PDA

View Full Version : Camby To Spurs?

Duncan2177
06-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Could Camby wind up in San Antonio?
Excerpt: Boston Globe
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Boston Globe is reporting that Marcus Camby's days as a Nugget could be limited:

"According to an NBA source, because he is the most attractive player they would be open to moving. It's no secret Denver is looking to trim salary after a disappointing season. Teams have shown little interest in Kenyon Martin and Nene because of their injury concerns and contracts. While the Nuggets would trade Allen Iverson, he is expected to exercise an option that will pay him a hefty $20.8 million next season. And while there have been rumors about Carmelo Anthony being moved, he is one of the most talented players and would be tough to replace. Somebody has to go, though. Camby, the 2007 Defensive Player of the Year, will make $11.25 million next season and $10.9 million in 2009-10. The 34-year-old averaged 9.1 points, 13.1 rebounds, and 3.6 blocks last season.

He could be a fit for a veteran team in need of a big man such as Detroit, San Antonio, Miami, or Dallas.

"You hear trade rumors every summer around this time," said Camby. "You just got to take it with a grain of salt. Denver is where I want to be. But I definitely want to be where I'm wanted."

Of course, acquiring a player like Camby would not make the Spurs younger, but it would certainly land them a solid rebounder and a very good defensive player (former Defensive Player of the Year and one of the top candidates for defensive player again this year). Camby was a member of the Knicks team that played the Spurs for the title in 1999.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99150

xtremesteven33
06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
not exactly what we NEED,but it would be great to have him, but i wouldnt put him as top priority.

Artest>Camby

anyday, anytime, anywhere...period

Twisted_Dawg
06-17-2008, 04:30 PM
So what players do we send back in return to cover that big salary?
This will never happen, nor should it ever happen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Please, no.

wisnub
06-17-2008, 04:52 PM
I'll take him. But I agree. Artest>Camby. Get sick n tired Spurs almost never got star from free agency or trade

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Besides, there's nothing we can package up for him.

djohn14
06-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Boy I tell you what, we could have used an extra rebound or two against LA. It was pathetic. We honestly had to quit trying because LA hit the turbo button and got all the boards.

td4mvp21
06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
While this team could use better rebounding, I'd much rather have a fourth scorer. The Spurs are a good rebounding team when they focus anyway. We have problems scoring.

dougp
06-17-2008, 05:32 PM
I'd rather get additional rebounding + scoring in Artest, along with re-signing Thomas. Give Thomas some additional time in the system and I see him working out well. We need big men who can score outside the paint when you have penetrators and Duncan ... does Camby have much of a shot?

Sense
06-17-2008, 05:50 PM
dont care what most of you say... ive been wanting marcus camby in a spurs uniform for a while now... excellent defender.. and having him next to tim would be amazing..

both great great shotblockers excellent defenders and he can shoot....

id take him over artest any day... we do not need artest...

Sense
06-17-2008, 05:51 PM
I'd rather get additional rebounding + scoring in Artest, along with re-signing Thomas. Give Thomas some additional time in the system and I see him working out well. We need big men who can score outside the paint when you have penetrators and Duncan ... does Camby have much of a shot?

yes.. he can pretty much shoot like Thomas...

Big P
06-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Boy I tell you what, we could have used an extra rebound or two against LA. It was pathetic. We honestly had to quit trying because LA hit the turbo button and got all the boards.

It would help if we were able to score some points....we need an offensive player brought in this summer...at this point I almost don't care who it is aslong as they can score in bunches...while Camby would be a nice player, he is definitly not needed with the kind money he is making over the next couple of years.

Brutalis
06-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Too much of a cap hit.

Tired of the Spurs going after old fucks as it is.

Spur-Addict
06-17-2008, 05:56 PM
While this team could use better rebounding, I'd much rather have a fourth scorer. The Spurs are a good rebounding team when they focus anyway. We have problems scoring.

Yeah, i'm sure we weren't fucused, that's certainly why we were out rebounded.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2008, 06:00 PM
What ~$10 mil in salary would the Spurs send back?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 06:01 PM
What ~$10 mil in salary would the Spurs send back?

Manu

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Why?

And his salary alone wouldn't be enough.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Why?

And his salary alone wouldn't be enough.

I have no clue.
Just something to get these Camby-huggers to shut up and realize there's no reasonable package to get him.

Sense
06-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I have no clue.
Just something to get these Camby-huggers to shut up and realize there's no reasonable package to get him.

the article never talks money..

and most of our responses are we'd love to have him...

or at least id love to see him on a spurs uniform...

now unless we start talking about a possible trade or sure go get him.. package him over here... etc.

dont tell the people who'd want to have him on the team to shut up..
instead you should do that...

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 06:11 PM
the article never talks money..
It doesn't have to. It's highly unlikely we get him.

and most of our responses are we'd love to have him...

or at least id love to see him on a spurs uniform...
Good for you.

now unless we start talking about a possible trade or sure go get him.. package him over here... etc.

dont tell the people who'd want to have him on the team to shut up..
instead you should do that...
Yea, no.

thekingrobert
06-17-2008, 06:14 PM
send finley horry and oberto

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 06:16 PM
send finley horry and oberto

Finley and Horry aren't tradeable right now.

gospursgojas
06-17-2008, 06:17 PM
thought the Spurs were trying to get younger

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Well, this is an interesting thought. JR is a RFA, so if they re-sign him then maybe we can make some kind of deal where Camby and JR are traded to the Spurs.

Now that I wouldn't mind.

Holt's Cat
06-17-2008, 06:19 PM
What ~$15 mil in salaries would the Spurs send back?

Biggems
06-18-2008, 09:43 PM
could getting Camby become feasible if we used Vaughn, Udoka, and a S&T with Horry?

ss1986v2
06-18-2008, 10:19 PM
could getting Camby become feasible if we used Vaughn, Udoka, and a S&T with Horry?
why would denver want that package? it doesnt save them any money next season, AND they get crap value for camby. wheres the incentive?

SenorSpur
06-19-2008, 01:28 AM
It's amazing how wild-ass rumors take life

Biggems
06-19-2008, 06:41 AM
why would denver want that package? it doesnt save them any money next season, AND they get crap value for camby. wheres the incentive?

Horry could be cut right away. Udoka would give them decent perimeter defense and some outside shooting. Vaughn is garbage.

I wasnt really looking at Denver's side of things......i am selfish, I am looking at the Spurs side of things and trying to see if it would be feasible under our cap situation

Supergirl
06-19-2008, 06:52 AM
We'd be sacrificing a position where we need more (Udoka) for one where we're basically OK. So, no I don't think we would do it.

travis2
06-19-2008, 06:59 AM
not another 6-pack-and-a-bag-of-chips thread...

genomefreak13
06-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Injury prone player...not a good deal for the spurs in the long run. Considering that the sound plan this year would be to get younger in an effort to build up for the future, having an injury prone player like Camby doesn't give the spurs their money's worth.

He may good this year or during the regular season. But there is no assurance that he'll be ok on the most important part time of the season.

MateoNeygro
06-19-2008, 08:10 AM
dont care what most of you say... ive been wanting marcus camby in a spurs uniform for a while now... excellent defender.. and having him next to tim would be amazing..

both great great shotblockers excellent defenders and he can shoot....

id take him over artest any day... we do not need artest...

I agree completely with the Camby part, I have wanted him as a spur for a while too, I think our D and rebounding would be outstanding with Camby next to Tim, But Artest would also help defensively and offensively I just think he's a little nutty but i'd still take Artest if he was available to us