance abuse treatment in the prison system
* I am for better mental health services so that these individuals don't continue to overflow into the prison/health care system where they don't receive services which adequately address their needs
* I am for more public transportation and an infrastructure which supports public transportation
* I do feel at this time that I pay enough in taxes, I don't want to pay more taxes at this time

That's all I can think of right now concerning my perspective on politically oriented topics, I know I left some things out but my time was limited and just went through what came to mind at this time. Thanks again for any takes/views on where the above statements might put me in the political spectrum. :flag:

I'd say mostly to the right and libertarian. The social aspect of single payer health care and public transportation are not libertarian aspects, but otherwise, check into the libertarian party.

Libertarian Party site (http://www.lp.org/)

wiki on Libertarian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian)

BRHornet45
06-17-2008, 04:42 PM
I'd say mostly to the right and libertarian. The social aspect of single payer health care and public transportation are not libertarian aspects, but otherwise, check into the libertarian party.

Libertarian Party site (http://www.lp.org/)

wiki on Libertarian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian)

Not to mention that most Libertarians are for the death penalty too.

Wild Cobra
06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Not to mention that most Libertarians are for the death penalty too.

That's one of the several issues that libertarians are mixed on, along with abortion. You are expected to be pro life or pro choice if republican or democrat, but either as a libertarian.

I missed the paying teachers more though. All the views I have heard from various libertarians require any added pay be merit pay, and that it still isn't the cure to fix the schools. Rather, abolish the Department of Education.

JoeChalupa
06-17-2008, 04:56 PM
I can agree with most of your post. I wouldn't go libertarian though.

boutons_
06-17-2008, 05:11 PM
"I am for limitations on welfare-mainly individuals who continue to abuse this system for their own benefit"

This is a right-wing canard, sorta like all the election-swing voter fraud that dubya's US Attorney's haven't found these last 7+ years, even when DoJ said their priority was to find and prosecute voter fraud. Total right-wing myth, part of their voter intimidation and disenfranchisement tactics.

The biggest welfare fraud is medicare/medicaid overbilling, often my doctors, HMO, everybody. And of course dubya's health bill making it illegal for govt to negotiate drug prices, gifting 100s of $Bs in profits to BigPharma. Makes welfare fraud the peanuts it actually is. Reagan's "Welfare Queen in a Cadillac" was pure lying bullshit.

And let's not forget the MIC fraud, KBR, Blackwater, etc that dubya's refuses to prosecute or even invetstigate, and fires military men who challenge the billing as unjustified.

Your list is quite progressive, and will be totally blocked/logjammed by Repugs in Congress if any of it ever gets there. Your list would require a lot of "change" but the Repugs are masters of legislative constipation.

Anti.Hero
06-17-2008, 05:15 PM
I am for a un-corrupt un-bureaucratic government that could actually accomplish any of that.

Unfortunately they will never, therefore I am me.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-18-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't mean this to sound nasty in any way. I promise that I am not making fun of you. I don't even know you. I am probably way off the mark but I think that, on this forum and in America overall, the great majority of people fit into the following two-penny analysis I've offerred.

If this post does make you angry or annoyed, then perhaps you need to begin asking youself different questions, thinking critically about our country, and learning the history and origins of American politics.

* You are for welfare for medicine BUT

* you are against welfare.

* You will support a government program that screens our children and decides, according to it's own standards, wheteher they should go to academic school/university or trade school and become a laborer. And you think this a a "better educational system.'

* You are for cheap electricity and gas.

* You are echoing the exact statments you've heard on tv for the past 1.5 years and you probably believe that one of the candidates actually belives he can this.

* You don't know that we already have them. Do you mean the ones we already have that are not enforced or the 'new' ones that you've heard promised by some candidate and that struck a chord?

Nice -- so, are you for privatized are state owned penal system? What are the disadvantages of one or the other?

You'd like the government to continue to take care of the mentally ill but in a new, better way. You are for welfare, but just for mental health.

* I like to government to provide all sorts of services, just some of which I've listed so far, but I think that they should be free of charge, but no welfare -- no -- I'm against welfare.

AMEN my brother. :hat

To answer your question: "Who Am I?" --

I think that you are typical of 99% of American voters. You have certain political feelings that you hold as ideas or philosophy. These feelings that you have seem to be generated from a reliance on the dominant media of our day and are, accordingly, absent any level of indirect thought or analysis.

Congratulations. You are a "Voter." You don't question the benefit or evils of a 2-party electoral system. Every four years you look for a candidate who appeals to you and others who you think are like you and you never look behind the veil of power-hungry promises and emotional appeals to see the actions taken by our public servants. Infact, you may not even be aware that those elected are not our bosses, but our servants.

101A
06-18-2008, 10:13 AM

There are levels of this. Do you just want everyone "covered", or do you think the whole thing should be owned, operated and controlled by the government? Moderate to liberal position.

Conservative position

Conservative position with a moderate/liberal kicker.

The question I would ask you is, "Do you know how much teacher's make?" Where I am in Pa, starting salary for a wet behind the ears college grad is $46,000 per year. That includes two weeks at X-Mas, another week in the Fall and Spring, and, of course, SUMMERS OFF. 9 month's work. Extrapolate that to a 12 month job, and it pays $60 K; STARTING!! Keep in mind education majors typically are on the very lowest end of the standardized test scores of college graduates. Still think they are under paid?

I haven't heard ANY politician be against alternative energy sources. Your position on nuclear would tilt you to the Conservative side.

Moderate position.

Moderate/Conservative position

Liberal position (though even as a staunch conservative, I oppose the death penalty - there is substance abuse treatment in prison - didn't help my brother in law; the only thing that has kept him off of crack is actually being locked up)

I don't know anybody who would oppose this, however, you will have very heated debates of what constitutes, "better". Often times conservatives will agree with a statement, but absolutely NOT want the government to undertake the correction of the problem stated.

Liberal position

Universal position; nobody wants to pay more taxes THEMSELVES; the question is, do you want OTHER people to pay YOUR share?

Liberal position that many conservatives might agree with

You are solidly moderate; but your waffling to the left and the right probably tracks with many posters on here who consider themselves liberal or conservative. I think the elephant in the living room question you need to answer is, "Do you trust the goverenment to fix the problems you see?" "Yes" means you are more liberal, "No" means you are more conservative.

101A
06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't mean this to sound nasty in any way. I promise that I am not making fun of you. I don't even know you. I am probably way off the mark but I think that, on this forum and in America overall, the great majority of people fit into the following two-penny analysis I've offerred.

If this post does make you angry or annoyed, then perhaps you need to begin asking youself different questions, thinking critically about our country, and learning the history and origins of American politics.

* You are for welfare for medicine BUT

* you are against welfare.

* You will support a government program that screens our children and decides, according to it's own standards, wheteher they should go to academic school/university or trade school and become a laborer. And you think this a a "better educational system.'

* You are for cheap electricity and gas.

* You are echoing the exact statments you've heard on tv for the past 1.5 years and you probably believe that one of the candidates actually belives he can this.

* You don't know that we already have them. Do you mean the ones we already have that are not enforced or the 'new' ones that you've heard promised by some candidate and that struck a chord?

Nice -- so, are you for privatized are state owned penal system? What are the disadvantages of one or the other?

You'd like the government to continue to take care of the mentally ill but in a new, better way. You are for welfare, but just for mental health.

* I like to government to provide all sorts of services, just some of which I've listed so far, but I think that they should be free of charge, but no welfare -- no -- I'm against welfare.

AMEN my brother. :hat

To answer your question: "Who Am I?" --

I think that you are typical of 99% of American voters. You have certain political feelings that you hold as ideas or philosophy. These feelings that you have seem to be generated from a reliance on the dominant media of our day and are, accordingly, absent any level of indirect thought or analysis.

Congratulations. You are a "Voter." You don't question the benefit or evils of a 2-party electoral system. Every four years you look for a candidate who appeals to you and others who you think are like you and you never look behind the veil of power-hungry promises and emotional appeals to see the actions taken by our public servants. Infact, you may not even be aware that those elected are not our bosses, but our servants.

Nice post, LB

boutons_
06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
"welfare for medicine"

Typical misrepresentation about what he said. National health care/insurance is not give-away welfare. Eternal right-wing scare mongering and lying.

Ballcox
06-18-2008, 11:45 AM
^ Want to thank above posters for replies. Many good points, observations and analysis, it's definitely given me alot to think about. Another question, any good recommendations on books out there that can help me further figure out my political takes?

I'm really in a process of trying NOT to be another sheep lead by popular opinion and the media, but I also realize the severe limitations of the two party system we have here in America. I'm also limited with the amount of time I can devote to this having 3 kids and a family to look after. The thing is, my parents never said shit to me about politics and I've slowly been trying to figure out just where I fit in with this limited political landscape we have.

Lebowski, appreciate your feedback and analysis of my positions-no offense taken at all.

101A
06-18-2008, 11:52 AM
^ Want to thank above posters for replies. Many good points, observations and analysis, it's definitely given me alot to think about. Another question, any good recommendations on books out there that can help me further figure out my political takes?

I'm really in a process of trying NOT to be another sheep lead by popular opinion and the media, but I also realize the severe limitations of the two party system we have here in America. I'm also limited with the amount of time I can devote to this having 3 kids and a family to look after. The thing is, my parents never said shit to me about politics and I've slowly been trying to figure out just where I fit in with this limited political landscape we have.

Lebowski, appreciate your feedback and analysis of my positions-no offense taken at all.

For a conservative slant:

"Democracy in America" by Alexis de'Toqueville
"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand

For a liberal slant:

Oh, nevermind, had some funny ones, but not gonna start shit in this thread.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-18-2008, 12:12 PM

I seriously applaud your attitude.

I'd start with The Declaration of Independence, The Articles of Confederation, The Federalist Papers, What the Anti-Federalists Were For, and The Constitution of the U.S. Try to find out why America was founded in the first place and on what type of govt. Why did the founding fathers design the govt the way they did? Then look around you and see how your society and opinions of govt. make sense in light of your answers to those questions.

Read Thomas Paine and The Auto-bio of the life of Frederick Douglas.

Can't really go wrong there. de'Toqueville is great but it's a HUGEbook.

Ballcox
06-18-2008, 02:04 PM
^ Thanks for suggestions on books, will look into that immediately. Also, interesting 101A mentioned Atlas Shrugged, one of my favorite books that I first read in high school and have read at least 2 times since. Thanks again.