PDA

View Full Version : Suns Interviewing Chip Engelland for Asst. Coach Job

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Additionally, the Suns have had talks with San Antonio Spurs assistant Chip England who has a reputation as one of the league’s best developers of talent.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/118762

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Crap.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Kerr, you little fucker...

ducks
06-17-2008, 06:31 PM
a shooting coach is not assistant coach

spurs should just chip a raise
then promate him with name title

SenorSpur
06-17-2008, 06:45 PM
No!

I'm afraid this interview could be a mere formality. Recall that it was Kerr who brought Engelland to the attention of Pop a couple of years ago. It was Kerr who had recommended the idea of having a shooting coach to Pop. It was Engelland who helped Kerr "tweak" his famous shooting touch.

If I remember correctly, they were college teammates or something. Therefore if this is true and Kerr does have his eye on Chip, he's probably as good as gone already, because of their long history together.

SPURSGOAT
06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Ah crap! So much for Parker developing an outside shot...

Don't do it Chip!

Cant_Be_Faded
06-17-2008, 06:48 PM
ROFL
there goes any hope of tony regaining the progress on his jumper that he lost due to ankle injury this past season.

ROFL
spurs organization will be known from going to best managed to biggest shitstorm in the course of 1 offseason.

Kindergarten Cop
06-17-2008, 06:51 PM
ROFL
there goes any hope of tony regaining the progress on his jumper that he lost due to ankle injury this past season.

ROFL
spurs organization will be known from going to best managed to biggest shitstorm in the course of 1 offseason.

Overexaggerate much?:(

Silverheart80
06-17-2008, 07:02 PM
We've got to keep this guy. I'm hoping that if we draft long, quick athletes with shooting deficiencies (CDR, for example), our X-factor is Chip. That strategy goes out the window if he splits....

GSH
06-17-2008, 07:02 PM
I know a lot of you remember the big decline of the Dallas Cowboys, at the end of the Tom Landry era. Part of that had to do with some of their star players aging and retiring. But another big factor was that the other teams in the league saw the Cowboys' organization as the model to emulate, and they began stripping assistant coaches right and left. I think that there were 5 Cowboys assistants who got head coaching jobs with other teams.

You shouldn't underestimate the effect of losing most all those assistants. It's an unavoidable side-effect of being the most successful team in professional sports for a decade. But it has to weaken the Spurs, and help those other teams. The going just keeps getting tougher.

SenorSpur
06-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I know a lot of you remember the big decline of the Dallas Cowboys, at the end of the Tom Landry era. Part of that had to do with some of their star players aging and retiring. But another big factor was that the other teams in the league saw the Cowboys' organization as the model to emulate, and they began stripping assistant coaches right and left. I think that there were 5 Cowboys assistants who got head coaching jobs with other teams.

You shouldn't underestimate the effect of losing most all those assistants. It's an unavoidable side-effect of being the most successful team in professional sports for a decade. But it has to weaken the Spurs, and help those other teams. The going just keeps getting tougher.

Excellent point.

Pop better up Chip's salary or promote his or something. We can't afford to lose this guy. Especially with young prospects coming. Developing a good shooting touch will be a critical phase in the development of our up-and-coming players.

Mr. Body
06-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Engelland has been Kerr's buddy and shooting coach for far longer than he's been employed by the Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Engelland has been Kerr's buddy and shooting coach for far longer than he's been employed by the Spurs.

I know. :depressed

SenorSpur
06-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Pop needs to attach a value to Chip. He should tell Kerr that in order to obtain Chip, he'll have to "unass" that 15th pick in the first round. :lol

Seriously though, this could be a HUGE loss for the Spurs coaching staff.

Borosai
06-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Look on the bright side: I'm available if the Spurs need to replace Chip.

Sp Ginobili 20
06-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Say no, Chip!

Kindergarten Cop
06-17-2008, 07:42 PM

Good point. It's likely that he would have never joined the Spurs in the first place, had it not been for Kerr.

There is no doubt that he is extremely valuable to our organization, but to say that we will be going from "best managed to biggest shitstorm in the course of 1 offseason" is going a bit overboard IMHO.

T Park
06-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Ah shit.

SpursFan0728
06-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Suns should fuck off and stop jacking our coaches
first bud now chip

Brutalis
06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
How come every fucking team tries to take our guys?

Seriously how many teams could we list??????????????????????

Mr. Body
06-17-2008, 08:34 PM
How come every fucking team tries to take our guys?

Seriously how many teams could we list??????????????????????

Like I pointed out, Engelland was Kerr's guy first.

Period.

GSH
06-17-2008, 08:39 PM

Period.

A former ball boy for John Wooden's UCLA teams in the early 1970s, Engelland has a basketball past as interesting as it is diverse. Born in Chicago and raised in Pacific Palisades, Calif., Engelland showed a keen interest in the sport in the seventh grade when a high school tennis coach spotted him shooting on an outdoor basketball court. The coach walked over and told the boy to keep his elbow in, wrist bent, and take nothing but shots from five and six feet out. "You learn the game like golf -- from the cup back," the coach said.

The advice stuck.

Five years later, Engelland passed along the same advice to another gangly youngster shooting baskets at the same outdoor court. The kid's name was Steve Kerr. Later, the two became friends, and when Kerr went on to play for the Chicago Bulls, Engelland became his personal shooting coach. "A better teacher than player," Engelland said, describing his career. Actually, Engelland was a better-than-average player. A 6-foot-4 guard, he earned a scholarship to Duke, where he was co-captain of the 1983 team and was a career 55.4 percent three-point shooter.

timvp
06-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Damn it. :pctoss

The Spurs finally became a pretty good free throw shooting team. TP and Duncan both trust Engelland for advice.

The Spurs better offer a pay raise that tops Sarver's off. However, if Kerr offers him the lead assistant job, he's for sure gone.

This summer is quickly headed in the wrong direction. Splitter. Manu playing for Argentina. TP perhaps playing for France. Engelland being wooed away . . .

timvp
06-17-2008, 08:44 PM

Period.Raja Bell was Pop's guy first. If the Suns want to trade Engelland for Bell, that'd be a different story.

Brutalis
06-17-2008, 08:48 PM

Period.

And?

My point stands. He is employed by our franchise, not Kerr. Yet anyways. And as I pointed out, how many of our guys get taken?

We need to keep tabs, make a list of former Spur staff that's elsewhere from promotions.

GSH
06-17-2008, 09:00 PM
From the moment he accepted the GM spot, Steve Kerr has been systematic in his efforts to disrupt the Spurs. Starting with his on-air comments, and repeatedly lobbying the league office about Bruce and Manu. Bud would have been a good choice for head coach, but I don't believe for a minute that Kerr was really serious about hiring him. I'm sure he is serious about bringing in Engelland. I'm also expecting some bullshit during the free-agent signing period.

I don't know if it's personal, or if it's just Kerr's competitive nature. Or both. I know a lot of people here still like him, but I'm no longer one of them. Some of his shit has been over the line and uncalled for. And if I'm right about Bud, that's just one more nail.

tmtcsc
06-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Shooting is not a problem for the Suns.

1Parker1
06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Shooting is not a problem for the Suns.

:lol

Udokafan05
06-17-2008, 10:01 PM
The only reason Kerr wants him is because shaq bricks every free throw he shoots.

The Truth #6
06-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Possibly to help Shaq shoot free throws. But yeah, they're high school friends. He's probably gone.

GSH
06-17-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm kinda shocked that teams aren't lining up to recruit any of Phil Jackson's assistants. Wouldn't you think the Zen Master would lose two or three every year?

SequSpur
06-17-2008, 11:54 PM
dude..he is an assistant coach. wtf? let him go...

Pop has this.

Budkin
06-17-2008, 11:57 PM
No no no no... no.

wisnub
06-17-2008, 11:59 PM
From the moment he accepted the GM spot, Steve Kerr has been systematic in his efforts to disrupt the Spurs. Starting with his on-air comments, and repeatedly lobbying the league office about Bruce and Manu. Bud would have been a good choice for head coach, but I don't believe for a minute that Kerr was really serious about hiring him. I'm sure he is serious about bringing in Engelland. I'm also expecting some bullshit during the free-agent signing period.

I don't know if it's personal, or if it's just Kerr's competitive nature. Or both. I know a lot of people here still like him, but I'm no longer one of them. Some of his shit has been over the line and uncalled for. And if I'm right about Bud, that's just one more nail.

Fook Steve Kerr, it looks like its personal...but u never know. FUCK SUNS...they always bad mouth Spurs,but deep inside their heart they always wanna be like us. FACTS: first they hire Kerr as GM, then they interview Buldenhozer, then Chip,God knows who's next...every trade they made have Spurs in mind. But we should leave ringless team alone. We still got homework to do in draft and free agency

:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :flag:

MagnusKrauss
06-18-2008, 12:31 AM
If we lose Chip, can we go after Tom Thibodeau?

dknights411
06-18-2008, 12:33 AM
This is nothing short of a coup

sunspride
06-18-2008, 04:11 AM
No!

I'm afraid this interview could be a mere formality. Recall that it was Kerr who brought Engelland to the attention of Pop a couple of years ago. It was Kerr who had recommended the idea of having a shooting coach to Pop. It was Engelland who helped Kerr "tweak" his famous shooting touch.

If I remember correctly, they were college teammates or something. Therefore if this is true and Kerr does have his eye on Chip, he's probably as good as gone already, because of their long history together.

they can't be teammates. chip went to duke. kerr to arizona.

caŽlo
06-18-2008, 04:20 AM
dont do it chip :(

a big part of who parker is now is because of chip.

pop give this guy a raise or sumtin!!!

angelbelow
06-18-2008, 04:59 AM
NOOOO not chip

ancestron
06-18-2008, 05:28 AM
I agree with tmtcsc

genomefreak13
06-18-2008, 05:49 AM
We're being destroyed one employee at a time...Damn!

SpurAddict561
06-18-2008, 10:01 AM
nooooooooooooooooo

he's the main reason Tony Parker has a reliable shot now

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Take Newman instead!

hater
06-18-2008, 10:06 AM
let him go. he has done all that could possibly be done with Parker an Duncan. now it's on them.

Supergirl
06-18-2008, 01:08 PM
No! Chip, don't go! Damn it, why do teams keep prying away our coaching staff?

T Park
06-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Fuck you Kerr.

Fuck

You

urunobili
06-18-2008, 01:56 PM
If we lose Chip, can we go after Tom Thibodeau?

:tu

T Park
06-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Lose a shooting coach and gain a defensive coach?

Defensive coaching isn't the problem with the Spurs :lol

SenorSpur
06-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Looks like the Suns have finalized their coaching candidates, so we may be safe now.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53087/20080620/phoenix_close_out_coaching_staff/

Blackjack
06-20-2008, 09:40 AM
According to Fox 29, the've been informed that Chip has turned down the Suns and has decided to remain with the Spurs.

degenerate_gambler
06-20-2008, 09:46 AM
According to Fox 29, the've been informed that Chip has turned down the Suns and has decided to remain with the Spurs.

that's badass..

caŽlo
06-20-2008, 09:47 AM

thank you chip.

now give the guy a raise pop

Silverheart80
06-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Much respect to Chuck Miketinic and all, but I won't popping the bubbly until this becomes substantiated by at least one other reliable source (i.e., non-Fox network). Still though -- if this holds true, wow -- HUGE, HUGE relief!! :downspin:

We need this guy. Do what it takes to keep him happy here.

Blackjack
06-20-2008, 10:01 AM
thank you chip.

now give the guy a raise pop

Yeah, a raise and an versatile swingman(cough...Dominic McGuire cough..:hat) who's in need of a shot-doctor.

remingtonbo2001
06-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Woot.

timvp
06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
According to Fox 29, the've been informed that Chip has turned down the Suns and has decided to remain with the Spurs.Props to Chip if that is the case. However, I don't think he could have gotten out of his Spurs contract anyways unless Kerr was going to give him a title higher than assistant coach.

Chip staying (hopefully it becomes official soon) is good news. I'm not sold he really helps as much as he gets credit for but he's at least a coach who all the players trust. Tim Duncan for one won't listen to criticism about his form from anyone other than Chip.

SenorSpur
06-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Props to Chip if that is the case. However, I don't think he could have gotten out of his Spurs contract anyways unless Kerr was going to give him a title higher than assistant coach.

Chip staying (hopefully it becomes official soon) is good news. I'm not sold he really helps as much as he gets credit for but he's at least a coach who all the players trust. Tim Duncan for one won't listen to criticism about his form from anyone other than Chip.

Didn't know Duncan was even open to listening to Chip. :lol

SenorSpur
06-20-2008, 11:41 AM
This is good news because hopefully we'll have a couple of new young players aboard that could really benefit from Chip's tutelage.

TheProfessor
06-20-2008, 11:44 AM
This is good news because hopefully we'll have a couple of new young players aboard that could really benefit from Chip's tutelage.
I was thinking especially about Kyle Weaver; his mechanics could really use a shooting coach of Chip's caliber.

T Park
06-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Props to Chip if that is the case. However, I don't think he could have gotten out of his Spurs contract anyways unless Kerr was going to give him a title higher than assistant coach.

Eh I think Chip does a pretty good job.

I mean look at what hes done with Oberto. Oberto used to be someone who could barely hit a layup. Now he can knock down that 10 footer semi consistently. His FT shooting also has improved every year since hes been in SA. I'd like to think that Chip has something to do with that. I think though Parker's semi stagnation in his development on his jumper this year was a tad alarming.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Eh I think Chip does a pretty good job.

I mean look at what hes done with Oberto. Oberto used to be someone who could barely hit a layup. Now he can knock down that 10 footer semi consistently. His FT shooting also has improved every year since hes been in SA. I'd like to think that Chip has something to do with that. I think though Parker's semi stagnation in his development on his jumper this year was a tad alarming.

I wonder if that had to do more with his injuries.

m33p0
06-21-2008, 01:32 AM
next thing you know, Kerr will be interviewing Pop himself to coach the Suns.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Nah, what will happen is that the Suns will struggle through the first injury plagued 18 games of next season and Kerr will fire Porter and take over head coaching duties then. The Suns will continue to struggle all season long before ending up with one of the league's worst records. Then they will win the Draft Lottery and select BJ Mullens, who will form a fearsome Twin Towers combo with Shaq.

exstatic
06-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I think it was just an assessment of the teams. The Suns big three are older than ours. Why would he hitch his wagon to that? It was a smart move by Kerr, though. The thought of anyone fixing Shaq's FT stroke, even in his current broken down old condition, gives me nightmares.

Shaq 36
Nash 34
Amare 25

Dunc 32
Manu 30
Tony 26

Mark in Austin
06-21-2008, 11:40 AM

As Spurs fans well know, chemistry is just as critical, if not more so than talent when it comes to building a championship team. Are there more talented coaches overall than Chip? Sure. Better "shot doctors"? Possibly. But if he has the trust of some of the players, especially Tim, I'll take that over a more talented coach any day.